CNN: ObamaCare opponents 11 votes away from killing the bill

posted at 9:21 pm on March 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

I maintain that whip counts are worthless, but (a) the GOP has the same count and (b) since we’re probably headed for a bitter defeat this weekend, we should enjoy our illusions of hope while we can.

Feel the nomentum. Can you feel it?

Five more House Democrats said Tuesday that they will vote against Senate health care legislation, which puts opponents of reform just 11 votes shy of the 216 needed to prevent President Obama from scoring a major victory on his top domestic priority…

A total of 27 House Democrats, including nine who supported the House plan in November, have indicated that they would join a unified Republican caucus in opposing the Senate plan, which passed in that chamber December 24 with the minimum required 60 votes…

Of the 39 Democrats who voted against the House plan in November, 17 have indicated that they will vote against the Senate plan as written, 11 remain uncommitted, and nine did not return repeated calls for comment.

One member, Parker Griffith of Alabama, became a Republican in December. An additional member, Rep. Eric Massa of New York, resigned his seat last week.

If the reports tonight are true, Kucinich will be a no-to-yes flip tomorrow. Even so, all we need are 11 of the 19 undecided Dems who hated this thing enough to vote no on the House bill way back in November? Granted, the Senate bill is kinda sorta more fiscally conservative than Pelosi’s bill was (no public option, for starters), but the political climate is more toxic now too. Eleven seems … possible, especially with the phones melting down. No wonder The One feels obliged to crawl to Fox News tomorrow to try to make the case to centrist Dems and independents, in case they didn’t grasp it the previous nine thousand times he made it.

Here’s a scene from the Hill captured by CBS this afternoon; note the line near the end about a “Chavez” taking over the country. As I’m writing this, Ed forwards me this mysterious link along with a reminder of comments from Democrat Carol Shea-Porter from January. Dude — the women are plotting.

Watch CBS News Videos Online

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Do you really want to give a name to those who think like me (and Allahpundit)? How about “realist”.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 9:09 AM

You’re probably right. Most everyone will just runawayy with their tail between their legs crowing “I told you so” while congratulating themselves on being realists.

Heck, look at you: you’re already patting yourself on the back. You should be proud. It’s “practical realists” like yourself that the statists are counting on.

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Once Health Care Reform passes and the notion that it will “destroy the world” is over, Conservatives will go to the next thing to be “outraged” about and this issue will be forgotten.

Time to get ahead of the game and be “outraged” about something else. In the meantime go buy some GOLD.

Decider on March 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Too bad the protests by the teaparty crowd was a lot smaller than anticipated.

That didn’t help matters.

AnninCA on March 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Decider on March 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Seeing that we’re such a fickle, flighty lot, we need a decider like you to set us straight and keep us focused, Mr. Decider.

Are you like a super-hero or something? The Decider? If so, please help us Mr. Decider because we need you.

I, for one, will be completely lost and without a cause to be outraged over should ObamaCare pass. Please decide for us what should get our shorts in a knot next.

Thank you in advance for your decisive wisdom, Mr. Decider.

Yours Truly
Rootless Rod

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 10:56 AM

“The women are plotting.”

Given the tight correlation between women’s suffrage and the inexorable ascendency of the nanny state, it should come as no surprise that ‘the women’ would pull out all the stops to get ObamaCare passed.

Maybe in the 2013 Congress we can get enough votes to repeal women’s suffrage?

PD Quig on March 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Decider on March 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Gloat while you can. Payback is a … well, we all know what payback is.

Venusian Visitor on March 17, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Too bad the protests by the teaparty crowd was a lot smaller than anticipated.

That didn’t help matters.

AnninCA on March 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Yeah, them protests was disappointingly small.

Venusian Visitor on March 17, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Too bad the protests by the teaparty crowd was a lot smaller than anticipated.

That didn’t help matters.

AnninCA on March 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM

It was a weekday, and unlike the drone students, unions and bums that the left drags out … most people have to work.

If this keeps going the way it is … I don’t think we’ll have to worry about people showing up in DC, and they won’t be there to protest.

darwin on March 17, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever been this upset over politics.

disa on March 16, 2010 at 9:27 PM

The fact this unconstitutional disaster was even able to see the light of day let alone stand a good chance of passing has me feeling the lowest I’ve ever felt about my govt as well. Before they confounded and irritated me but if/when this passes I wont be able to express into words how much I despise and loath the bastards.

2010 and 2012, Repeal platform or there’s no point in voting I’m afraid.

Yakko77 on March 17, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Decider on March 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Unfortunately for your side, once Obamacare passes, it does not take effect until 2013 (except, of course, for tax increases and taking money from Medicare). So, nobody will know how it will work. I imagine if Obama and his cronies really thought it would work wonderfully, they would not have had this legislation that WE DESPERATELY NEED RIGHT NOW take affect AFTER the next presidential election. That, in and of itself, is very telling on how well they believe Obamacare will actually be liked by the populace. If they really believed it would be popular, they would have it start immediately.

Monkeytoe on March 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Decider on March 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM

How do you KNOW That, Genius????

How do you KNOW That the increased taxation won’t crush the economy?

How do you KNOW That the burden of another bloated entitlement program won’t make the whole system collapse?

How do you KNOW That the Demon Passing of National Socialist Healthcare won’t cause a number of Doctor’s to quit or retire from the profession?

How do you KNOW That the addition of 30 million new patient + illegal aliens won’t force the National Socialist Healthcare to Ration care?

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 10:32 AM

So statists are counting on people like me, who know what they’re up to, as opposed to people like you, who deny the reality right in front of their faces? Really? Is that the best you can do?

Tell ya what, you keep telling us all how you can stop them, even though not one thing you’ve done has made any difference at all (not that I think you’ve done one thing mind you) and when I’m proven right (yet again) you can then tell us how you’re gonna get them to stop it.

And don’t misunderstand, I really want to be wrong here. I’m not, you know I’m not, and your pissing and moaning on the web won’t make me wrong, no matter how much you want it to. Go on, big guy, do something about it.

Better yet, plan for reality. What will you do when they pass this? Piss and moan some more? That’s my bet.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 11:47 AM

What will you do when they pass this? Piss and moan some more? That’s my bet.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Maybe they’ll march around a few more times waving their guns, they’re pretty mad. (being all the time in the crosshairs of a sniper, of course)

Dark-Star on March 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Dark-Star on March 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Or maybe we’ll just stop producing for the Collective, like 46% of the Doctors are considering if National Socialist Healthcare (Demon) Passes.

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Even if this passes it is not the end of the world. The commies, thugs, and zombies elected this empty suit Obama by a landslide, and they have big majorities in both Houses of Congress. The reason that there is even a question about passage of this abomination is that the majority of the public is angry – really, really angry.

Anyone who thinks the public will be less angry or less determined because this barely passes by virtue of bribes, strokes, intimidation, and parliamentary sleight-of-hand is deluding themselves. Passage of this Bill by these methods will enrage a large proportion of the electorate. Yes, enrage. If you think that is a good thing for the commies, thugs, and zombies, I wish you would explain your reasoning.

Venusian Visitor on March 17, 2010 at 12:15 PM

What will you do when they pass this?

Elect enough Republicans to repeal it either in 2011 or after we throw Barry’s worthless ass out of office in 2012.

Never give up and never give in.

NoDonkey on March 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Decider on March 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM

How do you KNOW That, Genius????
How do you KNOW That the increased taxation won’t crush the economy?

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Decider’s an idiot. It just pops in to spout off crap it knows it can’t backup.

darwin on March 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Decider’s an idiot. It just pops in to spout off crap it knows it can’t backup.
darwin on March 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Yes, I realize that, I’m just not in a mood to deal with fools today.

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I just cannot see a handful of Democrats standing in the way of the Left’s Holy Grail… can’t see it… they’ll all cave.

mankai on March 17, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Go on, big guy, do something about it.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I can’t. I can’t. I’m too petrified and shaking in my boots. Please don’t hit me!

Of course statists count on people like you. You’re not a “realist”: you’re a “defeatist”. You think they’d be pushing this down our throats if they didn’t believe we’d roll over and die like you?

You say you plan for reality. So what’s your plan? Run for the hills? Cower? Runawayyy?

Had your pessimistic, myopic viewpoint reigned 250 years ago we’d be singing “God Save the Queen” at cricket games.

And will I piss and moan some more? Yeah! You’re damn right I will. I’ll piss and moan so much they’ll be wearing waders and headphones in Washington.

I’ll piss and moan like I did when I campaigned for Brown here in MA. Despite the fact that you’re blind to it, that made a difference.

And I will continue to piss and moan as I invest even more of my time and money to rout these bastards out of office and replace them with true Americans.

What are you going to do? Tell everyone to “get real” like you??

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I almost hope that the leftists gain a victory on Obamacare.

Venusian Visitor on March 17, 2010 at 12:45 PM

It’s not over. Call, call, call.

darwin on March 17, 2010 at 12:49 PM

What are you going to do? Tell everyone to “get real” like you??

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Right on! Right on!

It’s not over until we say it’s over!

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 1:03 PM

OK another try for my “victory” link: victory

Venusian Visitor on March 17, 2010 at 1:15 PM

What are you going to do? Tell everyone to “get real” like you??

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM

First of all, I applaud your efforts on behalf of Scott Brown, I am chastised after accusing you of doing nothing….

That being said, what difference did it make? Do you see my point? It made zero difference, that vote was already taken, and it matters nothing to the house.

None of the Tea Party protests have made a difference, and none ever will. They don’t care. They will pass this. Period.

So yeah, I’m gonna tell everyone to get real. Get used to the idea of nationalized socialist healthcare. I will continue to do what I can to advance the freedom I think everyone should have, but you seem to forget that it was your fellow Americans who voted this bunch into office (not just BO but the vast majorities in congress as well).

It matters not how many republicans get elected on the promise to roll this back. If you think they have the stones to do that, you haven’t been watching. The next time they hold all power in Washington, they will not do one damn thing to roll this back. If you have any evidence to the contrary, I’d LOVE to see it.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I’d agree with a lot of this but for two things: First, there have been an awful lot of congressional resignations that appear to have been a direct result of the Tea Parties and, second, the Tea Party protests are directed against the Republican Party as well as the Democrats. As I see it, the pressure is being exerted on both parties and it has produced results.

Venusian Visitor on March 17, 2010 at 1:36 PM

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I don’t know about everyone else, but a lot of my anger is at the Republicans that allowed this travesty to happen – they could have done something, but they didn’t.
They were too worried the NSM would say “Bad things” about them – like whether they did anything or not would have made one flip of a difference.

So no matter what happens, the Republicans had better wise up and get with the program.

Lest they will end up on the ash heap of history along with the National Socialist Democrat party.

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM

GALLUP poll finally shows Oblahblah upside down. 47% disapprove, 46% approve. Rush said that Teh One could’ve made a move to the center after the Scott Brown win and instead chose to double down on the liberal side of things. This should show the 53% who voted for this idiot that he lied all the way through the campaign. He’s at the same % McCain was during the election. Dims are convinced this is a left of center country.

I’m one of those who marched around holding my “I am Joe Wilson” sign. I’m glad I did it. The Dims DID hear us, they chose to ignore us. And sometimes it seems the Republicans paid attention…we’ll see about that, too. Paybacks are hell. I hope they find themselves there in November.

Yellowdog12 on March 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Venusian Visitor on March 17, 2010 at 1:36 PM

All valid points, but my original point was that none of it has made any difference concerning whether this healthcare takeover happens or not. I hope the republicans do take over congress (they may get one house, probably not 2), and I hope they are alot more conservative (in word AND deed) than we’ve come to expect. But I still don’t think they’ll even try to repeal obamacare. The press will make it too painful, and the people will yet again put democrats into power as a result of the media’s lies. And they’ll run for the tall grass just like they always do.

We’re in a political war for survival, but our frontline troops think their job is diplomacy. Democrats understand political trench warfare, leftists have always been the best at it. The republicans are simply outgunned and too timid to do what needs doing.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM

You’re absolutely correct. What are the odds that will happen? Be honest, at least with yourself when answering this question, it’s vitally important we get it right.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 1:59 PM

It’s a difficult question – predicated on a number of unknowns.
I honestly don’t know – but what other options do we have?

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM

It’s a difficult question – predicated on a number of unknowns.
I honestly don’t know – but what other options do we have?

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM

And that’s exactly my point. We don’t have any other options. We have 2 parties, one that demands absolute power and a second that won’t stand against the first. A third party is doomed to failure, at least in the short term, and I don’t honestly believe there is enough time to form it anyway. I think we’re that close to collapse.

Are there other options? Sure. Do we have the will (political or otherwise) to exercise them? You’d have a hell of a time convincing me we do. Again, our fellow Americans did this. Blame the democrats or the media (the most liable, IMO) all you like, but ultimately we did this to ourselves.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 2:30 PM

The republicans are simply outgunned and too timid to do what needs doing.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I agree with that wholeheartedly. The Dems at least have their Socialist beliefs to buck them up; too many Repubs are mere social climbers who want to be the coolest kid in the country club, and see national office as some sort of super-duper high school class presidency.

The Republican Party as it now exists won’t ever come through. We need to change the party, get a new one, or try something different. One thing is for sure: if we keep playing the other side’s game we will lose every time. Time to change the rules.

Venusian Visitor on March 17, 2010 at 2:31 PM

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I’m glad to see that you’ll do everything you can to “advance freedom” but from my experience your efforts won’t amount to much or last long when they’re coupled with an attitude of “woe is me” and “what difference does it make?”.

You can never succeed at anything if you’re convinced your efforts are worthless and destined to fail.

Rather than focus solely on healthcare, I’d suggest you look past it and focus on the statist mind-set that allowed this fiasco to take root in the first place.

If Obmacare passes and the nation whimpers in resignation, then it’s over. “America” is over. Not because of health-care per se, but because statism finally takes full hold of the country while “freedom” and “individualism” vanish forever. This county will never be the same- it will not be “better place” in it’s new life-controlled-by-Washington-bureaucrats state.

However, if Obamacare passes and it works to increase to a boil an already simmering anger that Americans have against their government then you’ll see a different change: a change where angry American clean house like has never been cleaned before.

Unlike you, I will not “get real” and whimper in defeat. I will be part of that angry uprising and will do everything I can to promote and take advantage of it so that we can take back our country.

You say I forget that these statists were voted in. No, I haven’t. And I intend, like never before, to do everything I can to get them voted back out.

I hope you do the same.

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Here is an update on NRO:

technopeasant on March 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I hope you do the same.

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I hope you’re right, but history is on my side here. Chances are, we’ll be standing there alone or in a very small group, while all those Americans who voted for this crap and the rest who won’t stick their heads up will let us swing in the wind.

The first paragraph I included above is reality. The rest is a pipe dream which has almost never happened. I think my attitude, as distasteful as you find it, will better prepare me to do what you suggest needs doing, but you and I are the exceptions, not the rule.

And no, I’m not suggesting that armed revolt is a good option, or even the only option, but depending on the same Americans who did this in the first place to fix it is as naive as expecting BO to be a Reagan conservative. Pretending otherwise is foolish, reality is what it is.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I’m trying to be more optimistic than you – I don’t really know if I’m succeding or not.
The Republican party maybe has one more chance at best – but it’s a fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

The one thing they could do right now is grow some and stand up to National Socialist Healthcare in any way possible.

Chip on March 17, 2010 at 3:12 PM

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 3:03 PM

With respect, I suspect you’re either very young or very naive. Perhaps both.

I was born in 1950 and have seen, lived through, and been part of many great changes in this country.

I spent time under my classroom desk practicing for the soviet atom bomb and saw that “cold war” won 30 years later.

I protested against Vietnam before I was drafted and fought in it.

I voted for Carter before I voted for Reagan.

I started a multinational company, went bankrupt at 50, lost everything, and started over – and glad for it.

I’ve seen a recent liberal president forced to move center when he lost congress.

So no, from my personal experience, history is not on your side. Not even close.

I turn 60 this year and I haven’t given up. And I certainly don’t intend to just because you have.

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I haven’t given up.

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Semper Fi.

Venusian Visitor on March 17, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM

We can make this personal if you like. I don’t see what that gets you, but obviously you see value added there.

I couldn’t care less what you think of me personally. You responded to me, remember?

I asked for one shred of evidence that the republicans were up to the task of stopping the democrats. You conveniently ignored that. None of your rant shows differently. Reagan knew well what the democrats were all about, but he didn’t stop them either.

If you think the democrats are inclined to move to the center, yet again I ask for one shred of evidence. If you have it, please present it. None of your personal history has any bearing on that answer.

And for the record, I’m 45. Hardly a spring chicken, unless you’re trying to suggest that 60 is really that different (and only you of the 2 of us would know), but do you really think that advances your argument? In other words, history is still on my side and you have yet to show differently. Also, my screenname is a reference to a Monty Python movie, not because of anything political but because it was funny.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 3:40 PM

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Respectfully, even if history is on your side, even if winning is unlikely, even if defeat is near-inevitable – there are some things that a person just can’t walk away from without a fight.

We few. We happy few.

Venusian Visitor on March 17, 2010 at 4:03 PM

We few. We happy few.

Venusian Visitor on March 17, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Can’t argue with ya there. I’m doing what I can (and fortunately I have a pretty good job which makes all that possible) but I’m not gonna just ignore what’s going on here. I will call them as I see them. We need to prepare for what is coming, not what we wish was coming.

Think of it in terms of Revelations. We’re not really supposed to win the fight against evil in the here and now, but we will win it. Just be prepared to fight the actual battles as they are presented, stop gearing up for the fights that are unwinnable.

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 4:09 PM

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I’m sorry if my suggesting you were young and naive offended you. I only had what you posted as evidence. We now know you’re not young.

And I’m glad you don’t care what I think. Rest assured, it’s not much – to worry about, that is.

As for Republicans, I did not ignore them. They are included in my comment about statists – which the majority of them are. They are not up to the task and should be run out of office.

I never said that democrats were “inclined to move center”. I said they had. They seem more inclined to commit suicide this time. I intend to help them meet those commitments.

For the difference between 45 and 60: 20 lbs and less hair.

As for my “advancing argument” – considering your myopic view of history I can see how you’d miss the specific references to dramatic change. But, in any case, if your narrow, selective view helps to maintain your pessimistic outlook, then great. Glad you can use history to feel bad.

Lastly – as for your screen name: You may think that it’s “funny”, but it’s also a very good metaphor for your answer to the current political fix conservatives are in. Good job on so succinctly incorporating your entire political philosophy into one word.

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM

runawayyyy on March 17, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I hope this beats you to your response, if any, regarding my 4:40 post.

I think I own you an apology. I hope you accept.

I’ve taken the time to reread what you have posted and realize that despite your pessimism, you’re up for the fight – and will fight the good fight.

Good for you. How about we agree we’re in the same battle and that I’ll lead the march tooting my little tin horn? You can forlornly follow behind as part of our little hopeless band of losers destined to be slaughtered.

Rod on March 17, 2010 at 4:57 PM

What will you do when they pass this?

Never give up and never give in.

NoDonkey on March 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Glad to know I’m not alone on the repeal platform advocacy if/when this disaster passes.

Yakko77 on March 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM