Scenes from the happy MOB

posted at 4:00 pm on March 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

When the NARN began the first-ever blogger radio show six years ago, Mitch Berg organized regular social events for bloggers in the Twin Cities, which we call the MOB — the Minnesota Organization of Bloggers. The events are open to bloggers of any stripe, or blog readers, without any restrictions on politics. It’s a social event where political talk is more or less discouraged in favor of fellowship, and it gives us a camaraderie in the local blogosphere that I believe is rather unique.

Last night, we held our first night out in 2010, and this time I brought the camera to Ol’ Mexico in Roseville, which turned out to be a great venue for the event. I’ve uploaded the images to a new Flickr account and have a few in this slideshow. Hope you enjoy!

By the way, I’d be remiss if I forgot to mention that the cigars in the one photo came courtesy of Val Prieto of BabaluBlog. They’re made by free Cubans here in the US, and we found them delicious in every way. That picture was taken by the First Mate, who may be the world’s best blind photographer.

Comments

Nice. Thanks for posting, Ed.

OmahaConservative on March 14, 2010 at 4:08 PM

“whiskey for my men, beer for my horses”.

Electrongod on March 14, 2010 at 4:10 PM

It sure looks like Mitch was having a great time! LOL

whbates on March 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Very cool, Ed.

bernzright777 on March 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM

You all look like you had fun.

I’m impressed with your wife Ed. Wow! She took a fantastic picture. :)

capejasmine on March 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Just as long as there were no “tickle fights”…

Seven Percent Solution on March 14, 2010 at 4:14 PM

great high school hockey in roseville….just say’n.

jbh45 on March 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM

“whiskey for my men, beer for my horses”.

Electrongod on March 14, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Made me chuckle.

Not much like the latte sipping “Coffee Party” wussies.

Good pics.

davidk on March 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Brothers of the Leaf…!!!

EXCELLENT!!!

As someone who dines in Houston, I envy you the venue where the nannie state allows you to smoke….

Ragspierre on March 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Looks like fun…thanks Ed!!!

yoda on March 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Ed, you have a wonderful First Mate! Prayers for her continued health. I might add, your health also.
L

letget on March 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Wow.
Flatscreens.
Classy.

jay12 on March 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Ed, get your MOB out here (to DC) and the “ceegars are on me”!!

Khun Joe on March 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Ragspierre on March 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM

That sux huh? I live just north of you in Conroe and they just put a stop to indoor smoking in all bars and restaurants here too. But on the bright side I quit on New Years, so it doesn’t piss me off now like it did. I was in St. Paul a few months ago and you couldn’t there either. Did you see any photos with them actually lit up inside?

conservnut on March 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Did you see any photos with them actually lit up inside?

Well, in the pic, the sticks are ashed…so I assume they were at least lit at one point…

Send a message to hindenblog1@gmail.com, and I’ll see you are invited to our next Powder and Smoke Cigar Crawl, held here in Houston. Shooting and cigars…hoorah!!!

Ragspierre on March 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I saw 5 people in the picture and the tag of MOB and assumed it was a coffee party meeting in full swing.

Corsair on March 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM

We were outside while smoking the cigars … and it was about 35 degrees out at that time, too.

Ed Morrissey on March 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM

The Sopranos — The Minnesota Nice version

ignorantapathy on March 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM

YOU CIGAR SMOKIN SONUFABITCH!

I LOVE IT!

/drunkbaltantlu

blatantblue on March 14, 2010 at 5:43 PM

you cigar smokin son of a gun

i love it

blatantblue on March 14, 2010 at 5:49 PM

i cant wait til its warmer so i can get drunk as all hell and smoke cigars at the beach
and drink more

and make a fool of myself in front of some cute girl in a bikini

blatantblue on March 14, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Hey, I’m a blog reader. I should’ve gone if for no other reason than I’d be one of the few non-bald dudes in the room :p

Hollowpoint on March 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM

i wonder if AP smokes cigars

blatantblue on March 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Who left the gate open at the assisted living center?

Boxy_Brown on March 14, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Ed Morrissey on March 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Fortunately, it looks like most of the company was wearing its “winter finish”, as we say in the livestock industry…

Still, it is absolutely uncivilized that adults should be huddled outside to enjoy adult things. Well, several adult things…

Ragspierre on March 14, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Ed:
I’m sure I’m not alone when I say thanks for working on Sunday.
You are a true professional.

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 6:18 PM

that picture says
HEYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

blatantblue on March 14, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Real midwestern Americans having a seriously good time. Totally refreshing and a great way to end my weekend, Ed!

–From a real midwestern American woman who loves Saturday nights. ;)

Grace_is_sufficient on March 14, 2010 at 6:45 PM

So I guess someday unemployed Americans will be able to sit with their Made in China laptops while riding in Made in China high speed trains.

“BEIJING (AP) — China plans to bid for contracts to build U.S. high-speed train lines and is stepping up exports of rail technology to Europe and Latin America, a government official said Saturday.

China has built 4,000 miles (6,500 kilometers) of high-speed rail for its own train system and President Barack Obama issued a pledge in November with his Chinese counterpart, Hu Jintao, to cooperate in developing the technology.

“We are organizing relevant companies to participate in bidding for U.S. high-speed railways,” Wang Zhiguo, a deputy railways minister, told a news conference.

Wang gave no details of where China’s railway builders might seek contracts, but systems are planned in California, Florida and Illinois. He said state-owned Chinese companies already are building high-speed lines in Turkey and Venezuela.”

MB4 on March 14, 2010 at 6:46 PM

OT:
ACORN must have given Anninacan the day off.

Chewy the Lab on March 14, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Ed Morrissey on March 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Only 35 degrees? Don’t you know that you are suppose to measure the temperature near an artificial heat source, like near a heat vent. You will never get a grant.

MB4 on March 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Had a gig last night, Ed. Sorry I couldn’t hang with you guys. But then again, can I really?

See you at the next one.

princetrumpet on March 14, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Ragspierre on March 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM

No indoor smoking in Md or PA so we are in the same boat; when we have an event (CigarsAndRoses.com) we eat indoors and then ‘retire to the veranda’

Red State State of Mind on March 14, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Ragspierre on March 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM

For the Crawl, we go to the most cigar-friendly venues we can find…usually eateries with patios. Sucks to be banished, but that’s life in the nannie state…

Ragspierre on March 14, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Social Security to start cashing Uncle Sam’s IOUs
March 14, 2010

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. (AP) – The retirement nest egg of an entire generation is stashed away in this small town along the Ohio River: $2.5 trillion in IOUs from the federal government, payable to the Social Security Administration.

It’s time to start cashing them in.

For more than two decades, Social Security collected more money in payroll taxes than it paid out in benefits _ billions more each year.

Not anymore. This year, for the first time since the 1980s, when Congress last overhauled Social Security, the retirement program is projected to pay out more in benefits than it collects in taxes _ nearly $29 billion more.

Sounds like a good time to start tapping the nest egg. Too bad the federal government already spent that money over the years on other programs, preferring to borrow from Social Security rather than foreign creditors. In return, the Treasury Department issued a stack of IOUs _ in the form of Treasury bonds _ which are kept in a nondescript office building just down the street from Parkersburg’s municipal offices.

Now the government will have to borrow even more money, much of it abroad, to start paying back the IOUs, and the timing couldn’t be worse. The government is projected to post a record $1.5 trillion budget deficit this year, followed by trillion dollar deficits for years to come.

“Those bonds are protected by the full faith and credit of the United States of America,” Kennelly said. “They’re as solid as what we owe China and Japan.”

MB4 on March 14, 2010 at 7:20 PM

See this photo of Obama to prove the New York Times is completely sacrilegious!

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 7:24 PM

What kind of cigar you smoking Ed?

daesleeper on March 14, 2010 at 8:02 PM

You MOBsters owe the JBS an apology if you slammed CPAC for allowing the them to sponsor.

Akzed on March 14, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Thank you so much for sharing the photos, Ed. It looks like a great night out for all.

simkeith on March 14, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Saw a couple women in the photostream presented. Slender, good-looking women. Good-looking women deserving of better than the parade of lumpy-ass, smug fat-bodies I saw.

Drop the cigars, hit the gym, and earn those beers, ladies.

Doorgunner on March 14, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Looks like a fun time. I had a good time with a bunch of fellow veterans here in town last night.

ted c on March 14, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I’m going through the humidor right now. Just to share in the moment. Thanks Ed.

obleo on March 14, 2010 at 9:57 PM

It was a lot of fun, Ed. Glad that I could be there.

Mr. D on March 14, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I hope someone has a Gurkha in that pic.

Cheers luv

ace tomato on March 15, 2010 at 3:29 AM

So I’m guessing that gym memberships aren’t among the perqs of being a Minn. blogger.

highhopes on March 15, 2010 at 7:01 AM