Rasmussen: People still oppose ObamaCare

posted at 2:55 pm on March 15, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Think of it as a good news/bad news update from Rasmussen today.  The good news?  ObamaCare still has double-digit opposition among likely voters in their latest survey.  However, those numbers have shrunk a bit over the last month:

Democrats in Congress are vowing to pass their national health care plan with a vote in the House possible by the end of this week. But most voters still oppose the plan the same way they have for months.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 43% favor the health care plan proposed by President Obama and congressional Democrats, while 53% oppose it. Those findings include 23% who Strongly Favor the plan and 46% who Strongly Oppose it.

The numbers are virtually unchanged from last week and are consistent with findings in regularly tracking going back to just after Thanksgiving.

That’s not quite true.  At one point, Rasmussen had ObamaCare down as much as 18 points, in two successive January polls that predated the election of Scott Brown in Massachusetts, and 19 points in early February just after it.  It’s also been as low as eight points just three weeks ago, when it hit its highest support level (44%) since mid-November’s 47%.

Besides that volatility, though, the currents are still mainly the same.  Only Democrats support this bill (75%), while Republicans (84%) and independents (58%) oppose it.  Majorities of both genders oppose it (55% men, 51% women), with half of all men and 42% of all women strongly opposing it.  Only the youngest voters support it (55/42), and only the lowest income level (55/36), although it’s an even split for $60-75K earners at 48%.

Why does opposition remain fairly constant?  Voters aren’t buying the Democratic sales pitch.  A majority (52%) believe health-care quality will decline with ObamaCare; only 24% think it will improve.  Fifty-five percent believe that costs will go up because of the government takeover, while only 18% believe Barack Obama when he argues that costs will decrease.

Given those internals, it is difficult to see how Obama and his allies on Capitol Hill can close the gap any more than the ten-point deficit they have at the moment.  If that was a rebound, it’s safe to say it’s peaked.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why is it when we oppose socialism do lib’s feel the need to label us in a negative fashion?

OmahaConservative on March 15, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Obviously their ideas are awesomely awesome and no sane person can oppose them. There must be another explanation; therefore, you must be racist.

I sent out the NY Times picture of Obama to a couple of co-workers today. Through the automatice e-mail address fill-in feature, I sent the e-mail to one of my African-American employees. While I NEVER criticize this President on racists grounds, just his policies and ideas, I was scared this morning I was going to have the racism charge thrown into my face. It has been four hours, no response (whew).

WashJeff on March 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Sense Nov 2009 a av.of 54% have oppose the bill and a av. of 41% have been in favor of it .These numbers change very little each week.They may go up a point or 2 or down a point or 2 but very little change no mater what Obama or the Dems say or do.

thmcbb on March 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM

File extensions.

Key West Reader on March 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM
Note: ‘extension to file’ is not an ‘extension to pay’, nor does it delay liability for taxes. While those extensions are accumulating, so are interest and penalties. What you’re describing doesn’t make it go away – it delays it a bit, and makes it bigger.

Midas on March 15, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I know you are right, but I am just so incredibly frustrated at having to fund this government that does not represent most of us. What else can you do?

Key West Reader on March 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Another Fainting at Rally…

OmahaConservative on March 15, 2010 at 3:02 PM

How soon before the chicks start whippin’ their unmentionables up on stage?

BobMbx on March 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM

File extensions.

Key West Reader on March 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Unless you’re self-employed, this is impossible. The Treasury already has your money. They take it out of every paycheck.

All you’re doing is a) funding the government even longer by delaying your refund (if so entitled), and b) committing a crime. See “Capone vs. United States”

BobMbx on March 15, 2010 at 4:23 PM

WashJeff on March 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I live in a gentrified and progressive neighborhood with all sorts of liberal nonsense bumper stickers and signs. I am routinely considered an eccentric nut-case ever since I started flying the flag and put out the Ten Commandments in my front yard.

OmahaConservative on March 15, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I heard an audio clip on Michael Medved that Obama said insurance premiums will drop by 3000% once the health care bill is law. If that’s true I know the Quote of the Day is all wrapped up for the month! One thing is certain, he doesn’t do math.

DanMan on March 15, 2010 at 4:48 PM

DanMan on March 15, 2010 at 4:48 PM.

Obama probably meant to say that annual premiums would go down $3000…which is still BS.

Annual premiums for a family probably average around $14,000. So $3,000 would be in line for a stupid political remark like that.

WashJeff on March 15, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Please tell me where this photo is from?? It looks like Obama is doing a “booty dance” or something. I can almost hear him saaying, “get down!” Thanks!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 15, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Naw–He’s saying “Watch me pull a wabbit out of my a$$ hat!”

chickasaw42 on March 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM

OmahaConservative on March 15, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I wonder what my neighbors thought when I put a wooden frame with my husband’s Wranglers and cowboy boots in a snowbank in our front yard? ( :

yoda on March 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM