Another billboard mystery in Minnesota?

posted at 11:36 am on March 15, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Somehow, I think people will miss this man more than the one featured in the “Miss Me Yet?” billboard that appeared outside the Twin Cities in Minnesota last month.  Another anonymous advertisement has appeared on the roadside of a major interstate freeway in the outer-ring suburbs of the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolis area, on I-94 just outside of Albertville on the way from St. Cloud to Minneapolis.  This ad recalls a President that never got his due in Minnesota:

Who paid for this ad?  There are no indications on the sign itself, just as with the previous “Miss Me Yet?” sign with George W. Bush.  Ronald Reagan never won Minnesota in either of his two national elections, but clearly someone recalls him fondly.  It’s not cheap to pay for this kind of advertising, and it would be interesting to discover who’s behind this one.

Update: This is not a photoshop.  I contacted Franklin Outdoor Advertising, who confirmed that they have this sign up at I-94.  It was funded by a private effort, but the person to whom I spoke did not know who specifically that includes.

Update II: Also, just for some background, the “Miss Me Yet?” billboard was purchased through one of Franklin’s competitors.

Update III: Not sure why people are still insisting that this is a photoshop, but maybe King Banaian’s eyewitness account will help:

Ed posts about a sign on I-94. I saw it for the first time on Saturday morning as I drove to the Twin Cities for meetings and eventually the MOB party. …  It gets very good visibility after you come out from under the Albertville overpass on the road traveling east. I did not realize how fresh the sign was, but Saturday was the first time I saw it.

King also recalls Reagan’s speech at Westminster in 1982.  Be sure to read it.

Update IV: Local alt paper City Pages picks up the story, and gives proper credit back to Hot Air.  Hart Van Denburg also gets confirmation from Franklin.

Update V: CBS News’ Brian Montopoli picks up the story as well:

A billboard has appeared in Minnesota featuring a photograph of former President Ronald Reagan and the words, “Remember real hope and change?”

The billboard, first reported by Ed Morrissey at the blog Hot Air, is reminiscent of the “Miss Me Yet?” billboard that appeared in Minnesota last month.

The CBS folks believe that the photo I used has been retouched in some way, although it looks more like the process of converting it to JPG format has created some irregularities.  CBS also confirmed that the billboard exists with Franklin’s owner, Keith Franklin.   I’ll ask friends in the area to take a fresh picture of it and send the raw file back to me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Over the weekend, my favorite oldies station became “Reagan Radio”. They played all of Reagan’s speeches. No kidding.

Matticus Finch on March 15, 2010 at 1:06 PM

This billboard isn’t too far from my house.

Bishop on March 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM

And it is no photoshop. I can take pic or two myself if necessary.

Bishop on March 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I don’t understand why some Republican could not copy the Gipper’s complete agenda of tax cuts, controlling spending and the size of government and a strong national defense. It worked then and it would still work today.

I’ve voted for every Republican presidential candidate since 1988 and I have been disappointed in all of them, largely because they wouldn’t embrace the sensible agenda of the Gipper. (shaking my head in sadness).

Is there no Man on Horseback who could come forth and save our republic?

Old Fritz on March 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I’d bet a paycheck it’s photoshopped.
rightside on March 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Ooooooh…..if only I’d been on this thread sooner.

Bishop on March 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Its amazing how just Reagan’s smile gives me hope while Obama’s makes me feel dirty.

alecj on March 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM

***
President Ronald Reagan’s clone is already on the political scene.
***
Can you say President Palin? Coming to a Socialist country near you–in 2012.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on March 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Any update on the “Sarah Palin for President 2012″ sign in San Carlos, CA?

Sapwolf on March 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Excellent. January 20th, 1981 was one of the greatest days in American history.

Ward Cleaver on March 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM

People probably think it’s a photoshop because the white and yellow text look like something a p-shopper would do.

clearbluesky on March 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM

OK, I retract my previous claim that this is photo-shopped based on camera pixel noise alone.
It appears that the picture was compressed with a low level threshold that cutout any noise in the blacks.

Electrongod on March 15, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Old Fritz on March 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Forget “could”: I don’t understand why some Republican will not. The time is right, and Sarah Palin is trying her hardest, but it’s not enough. The only thing that may be happening is that Obama is pushing everyone so far to the right that another Reagan may have to emerge out of (a) population and (b) necessity. I certainly hope so. But I think it needs to happen really, really soon.

WesternActor on March 15, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Hope this spawns a lot of copycats around the country.

Extrafishy on March 15, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Ooooooh…..if only I’d been on this thread sooner.

Bishop on March 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Don’t be silly, I’d only bet obamadollars.

rightside on March 15, 2010 at 1:56 PM

This billboard isn’t too far from my house.

Bishop on March 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Is this after the exit for the outlet or before? I want to go find it.

Thanks!

gophergirl on March 15, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Wow, I want that on a bumper sticker, as is. NOW.

Ward Cleaver on March 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Is there no Man Woman on Horseback a snowmachine who could come forth and save our republic?

Old Fritz on March 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

There, with better directions you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for. Not today, but trust me, by the time November 2012 comes around even Barney Frank will be voting for her. Obama is that bad, and we will be in that much trouble. I think that if we survive, our decendents will refer to this time as the Refounding.

WesternActor on March 15, 2010 at 1:33 PM

When I imagine putting together the energy and enthusiasm that I witnessed volunteering for Brown (and now for Jeff Perry) and a Sarah Palin presidential bid I can definitely see it coming to fruition. You have to stop listening to the naysayers that have a vested interest in seeing Obama succeed.

Excellent. January 20th, 1981 was one of the greatest days in American history.

Ward Cleaver on March 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I was in DC that day (marched in the inaugural day parade – tuba player!) and you are right – it was a day that I remember like it was yesterday thirty years later.

turfmann on March 15, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Glenn speaks of the virtues of Faith, Hope and Charity.

I call the politics of Obama fake hope and clarity. : ))

Angry Dumbo on March 15, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Frankly, Reagan would not pass a Tea Party smell test today because of his record of running up deficits and raising taxes.

lexhamfox on March 15, 2010 at 2:44 PM

If and when we take back control of this Great Nation,we should start on the addition to Mt.Rushmore!!!

nukeemnow on March 15, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I’m sorry, but Sarah Palin doesn’t do it for me. I like her and like some of the things that she says, but I don’t think that she is qualified to be the president.

Now Liz Chaney, on the otherhand…that might be interesting. She has the toughness and the smarts that Sarah lacks. I could vote for Liz. I’d like to see her debate Obama.

Sarah is more akin to John the Baptist, the prophet. I am still waiting for the next conservative messiah.

Old Fritz on March 15, 2010 at 3:36 PM

King also recalls Reagan’s speech at Westminster in 1982. Be sure to read it.

Just read the whole speech here Well worth your time.

Dave in San Diego on March 15, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Ed, I’m guessing folks thought is was PS because the photo is so clear and the billboard pops out of the picture.

Good job to whoever took the photo. They know their business. It also looks very clean and fresh, so I’m guessing the billboard hasn’t been up to long and that goes towards folks thinking it’s PS.

jcw46 on March 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Excellent. January 20th, 1981 was one of the greatest days in American history.

Ward Cleaver on March 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I was at his inauguration that day near the Capitol steps as he was sworn in and on the Mall when they announced the hostages were freed. Had no idea at the time what a great day in history it turned out to be.

txmomof6 on March 15, 2010 at 5:35 PM

What a MAN! I love that pic.

immigrantchick on March 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I came to America when he was President. Everything seemed to be better then. I was a little girl and he was my hero, he was also my dad’s hero. I love him and I miss him terribly. He even looked Presidential and so manly. Where are the manly men now-a-days. Men today in Hollywood and politics, except for a few, look and act like prima donas, wimps and metro-sexuals.

immigrantchick on March 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM

True hope and change, no Marxism involved.

tarpon on March 15, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Ronald Reagan, 1980:

More than anything else, I want my candidacy to unify our country; to renew the American spirit and sense of purpose. I want to carry our message to every American, regardless of party affiliation, who is a member of this community of shared values.

Never before in our history have Americans been called upon to face three grave threats to our very existence, any one of which could destroy us. We face a disintegrating economy, a weakened defense and an energy policy based on the sharing of scarcity.

The major issue of this campaign is the direct political, personal and moral responsibility of Democratic Party leadership — in the White House and in Congress — for this unprecedented calamity which has befallen us. They tell us they have done the most that humanly could be done. They say that the United States has had its day in the sun; that our nation has passed its zenith. They expect you to tell your children that the American people no longer have the will to cope with their problems; that the future will be one of sacrifice and few opportunities.

My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view. The American people, the most generous on earth, who created the highest standard of living, are not going to accept the notion that we can only make a better world for others by moving backwards ourselves. Those who believe we can have no business leading the nation.

I will not stand by and watch this great country destroy itself under mediocre leadership that drifts from one crisis to the next, eroding our national will and purpose. We have come together here because the American people deserve better from those to whom they entrust our nation’s highest offices, and we stand united in our resolve to do something about it. …

“Trust me” government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what’s best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs — in the people. The responsibility to live up to that trust is where it belongs, in their elected leaders. …

I will not accept the excuse that the federal government has grown so big and powerful that it is beyond the control of any president, any administration or Congress. We are going to put an end to the notion that the American taxpayer exists to fund the federal government. The federal government exists to serve the American people. On January 20th, we are going to re-establish that truth.It is time to put America back to work; to make our cities and towns resound with the confident voices of men and women of all races, nationalities and faiths bringing home to their families a decent paycheck they can cash for honest money. …

For those who have abandoned hope, we’ll restore hope and we’ll welcome them into a great national crusade to make America great again.

Noel on March 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I stood in line with my friend (now wife) for 6 hours to view his casket on the Lincoln Catafalque. Incredibly moving.

It was a long line on the Mall at night. Surrounded by a glow of fellowship with true Americans, sharing warm memories of President Reagan.

We Americans are his heirs. Our actions today and tomorrow can show the blood has not run thin.

NaCly dog on March 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Reagan was our last real president.

I miss him, he was a good and decent man.

right4life on March 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Reagan was our last real president.

I miss him, he was a good and decent man.

right4life on March 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I couldn’t agree more. Ronald Reagan I miss. The Bushes, not so much.

bw222 on March 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Yet when Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney and Eric Cantor met with Republicans at a Beltway pizzeria, Jeb Bush said, “It’s time to move past Reagan.” I’d prefer to move beyond the Bush family.

bw222 on March 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Wow, I want that on a bumper sticker, as is. NOW.

Ward Cleaver on March 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM

+1, and I’m quite sure thousands would as well.

M-14 2go on March 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Remember that the same people who called Regan a lightweight idiot and “unqualified to be President” (Democrats, the media and RINOs) are the same ones smearing Sarah Palin.

bw222 on March 15, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Noel on March 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Thankyou. Great words spoken by a great man, and they ring so true today as well. This CarterII (or is it Carter squared?) deja vu is killing us all over again.

2ipa on March 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Ronald Reagan never won Minnesota in either of his two national elections,

WOW! and i thought pa was bad…

SHARPTOOTH

WRONG! He won Minnesota against Mondale, but the Republicans chose not to challenge the obvious voter shenanigans and irregularities, allowing Mondale to save face by not “losing” his home state.

honsy on March 15, 2010 at 8:51 PM

This one looks just as authentic. I bet this is really how the billboard looks.

Daggett on March 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Man, I would vote for President Reagan in a heartbeat. He would kick this current clueless poseur in the nuts!

jgdp on March 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Wow, I want that on a bumper sticker, as is. NOW.

Ward Cleaver on March 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM

You’ll need a bigger car to properly display it.

unclesmrgol on March 15, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Goodnight Ronald Reagan, wherever you are!

Rightwingguy on March 15, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Great billboard…made me LOL…in a good way of course. President Reagan was the first national candidate I ever voted for.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 15, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Wow, I want that on a bumper sticker, as is. NOW.

Ward Cleaver on March 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM

+1, and I’m quite sure thousands would as well.

M-14 2go on March 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM

here

Ronnie on March 16, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Is there no Man on Horseback who could come forth and save our republic?
Old Fritz on March 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Yeah, SHE will be riding a moose!! Go Sarah!

KCinLV on March 16, 2010 at 3:48 AM

“When the student is ready the teacher appears.”

sclemens on March 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Ronald Reagan is the only President of whom I have video clips saved on my computer. In my opinion, he was the only great President since Lincoln. His actions changed the world without a shot being fired. Though subsequent Presidents were too weak to use the opportunity he provided to move the world in a more positive direction.

Hawthorne on March 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM