More pics of the Reagan Hope & Change billboard

posted at 12:15 pm on March 16, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Think of this as closing the loop from yesterday.  After we broke national news yesterday with another mystery billboard here in Minnesota criticizing Barack Obama by comparing him to his predecessors — in this case, Ronald Reagan — some felt that the picture was in some way photoshopped.  That belief persisted even after other news agencies confirmed with Franklin Outdoor Advertising that the sign existed exactly as we reported, on I-94 outside of Albertville on the northwest end of the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area.

Hot Air reader and commenter Bishop conducted his own photojournalistic expedition this morning — and as readers can see, he had to deal with weather that was hardly conducive to the effort.  Here are a few more shots of the Reagan Billboard taken today, which will hopefully put to rest any questions of authenticity:

Bishop also took video of the billboard:

That should settle any questions of authenticity.

Update: WCCO, the local CBS affiliate, has a video report on this as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

President Reagan was a class act. A true patriot. When he gave a speech people could believe what he said. Those days are gone for now.

scalleywag on March 16, 2010 at 1:15 PM

That’s a really nice billboard. You could fit the entire Coffee Party on that puppy.

Doctor Zero on March 16, 2010 at 1:20 PM

“Bishop also took video of the billboard:”

+7% Bishop…!

Seven Percent Solution on March 16, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Thanks for the photos Bishop!!

yoda on March 16, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Good job, Bishop.

And yeah, we could use a real President right about now.

PS - Send us some new trolls, Axelrod.

The current bunch barely qualify as roadkill.

CPT. Charles on March 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM

However, Gallup found “the lowest weekly average of his administration so far”. So things aren’t exactly looking better.

amerpundit on March 16, 2010 at 1:09 PM

that’s one way of putting it. the other way is:

More broadly, however, Obama’s ratings over the last 3 ½ months have been relatively stable.

which is what gallup says at the link ed kindly provided.

sesquipedalian on March 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Reagan: Tear down this wall.

Obama: Tear down this country.

Christien on March 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Thanks for the photos Bishop!!
yoda on March 16, 2010 at 1:22 PM

No problem. It took me forever to photoshop the rain into the shots considering that it was actually 80 degrees and sunny. Then I had to had in the vehicles, the trees….ugh, it took me forever.

Finally I had to string all the images together and make a fake video and let me tell ya, that is more difficult than it sounds.

Bishop on March 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM

drudge is showing that the dem whip count may be delayed past Easter.

ted c on March 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Yes, and I love the accompanying picture of sad-faced Obama! Who wants to Photoshop some clown makeup and tears onto it?

Oh, and whoever up-thread was trying to pin the Department of Education on Reagan’s Presidency, wrong-o. That was a Carter payout to the teachers’ unions for supporting his campaign.

Mary in LA on March 16, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Ahh. the greatest president of the 20th century who defeated communism with a smile

ConservativePartyNow on March 16, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Reagan: Tear down this wall.

Obama: Tear down this country.

Christien on March 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Hehe, I’m stealing this :)

MeatHeadinCA on March 16, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Doctor Zero on March 16, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Hahahahahaha! Wheeze

Bob's Kid on March 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Thanks for debunking the ‘shopped myth. Thanks for whoever put up the sign. And thanks President Reagan for your service!

scalleywag on March 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Bishop on March 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Shhh! I promise not to tell anyone. ( :

yoda on March 16, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Thanks for debunking the ’shopped myth. Thanks for whoever put up the sign. And thanks President Reagan for your service!

scalleywag on March 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Not a myth. It was photoshopped. It just happened to be photoshopped to look like something real.

LibTired on March 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM

President Reagan would be appalled at what’s been going on in DC this past year and he sure wouldn’t have put up with that shrieking harpy Pelosi for very long.

scalleywag on March 16, 2010 at 1:35 PM

you mean the other breaking news one about his stable approval over the last 3 months?

sesquipedalian on March 16, 2010 at 1:03 PM

He’s stable, curse you! STABLE!

Oh man, you’re cute when you’re depressed.

TheUnrepentantGeek on March 16, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Great job, Bishop and Ed. Poor Trolls. Comparing the present occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to The Man on this billboard is like comparing Pavoratti to Willam Hung singing “She Bang”.

kingsjester on March 16, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Bishop on March 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Bachmann represents the district that encompasses Washington county (east of St Paul). So how does the billboard located northwest of the cities be in “Bachmann territory”?

I know splitting hairs, just a bit curious. Hey, do you have a hotdish recipe to share?

jbh45 on March 16, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Kudos to Bishop! Good job!

clearbluesky on March 16, 2010 at 1:40 PM

pulitzer nomination: guaranteed.

sesquipedalian on March 16, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Well, considering how little it takes to get a Peace Prize these days…

anglee99 on March 16, 2010 at 1:40 PM

jbh45 on March 16, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Minnesota’s Sixth Congressional District includes most or all of Benton, Sherburne, Stearns, Wright, Anoka, and Washington counties.

This billboard is in Wright county, a pocket of deep red voters.

Bishop on March 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM

A day early, but always a great Reagan moment:

“Tim, hold on a minute. Wait a minute. Listen. It was McCarthy, Reagan, Delehanty, Brady. What the hell did this guy have against the Irish?”

Christien on March 16, 2010 at 1:48 PM

You know, I’m writing in Reagan next election. I don’t care if he’s a zombie, vampire, or nothing but bones, it’s still better than this.

John Deaux on March 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Again, obviously the billboard does exist, but just as obviously the photo of it yesterday was “enhanced.”

Yeah, this is my business so maybe I went a little overboard, but here’s proof if you’re itching to see it:

Typhoon on March 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM

which is what gallup says at the link ed kindly provided.

sesquipedalian on March 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM

And at that link, you’ll see for the same 3 months, the radical in chief hasn’t broken 48% approval among independents. A stable 45% average, in fact.

anglee99 on March 16, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Because the real one is pretty washed-out and weak looking. Probably whoever submitted the first image is the buyer of the board, had the original artwork, and superimposed it over the mediocrely-printed actual board.

If Franklin happens to see this, I can save them from further embarrassments of this type.

Typhoon on March 16, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Not likely. If you use photoshop’s histogram tool, you see the standard Gaussian noise associated with an actual photograph, including that billboard. The area I’m looking in the histogram is the black background of the billboard, whose intensity value you can obtain via the eyedropper tool. Notice the spike and the Gaussian noise tails on either side? If they merely took the output from the computer program which made the sign skin, they’d have a single intensity value.

I’ve also selected two rectangular areas of the image — the area to the left of the R and above the h, and the area to the right of the question mark and histogrammed both. Very low intensity camera noise is obvious, indicating either imager imperfections or a high ISO (ev boost) rating on a good imager.

If you take either black area, and you do frequency expansion of intensity, you find intrusion of brightening sky color (blue) in the black, just as one would expect if examining any shaded object under a clear sunny sky outdoors, but not directly lit by sunlight (blackbody under blue sky). Also note the minor spike next to (slightly darker than) the major one — this is an artifact I believe is associated with the vertical bracings on the sign.

Furthermore, if one examines the closer views of the billboard, one can see the technology used to secure the skin to the surface of the billboard. If one examines yesterday’s picture, one can see similar artifacts in the photo.

Finally, with respect to “washed out” look in the newer photos, several are taken in light rain which will contribute. The one taken from below certainly “pops” — albeit with washed out highlights due to the angle of reflectance from the sky in the billboard.

It’s looking like there’s been some manipulation of the photo — the inserted EXIF tag indicates it’s been processed by Roxio Photosuite, and the DHT/DQT jpeg tags indicate a standard YCbCr manipulation upon storage.

Unless someone finds a smoking gun in the Roxio EXIF tag (I don’t have the product so the tag makes no sense), there are no embarrassments here.

unclesmrgol on March 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Bishop on March 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM

No hotdish recipe? You must not be native to MN…

jbh45 on March 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I’m surprised that Barry isn’t screaming about ‘Where’s MY billboard?”

GarandFan on March 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM

unclesmrgol on March 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM

*Chuckling*

Ohhh, I see.

Perhaps you can also then explain how there’s camera noise everywhere in yesterday’s image… except in the billboard face.

Typhoon on March 16, 2010 at 2:10 PM

No hotdish recipe? You must not be native to MN…
jbh45 on March 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Goulash hotdish: 2 cups macaroni noodles, 1 pound ground beef, 1 can tomato soup. Boil noodles, brown the beef, add soup, stir it all up. Done. Some freaks add corn to this but not me.

Tater tot hotdish: use the goulash recipe, cover top with tater tots, bake at 375 for 20 minutes, cover with cheese, bake another 5 minutes. Done.

Alternate tater tot hotdish: 2 pounds tater tots, 1.5 cups shredded cheese, 1 can cream of mushroom soup. Bake at 375 until desired crispness of tots. I like to add potato chips at this point over top of hotdish, cover that with another can of cream of mushroom soup, bake about another 10 minutes. Done.

Bishop on March 16, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Typhoon on March 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Good work, I thought the original was a bit too saturated and looked unreal. So, technically, it could have been photoshopped.

I think too many people associate “photoshopping” with creating something that isn’t there. However, even adjusting levels, saturation, curves, etc., is still considered photoshopping, IMO.

rightside on March 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Bishop,

Next time you drive by, honk your car horn for me! I miss all the grownups in DC. All we have (ruining) running the place now are snarky bullys.

TN Mom on March 16, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Bishop on March 16, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Dang it, Bishop, now I’m hungry!
(BTW, were/are you LC Bishop on the Rottweiler?)

Mary in LA on March 16, 2010 at 2:20 PM

…without being vandalized or torched by outraged but peaceful leftists.

Bishop on March 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Heh. Love the way you put that. Good work on the photos, too, nice to know that billboard is the real deal.

jwolf on March 16, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Dang it, Bishop, now I’m hungry!
(BTW, were/are you LC Bishop on the Rottweiler?)
Mary in LA on March 16, 2010 at 2:20 PM

No but I was an LC long ago under a different name. I left Rott after it started to become too inclusive of the “old guard” though I lurk there now and it seems to be getting better.

Bishop on March 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Doctor Zero on March 16, 2010 at 1:20 PM

The Coffee Party:

Two Girls, One Cup.

warbaby on March 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM

DUDE! Bishop! You’re hot. Love the accent. No offense to any Mrs. Bishop. Nice choice of music too.

Sultry Beauty on March 16, 2010 at 2:35 PM

…I left Rott after it started to become too inclusive of the “old guard” though I lurk there now and it seems to be getting better.

Bishop on March 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I used to practically live on that site, day and night. Even met up with a couple of fellow Anti-Idiotarians. For a while, though, the firewall at work blocked it as “Profanity”. (Emperor Misha doesn’t mince words!) So I got out of the habit… and then I found Hot Air. :-) Sounds like I should go back for a visit.

Back on topic: Thanks so much for clearing up the great billboard controversy!

Mary in LA on March 16, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I think it’s the black background that makes it seem photoshopped. It makes the whole thing just pop out at you.

Sultry Beauty on March 16, 2010 at 2:41 PM

In a month or two, I expect to see a Jimmy Carter billboard.

BDU-33 on March 16, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Good job Bishop
And a nice profile you got there @ youtube

macncheez on March 16, 2010 at 3:08 PM

In a month or two, I expect to see a Jimmy Carter billboard.

BDU-33 on March 16, 2010 at 3:06 PM

You’d need two of them in sequence.

Billboard #1: Pic of Carter, caption “Remember when we thought we knew what failure was?”

Billboard #2: Pic of Obama, caption “Now we really know!”

jwolf on March 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Meghan Kelly used this picture on her show today.

Brat4life on March 16, 2010 at 3:19 PM

The real difference between Reagan and Obama is Reagan believed in God ,country and the American peoples wisdom .Obama believes he is God and the American people should be on there knees thanking him for his wisdom.

thmcbb on March 16, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Great job Bishop! Now we just have to wait for Daily KOs to find a way to explain that away. I am expecting a smear on your character and some conspiracy theory about space aliens and their advanced video editing technologies.

Hawthorne on March 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Typhoon on March 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I “enhance” photos all the time(red eye, bad light, etc) It does not make the photo fake, nor does it change the subject in the photo. When Photo-shopping is mentioned, the author usually is calling the photo a fake , not “enhanced”

IowaWoman on March 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM

In a month or two, I expect to see a Jimmy Carter billboard.

BDU-33 on March 16, 2010 at 3:06 PM
You’d need two of them in sequence.

Billboard #2: Pic of Obama, caption “Now we really know!”

jwolf on March 16, 2010

A great idea, jwolf. Can you reduce that first sentence from nine words to six for a quicker read; more conducive to outdoor advertising specs? Hope some patriot with money picks up on the idea.

Extrafishy on March 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Nixon, Ford & Reagan played football. They chortle while Soetoro fumbles – and then blames the defense.

BHO Jonestown on March 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Poster #1 ( CARTER)
YOU THOUGHT THIS WAS A FAILURE ?

Poster #2 ( OBAMA)
YOU AIN’T SEEN NOTHING YET

macncheez on March 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM

macncheez on March 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM

For

Extrafishy on March 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM

macncheez on March 16, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Typhoon on March 16, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I found noise in the billboard face too — see my previous comment. I even selected a completely “black” area and found noise — see my previous comment.

unclesmrgol on March 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Typhoon on March 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM

You failed to show the results of both horizontal and vertical Sobel analyses, much less a dilation convolution, or even the rather generic Edge Detect available in Photoshop or Gimp or Image Magick. You would then see that that artifacts associated with the sign technology are still present and much more visible. That includes the sign corners and the top and bottom ribs.

This picture’s histogram shows no empty cells due to contrast expansion, so, if that was done (which seems to be the case) the original may well have been captured in 48 bit color and downsampled.

I do this for a living too, by the way. *Chuckle*

And, like IowaWoman, I don’t call it fake — because digital cameras can do all this stuff “in camera” nowadays, so if you want to call it fake, every picture taken by a camera which runs these algorithms is fake.

unclesmrgol on March 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM

SWEET!!

Khun Joe on March 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM

It makes me so proud this is in Minnesota!

gophergirl on March 16, 2010 at 6:29 PM

A worm that digested fourteen Reagan brain cells knows more about governance than anyone in the present White House.

JEM on March 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM

“Where have you gone Ron Wilson Reagan?
Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you
Woo Woo Woo..”

Not my lyrics from the “Here’s to You Mr. Jefferson” video:

JeffersonFan on March 16, 2010 at 7:08 PM

unclesmrgol on March 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Alright, here’s one last image. A blowup of the same section of the sign from yesterday and today:

One on the left is Bishop’s image; one on the right the one from yesterday.

If you seriously want to argue that the one from yesterday isn’t heavily manipulated past the camera you go right ahead, but there’s no question you’re mistaken, and I won’t argue such a silly point further. What you’re calling “noise” and “gaussian” whatever in yesterday’s image is obviously simple jpg distortion. However it’s obvious here that for the most part there is no “noise” of any kind in the black, nor are the corners correct at all.

Interestingly also, yesterday’s image was 1.7 x 1.3 inches at 300 dpi, and had no embedded profile, even though its color space was sRGB. This is typical file structure of no camera of which I’m aware.

Personally I think the image is a mock-up the printer gave someone of what the sign was going to look like.

IowaWoman on March 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM

“Enhance” was my term.

And while you’re right, my only point here is that the image posted yesterday was so obviously heavily manipulated that it may as well have been fake, even if the billboard does exist.

Typhoon on March 16, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Er, 300 ppi, thatis to say.

Typhoon on March 16, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Reagan: Tear down this wall.

Obama: Tear down this country.

Christien on March 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM

That is a bumper sticker. Me want.

Ward Cleaver on March 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM

LOL, Typhoon is channeling a dyslexic Dan Rather. “Real, but still fake.”

Enkidu on March 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM

One on the left is Bishop’s image; one on the right the one from yesterday.

Typhoon on March 16, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Examination of the entropy values gotten by reconstructing from the JPEG DHT/DQT values of the original image, and the ones associated with Bishop’s image, indicate that Bishop’s image carries far more image information (almost certainly not noise, given your blowup) than the original. The entropy table extends across the entire image.

An examination of the two histograms indicates that the original image’s entire intensity gamut is only two thirds of Bishop’s.

Using GIMP, and stretching Bishop’s intensity histogram to match that of the original, I get the same artifacts present in the adjusted Bishop’s image that you found in the original.

What I find really interesting is that the EXIF information is important. Both images have been processed by the identical software — Roxio Imagesuite. Bishop’s image has been scaled to the identical size as the original, and contains camera information stripped out of (or not present in) the original image.

There is exactly one person who can explain the provenance of the original image, since the camera information is not present/removed, and that’s Ed. Maybe he can post the “real” original image as a link, because the one we have has obviously been scaled by Roxio Photosuite — and, I suspect, by Ed as author, to fit the comfortable confines of whatever skin HotAir is using.

I’m going to try to goad Ed into coughing up info, although I suspect it won’t work and he’s laughing at us as we professionally huff at each other. Ok, Typhoon, I give in — you are right and this image bears all of the hallmarks of a rather inexpertly manipulated Photoshop — or, rather, Roxio Photosuite.

I really do.

unclesmrgol on March 16, 2010 at 9:15 PM

LOL, Typhoon is channeling a dyslexic Dan Rather. “Real, but still fake.”

Enkidu on March 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM

After heated argument, he’s convinced me he may be right. Waiting for Ed.

unclesmrgol on March 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Sean Hannity just mentioned this on his show.

Mike Morrissey on March 16, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Bishop, looks like you just got honorable mention by proxy from Mr. Hannity! Now the whole world will jump on here and see your great pics (and wade through Typhoon’s tiresome whinging…).

LOL, Typhoon is channeling a dyslexic Dan Rather. “Real, but still fake.”

Enkidu on March 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Well ‘course… that’s ’cause them Asian cyclones go the opposite die-rection to our here Stateside storms like “Hurricane Dan”… ;)

RD on March 16, 2010 at 9:50 PM

After heated argument, he’s convinced me he may be right. Waiting for Ed.

unclesmrgol on March 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I’m convinced he’s confusing “manipulated” with “crappy.” It was a crappy photo. So what.

Ronnie on March 17, 2010 at 2:14 AM

1952: “I, in my own mind, have always thought of America as a place in the divine scheme of things that was set aside as a promised land.”

1964: “You and I have a rendezvous with destiny.”

1977: “Our task now is not to sell a philosophy, but to make the majority of Americans, who already share that philosophy, see that modern conservatism offers them a political home. We are not a cult, we are members of a majority. Let’s act and talk like it.”

1981: “The years ahead will be great ones for our country, for the cause of freedom and the spread of civilization.”…”I hope the people on Wall Street will pay attention to the people on Main Street. If they do, they will see there is a rising tide of confidence in the future of America.”

1982: “To be young in my generation was to feel that your future had been mortgaged out from under you, and that’s a tragic mistake we must never allow our leaders to make again.”

1984: “We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free.”

1984: “In this springtime of hope, some lights seem eternal; America’s is.”

1986: “The American people brought us back — with quiet courage and common sense; with undying faith that in this nation under God the future will be ours, for the future belongs to the free.”

1994: “In closing, let me thank you, the American people, for giving me the great honor of allowing me to serve as your president. When the Lord calls me home, whenever that day may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future. I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead.”

Got Hope?

Noel on March 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM

The purpose of a billboard is to be seen, so I don’t care about the provenance of the pic

Maybe a controversy will get more folk to look

That picture of Reagan is my absolute favorite. Happy and free, a little bit of cowboy, and a lot of sunshine. The opposite of slick. The essence of what the Obama crowd is not. I get a pang in my heart when I see that photo.

Noel on March 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Great Reagan quotes show the chasm between Reagan’s vision, and Obie’s

1980: “[The Democrats] say that the United States has had its days in the sun, that our nation has passed its zenith.… My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view.” – Ronaldus Maximus

The earth is very old, and man with all his failings is still imperfect enough to require redemption. This will never change.

The Left believes getting more controls into the system will correct their imperfect world. Therefore they are a joyless bunch, unable to control the non conformists to reach utopia.

Reagan found joy that imperfect man could attain greatness if given a system in which to express free will, and if good men would follow the wisdon of the Good Book, which they will strive to do if they believe in the Redeemer, or in the Prophets

Reagan could be an optimist because he knew man with good guidance could be trusted with liberty. The anti-Reagans cannot be happy until liberty is replaced with government oversight

Funny how the left was saying our nation was dead so many years ago

entagor on March 17, 2010 at 12:50 PM

How about a billboard with Reagan saying “Tear down this wall”, with a picture of Pelosi on the other side?

Steve Z on March 17, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I’ll settle for a beer.

Ed Morrissey on March 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Any time you’re in the neighborhood of Boston, Ed. Just give me a holler. I owe you one.

MrLynn on March 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM