Quotes of the day

posted at 10:48 pm on March 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

“We have entered a political wonderland, where the rules are whatever Democrats say they are. Mrs. Pelosi and the White House are resorting to these abuses because their bill is so unpopular that a majority even of their own party doesn’t want to vote for it. Fence-sitting Members are being threatened with primary challengers, a withdrawal of union support and of course ostracism. Michigan’s Bart Stupak is being pounded nightly by MSNBC for the high crime of refusing to vote for a bill that he believes will subsidize insurance for abortions.

“Democrats are, literally, consuming their own majority for the sake of imposing new taxes, regulations and entitlements that the public has roundly rejected but that they believe will be the crowning achievement of the welfare state. They are also leaving behind a procedural bloody trail that will fuel public fury and make such a vast change of law seem illegitimate to millions of Americans.”

***
“Pence voted in favor of a ‘self-executing rule,’ the same procedure that will make the ‘Slaughter solution’ possible, three times when Republicans controlled the House, according to a list of the votes provided by House Democrats to The Daily Caller.

“In fact, House Minority Leader John Boehner, Ohio Republican, and House Minority Whip Eric Cantor, Virginia Republican, voted in favor of ‘self-executing rules’ six times and three times, respectively, since 1996.

“Republicans have used the procedure at least 11 times since it was first introduced in 1933, the Democrats’ memo said.

“Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said that the Republicans problem was not with the use of the procedure itself, but with its use for something so enormous as the health care bill.”

***
“I can’t recall a level of feigned indignation nearly as great as what we are seeing now from congressional Republicans and their acolytes at the Wall Street Journal, and on blogs, talk radio, and cable news. It reached a ridiculous level of misinformation and disinformation over the use of reconciliation, and now threatens to top that level over the projected use of a self-executing rule by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. In the last Congress that Republicans controlled, from 2005 to 2006, Rules Committee Chairman David Dreier used the self-executing rule more than 35 times, and was no stranger to the concept of ‘deem and pass.’”

***
“Reconciliation has been used with increasing frequency. That was bad enough. But at least for the Bush tax cuts or the prescription drug bill, there was significant bipartisan support. Now we have pure reconciliation mixed with pure partisanship.

“Once partisan reconciliation is used for this bill, it will be used for everything, now and forever. The Senate will be the House. The remnants of person-to-person relationships, with their sympathy and sentiment, will be snuffed out. We will live amid the relationships of group versus group, party versus party, inhumanity versus inhumanity.

“We have a political culture in which the word ‘reconciliation’ has come to mean ‘bitter division.’ With increasing effectiveness, the system bleaches out normal behavior and the normal instincts of human sympathy.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Did y’all see that the chairman of Sony wants fruit salad, veggies and yogurt sold at movie theaters? I was going to link it but it was the U.K. Times and it was taking twelve years to download. As if the prices they charge for junk food wasn’t bad enough?

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Now imagine Nancy singing Santa Baby

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 12:53 AM

I’d rather not. ;)

darii on March 17, 2010 at 12:55 AM

OT: Yeah TXMOM. And the husband LIED on his form. Photographic evidence of his deceit. You are never to lie on important forms like that. Ugh. But now they want the company to sweep it under the mat and pay the bill.

andy85719 on March 17, 2010 at 12:55 AM

And no one has shaked her hand since.

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Oh, I’m sure there were some leftist waiting in line to kiss her hand…

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Smell the Change ™

Mason on March 17, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Now imagine Nancy singing Santa Baby

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 12:53 AM

You get a gold star for that one.

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Don’t want to waste water on hand washing!

darii on March 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Yeah, and what’s wrong with that? Unless you’re a government worker, I don’t see why you should have the right to wash your hand.

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Oh, I’m sure there were some leftist waiting in line to kiss her hand…

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Ummmmm…that’s not chocolate.

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Word.

Has he even considered that the shelf life of Junior Mints is a lot longer than apples and yogurt? And if there’s not sufficient sales, they’ll just throw away lots of food. What a dolt.

darii on March 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM

That’s why Senators need to be picked and sent to DC by their respective State’s executive & legislature, as our founding father intended. This creates a check & balance between the two houses. Instead 20th century progressives sold us the notion of we the people directly voting candidates for both houses. Repeal the 19th Amendment.

AH_C on March 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM

I don’t see a lot of movies in the theaters because I can’t stand Hollywood, but when I do? I want my big freaking box of M & M’s and my popcorn with butter.

TXMomof3 on March 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM

I’ll drink to that! I won’t eat any of it though.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on March 17, 2010 at 12:57 AM

You get a gold star for that one.

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Oh, I’ll have to add that to crr6′s fantasizing collection

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 12:57 AM

sesquipedalian on March 17, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Dude…

I’ve been busy on a project for a client tonight, so I have only been able to hit and run whilst taking a break, but I hope you stick around for a few more days before you leave again.

… Don’t forget to bring the lotion.

Seven Percent Solution on March 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Ummmmm…that’s not chocolate.

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM

In respect for Al Gore, I like to call it Gorcolate.

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Dude…

… Don’t forget to bring the lotion.

Seven Percent Solution on March 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Hey, don’t hog the punching bag, man!

Good Solid B-Plus on March 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM

… Don’t forget to bring the lotion.

Seven Percent Solution on March 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Yeah, crr6 needs more lotion to apply… he’s busy in my dungeon right now with the car battery.

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Awesome, I can’t wait to buy my 5 dollar apple at the movie theater.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM

… Don’t forget to bring the lotion.

Seven Percent Solution on March 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM

HA!

darii on March 17, 2010 at 1:00 AM

they’re quite welcome to.

sesquipedalian on March 17, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Maybe you should find a new book. Obviously the one you’re reading was written by a Keynesian. How long do you figure insurance companies will be in business if everyone drops their policies now and only signs up once they’re already sick?

You libtards have a real inability to foresee consequences, don’t you?

NoLeftTurn on March 17, 2010 at 1:00 AM

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM

crr6 is apparently a she. She is 1st in her prestigious law school class of 5 students; rank 2-5 are her ferrets.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 17, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Did y’all see that the chairman of Sony wants fruit salad, veggies and yogurt sold at movie theaters? As if the prices they charge for junk food wasn’t bad enough?

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM

My wife and I where laughing at that one earlier tonight. Now I do not think SOny owns theaters, but if they do, go for it and lose your shirt. Popcorn with its 3000% markup is the only way theaters make some money (and sugar-based carbonated beverages that need to be taxed heavily because they are ruining America).

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on March 17, 2010 at 1:00 AM

1) hermaphrodite

2) Wow, 5 students, huh?

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 1:01 AM

But I’m not even in New York City! Aw man.

lol

darii on March 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM

It doesn’t matter. The regulation of salt usage is granted to Congress under the Commerce Clause.

/fake law student troll

NoLeftTurn on March 17, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Ace has a new head count post. He puts Pelosi at 194 votes, needing 22 of the 26 maybes available.

Also, Ace has a NCAA bracket group at Yahoo. No HotAIr group I am aware of.

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 1:04 AM

darii on March 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM TXMomof3 on March 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM

We went to the movies on Sunday and I had three boxes of boxed movie candies bought at Walgreens for a $1 each. As to shelf life, someone very astutely noticed that bugs and other critters might be unwanted by products of “fresh” unpackaged food. It was funny the website was called f**kfrance.com

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 1:04 AM

If you are bringing stuff in, something even better for the movies.

I think my wife used one of these in an attempt to make one of the Twilight movies better. Didn’t work…too much to overcome.

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 1:04 AM

I am going to get smart some day and smuggle in my candy.

TXMomof3 on March 17, 2010 at 1:08 AM

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 1:08 AM

I don’t think we could have done that while watching Alice in Wonderland in 3-D. It’s like drinking and driving. But those are quite interesting package designs.

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Word.

darii on March 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM

They ought to just let people bring in whatever they want and scrap the stupid concession counter. People do it anyway — at least I do! They never have chocolate Twizzlers at the theater. ;o)

I’m sure there’s an argument to be made by someone somewhere that the concession stands are where the theaters make their money. I’m not sure if I believe that anymore. I mean, how many movie theaters are independently owned anymore? They’re all part of one huge chain or another. I have a feeling that the profits can be made up elsewhere.

Having said that, however, has anyone ever been to one of those AMC Cinema Suites? Freaking awesome! It seems to matter less if the movie sucks when you are sitting in a recliner and someone is bringing you nachos and margaritas.

NoLeftTurn on March 17, 2010 at 1:13 AM

TXMomof3 on March 17, 2010 at 1:08 AM

If you don’t go often, who cares. One of our local theaters is having all shows on Sunday for $5 and the Husband is always looking to save a dime or two.

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 1:15 AM

NoLeftTurn on March 17, 2010 at 1:13 AM

They don’t have such a thing out here in Podunk. Sounds awesome.

TXMomof3 on March 17, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Reconciliation is always used whenever the bill passed by the Senate differs from that of the House, or vice versa. It is required since the same bill, with the identical text, must be passed by both houses before being presented to the President for signature.

unclesmrgol on March 17, 2010 at 12:37 AM

This is factually wrong. Reconciliation rule was passed as a way to reconcile only budget bills. It is not supposed to be used on policy. While the same bill must be passed in both houses it was not reconciliation that was the vehicle for this. This is what joint conference committees are for. Both houses pass a bill, then they name representatives to meet in conference to work out the differences. The conference bill then goes back to both houses for final passage.

Pelosi and Reid knew this would never work so they decided to bypass conference committee and use reconciliation. Research Sen. Byrd and reconciliation and you will see that this was never intended the way that Dems are using it.

HalSandro on March 17, 2010 at 1:16 AM

NoLeftTurn on March 17, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Three cokes and a large popcorn was $22! What’s the famous remark by P.T. Barnum? The place was crawling with them and we were some of them.

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 1:17 AM

\
That’s the reason I never buy concessions.

darii on March 17, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Night, all. It is way past my bedtime.

TXMomof3 on March 17, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Wow. David Brooks actually wrote a good one today.

joe_doufu on March 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Night, all. It is way past my bedtime.

TXMomof3 on March 17, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Been fun!

darii on March 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM

I hate Democrats.

blatantblue on March 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM

You should have held your party accountable when you could. Now you must suffer the consequences of supporting corruption, it has come back in spades.

You are the controlled opposition.

True_King on March 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Wow. David Brooks actually wrote a good one today.

joe_doufu on March 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Even a stopped clock…

darii on March 17, 2010 at 1:21 AM

joe_doufu on March 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Stopped clock.

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 1:21 AM

True_King on March 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Sigh

darii on March 17, 2010 at 1:22 AM

You are the controlled opposition.

True_King on March 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Cause that makes soooooooo much sense.

Get over yourself.

darii on March 17, 2010 at 1:23 AM

They don’t have such a thing out here in Podunk. Sounds awesome.

TXMomof3 on March 17, 2010 at 1:16 AM

LOL — not in my podunk either. We went to one last time we were up in Kansas City. If there’s not one in Texas, I’m guessing it’s just a matter of time. Texas is where it’s at!

NoLeftTurn on March 17, 2010 at 1:25 AM

True_King on March 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM

While I agree that we should have been equally hard on the crazy stuff that the Republicans did but I don’t think anyone supported or even knowingly overlooked corruption. I don’t seen any reason to bankrupt the nation as punishment.

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM

You are the controlled opposition.

True_King on March 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Yeah, all those principled voters who stayed home/voted third party to punish McCain sure showed us, huh? Take that, America!

Thanks for helping to elect the Boy King.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Well I am going to hit the hay. Good night everyone. Sweet dreams.

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2010 at 1:29 AM

The smell of stale popcorn is offensive enough as it is without the odor of rotting yogurt cups and fermenting fruit containers lying around on the floor. Yuck!

jeanie on March 17, 2010 at 1:31 AM

also because if everyone buys insurance, a larger pool will make mine will cost less, according to a econ101 book i found while dumpster diving. sesquipedalian on March 17, 2010 at 12:25 AM

The cost for an individual may go down as people are added to the pool or it may go up. It will depend on the characteristics of the people not currently in the pool. If they are sicker than the average person currently in the pool, costs will go up because the underwriting risk has increased overall. If they are healthier, costs will go down, but the only reason costs will go down is because the healthy are subsidizing the less-healthy. This is not strictly an “economies of scale” scenario where more people means lower costs because fixed costs can be spread among more policyholders. For example, if I have an insurance pool of 50 nuns, the cost of a policy will be low because nuns are generally not unhealthy. If I add 50 Hell’s Angels to the pool and I’m not allowed to price the two groups at different rates, I’m going to have to raise prices on the nuns to cover the extra risk of adding Hell’s Angels to my pool. Pool size doubles and costs go up for those already in the pool, in order to subsidize the less-healthy new entrants. That is, unless the government tries to impose price controls, which is even worse. It’s clear you know nothing about insurance, yet pretend as if you do. Why don’t you just leave things you know nothing about to those who do?

It’s just a big redistribution scheme from healthy people to less-healthy people. We already have enough less-healthy people in this country and redistributing wealth to them will only provide less incentive to take responsibility for one’s health. That “econ 101″ book may have covered incentives, too. You might want to look at that chapter.

venividivici on March 17, 2010 at 1:35 AM

It will take the fun out of port-a-potty-tipping.

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Government rarely adds fun…

Yuck…

TXMomof3 on March 17, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Sorry, ma’am, but you know it’s true…

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM

True story: 20 years ago, I was in college and in El Paso for a convention. At that time, students going across the border had been being kidnapped for ritual murders. So we banded together, leaving a couple of people sober to ride herd. Coming back, one of the drunkards went into a porta potty used by construction workers, and his friends tumped it over while he was in it. I was sober, riding herd, and that was still one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

bikermailman on March 17, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Oh someone please save our Constitution!

Please stop this mad despotic government!

If we ever get another chance–we must outlaw the use of anything but the voting specifically stated in the Constitution.

For too long we have ignored the slippery slope. Now we are speeding down out of control!

petunia on March 17, 2010 at 1:54 AM

bikermailman on March 17, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Juarez, Mexico. A bottle of Corona is .30 cents, a shot of Tequila is .70 cents and the Donkey Show is forever.

Pelayo on March 17, 2010 at 1:57 AM

AP,

It is completely disingenuous to post the quotes regarding Republican use of the deem and pass strategy as you have. Your presentation of the information is misleading and harms the effort on behalf of so many who are working to defeat this action by Democrats. You certainly must recognize that even if Republicans have used this procedure 1000 times before that the fact is that this bill is different than other bills and the stakes are much higher. Please tell me that you are not so obtuse that you have missed the effect that context has on the use of such a strategy. It is my hope that your choices were made in only a lazy or cynical way.

Mormon Doc on March 17, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Anyone still up should go over to Daily Kos and vote in their Health care poll… It’d would sure be funny if tomorrow it couldn’t even show support at the most liberal site on the Internet!

petunia on March 17, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Pet-
Wouldn’t visit Daily Kos if you paid me $1,000. Well, maybe a grand.

betsyz on March 17, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Check out what happens in Britain to people who get used to sucking on the government’s teat.

Here’s the story of a family of 4 (mum + dad + 2 grown daughters) who complain that they cannot work due to their obesity — yet 22,000 pounds-per-annum dole to these layabouts isn’t enough for them:

Family who are too fat to work say 22000 worth of benefits is not enough

Edouard on March 17, 2010 at 2:57 AM

Up late and bored

El_Terrible on March 17, 2010 at 4:01 AM

There is no need to use “deem and pass” to expedite any legislation. This procedural abortion of Constitutional responsibility needs to go away entirely. The Senate and House can already call for unanimous consent. If you cannot pass on unanimous consent you should vote on it, period. The people of America deserve that.

Hawthorne on March 17, 2010 at 5:33 AM

Thanks for helping to elect the Boy King.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM

“Boy” King??? Luckily he didn’t have a certain congressman on the ticket in ’08 or it would be MASSA OBAMA and we’d really be called for racism.

J.J. Sefton on March 17, 2010 at 6:35 AM

Late to the game but I object that images of traitors like Louise Slaughter are used at HA. Not that I’m advocating it but in a perfect world this woman’s offices (all of them) would be torched. Her home pelted with garbage and her family afraid for their lives. Again, not an advocacy statement but a statement about what would happen to the “*itch girl” in a perfect world.

highhopes on March 17, 2010 at 6:48 AM

Luckily he didn’t have a certain congressman on the ticket in ‘08 or it would be MASSA OBAMA and we’d really be called for racism.

J.J. Sefton on March 17, 2010 at 6:35 AM

We’d also have the tickles for terrorist program.

highhopes on March 17, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Absolutely. Be sure to send a thank you note to Obama and the Democrats.

drjohn on March 17, 2010 at 7:10 AM

El_Terrible on March 17, 2010 at 4:01 AM

Glad you couldn’t sleep…good one.

yoda on March 17, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Now imagine Nancy singing Santa Baby

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Better that than the pole and lap dancing that is really going on.

highhopes on March 17, 2010 at 7:22 AM

The Slaughter Solution is one that should not, under any circumstances, ever be allowed to see the light of day!

Any notion that goes against the Constitution of this country will result in the end of freedom in this country as we know it.

Frankly, I am in agreement with Mark Levin, that for even coming up with this insane idea to begin with, Rep. Louise Slaughter has proven herself unqualified to serve in any capacity of Congress and should either be forced to resign from office immediately, or be expelled from Congress.

I highly doubt either will happen, given the current political climate in Washington. But I can still hope the people of Slaughter’s district share my same viewpoint and take care of this woman come next time she is up for re-election.

pilamaye on March 17, 2010 at 7:28 AM

So two wrongs make a right?

What about the Pubs, Dems, and Indie voters who do not want this mess? What about the Constitution?

Gotta love the game. They play against each other and screw the American people. Nice way to avoid the argument.

CWforFreedom on March 17, 2010 at 7:29 AM

petunia on March 17, 2010 at 2:11 AM

KOS and Huff n’Blow are too icky to clicky.

yoda on March 17, 2010 at 7:49 AM

These people will destroy anything, including America, in their pursuit of personal power. It’s quite disturbing.

This near rabid desire for the amalgamation of influence is depressing…

To think that people like that would actually exist in America. Then again, these progs have been around for quite some time. Just never thought they would gain footholds like this.

blatantblue on March 17, 2010 at 7:50 AM

My new reason for living is to see the good people in Nan’s district boot her out. I’d be mortified to have a senile od bat representing me.
Deep apologies to senile old bats.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Ah, the sweet sweet smell of blatant equivocation. And at AEI, no less.

If P then Q. B is the rhetorically similar to P. B, therefore Q.

The Republicans used it as a lubricant, not a sledgehammer. But then, leftists don’t give a damn about anything other than ramming their hopes and dreams down everyone else’s throats.

spmat on March 17, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Now that a lot of us know what deem and pass and reconciliation are, anyone who runs on repealing those methods as well as any executive order Barry makes, should have smooth sailing. Besides being unconstitutional, these methods allow congress to become lazy. They could do with fewer aides and do some of the work themselves. Like actually reading the bills.

Kissmygrits on March 17, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I have a problem with the procedure itself. I say force Congress to vote on every bill. Also, I think Pork should be in it’s own bill. If everyone wants to vote for pig smell research, then great. That should be voted on separately.

jeffn21 on March 17, 2010 at 12:01 PM