US forces not flying the flag in Haiti?

posted at 11:36 am on March 16, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

With apologies to Cole Porter — France does it, the UK does it, and even humanitarian Croats do it.  The only one who won’t do it is the country that has sent the overwhelming majority of supplies and resources to Haiti after their devastating earthquake.  The US refuses to fly its flag at its main relief installation in Port-au-Prince, and Army Times wonders why:

The many nations helping Haiti recover from the devastating earthquake that struck there have set up their own military compounds and fly their flags at the entrances.

France’s tricolor, Britain’s Union Jack and even Croatia’s coat of arms flap in the breeze.

But the country whose contributions dwarf the rest of the world’s — the United States — has no flag at its main installation near the Port-au-Prince airport.

The lack of the Stars and Stripes does not sit well with some veterans and servicemembers who say the U.S. government should be proud to fly the flag in Haiti, given the amount of money and manpower the U.S. is donating to help the country recover from the Jan. 12 quake.

The Obama administration says flying the flag could give Haiti the wrong idea.

“We are not here as an occupation force, but as an international partner committed to supporting the government of Haiti on the road to recovery,” the U.S. government’s Haiti Joint Information Center said in response to a query about the flag.

At first blush, it seems as though the Obama administration has been buffaloed by the French into hiding Old Glory.  In the immediate aftermath of the quake and our initial response, France accused the US of conducting a de facto “occupation” of Haiti.  Not surprisingly, Venezuela and Nicaragua followed suit.  Ironically, the French don’t seem terribly concerned with flying their flag over Haiti despite their status as its original colonizer.

The decision not to fly the flag is an embarrassment of weakness on the part of Obama.  Our nation has conducted relief efforts for decades through our military, saving millions of people from death, disease, and starvation.  Like France, Britain, and Croatia, we have flown our flag during those operations not to note occupation but to represent the American people’s solidarity with those suffering from disaster.  That historical record is answer itself to the lunatics in Venezuela, Nicaragua, and even France who indulge in paranoid hysteria.

Fly the flag, Mr. President.  Let our actions speak for themselves, but demonstrate that we aren’t ashamed to arrive anywhere in the world with that flag flying proudly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Do you understand the difference between a single action and a pattern of behavior?

MarkTheGreat on March 16, 2010 at 1:44 PM

care to elaborate about obama’s pattern of personally ordering troops not to fly the flag?

sesquipedalian on March 16, 2010 at 1:53 PM

sesquipedalian on March 16, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Do you like making yourself look stupid? If so, congratulations, you are really good at it.

MarkTheGreat on March 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM

2012 can’t come soon enough, jeezus…

RedbonePro on March 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM

About a hundred years ago we invaded to expell a hated dictator, 30 years ago we helped arrange the ouster of the Duvaliers, who were also hated by most of the people.

Just because the US gets involved is not evidence that we are doing wrong.

MarkTheGreat on March 16, 2010 at 1:38 PM
Bullsh*t. The 20 year american occupation was done out of “protecting american foreign interests” in Haiti not out of some altruism for the Hatian people. The president who was ousted and forced into exile by the HAITIAN people themselves before occupation was actually on friendly terms with the United States and was viewed as a puppet of the americans. He was also the dictator who you might of been referring to however we liked him just fine because he acted in our interests. When Woodrow Wilson saw that the haitians were about to put in power Rosalvo Bobo, someone with a hostile view towards the united states, that is when we acted to assert influence in the region to our favor and even worked to convince Bobo, who was popular in haiti from running.

This story sounds oddly familiar and repeats itself throughout history. The United States when it can should act in its own interest and in the interest of the country our government should act in such a way because no one is going to do it for us however don’t sugarcoat it and pretend we did it as a favor to the haitian people.

Norvell on March 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM

sesquipedalian

Read the quote:

A PATTERN OF BEHAVIOR. Want to discuss Barry’s ‘World Apology Tour’?

GarandFan on March 16, 2010 at 1:58 PM

A PATTERN OF BEHAVIOR. Want to discuss Barry’s ‘World Apology Tour’?

GarandFan on March 16, 2010 at 1:58 PM

i’m not your psychologist.

sesquipedalian on March 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Feckless Gal:

Uh, have you been sippin’ the “Texas tea” again before lunch sweetie?

max1 on March 16, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Seems you have a reading comprehension deficit. I’m curious why you felt it necessary to repeat my comment out of context but I suspect it is a personal issue. Any way like I said:

The problem with US foreign policy is that it changes with just about each WH administration.

Texas Gal on March 16, 2010 at 1:34 PM

And by that I mean foreign policy is by it’s nature intended to protect the self interest of the particular country but in the US the determination of our self interest now runs the gambit from accepting responsibility as the big dog as in most Republican administrations or playing the role of the poodle as in most Democratic administrations. No wonder it concerns our allies, if I was them, I’d be concerned too.

Texas Gal on March 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM

2012 can’t come soon enough, jeezus…

RedbonePro on March 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Maybe so … but understand that the US ain’t making it to 2012, intact.

neurosculptor on March 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Norvell on March 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Liberal fantasies are never ending and impenetrable.

MarkTheGreat on March 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM

i’m not your psychologist.

sesquipedalian on March 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Do they allow second graders to do that?

MarkTheGreat on March 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM

A PATTERN OF BEHAVIOR. Want to discuss Barry’s ‘World Apology Tour’?

GarandFan on March 16, 2010 at 1:58 PM

That was the “World Traitor Tour“. He wasn’t “apologizing”, but merely using that mechanism to smear and denigrate the US. He should have been impeached for that despicable display.

neurosculptor on March 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Naturally, trolls show up to defend being ashamed of the flag.

Akzed on March 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Texas Gal said:
You know making accusation about the current American administration’s intent where foreign policy is concerned is kind of like a spouse who accuses every other future spouse of committing the same indiscretions because the previous spouse did it.

Texas Gal:

the reason I repeated your above comment was because for the life of me I can’t figure out what the heck you’re talkin’ about…. (sounds a little like you are suggesting that we ought not to be criticizin’ Obozo)… and I love Texas women (generally)

max1 on March 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Liberal fantasies are never ending and impenetrable.

MarkTheGreat on March 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM

seems like your pattern of behavior is to offer one line critique without any substance. Oddly enough you had nothing to refute what is historical fact.

Norvell on March 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM

C’mon, Sesquipedalian has a point. We are serial imperialist occupiers.

Just go and ask the Germans, the Italians, the Japanese, the South Koreans, the Flipinos, and don’t ferget Texas and the whole Aztlan southwest.

I’m sure they’d all agree that if it weren’t for that darn American meddling they’d all be better off!

Bruno Strozek on March 16, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Texas Gal:

max1 on March 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Personally I think it is insulting to dismiss a person’s comment because you don’t grasp the analogy. I figured you had zeroed in on my ‘current adminsitration’ wording and read it as Obama administration when that was not my intent. That’s why I repeated my closing sentence.

Texas Gal on March 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Norvell on March 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Just pointing out that what you wish to be relevant, isn’t. Except to those whose whole world view is based on the assumption that everything the US does is evil.

MarkTheGreat on March 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Bruno Strozek on March 16, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Yep. As the Indians once said, “Well, there goes the neighborhood.” **snort**

Yeah. Don’t mind us, Haitians. Just because we’re in U.S. military uniforms, drive U.S. military vehicles, use U.S. military equipment, doesn’t give us the right to fly the flag of our nation. And, while we’re at it, we’ll take down all the flags at every U.S. Embassy around the world, because it might offend someone. /

kingsjester on March 16, 2010 at 2:18 PM

a) It would be racist.

b) It would make us look like imperialist invaders.

c) It would make us look like racist imperialist invaders.

d) All of the above.

manwithblackhat on March 16, 2010 at 2:19 PM

a) It would be The American flag is racist.

b) It The American flag would make us look like imperialist invaders.

c) It The American flag would make us look like racist imperialist invaders.

d) All of the above.

manwithblackhat on March 16, 2010 at 2:19 PM

That may well be the most succinct description of Obama’s foreign policy I’ve ever seen.

logis on March 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM

“haiti relief occupation” google search brings up plenty of websites with wackos who think we’re trying to invade haiti. The point is that the perception exists and the last place that perception needs to be is where we are trying to help. To minimize further problems I can see where they were coming from in regards to this decision but as I stated several times before I find it unnecessary.

Norvell on March 16, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Some of those “wackos” are mainstream Leftist groups like Common Dreams, and also the widely read Leftist UK newspapers. And many colleges and universities are having “teach-ins” propagating the same thing. Apparently they’re the ones O’bama listened to.

Del Dolemonte on March 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM

a) It would be The American flag is racist.

b) It The American flag would make us look like imperialist invaders.

c) It The American flag would make us look like racist imperialist invaders.

d) All of the above.

manwithblackhat on March 16, 2010 at 2:19 PM

logis on March 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM

And there’s the rub.

Texas Gal on March 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I bet the troops would be encouraged to burn an American flag in Haiti, though …

That is the America we have, today. Thanks 52%. You should all burn in hell.

neurosculptor on March 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Ed, that’s because France has such a warm and loving legacy in Haiti

Fly the flag, Mr. President. Let our actions speak for themselves

Maybe Obama doesn’t want people to know who is using torture techniques on the Haitians.

BDU-33 on March 16, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Norvell on March 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I reject your revisionist views on “American Imperialism” but it really is beside the point here since this is a HUMANITARIAN mission and not seeking to depose the Haitian government. You need to divorce your left-of-center propaganda about the early 20th century (you went to public school didn’t you?) from the reality of what is on television almost a decade into the 21st century.

highhopes on March 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM

We shouldn’t be in Haiti any way . They have no weaspons of mass destruction .

borntoraisehogs on March 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Texas Gal on March 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM

well, er, uh, stop making dumb analogies then…and the Obama administration is in fact the current one…

max1 on March 16, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I’m still trying to get over the fact that he quoted an editorial by a fellow loon in the Guardian as evidence that the Haitian people view this humanitarian mission as being an occupation.

MarkTheGreat on March 16, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Well, apparently we are ashamed, and I’m starting to understand why. Unlike Reagan, this man isn’t trying to make us proud of our country but instead make us realize how much we need to apologize for.

It’s stupid though, as this won’t stop people from calling us occupiers.

Esthier on March 16, 2010 at 2:42 PM

There is pretzel logic involved in Oboobi’s thinking. Wherein: He, like his “better-half-and-a-half,” is only proud of this country when this country shows signs of big change. What warms the cockles of his dark heart is seeing anything that America has held sacred go the way of the washwater.
… i really hate this POS.

max1 on March 16, 2010 at 2:49 PM

2012 can’t come soon enough, jeezus…

RedbonePro on March 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Nor can 2010. That’s when the tide turns on this a-hole’s destructive policies and ideologies and we begin to rid ourselves of the fascist bassturds in congress who support him.

Goldy1 on March 16, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I get the impression that anyone in Haiti that has studied much US history wishes we were occupying them.

Count to 10 on March 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM

We shouldn’t be in Haiti any way . They have no weaspons of mass destruction .

borntoraisehogs on March 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Well, their shoddy building practices seem to have chalked up enough of a death toll to qualify.

Count to 10 on March 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Texas Gal on March 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM

max1 on March 16, 2010 at 2:40 PM

LOL.. I see you are the authority on dumb analogies.

Ah the intellectual divide.. I was speaking in objective terms when I said current administration but I do understand how that sounds in a echo chamber. I’ve no problem with criticizing the Obama administration when it is warranted, which is most of the time. But to say that Sarkozy was justified in calling the US humanitarian mission to Haiti an occupation because a previous UN sanctioned invasion led by the US turned into an occupation is just liberal drool. It the same kind of crap that was spewed by the liberal loons when we invaded Iraq and took out Saddam which caused the lefty lunatics to plaster the pic of Rumsfeld shaking Saddam’s hand all over the internet.

Texas Gal on March 16, 2010 at 3:27 PM

who the heck said that? Certainly not moi…

max1 on March 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM

WTF – you’re only supposed to fly the flag when you’re occupying???? Funny, I thought it had a lot to do with identifying who was there to help. Silly me.

marge on March 16, 2010 at 3:50 PM

who the heck said that? Certainly not moi…

max1 on March 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I didn’t say you did.

Texas Gal on March 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Yeah, why on earth could make you think this kind of people deserve to fly their flag?

/SARC aside, you need to see this photo:

Doorgunner on March 16, 2010 at 4:25 PM

And a hearty “get bent” to you Mr. President!

Mason on March 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Just read a min. ago… this needs full-court press attention ASAP.

RD on March 16, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I heard this today on my car radio, and was thinking about the elections in Iran. People were slaughtered in the streets and obama didn’t say a word for over eleven days. Not one word!

I was outraged that there are no American flags in Haiti. Then I realized that I don’t have an American flag on my own house in Tennessee (many of my neighbors do). I called my husbands office and asked him to bring home a big beautiful American flag to hang on our house for all the world to see!

Red, White, & Blue, forever may she PROUDLY wave!!!

TN Mom on March 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM

TN Mom on March 16, 2010 at 4:33 PM

President Biden.

noblejones on March 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Norvell on March 16, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM

My reaction to the campus activists: Okay, fine, but now that France and others are flying their flags while the U.S. is not, why are you suggesting the world should discriminate against the U.S.? I thought discrimination was “evil”. Or are you saying, every country should stand down their flag? In which case I’m confused — why haven’t you called for that yet? Not a peep from these campus groups so far.

RD on March 16, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Same thing with Obama’s distaste for flag lapel pins during the election – he merely wanted to assure us that he wasn’t coming as an occupier….

Venusian Visitor on March 16, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Maybe Obama wants us to fly the Indonesian flag?

peski on March 16, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Considering his attitude toward Israel, he’d probably like us to fly the Iranian flag.

jimmy2shoes on March 16, 2010 at 5:08 PM

…Whose broad stripes and bright stars,
Through the perilous night,
O’er the ramparts we watched,
Were so gallantly…..

…Surrendered to the French by Obama!!

landlines on March 16, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Text of Rush Limbaugh’s comments on this

BTW I posted this story last night here on Hotair

William Amos on March 16, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Time to storm the Bastille….

This sob president proves daily that he has a distaste for and simply does not like our country. Get him OUT…

highninside on March 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Obama’s behind the flag 3000 per cent?

chickasaw42 on March 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM

You really should specify which flag to fly.
Crawford on March 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM

The one with 49 stars?

DSchoen on March 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I would love to see a base commander disobey this order.

baldilocks on March 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I just remembered sending you this Ed last year

Obama salutes Gabon Flag.

William Amos on March 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I bet if there was a big O on that flag he would order it to be flown.

boomer on March 16, 2010 at 7:44 PM

I just remembered sending you this Ed last year

Obama salutes Gabon Flag.

William Amos on March 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I’m sure everything O’bama “knew” at the time about Gabon came from his watching the flawed yet fascinating Robert Altman film “O.C. and Stiggs”.

But if he had bothered to do some research, he would know that Gabon is a member of OPEC, and so an enemy of his.

Del Dolemonte on March 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Fly the flag, Mr. President. Let our actions speak for themselves, but demonstrate that we aren’t ashamed to arrive anywhere in the world with that flag flying proudly

Quite right! Is it not enough to slap the face of this Nation, but you have such disrespect for our Military that you force them to barrack themselves in a compound that does not allow them to fly the Colors. In what world is this appropriate?
I’m not sure who the A-Hole is that ordered this, but it needs to be corrected, and Obama himself should be the one to do it, then again, it would not surprise me if he ordered it.
YO BO, when France calls you out, and you whimper…That says something. Than again, they seem to be a little touchy about ocupation…
I’m often asked why I choose the M-14, I say “It’s reliable, it runs like a Frenchman under fire”

FLY THE FLAG!!!!!!

M-14 2go on March 16, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Obeyme never fought for, supported or loves this country. So screw him and his supporters. We will have to be ready to fight, bleed and die for the country we love. You think this USMC Vietnam combat vet dramatic? You may want to think again.

MNDavenotPC on March 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM

bama is the worst excuse for a “president” in the history of the US!!

Bring back ol peanut J. Carter for a breath of fresh air from the bama stench.

jgdp on March 16, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Too many of my countrymen and women have died under the flag of the United States of America for some law professor to hide it in shame. If you aren’t proud of what that flag represents then shame on you and NOT them! Although I’m not surprised to learn of this situation, I AM beyond shock at the implications. Obama truly is not an American. He has to go.

Metanis on March 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Forgive me is someone has already posted this link. Please listen to it. Johnny Cash – This Ragged Old Flag

Metanis on March 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM

I look at the History of America and I see much to thank God for and much to be proud of. It is strange how a leftard (like Obama) only sees atrocities, racism, imperialism, and genocide. They feel shame and assume everybody else either shares their twisted world-view or they are the enemy. If you are not proud of America and what it’s flag represents then you have no business trying to lead this great, God blessed nation.

bindare on March 17, 2010 at 12:13 AM

FLY THE FLAG!!!!!!

M-14 2go on March 16, 2010 at 8:12 PM

OOOOOO yea
h! Can I have your love chid?

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Obama doesn’t have a clue. Even Haitians don’t want to occupy Haiti

Ripama on March 17, 2010 at 12:47 AM

If only obama could catch Ebola Zaire

Sonosam on March 17, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Well, its not like this is news or anything. Tell the truth folks. Who here is actually surprised at this? Nothing this President does surprises me now. I fly the flag every day in front of my house in Texas. Just let somebody try and tell me to take it down.

gordo on March 17, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Not the least bit surprising at all from this Admin.

Just another example of how they despise their country…… but don’t question their patriotism.

The Left loves America only so much as they can fundamentally alter it.

Yakko77 on March 17, 2010 at 11:32 AM

At one time, this would have really irked me. Back then, I felt we had the moral authority to proudly fly a flag that had shown the world what free men could accomplish outside of tyranny. Now, with BO’s and the proglibarxist’s in charge, it’s apparent we have little in the way of moral authority left. They have soiled a flag that used to represent the best mankind had to offer a world that desperately needed hope.

ClanDerson on March 17, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Does Obama consider Old Glory to be his flag?

I doubt it

Although if the Dems have to put on a press conference they will throw a bunch of flags in the background. Cheap symbols of patriotism cost nothing and sometimes work. It may even be something to laugh at, at close of business when they are doing their polling.

entagor on March 17, 2010 at 12:59 PM