Surprise: Matt Damon anti-war movie an atomic bomb at the box office

posted at 7:40 pm on March 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

I admit that I haven’t seen it — and neither has anyone else, apparently — but the reviews from righty film critics were simply gruesome, with Kyle Smith moved by its smearmongering to call it “one of the most egregiously anti-American movies ever released by a major studio.”

If you go by per-screen average, it did as well as in its first week as “Our Family Wedding.” Come, share my amusement.

Green Zone, reteaming Damon with Paul Greengrass, his director in the last two, very popular Jason Bourne films, earned just $14.5 million in its first three days at North American theaters, according to early studio estimates. That’s way below industry predictions (in the low to middle $20 millions) and less than a quarter of the $62 million amassed this weekend by the defending champ, Alice in Wonderland…

Universal, the studio that produced Green Zone, had smelled something bad for more than a year. Greengrass and Damon shot their picture during the last few months of the Bush Administration. Then, writes Anne Thompson on her IndieWire blog, the studio’s co-chairmen, Marc Shmuger and David Linde, “pushed back the Green Zone postproduction and release to allow Greengrass to find the film — and an ending — in the editing room.” The movie’s budget was at least $130 million, plus another $100 million or so to bring to market, and is unlikely to return even half that sum to Universal. The Green Zone shadow, plus the failures of a bunch of other Universal movies (Land of the Lost, Bruno, Funny People, Duplicity, State of Play, etc.), cost Shmuger and Linde their jobs in October. Their legacy projects — this and the expensive disappointment The Wolfman — are still costing Universal.

“It’s a bit of a disappointment,” Nikki Rocco, the studio’s president of distribution, said of Green Zone. Actually, it’s a bit of a disaster. It’s a smidge of financial calamity. It’s a flop of Universal proportions.

Shmuger and Linde were both big Obama donors; I wonder how they’re coping these days with The One’s escalation in Afghanistan. As for “Green Zone,” the instinctive reaction whenever one of these anti-Iraq agitprop pieces sinks at the box office is to blame its politics, but “The Hurt Locker” was reportedly agnostic about the war and struggled to sell tickets too. Granted, it had no A-lister in the cast like Damon, but it had lots of critical acclaim. Maybe the public simply doesn’t want to see an Iraq movie yet. In fact, now that I think of it, what was the last war movie to do really big business at the B.O.? “Black Hawk Down” broke the $100 million mark domestically, but that was almost 10 years ago. It may be that the anxiety of fighting real wars has left the country momentarily without an appetite for war as spectacle. (Then again, “The Pacific” seems to be doing okay for HBO.) Exit question: When will we finally get a pro-war movie about Iraq so that we have a standard of comparison? Over/under is 2020.

Comments

Universal is screwed. One expensive flop after the next.

John the Libertarian on March 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM

<blockquoteExit question: When will we finally get a pro-war movie about Iraq so that we have a standard of comparison? Over/under is 2020.

2013 is my guess.

AUINSC on March 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Like Ace said, Damon needs to lose his career for this.

silverfox on March 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM

People go to movies to be entertained. They seem to forget this fact.

CWforFreedom on March 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

When everyone starts boycotting Hollywood like I am, maybe, just maybe they’ll get a clue and stop throwing this kind of garbage at us.

Boycott Hollywood Now!!!

Knucklehead on March 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Damon is not a bad actor (Oceans, Bourne). Maybe most movie-goers are saving up for their free healthcare.

BobMbx on March 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

I refuse to ever watch this movie.

Denverslim on March 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

We went to see Alice In Wonderland in 3D today, it was very, very good. I highly recommend seeing this movie if you are going to see it in 3D. It’s worth the extra price for the movie and 3D glasses. I don’t know that I would have enjoyed it as a regular movie….I opted for the 3D option, and was glad I did.

Dr Evil on March 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

If I want 2 hrs of non-stop America bashing I can watch CNN for an evening. I don’t have to spend $12 at the movies.

angryed on March 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

MrX on March 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Did you see The Hurt Locker?

Christien on March 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Check the “Headlines” section. I’d say about/around 4006…November.

Weight of Glory on March 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Yes, but can you put a price on making a smug, baseless point??? For the 900th time??

BigWyo on March 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Universal Studios eh….as in Universal that also owns NBC/MSNBC?

BWA HA HA HA HA HA!!

angryed on March 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

CBS Films bought the rights to Vince Flynn’s novels, we will have to wait and see if Mitch Rapp remains an American hero or turns into a lefty propagandist.

fourdeucer on March 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

When we get an actual Victory. If it is 2020 then so be it.

BetseyRoss on March 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Boycott Hollywood Now!!!

Knucklehead on March 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Knew I liked you for good reason, I’ve been boycotting Hollywood for years…

OmahaConservative on March 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I’m on the boycotting bandwagon!!

Hit ’em where it hurts….the almighty dollar!!!

whatzit2u on March 15, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Best we can get is this for now

William Amos on March 15, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Americans don’t want to see depictions of Sunni tribesmen shooting down helicopters loaded with American soldiers? Well isn’t that odd, maybe this nation really is filled with dopey patriotic types who respect the military.

Bishop on March 15, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I guess Ralph Fiennes isn’t A-list.

Christien on March 15, 2010 at 7:48 PM

MrX on March 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Well for one it was a great action flick, regardless of politics.

But it also showed that the American leadership was clueless (led by one Mr. William J. Clinton) but the grunts were heroic dudes that even when out manned 1000:1 fought the good fight.

angryed on March 15, 2010 at 7:49 PM

People do not want to spend money to have the left tell us how evil we are…we can get that for free on TV every night…

JIMV on March 15, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Matt Damon!

darii on March 15, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I’ll take the over, AP.

But it doesn’t have to be a “pro-war” movie per se. I would just like to see a movie that doesn’t cast the American fighting man and woman or the motivations behind their fight demogogued. As I get ready to deploy to the Afghan theater in 2 months I will not watch any modern war movies. I may revisit John Wayne’s Green Berets before I go though; or Midway with “The President”

alohapundit on March 15, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Matt Damon….seriously overrated.

Green Zone. A movie tramping down America. Seriously stupid.

Hasn’t Obama done enough of that for the past year?

The Hurt Locker, was an exceptional movie, without being political. It delved into the strength, and bravery of troops who volunteer to defuse bombs. It was, and I think will be remembered as a great movie. I have a whole new respect for our troops now. Trashing America, and the job the troops did in Iraq, is wrong. They deserve praise, wheter one agreed with it, or not.

capejasmine on March 15, 2010 at 7:50 PM

The Hurt Locker was a failure in distribution. It never even came to Birmingham, AL on a single screen. People here had to drive 3 hours to Atlanta (hint: People from Birmingham HATE driving to Atlanta) in order to see it.

The limited release of Locker was it’s downfall at the box office, not it\’s content. Green Zone by contrast is playing in 7 theatres on over 15 screens, to empty seats.

Jason Coleman on March 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM

If hollyood doesn’t like war, stop making war movies. America is sick of the garbage coming from the west coast (and I ain’t just talking about the movies).

madmonkphotog on March 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM

HA-HA

/Nelson

expect anything with Matt Damon to have an agenda.

Daemonocracy on March 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

MrX on March 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

How did it make Americans look like idiots?

Denverslim on March 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Could someone explain Black Hawn Down to me? As a Canadian, I have to say that it made Americans look like complete idiots. Did they think they were invincible? What was the point? I’m not a troll. I seriously didn’t understand why anyone in their right mind would release such a horrible representation of the American Armed Forces, and yet Americans seemed to have loved it.”

Does Canada venerate Rorke’s Drift? Sure the Battle of Mogadishu should not have been fought the way it was, but the courage of the men that fought it is worth celebrating and it was a military success, with the additional message that victory can be lost by the politicians. See for example Battle of Tet.

tmitsss on March 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Sorry dont know why but the “!” got cut at the end of that link

Was to history channel’s SHOOTOUT!

William Amos on March 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Between a liberal-controlled government and the general public’s attention span, I don’t expect ANY anti-war movie to do very well in the near future.

Not only are lefties unlikely to patronize such a film when there isn’t an eeevil white man POTUS to blame…people seem to be just plain weary of the entire debate. And who can blame them? All the anti-war protests and elected candidates who loudly promised to end the conflicts have yielded naught in the end except a half-@$$ed ‘war’ effort. You can only do so many angry marches and write so many vitriolic articles before it feels like you’re bashing your head against titanium plate armor.

Dark-Star on March 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Matt Damon is really smart like his fictional Will Hunting character. That’s why it’s so easy for him to know “the truth”. You know, like Gorge Bush lied and people died, and Sarah Palin’s really a dummy.
He thought that all up himself, with no help whatsoever.

ontherocks on March 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

An Anti-Bush, Anti-Iraq, Anti-American film failed miserably? Quell shock.

Had this been released anytime during the Bush Administration, it would have done very well and likely would be up for an Academy Award.

Enoxo on March 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM

fourdeucer on March 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Mitch Rapp…. mmmm, mmmm, mmmm

Who should play him?

conservative pilgrim on March 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Boycott Hollywood Now!!!

Knucklehead on March 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM
Knew I liked you for good reason, I’ve been boycotting Hollywood for years…

OmahaConservative on March 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I’m in!

PatMac on March 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM

GZ’s fatal flaw was no Brian Dennehy.

Christien on March 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Is that a Palestinian kaffiya around Damon’s neck in that photo?

Dead giveaway.

IrishEi on March 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM

angryed on March 15, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Same can be said about our current administration; out manned by 1000:1 but still fighting. Title: Black Barack Down.

Electrongod on March 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Silly thing is, plenty of you same people went and saw Avatar (“Oh wowz pretty picturz”) — which is just as anti-American, only thinly veiled.

jjraines on March 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Maybe people don’t want to see their country trashed as “entertainment”.

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy!

gophergirl on March 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I heard that it just wasn’t as tautly-written and intelligent as Ace Ventura, Pet Detective 2.

Cicero43 on March 15, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Mitch Rapp…. mmmm, mmmm, mmmm

Who should play him?

conservative pilgrim on March 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Some male eye candy for the ladies please :)

gophergirl on March 15, 2010 at 7:56 PM

When did we get We were soldiers? Yeah…. I am thinking about that long for Iraq.

Gatsu on March 15, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Shocker. Even unhinged Lefties do not want to spend money to see movies like that, which seems to be the norm. Even funnier, when they hit the movie stores, they are the only new releases you can easily pick up, though, if one does, you always make sure you have two other movies, one on top and one on bottom, kinda like renting a p0rn movie :)

I actually liked Wolfman. Gotta be a fan of the original for it to resonate.

William Teach on March 15, 2010 at 7:57 PM

There is some truth in that statement. My wife said she isn’t interested in The Hurt Locker because she has had enough of the war for awhile. She’d rather go to the movies to forget the news.

….I opted for the 3D option, and was glad I did.

Dr Evil on March 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

And if you have a chance to see AIW on an IMAX screen, go for it. Truly remarkable. Be forewarned: the movie is BASED on AIW not a true reproduction of the stories.

Mallard T. Drake on March 15, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Knew I liked you for good reason, I’ve been boycotting Hollywood for years…

OmahaConservative on March 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

And I like you too and there are a whole bunch of people waiting for you.

Knucklehead on March 15, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Silly thing is, plenty of you same people went and saw Avatar (”Oh wowz pretty picturz”) — which is just as anti-American, only thinly veiled.

jjraines on March 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Pocahantas with felinoid aliens and 3D eyecandy. Nothing more. How about you go pick holes in a movie that actually deserves it, like Sicko?

Dark-Star on March 15, 2010 at 7:58 PM

what was the last war movie to do really big business at the B.O.?

“300” cost $65 million and did $210 million box office in the US. That was 2006. Does that count?

Steven Den Beste on March 15, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Boycott Hollywood Now!!!

Knucklehead on March 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

I haven’t been able to take Matt Damon seriously since Team America: World Police. Truly, I haven’t watched a movie with him starring since and I can proudly say I’ve NEVAH seen any of the Bourne or Oceans movies.

Yakko77 on March 15, 2010 at 7:58 PM

If you want to watch a fun movie, go ahead and watch Hurt Locker.

Granted I think I spent more time making wisecracks at all the crap that no EOD soldier would ever be allowed to do or get away with…

But it was fun to watch with a group of army and ex-army family members.

(The “Intelligence Analyst” who just happens to be a great shot with someone else’s Barrett .50 Cal sniper rifle at range… and the whole “blood on bullets” thing was hilarious. Seriously, the idea that a little blood would jam a .50 is absurd.

Hell, old cases of .50 cal ammo were packed with pig fat as a sealant/preservatve. (Now granted, the Barrett has tighter tolerances than the ol’ M2, But I can’t concieve that having blood on a round would do anything…chunks of bone in the mag, sure, but not a little blood.)

Jones Zemkophill on March 15, 2010 at 7:58 PM

The problem was that Obama didn’t use some of his stash to pay for theater tickets for the natural audience for this kind of crap.

Cicero43 on March 15, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Some male eye candy for the ladies please :)

gophergirl on March 15, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Absolutely!

conservative pilgrim on March 15, 2010 at 7:59 PM

If the public stops watching their movies…maybe they’ll keep their mouths shut. If I pay for a ticket, I want to watch them act…I don’t want to know their political views.

yoda on March 15, 2010 at 8:01 PM

So, what is Hollywood batting on Iraq so far, 0 for 10?

logis on March 15, 2010 at 8:01 PM

jjraines on March 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM

not me

angryed on March 15, 2010 at 8:01 PM

We Were Soldiers did pretty well and that was from 2002.

Bravesbill on March 15, 2010 at 8:03 PM

matt damon!

DrW on March 15, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I’ll try to cheer them up.

Circa 2012:

Just about three years ago I set out on Obama’s Afghanistan road,
Seekin’ my fame and glory, lookin’ to turn the POS mullah’s hemorrhoid into a pot of gold.
Well, things got bad, and things got worse, I guess you will know the tune.
Oh ! lord, stuck in Obama’s Afghanistan yet again.

Flew in yet again on a big plane, I hope I’ll be in one piece flyin out when I go.
I was yet again just passin’ through, must now be yet another 3 tours or more.
Running out of time and patience [
“Not to complain but whatever the hell happened to my youth?!”], looks like they took still more of my friends.
Oh ! lord, Im stuck in Obama’s Afghanistan yet again.

The Hope and Change man in the White House said yet again I was on my way.
Somewhere I lost his connection, he ran out of words to say.
I came into Kabul, yet another one year stand, looks like the plans fell through yet again
Oh ! lord, stuck in Obama’s Afghanistan yet again.

Mmmm…
If I only had a woman [“Hey Jack, do you remember what a woman is?”], for evry Obama tour Ive done.
And evry time Ive had to fight while war-monger Obama sat back home confused and power drunk.
You know, Id like to catch the next plane back to where Im from.
Oh ! lord, Im stuck in Obama’s Afghanistan yet again.
Oh ! lord, Im stuck in Obama’s Afghanistan yet again.

– CCR Soldier Boy

MB4 on March 15, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Universal Studios — Proud Purveyor of “Hate America”

Nice marketing niche.

Cicero43 on March 15, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Asked and answered. Only a typical antiAmerican Canadian moron would come away thinking the men in BHD were idiots. And, hey, here’s a thought, why don’t you get off your lazy America hating ass and read some history on the event?

kit9 on March 15, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Who should play him?

conservative pilgrim on March 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Jim Cavezel would do fine.

fourdeucer on March 15, 2010 at 8:07 PM

How ya like them apples?

Scrappy on March 15, 2010 at 8:07 PM

So, what is Hollywood batting on Iraq so far, 0 for 10?

logis on March 15, 2010 at 8:01 PM

More like O for 40, if you count the smaller stuff.

And regarding war movies that do well — there are plenty — Tears of the Sun, 300, etc.

Unfortunately most in Hollywood can’t get themselves to paint the U.S., the West, our soldiers, or our principles in a positive light…

jjraines on March 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I just don’t go to movies…

I was going to see Avatar a couple of weeks ago. I knew what I was in for, I just wanted to see a 3D IMAX movie.

My wife and I went to the mall and while in line discovered that it would cost about $40 for two tickets.

I thought that sounded ridiculous, but we stayed in line.

It was sold out.

BTW – Matt Damon is retarded.

Dorvillian on March 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM

O/T

RIP, Peter Graves

Christien on March 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I think the deal is that the public doesn’t trust Hollywood with an Iraq war movie.

The movie Blackhawk Down was based on Mark Bowden’s book, which every Army guy or gal I’ve ever known, and most of the Navy and Marine Corps folks too, have read. Good buzz on the translation to film was all that one needed to do well at the box office; moviegoers had an idea what they were getting.

With Iraq war movies, Hollywood has a string of pokes in the eye with a sharp stick to overcome. Plenty of Americans think we’ve made various mistakes in Iraq, but Hollywood’s characterization of the war’s politics doesn’t resonate with very many. Who wants to go see yet another thinly-disguised Dick Cheney or fictional Dick cheney henchman having a psycho meltdown, or see yet another combat unit portrayed as abused, betrayed, and abandoned by America’s leaders, while simultaneously having been brainwashed into thinking armed force is a valid mission at all, when of course we’d call that a Neanderthal perspective if we were vilely racist about Neanderthals, which only someone like Dick Cheney is?

“Bush lied, everybody died!!!!!”

Don’t need to see any more movies riffing on that theme.

J.E. Dyer on March 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Maybe the public simply doesn’t want to see an Iraq movie yet.

Personally I’m waiting for the movie about the U.S. A-Bombing Mecca and Medea or Israel A-Bombing Mahmoud’s Nuclear Facilities.

MB4 on March 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Knucklehead on March 15, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I deleted my facebook account some time ago, otherwise I would join.

OmahaConservative on March 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Maybe the public simply doesn’t want to see an Iraq movie yet.

I want to see a movie about the 101st Airborne dragging Herr Obama from the White House!

MB4 on March 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM

How did it make Americans look like idiots?

Denverslim on March 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

No AC-130 gunships, no air strikes ready, no field artillery or 120mm mortars ready for support, no tanks, or APC’s ready, the exact same tactical assault plan used again and again. Guess they assumed the Somali’s would never learn. They assumed wrong. They didn’t alert the allied units like the Pakistani’s or the Malaysian’s, and they had no go-to-hell plan.

Constantly going back for corpses and getting live soldiers killed to get them out, which failed eventually as they couldn’t get them out, and leaving a live POW in the hands of the Somali’s.

Yeah, mistakes were made.

sharrukin on March 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Matt Damon’s imdb Starmeter is “Down 44% in popularity this week.”

H.e.h.

Christien on March 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM

No one is willing to spend $10 to sit in a dark room and be told that they are fools.

kurtzz3 on March 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM

jjraines on March 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM

These is a big difference, fool, between the standard liberal hate-America tripe (which we live with every day in the MSM) and a blatant attempt to rewrite recent history through lies and distortions.

Rod on March 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM

over

BKeyser on March 15, 2010 at 8:15 PM

BTW – Matt Damon is retarded.

Dorvillian on March 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM

If a man is a moron, you don’t train him out of being a moron by sending him to Hollywood. You merely turn him into a Hollywood trained moron, a thousand times more dangerous.

MB4 on March 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Let them know why they’re not getting your money. :)

malclave on March 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM

But we didn’t say “Oh wowz pretty picturz”, that was you.

Bishop on March 15, 2010 at 8:17 PM

I think after the hard right turn in in November 2012.

BTW, what’s the deal with the 9/11 TV movie that was show once and then down the memory hole?

Bruno Strozek on March 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM

How did it make Americans look like idiots?

Denverslim on March 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Yeah, mistakes were made.

sharrukin on March 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I believe the movie mentions wanting air support but it was denied them by higher authority. Also, the tactics of using helos to get troopers on target made sense (quick and mobile) for the nighttime ops they usually did but the target in question was available during the daytime and they opted for it… overconfidence perhaps but hindsight is always 20/20. The book by Mark Bowden goes into great detail. It’s been years since I read it but it was a worthwhile read as I recall.

Yakko77 on March 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM

You know people go to the movies to be entertained, not to be preached at. You can only put so much ‘message’, (even one you agree with) into a movie before it becomes unwatchable.

sharrukin on March 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I really appreciated Kyle Smith taking this crap apart.

JammieWearingFool on March 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Yakko77 on March 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Yeah, Clinton had a lot to do with why it went south, that much is certain.

sharrukin on March 15, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Hmmmm…..

I think Patriotic Americans need to pool their money, and start a John Wayne Memorial Movie Studio.

A studio that ONLY does Patriotic pictures. Movies that are ONLY Pro American.

Bet that studio would have a built in audience.

Romeo13 on March 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Yakko77 on March 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM

The extraction force was using unarmored, or lightly armored vehicles and in an urban zone that can be stopped rather easily. Piling tires and junk in the road for example.

sharrukin on March 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM

[Black Hawk Down] was a great action flick, regardless of politics.

angryed on March 15, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Black Hawk Down didn’t say a word about the REMF’s who caused the disaster.

That just shows you how desperate American moviegoers are. For me, it was like watching a movie about a guy who had his hand shoved into a spinning garbage disposal. Sure, that poor fellow may have been tough – even heroic.

But all the way through the movie, I kept thinking: I don’t want to see that; I want to see what CAUSED this fiasco in the first place. There wouldn’t have been any need to resort to postulating division-sized secret cabals and “magic notebooks.” Clinton personally commited multiple acts of malfeasance, ranging from gross incompetence to out-and-out intentional undermining of the troops.

But there wasn’t one word about that: Not. One. Word.

Now these movies coming out about Iraq are pretty much exactly the opposite: The moonbats use American soldiers as a backdrop for the their Bush-bashing agitprop campaign. As it turns out, hundreds of millions of dollars in special effects and the best actors in the world can’t sell their snake oil.

logis on March 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Maybe the public simply doesn’t want to see an Iraq movie yet.

Nonsense. They’ve simply been given no choice of what type to see. It’s all been nihilism and self-loathing. There are hundreds of inspiring stories not been told, both about the war and related to the war. No commitment from Hollywood to do anything differently, that’s all. It’s the catechism: Iraq is bad, Iraq is Vietnam in the desert, etc.

rrpjr on March 15, 2010 at 8:28 PM

MB4 on March 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM

MB4 on March 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Guaranteed box office hits!

tbear44 on March 15, 2010 at 8:29 PM

MB4 on March 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM

They would be honoring the oath they took!

daesleeper on March 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Most people just want to see something authentic. It does not have to be “pro war”. To paraphrase Patton: Americans don’t mind fighting but they very much mind losing. Most Americans by nature and character love and respect their military and will not submit themselves to pay and see a film that makes them feel ashamed of them or our country. There are many, many interesting, meaningful stories to tell about Iraq and Afghanistan, but libtards only want to make films that further an anti American agenda.

muggedbyreality on March 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Boycott Hollywood Now!!!

Knucklehead on March 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Pretty much have been… I don’t waste money on crappy movies.

MeatHeadinCA on March 15, 2010 at 8:37 PM

CBS Films bought the rights to Vince Flynn’s novels…

I’d definitely pay money to see those. And, yes, some eye candy playing Mitch Rapp would be an added bonus for us ladies.

Meezles on March 15, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Hollywood has become a propaganda mill for the far left. Most of their production paints the US military and corporations as evil doers. I suggest boycotting their propaganda and supporting the few pro-American films (like Hurt Locker) that make their way on screen. I particularly support boycotting Matt Damon and George Clooney, two of the most egregious anti-American hate mongers (along with the usual suspects such as the communist and idiot Sean Penn.)

NNtrancer on March 15, 2010 at 8:38 PM

When John Wayne walks the earth again…..?

ted c on March 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Actors like Mr. Damon sound smart when they read other people’s words off a script. They should stick to that formula.
Studios should learn from their previous box-office mistakes. It should be quite apparent by now that USA-bashing movies don’t make money. Their friends in the insulated coastal enclaves that they play to with these dreadful films don’t buy enough tickets to pay the janitor, never mind the high-priced talent. Given that movies like “Alice in Wonderland” do very well, there should be no doubt among studio execs how to cash in. Yet they appear to be as tone-deaf as a San Francisco politician.
I think that Hollywood should no longer be considered an industry. A real industry would’ve eliminated the execs responsible for disastrous performances like “Green Zone” and changed direction long ago.

n0doz on March 15, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I refused to see Avatar, because I’ve seen Aliens, and I’ve seen Fern Gully.

I didn’t need to see Aliens meets Fern Gully.

As for Blackhawk Down…(PHENOMINAL MOVIE)

The Minstrel Boy

The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone
In the ranks of death you will find him;
His father’s sword he hath girded on,
And his wild harp slung behind him;”
Land of Song!” said the warrior bard,
“Tho’ all the world betrays thee,
One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
One faithful harp shall praise thee!”

The Minstrel fell! But the foeman’s chain
Could not bring that proud soul under;
The harp he lov’d ne’er spoke again,
For he tore its chords asunder;
And said “No chains shall sully thee,
Thou soul of love and brav’ry!
Thy songs were made for the pure and free,
They shall never sound in slavery!”

The movie exemplifies a situation where a political dolt (Clinton) put soldiers into an untenable situation, and rather than get wiped out when everything went wrong, the troops on the ground adapted and overcame the overwhelming numbers.

It’s an example of a “Last Stand” where the heroes survive. (ala The Battle of Rorke’s Drift, The Battle of Gettysburg (Little Roundtop), the Battle of Leyte Gulf, The Battle of Henderson Field, the Battle of Bastogne, etc.

Situations where a force of honorable men are outnumbered in drastic fashion, and through Luck, force of will, and tactics, are able to bring about a sucessful end to their “so-called last stand”.

Jones Zemkophill on March 15, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Never have liked Matt Damon.

I’m glad his $230 million-dollar, anti-American movie is failing. In fact, I hope its losses are unprecedented.

AZCoyote on March 15, 2010 at 8:44 PM