Slaughter strategy ripped by … Blanche Lincoln

posted at 6:34 pm on March 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

I don’t get it. We’ve been assured over and over and over by Democratic mouthpieces that the public couldn’t care less how filthy or unconstitutional the process is by which this travesty passes the House. And yet here’s a Democrat at grave risk of losing in November getting out in front of even most Republicans to condemn Slaughter’s strategy.

This is why she needs to be primaried, I guess.

The floor maneuver has been used in the past, but Lincoln said it should not be appropriate as a way to pass monumental health care reform.

“Arkansans and most Americans are demanding more accountability from Washington, not less, so I believe that any plan to approve major reform without actually voting for it simply won’t fly outside the beltway,” Lincoln said. “The Senate had a full and transparent debate on health care reform last year. Because of my efforts, the original Senate proposal and the final Senate bill were both posted online 72 hours prior to their respective votes so that the public could review the bills. I took the additional step to post to my official Web site the bill language and every amendment that the full Senate considered to give Arkansans the opportunity to review the proposals.

“The House should vote on the Senate health bill under normal rules. I noticed that Bill Halter has called for more accountability in Washington, so I expect him to stand with me and support transparency throughout these final stages of the debate on health insurance reform.”

So confident is she of this issue’s toxicity that she’s actually trying to make it an issue in the Democratic primary. Here’s hoping that Halter, as a favorite of the fightin’ fightin’ nutroots, chooses to throw down with her by defending the procedure. The “you rubes don’t care how we do things” position deserves a defense too, my friends. In fact, if all goes according to plan, many, many Democrats will have a chance to take a stand on its behalf later this week. I’m counting the minutes.

For your viewing pleasure, here’s Clyburn on Fox this morning trying and utterly failing to explain what it means to “deem” a bill passed in the House. Skip ahead to 2:47.

Comments

Call me when Harry Reid rips it. As it were.

fiatboomer on March 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM

The idea that passing this motion illegally will be OK because the bill is so great borders somewhere between criminality and insanity.

rob verdi on March 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Slaughter strategy ripped by … Blanche Lincoln

You dumb b!tch – if you had not voted for cloture in December this bill would have been killed.

You are responsible for the death of liberty.

Branch Rickey on March 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM

memo to the dems:
If the bill was something to be proud of your caucus wouldn’t be running away from it.

rob verdi on March 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM

How can she call it “reform” with a straight face?

Elizabetty on March 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Blanche Lincoln is still “toast”…

Buh-bye… It’s time for you to go…

Don’t go away mad… Just go away…

Khun Joe on March 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I don’t know if anyone else has mentioned it, but what about the advisors being held to account for a favorable opinion covering for this Slaughter Rule…you know like the Bush DOJ lawyers and “torture”?

califdreamnred on March 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Forgive me but I hate all those people. When someone will lie to you like that it’s just sickening.

Mojave Mark on March 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Predictable. She’s putting up token opposition to sleezy strategies after she voted for legislation that contained appropriations to purchase “yea” votes.

amerpundit on March 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM

What people don’t know is that the “Slaughter” in the Slaughter strategy is what National Socialist Healthcare will do to the economy.

Chip on March 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Because of my efforts, the original Senate proposal and the final Senate bill were both posted online 72 hours prior to their respective votes so that the public could review the bills. I completely sold out my constituants, but, we did get some dandy pork in return.

I took the additional step to post to my official Web site the bill language and every amendment that the full Senate considered to give Arkansans the opportunity to review the proposals. to back peddle like a razorback runnin’ snout first into an electric-like fence.

Chewy the Lab on March 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Question: Is the “Demon Pass” the same thing as the SS?

Chip on March 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Good Lord Almighty … I just surprised his head didn’t burst into flames.

darwin on March 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Poor Blanche. Too late to feign righteous indignation now. You have contributed to the vehicle to your own unemployment.

kingsjester on March 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Too late. Tell us Ms. Lincoln…can you spell T-O-A-S-T?

Yellowdog12 on March 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Bye Bye Blanche

A little too late. See you in the unemployment line with that red headed chick.

Knucklehead on March 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Exactly.

neurosculptor on March 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Paging our diickless senior Republic statesmen/women: WTF!! Where are you if you’re not grandstanding the hell out of this on the Capitol step?! Where are you:
-McLame
-McGrahamnesty
-Snow
-Kyle

And even the ones we like? Where are you:
-Sessions
-DeMint
-Cornyn

And where is darling Scott Brown? Shooting round-the-world-hoops in the gym with Rahm? The time to go primal and scream blue murder is NOW! Here, I’ll get you started:
Article 1, Section 7!
Article 1, Section 7!
Article 1, Section 7!

It writes itself.

Western_Civ on March 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I really hope that if this thing goes down in flames that we have some righteous comedy gold threads for a few days.

ted c on March 16, 2010 at 6:53 PM

No thanks. I am not watching this fruitcake..I hope the good folks vote this idiot out of congress.

hawkman on March 16, 2010 at 6:54 PM

How can she call it “reform” with a straight face?

Elizabetty on March 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM

A well paid actor can say anything with a straight face.

Dark-Star on March 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM

“The Senate had a full and transparent debate on health care reform last year.

*GAG*

PappaMac on March 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Does anyone else have the feeling that the rats are jumping ship?

It’s what they always do, but I have this image of Barf, Pelosi and Reid standing at the helm of the Titanic drinking martinis while everyone is jumping into freezing waters.

Cody1991 on March 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Khun Joe on March 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Yup.

Bruno Strozek on March 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I want to see Nancy have a meltdown like she did when she was questioned on the CIA situation. That would be great. I also want youtube of Rham’s f-word laden rant and Obama giving us the you stupid POSs don’t you know not what you do speech.

TXMomof3 on March 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Well, I have to give her credit for trying to do the right thing, however late it may be. Although as someone above said voting no the first time would have been much simpler, and easier on everyone else.

darwin on March 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM

James Clyburn spun himself in at least 4 different circles in that clip. He has no idea what bill, or bills, or vote, or laws he is referring to. He is confused and groping for answers.

ted c on March 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I don’ think that Nancy ever meant to be this transparent.

GarandFan on March 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM

A little too late. See you in the unemployment line with that red headed chick.

Knucklehead on March 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Naw, the stormtrooper could use some company on the train.

ted c on March 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I heard Professor Irwin Corey, the World’s Foremost Authority, explain how the House could “deem” a bill passed, and it made perfect sense to me.

Emperor Norton on March 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM

TXMomof3 on March 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Yeah … Nancy’s a millionaire, so she’s in this for the glory, prestige and power. A meltdown from a power loss is almost nearly fatal. People can lose money, but when they lose fame and power it’s ugly.

darwin on March 16, 2010 at 7:01 PM

ted c on March 16, 2010 at 6:53 PM

No thanks. I am not watching this fruitcake..I hope the

I am sure we will not hear from Obama for a few months until he cools down. Then he will make speech after speech on how we are so stupid; only Government can be your daddy.

Electrongod on March 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Too late. Tell us Ms. Lincoln…can you spell T-O-A-S-T?

Yellowdog12 on March 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM

I hope we have 217 of them feeling a little toasty!

Vince on March 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM

TXMomof3 on March 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I want to see her face melt. The woman is grotesque.

I want to see Barf get all Wee Wee’d up and throw a fit.

And I’d love to see Reid kicked to the curb – literally.

This has been a national nightmare. We deserve better than this. Rather than attending to important matters like employment the Dems have literally pi%%ed away an entire year attempting to make our lives more miserable.

These people must be utterly defeated. They have waged war on us, and we need to get rid of them – completely.

One other note. I’m probably older than many who post here. I went to school with $hitheads like this. College was awful – demonstrations, Black Liberation Theology, drugs, SDS, Black Panthers – everyone demonstrating every week. I remember it well and not with fond memories. It’s come full circle because those are the people who are in office. Barf is younger, but he’s a tag-along in a tired, irrelevant crowd.

I’ve had it with these people.

Cody1991 on March 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Did that freaking tool say that the 60 votes in the senate is all that the bill needs? As if to say, “the American people had their vote count in the Senate and we think that’s enough.” My gosh! If that’s all the “representation” we rubes need, then I guess I WONT be filling out my census form! What’s the point of getting more representatives for my state when this dope says the Senate votes are “representative” enough! This moron just made an argument to dissolve the House of Representatives!

Weight of Glory on March 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Krautthammer appeared to concede during the panel that as ugly as it is..the “Slaughter Rule” will be LEGAL

They don’t have the votes but Pelosi has all but stated that they will get this done Saturday via the “Slaughter Rule” and our country will CHANGE FOREVER on Saturday

After listening and reading DeMint, Beck, Dr. K, Carlson, Cantor, etc…it’s starting to get really scary

LordMaximus on March 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Blanche Lincoln started her political career without principals and will leave it with them intact!

Freddy on March 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Western_Civ on March 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Yep. The silence of many Republicans is quite disheartening (though I wouldn’t throw DeMint in there, as he has been a stalwart on so much). But, it is really strange that the Senate Republicans have precious little to say about this ongoing coup attempt.

I do wish DeMint would bring up Honduras and the sad parallels between their fight for their Constitution and the threat ours is under, right now – by the same exact people who supported Zelaya’s attempted coup, up to the very end. DeMint was one of the few who was outspoken about the Honduras situation and I would like to see him apply those lessons, here, and bring home to Americans just what is happening here.

neurosculptor on March 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM

LordMaximus on March 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Yeah … Krauthammer was dead wrong on that. But, Kraut’s been late to the party on every underhanded, sleazy, criminal, and stupid act that The Precedent and his Washington junta have been doing.

neurosculptor on March 16, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Sen.Lincoln no matter what you say or do YOU ARE DONE.Enjoy your retirement.

thmcbb on March 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM

LordMaximus on March 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Heard that……but did anyone happen to catch Brit Hume’s little essay? Absolutely priceless and dead on.

Knucklehead on March 16, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Anyone listening to Mark Levin? He says if they try to circumvent a vote, he’s ready with a lawsuit – immediately.

Cody1991 on March 16, 2010 at 7:20 PM

neurosculptor on March 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Point take about DeMint, but we need him now just the same.

Remember how when Obongo tried to stiffarm the Honduran government, which legally ousted Zelaya, I think the Library of Congress actually told Obongo and Hitlery to butt out. They reviewed Honduras’s constitution and said it was all perfectly legal. Does anyone recall?

It makes me wonder, what are the odds that the UN, the Hague, or some other jerkwater legal body will stick its blue raping helmet into US domestic law and rule that Fauxbama & Co. are perfectly within their rights to rape the Constitution?

Western_Civ on March 16, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Unfortunately, she’s not dissing the entire bill….just the means of seeing it thru to fruition.

She still supports the bill.

Good bye Ms.Lincoln. Wished I could say it was a pleasure to have you as a good steward who worked within the confines of the constitution, and for the will of the people that elected you. Unfortunately, you chose a different path, and for that….you will not be coming back.

capejasmine on March 16, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Western_Civ on March 16, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I’d like to see them try!

capejasmine on March 16, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I’d like to see them try!

capejasmine on March 16, 2010 at 7:43 PM

With all due respect, I’d guess the chances of such a weigh-in by a foreign body or organization (like Shamnesty Intl) are fairly high. And if that’s the case, who would rebuke them?

Western_Civ on March 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Cody 1991
Unfortunately, we have the gubmint we deserve. Yes, the good people here at HA are informed, civic-minded folk. But for every one of us, there are 10-20 citizens that do not have a care or a clue as to the real identity or qualifications of the thieves they vote for.
For decades we have been sending thieves, liars, hypocrites and bastards to Washington, DC. This is the manifestation of an ill-informed electorate. As the good Reverend Wright infamously said “the chickens are comin’ home….to roost.”
GOD help us.

mountainmanbob on March 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Naw, the stormtrooper could use some company on the train.

ted c on March 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM

man thats funny

tommer74 on March 16, 2010 at 8:02 PM

This isn’t going to end well is it?

Dr Evil on March 16, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Blanche, leave an extra spot at your new job at Bob’s Burger Barn after November for the Pizza Boy when he’s voted out in 2012, because you two will be looking for jobs very soon.

yoda on March 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM

the year 2035.
the place is junior high history.

Teacher: and here students is a list of names of those who served in congress 25 years ago.
student: scratching his head and he thumbs down the list. Hey teacher, I see the name Lincoln on the list. Is this Abe Lincoln?
Teacher: chuckling, “no son, Abe Lincoln saved the Republic by defeating the confederates during the Civil War. Blanche Lincoln destroyed the Republic without shooting a single bullet.

jbh45 on March 16, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Those scumbags might think that they’ve managed the perfect scam, but there’s one thing that they didn’t figure on.
This country is loaded with old dogs that never learned to roll over, and that’s one trick we’re not about to pick up now.
There are still many things that can, and will be done to throw off this tyranny, and they’re all written down in that document that these usurpers are ignoring at their peril.
Never give up your freedom without the fight of your life, and that’s what we’re in for. Just think hard about that for a minute, and you’ll be sure of it.
There needs to be constant vigilance going forward, and capitol punishment for the traitors that have attempted this theft of our wealth and health.

ontherocks on March 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Because of your effort, the stupid bill made it to a vote in the first place! This is such patronizing horse shyte. Arkansans didn’t need 72 hours to read the stupid bill because we have been telling you since last summer we don’t want it!!!

It would be entertaining to see him try it. That’s not gonna go over well here. ;o)

NoLeftTurn on March 16, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Steny Hoyer questioning the patriotism of people who care about constitutional process, as quoted at Politico:

[Hoyer] said voters won’t care about how Democrats pass a bill, just whether they pass it.

“I don’t think any American – real American – out there is going to make a distinction between the two,” he said.

Got that? “Real” Americans don’t make a distinction about how a bill passes… Constitution, Deemage, Fiat, Decree, Order, whatever…

epsilon on March 16, 2010 at 9:05 PM

The Slaughter Rule is an abomination but Reconciliation for the same purpose is just peachy? My guess is we’re a hair’s breadth away from a Dem civil War of the Congressional Houses.

jnelchef on March 16, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Blanche…too late you and those stupid scarves are history in 8 months…enjoy retirement!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnD9207 on March 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Too late, Blanche, you will be voted off the island in Nov. This whole deeming business is just ‘it is because we say it is’. It is unconstitutional and along with reconciliation should be tossed into the can.

Kissmygrits on March 16, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Never forget that this is the very clown who said in July ’07 that if the war in Iraq goes well, it would be bad for Dummycrappers. He is so dumb, it’s not fair to call him names. He’s just a big dummy. A big dangerous dummy.

Western_Civ on March 16, 2010 at 10:22 PM

If you disagree with Clyburn, your racist.
Next question.

RobCon on March 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM

…Clyburn on Fox this morning trying and utterly failing to explain…

This is a problem that all the dem “leaders” have. They don’t seem to have a working knowledge of parliamentary procedures or even the bill itself, yet they’re willing to hang all their droogies out to dry and ignore the public’s will.

n0doz on March 16, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Spin as she might,she is still stuck in the cesspool that is the obuttlick administration. On the bright side,I hear Little Rock is looking for a dog catcher.DLTDHYITAOTWO!!!

nukeemnow on March 17, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Blanche Lincoln had the potential death of this catastrophic “health” bill in her own hands in December and she threw her chance away.

There’s nothing she can do to redeem her senatorial reputation now.

Edouard on March 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM