NBC poll: After nine months, public still doesn’t like ObamaCare

posted at 8:07 pm on March 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

This’ll be one of the last major polls taken before the fateful vote so I was hoping for a bombshell. No dice. Voters don’t like O-Care but the numbers (36/48 between good idea/bad idea) are at about the same levels that they’ve been at all along. What the public hates is Congress — approval is 17/77, the lowest in two years, and 50 percent said they’d be happy if every single member was replaced in November.

Even so, the talking point tomorrow will be the enthusiasm gap. Behold:

The survey found a 21-point enthusiasm gap between the parties — with 67% of Republicans saying they are very interested in the November elections, compared to just 46% of Democrats.

“If the Democrats are going to close that gap, they’ve got to get their people excited. And I don’t see how you get those people if you vote no” on the party’s health legislation, said Democratic pollster Peter Hart, who conducted the survey with Republican pollster Bill McInturff…

The Journal/NBC survey shows that the majority of African-Americans and majority of liberal Democrats, as well as a plurality of Latinos, would be less likely to vote for their representative in Congress if he or she voted against the health-care plan.

This has always been the left’s chief argument to wavering Democrats to vote for the bill, but I’ve never understood it. I understand the perfectly logical fear that enthusiasm will drop among the base if they fail to pass something, but why enthusiasm should soar if they do pass something eludes me. If we elect a Republican Congress and they cut my taxes, that’s great; I’ll happily vote GOP again, but I’m in no rush to get to the polls to do it. They’ve done what I’ve asked them to do and now I’m complacent. If we elect a Democratic Congress and they raise my taxes, I’m eager to get to the polls; and if they raise them a second time, I’m practically ready to sleep on the sidewalk outside the polling place on election eve. Which is to say, stopping the opposing party from doing you more harm is usually a greater motivator than keeping your own party in power. It may be that Democrats will see, say, an eight-point spike in enthusiasm among their base if they pass this thing, but I have yet to hear why Republicans won’t see a 10-point spike in their own base as a result — especially if the Slaughter strategy is used. That is to say, enthusiasm doesn’t matter, the gap in enthusiasm does. Why should I believe that passing this lackluster bill, which plenty of liberals dislike, is going to close the gap? (An added factor: The split between those who prefer one party to control the White House and Congress and those who prefer divided government is now 30/61. In October 1994, one month before the Republican tidal wave, it was 36/55.)

More importantly, why should I believe that it’s going to close the gap in swing districts, which are the only ones that really matter? This data, while interesting, is almost useless:

repvote

In other words, you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t if you happen to be a House Democrat who represents a nationwide sample of voters. Which … no one does. Do these numbers look the same in reddish districts represented by Blue Dog Democrats? Why, no they don’t. “There is no easy place right now in the health care debate,” says McInturff of the results, which is true — but for centrist Dems, it’s a bit easier than he’s making it sound.

Obama’s approval on health-care is now a sparkling 41/57, almost but not quite as dismal as the GOP’s 35/59. Can he go any lower? Maybe:

recon

Some of his bad HCR numbers may be bleeding over from the Democratic decline across the board. The GOP is now equally trusted with the Dems on handling the economy(!), and they currently enjoy a six-point advantage on handling the deficit — a 28-point swing in just two years. Kudos to liberals for taking the opportunity Bush handed them to recast themselves as the party of comparative fiscal responsibility and tossing it straight into the toilet. That’s some feat.

Exit question: Remember what I said yesterday about how the GOP should announce that health care will be their second priority next year if the Blue Dogs do the right thing and kill O-Care now? What do you think of this?

hcrsoon

Comments

Irrelevant. It has never been about what the Citizens want.

Electrongod on March 16, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Exit question:

ObamaCare 2.0 coming to a theater near you? Oh great!

Electrongod on March 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I’m surprised NBC didn’t find it to be favored by a large margin.

ColumbusConservative on March 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM

they. don’t. care.

jbh45 on March 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I think the public is ready for Paul Ryan’s Roadmap for America’s Future. Genuine health care reform would be extremely popular.

sandberg on March 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I got polled by Rasmussen last night, AP. Maybe one more coming down the pike by Thursday or Friday?

Knucklehead on March 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM

I cannot believe that last poll number. I am sick of the health care debate, and if this turkey doesn’t pass 47% want them to take up another bill, on the same topic, immediately? Good lord. I’ll just have to get some secluded cabin in Montana with no TV or internet, if that happens. Sheesh.

changer1701 on March 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

The big turn around happens tomorrow at 6 p.m. when The Won finally explains it to the Fox viewers.

Cindy Munford on March 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

nailed it on the exit qx AP. All the bad juju can turn right into good juju using a little political kabuki and shifting gears right into what the public would tolerate. It’d be smart and easy(ier) politics, because, for Pete’s sake, if Congress doesn’t know what the public will tolerate by now, then they’ll never know.

ted c on March 16, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Knucklehead on March 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Do you have caller id? If so who did it say was calling?

Cindy Munford on March 16, 2010 at 8:17 PM

I doubt that. Irrespective of what happens this week, nobody is going to want to touch health care for a long time. It’s a swamp. The President obviously has had the most to lose, but according to the polls, nobody’s come out of this looking good.

YYZ on March 16, 2010 at 8:18 PM

changer1701 on March 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Been there, done that. They will find you there too.

Electrongod on March 16, 2010 at 8:19 PM

The President to NBC – You lie!!!!

yoda on March 16, 2010 at 8:20 PM

yeah, I want to know what caller I.D. says when Rasmussen calls.

mobydutch on March 16, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Eh, what do racist rednecks know anyway?

Bishop on March 16, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Wasn’t it Hoyer who said we will like it after it’s passed so it doesn’t matter if we don’t like it before it’s passed. I think this is the BS there putting out there now.

Brat4life on March 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Been there, done that. They will find you there too.

Electrongod on March 16, 2010 at 8:19 PM

LOL. Noooooooo!!!

Seriously, though, after months and months of “do they have the votes”, I can’t take another round of that.

changer1701 on March 16, 2010 at 8:23 PM

I’m of the opinion that every poll out there could post a 99-1 negative report and it wouldn’t make ONE single bit of difference.

We’re watching a major Socialist power grab in progress and those Liberals have just a few short months (and they know it!) to get as much of their agenda locked in as possible. They could care less about any stinkin’ polls.

GoldenEagle4444 on March 16, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Do you have caller id? If so who did it say was calling?

Cindy Munford on March 16, 2010 at 8:17 PM

The caller id said the call was coming from Washington D.C.

At first I thought maybe President Pantload was calling.

Knucklehead on March 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM

yeah, I want to know what caller I.D. says when Rasmussen calls.

mobydutch on March 16, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Racist Pollstyer – 212-555-2912

angryed on March 16, 2010 at 8:26 PM

If this fails, and the Republicans take over next year, then yes, let’s do health care reform – as long as we start with the Ryan plan and work out from there.

JeffWeimer on March 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM

This is an NBC poll..and we all know who watches and listens to them. Given that fact alone, this should be cheering as even that demographic appears to have some problems with OCare. A puzzle though..why does the hill get all the blame and not Obama? Is it the old racist meme? Are they reluctant to face the facts about him? It should be clear to even the densest voter that O is as much invested in this as Congress, perhaps more. As for the black and Latino vote, I guess many havn’t figured out yet that under this plan they may actually have to pay something.(bad girl jeanie! bad girl)

jeanie on March 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Using the logic of the Dems, they won’t mind when right wing Republicans begin deconstructing the liberal Pantheon of programs and social safety nets if they are able to use gimmicks and unconstitutional methods

Labor and social activist groups won’t mind being bullied and demonized.

I just want to make sure I understand the rules. Leftists should read more about the revolutions they’ve spawned over the years. Frequently the proponents of new orders are consumed by the very things they advocated.

R Square on March 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM

changer1701 on March 16, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Well…I have to come clean. I did have internet but the download speeds depended on how taunt the string was. :)
No seriously, I was born in Montana. Nice place but I have no desire to go back.

Electrongod on March 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM

well, the talking heads on fox seem to think this thing is going to pass this week

jp on March 16, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Why bother with polls when no one is listening? Why bother calling and melting down the system when delusional freaks like Pelosi claim it’s supporters calling – not opponents.

No one is listening. It isn’t just this health care debacle either.

We used to have a saying that it was a big mistake to make a quiet man angry. The quiet majority is furious, and this Congress has made a huge mistake.

If they don’t back down, I really do think it’s going to be ugly out here. This is a government that is intentionally pitting people against one another. The Dems are spinning the story so that the divide is obvious. Watch what happens in the coming weeks and months. I don’t think Barf and his sidekicks will mind civil unrest one bit. In fact, I think they want it.

Back to the 60′s. That’s who they are. That’s what they want.

Cody1991 on March 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM

This is an NBC poll..and we all know who watches and listens to them.

It’s a scientific poll, not a Countdown with Keith Olbermann viewer poll.

You can read the questions and look at the internals if you want, but most pollsters are pretty reliable. The Fox News/Opinion Dymaics polls are generally in line with these.

YYZ on March 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM

But what about the Independents? They are the largest voting bloc.

John the Libertarian on March 16, 2010 at 8:33 PM

This poll has been brought to you by “The National Bowing Community” network. Impeccable poll indeed. Was this taken before or after the NBC producers and crew members loaded the Obama robo calls?

NBC is on par with the credibility crunchers who brought us the Global Warming “fake but accurate” data.

If Q#1 is answered in the negative, hang up & redial a new #. If Q#1 is answered in the affirmative, proceed to Q#2.

Question #1 of a NBC Pollster: Did you vote for Obama in 2008 and don’t you think he is the smartest man on the planet?

Americannodash on March 16, 2010 at 8:35 PM

YYZ on March 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Thanks. Too tedious and hard work to do what you suggest though. Are there any other polls to support or deny this one? Surely this cannot be the only one?

jeanie on March 16, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Chuck Schumer caught talking about circumventing Constitution.

andy85719 on March 16, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Knucklehead on March 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I’d like to hear the conversation. Thanks for the information, I will want to answer if one of them calls before I die.

Cindy Munford on March 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM

People aren’t swayed by this Obama Dr. Evil impersonation? http://www.youtube.com/user/Optoons#p/u/0/_PltdEp3Opk

Mervis Winter on March 16, 2010 at 8:39 PM

sandberg on March 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I agree. Have you heard any of Chritie’s speeches in New Jersey? He’s kicking some serious a$$ about cutting back on spending and getting the house in order.

That’s what people want – the responsible, taxpaying public – and they are the ones who should have priority. The rest can get in line for their checks. Screw them.

Cody1991 on March 16, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Electrongod on March 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Really? That sucks. That has always been on my short list for relocating, if I ever did. Oh well…VA isn’t too bad.

changer1701 on March 16, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Comment expressing much surprised, followed by a subsequent “sarcasm tag,” as it is known in the blog community.

blatantblue on March 16, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Electrongod on March 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM

One of the most beautiful places on earth: Glacier National Park, MT. And spectacular star-filled skies.

IrishEi on March 16, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Cindy Munford on March 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

I hope Baier cuts off the talking points and goes for the jugular.

BuckeyeSam on March 16, 2010 at 8:49 PM

IrishEi on March 16, 2010 at 8:47 PM

You nailed it. That is where I lived. God’s country. Well I lived just 20 miles south of Glacier park.

Electrongod on March 16, 2010 at 8:51 PM

BuckeyeSam on March 16, 2010 at 8:49 PM

From your keyboard to God’s eyes.

Cindy Munford on March 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM

With all respect, Mr Pundit, who the hell cares about polling data?

In the minds of Osama Obama and his totalitarian thugs, what the people care about, want or need has no place. It’s all about absolute power, so the hate-filled Traitor-in-Chief can exorcise the demons implanted in his head by Indonesian schooling, Rev. Wright and all his terrorist pals.

You’d probably get a high percentage of responders agreeing that the USA should fly its flag over relief and military missions too, as well as find pretty solid support for those nations that have long been faithful allies but are now “enemies” to the Chicago Jesus.

So polls are meaningless in the USSA. They merely give aid and comfort to the armchair politi-geeks that see this all as some kind of grand game, not as the impending death of the United States.

MrScribbler on March 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM

O/T, but Drudge is really testing my intestinal fortitude today with the pics he is posting…

The double Pelosi was bad enough, but now Hillary’s mug is on there sporting more bags than the belly of a fully loaded 747.

GAAAAHHHHH!

paragon27x on March 16, 2010 at 8:57 PM

What part of “No” don’t they get?

From NRO:

Cody1991 on March 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM

NBC poll: After nine months, public still doesn’t like ObamaCare

Ya think?! (Um, What is stonger than all caps, bold?) Also, does anyone else wanna vote for a “slap-slap” option on the menu bar?? I couldn’t slap Anninca…it would be the cyber-equivalent of putting a kitten down a garbage disposal…but I’d sure cyberslap some others!

Chewy the Lab on March 16, 2010 at 9:04 PM

What part of “No” don’t they get?

Cody1991 on March 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Ummmm…that would be all of it.

MrScribbler on March 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Jumper

I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend,
You could cut ties with all the lies, that you’ve been living in,
And if you do not want to see me again, I would understand.
I would understand.
The angry boy, a bit too insane,
Icing over a secret pain.
You know you don’t belong.
You’re the first to fight, You’re way too loud,
You’re The flash of light, on a burial shroud.
I know something’s wrong.
Well everyone I know has got a reason, to say,
put the past away.

Dr Evil on March 16, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I recall something my pappy said about giving an idiot just enough rope.

Shocka.

Shocka Zulu!

Lone Star on March 16, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Cindy Munford on March 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Ur gonna think it’s goofy, but if I’m Baier (sp), I’m about crappin’ my pants. This is a career make or break interview.
He’s been pretty minor cheese on Fox up to now (Britt Hume gave him a life line, I hope he gets that!)
I hope the kid (dang, so sorry, I is a pizzy ‘ole lady)has the stones to be strong, yet respectful. To me, stong, but respectful would include:
“Mr. President, no one would question your resolve in ensuring this health care reform gets passed. However, you have also said (repeatedly), that the time for talk is, “over.”
Mr. President, are you saying, that if Congress calls for a vote tomorrow, and it doesn’t pass, that you will abide by that decision? Or will you find some way to bring this thing back up and perpetually harrass the American people?” I would like to know, if we finally get the “up or down vote” you have repeatedly called for, and the vote is down…will you GIVE IT A FLIPPIN REST???

Chewy the Lab on March 16, 2010 at 9:26 PM

OK, I retract this part…but it is a pinky finger-cross “I wish I could say…”

Chewy the Lab on March 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM

The best evidence from Rasmussen is that O’s big plans are not yet working.

With all the glory of the Pelosi machine working to save Americans from evil, you’d think that the strongly support responses would be going up. I.e., the petulant Left would be rallying. But sadly, no.

So the general negative slope this year continues with the day to day noise of polling data.

His hard core base seems to be 22-25%..with another 20+% saying sure, why not.

Actually, these are amazing numbers given the unemployment and deficit and debt. But hey, I hear there’s big news on K-Fed.

r keller on March 16, 2010 at 9:51 PM

The Dems COULD do a hard pivot right and re-do the health care bill. But for some reason, they BELIEVE that their hard-core extreme left has enough votes to keep them in office. They’ve totally discounted the true fact is that they need votes from Democrats, Republicans and Independents to stay in office.

They’re about to learn come November.

GarandFan on March 16, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Why are the minority in this country (that would be sniveling liberals) able to pass something that the majority is opposed to? Maybe global warming afflicts this great disease (Snivelibia) on liberals only. Sounds about right. Glad I’ll never catch it.

Travis1 on March 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM

changer1701 on March 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

I just remember that NBC is involved..and this poll probably skews in liberal favor. They have to much to lose, if they don’t get what they want out of Obama, so they’ll sure as heck do what they can, or have to, to make sure it stays the way they want.

capejasmine on March 16, 2010 at 10:20 PM

I think Obama and the Dems would have had more success in debating the moral argument of insuring millions of uninsured instead of lying that this will help everyone. You CANNOT force insurance companies to remove existing condition clauses and insure 30 million people while still lowering insurance costs for everyone . This was a big lie all along.

Dennis D on March 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM

1st ammendement

It’s meaningless if you are being ignored.

“It’s election night and I’m crying on national tv, boo hoo hoo, a black man is president, Rosa Parks had it difficult, …. Rosa Parks didn’t do nothing but sit on her fat black ass [source Barbershop the Movie]”

Obambi is a marxist first … period.

father on March 16, 2010 at 10:46 PM

“Rosa Parks didn’t do nuthin’ but sit her Black ass down!”

Get it straight, got it straight

Also, what a disaster it’s been after 1 year as President.

father on March 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Neither bamacare nor bama…especially bama!!! Man, what a loser.

jgdp on March 16, 2010 at 11:04 PM

The really bad part about all this is, come Saturday when the House Dems commit treason, the filthy lying coward in the White House will schedule an address and gloat that he won despite the will of the American public.

highhopes on March 17, 2010 at 6:59 AM

I would very much like to see one person in Congress (other than Pelozilla) who honestly, truly, sincerely feels, from the bottom of their heart, that they have the sure rock-steady confidence that this health care thing is going to work if it is allowed to become the law of the land.

And then I would like to see that one person have the guts to get up in front of the rest of us and try to convince us that we should be feeling the same way as well.

And lots of luck trying to find that one person.

pilamaye on March 17, 2010 at 7:34 AM

highhopes on March 17, 2010 at 6:59 AM

I believe it. This November will be sweet.

nyx on March 17, 2010 at 8:56 AM