John Kline at the Kill the Bill Rally

posted at 11:00 am on March 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Rep. John Kline, the Republican Congressman who represents my district, gave the opening speech at the Kill the Bill Rally yesterday on the state capital mall. Kline, a former colonel in the Marine Corps, doesn’t mince words or waste a lot of time in this address. Each speaker got seven minutes (with the exception of Rep. Michele Bachmann’s keynote speech), but no one would have begrudged Kline the opportunity to speak at length. Instead, Kline gave a disciplined and relatively brief speech, outlining the outrages contained in the ObamaCare bill.

A couple of technical notes. First, I shot this with my Flip HD, which worked well under less-than-perfect circumstances, as you’ll see in the playback. As one of the speakers, I could only shoot the dais from the speaker area, which was overrun with attendees even at this point, and got much worse when Bachmann spoke — which is part of the reason why I thought crowd estimates were too low. Because of the crowd around me, you’ll probably here some conversations taking place, although the audio should be clear enough to hear Rep. Kline. The American flag whips in and out of the shot, which gives viewers an idea of the cold wind blowing but also may be a bit distracting.

I’m having some trouble uploading the Bachmann video. It may be later tonight before I can post it.

Comments

Looks like the Dems will indeed use the Slaughter rule Monday. Fox News Sunday.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM

If this abomination is muscled through by these pusillanimous aholes, the producers of this country should go on strike.

Lonetown on March 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM

The leftist thugs and their fascist techniques have gone far beyond the pale.

rplat on March 14, 2010 at 11:11 AM

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I think that’s the only way they can pass it. If they pass it I think zero signs it that same night. I hear there are court cases already lined up. I hope that this can be defeated in the court if they really slaughter this bill throug.

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I was listening to Mark Levin last week and he said if this bill is passed using ‘The Slaughter House Rules’, he and others will be challenging it.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM

katy,
I just pray enough lawyers will line up to take this to court for us citizens. I will give funds to any lawyer who is willing to challenge this.
L

letget on March 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Dozens of lawsuits will be filed before Obama’s ink dries.

artist on March 14, 2010 at 11:17 AM

If they ram this through and move right to amnesty, this country might not make it to Nov.

artist on March 14, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Every House Republican (and whatever ethical Dem is left) should stage a revolt on the steps of the Capitol Monday and refuse to enter the Chambers unless this commitment to the Slaughter Rule is withdrawn!!!

Seriously…Desperate measures for desperate times.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:18 AM

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I’ve watched that show faithfully since it’s inception but if they insist on keeping Podesta on the panel, I’m gone. What a slug!

a capella on March 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

artist,
Do we know if amnesty or cap and trade isn’t in this bill? They have student loans in it that we know of. No one has seen the bills so there is no telling what is in it!
L

letget on March 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Impeach and recall. November will be too late, 2012 will be too late.

Failing that, warrants should be sworn for the arrest of all who participate in this unconstitutional travesty. Racketeering and violation of oaths of office complaints should do for a start.

Imagine what life would be like if the Founders had said “oh, let’s wait and see if King George eases up on us. If not, we’ll continue our disciplined, nuanced opposition. We’ll make strong speeches and talk about process! That’ll show him!”

MrScribbler on March 14, 2010 at 11:21 AM

They use the “Slaughter Rule” and they are effectively repudiating the contract between government and governed.

We will be ruled by fiat, not law, not legislation, but by a cabal that decides things behind closed doors, will of the people be dammed.

They pass it in this way, and it’s time for the “insurgency” against what will then be an illegitimate regime to begin, starting with a general strike, and other civil disobedience measures, lasting from the use of the “Slaughter Rule” to election day. Then, if they refuse to recognize the ballot, we will then need to consider if it’s time to resort to the LAST resort… The bullet.

wildcat84 on March 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM

letget on March 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

No, we don’t know for sure.

artist on March 14, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I’m sick to death of hearing arguments about money. Are we accountants or freedom-loving Americans? I would’t care if this bill did save money. It should still be fiercely opposed. I have yet to hear a major politician frame this issue in terms of our American freedoms, that this bill is an assault on our freedom.

Say that, and then I’ll agree that you’re not “mincing words.”

rrpjr on March 14, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Lonetown on March 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Reduce your tax liability as much as possible. No longer live in the business as usual world where taxes are just part of living the life… Reduce for the long term, and prepare for the worst.

RalphyBoy on March 14, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I agree that these guys need to be out there making a scene about this slaughter rule. They are voting on something that’s not even remotly close to the Senate Bill espically adding student loans onto it. I am hoping that this doesn’t get bogged down in the smaller courts but heads straigh for the Supreme Court. I also hope they can get an injuction to stop this and the Supreme Court rules this unconstitutional.

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:25 AM

letget on March 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

If this is how they need to implement the socialist agenda, it would make sense that it is chock full of unsavory legislation they know would be in more trouble than Health care.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Okay, since it looking more likely that the Democrats will succeed with their coup. What do we do to resist it? Surely we can sue and freeze this legislation until the Supreme Court hears our case?

Skywise on March 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM

MrScribbler on March 14, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Could we get our local DA’s to convene Grand Juries and file felony charges against every Rep that violates the Constitutions mandate for a record yes or no vote.

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:25 AM

It is unlikely they would strike the whole law. Most probable is that they strike some parts but leave the law standing. Think McCain-Feingold.

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I want to have Michele Bachmann’s baby.

Bishop on March 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM

The student loan takeover is in the bill.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Y’know, in a saner time I’d question why a bill that nationalized student loans is in a budgetary reconciliation bill..
It’s not like this is a socialist coup de’tat or anything…

Skywise on March 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Skywise on March 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Hit the Easter break town halls hard. More tea party activity. Make effort to repeal or neuter the bill the major issue for candidates in 2010 midterms and 2012 elections. Support legal challenges.

a capella on March 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Levin says if this passes in this manner, it is martial law without the guns. Tyranny.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Think McCain-Feingold.

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Difference is Mac/Fein was passed by completely legitimate congressional process.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM

They aren’t voting on the Senate version of the law. So how can the SCOTUS not strike the whole law down if it happens this way. They are deeming it passed. McCain-Feingold actually passed. I guess this is a we will have to wait and see thing. Which sucks. I don’t think this has ever happened before.

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Chris Wallace thinks the bill will pass.

ladyingray on March 14, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Skywise on March 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM

From what I heard on this the reason they added the student loans in the bill was so it will pass. I thought I had heard that if the student loans hadn’t been put in that this bill wouldn’t of passed. It’s a sweetner to pass the slime.

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM

If you have ever wondered what happened to communism after the Soviet Union fell or Fascism after Germany and Italy were defeated, just take a walk through Washington D.C. and you’ll find them in nearly every official government building including the White House.

rplat on March 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Chris Wallace thinks the bill will pass.

ladyingray on March 14, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Watching Kantor’s body language and careful phrasing, I believe he agrees. I think it’s a done deal.

a capella on March 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM

But it doesn’t belong in a reconciliation bill. It wasn’t even added to get votes… that’s just the lie to get you to accept it. IT was added as part of a socialist takeover of America.

There’s no other answer. There’s no other reason for this chicannery.

This is a ooup. The government is no longer acting with the consent of the governed, nor acting in a legitimate manner.

Skywise on March 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Thanks Ed for doing it … anything is better than nothing … OK so maybe that may not be flattering, but it is true.

tarpon on March 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM
Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:35 AM

While I agree that a bill has never been passed in this way. I will point out that the Supreme Court is conservative in nature, that is they will defer as much as possible to the Legislative Branches on how they pass laws and to the content of the laws.

I hope that SCOTUS will see the massive change a law like this makes in the fabric of this nation but I’m a skeptic when it comes to believing they will completely overturn it.

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I see the White House Office of Propaganda has been busy this morning. TNT is presently running “John Q” and finished a “Law & Order” morning marathon including such subjects as those EVIL pro-lifers and greedy racists on Wall Street.

jack herman on March 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM

We are all toast.

rplat on March 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Good Job Mr. Kline.

ted c on March 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Is it time for literal pitchforks, tar, feathers and rails yet?

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Skywise on March 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I know it doesn’t belong there but what do the dems care. They are going to pass this POS without even voting on it. I’m just saying I heard they added the bills to get some more dems to vote on this.
These guys don’t care about the American Citizen. Who knows what else is in this. How much pork will be put into other bills to pay these guys off. I just can’t believe they are blately doing this and laughing at us because we can’t stop them.

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:45 AM

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I think Levin is ready to pounce on more than one thing. He’s been preparing for a year.

ladyingray on March 14, 2010 at 11:45 AM

defer as much as possible to the Legislative Branches

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:42 AM

No. This is setting a precedent that is foreign even for the SCOTUS. If it was a dictate and never went through the legislative process, how can they send it back to the legislative process.
This will turn every branch of government on its head.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Is it time for literal pitchforks, tar, feathers and rails yet?

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I’m afraid if this passes and Zero hard pivots to amnesty for illegals, with the present unemployment rate, there will be some violence. It’s gonna be a long, hot summer.

a capella on March 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I can only imagine what is hidden deep within this scheme.

We can’t technically stop them but we can respond after the fact. The ‘rats believe it will cost them a few seats in November, I believe it will go far beyond that; there is a lot of anger out there.

Bishop on March 14, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:45 AM

The left has finally abandoned the illusion that they were governing by the consent of the people. Conservatives and Libertarians need to begin a campaign of civil disobedience that makes what happened during the Vietnam war look like a Cub Scout rally.

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:42 AM

The Constitution requires both Houses to vote on the bill, not that the other house passed it so we’ll agree to. The actual bill has to be voted on.

ladyingray on March 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM

a capella on March 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Yes. It. Will.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM

The most effective way is a tax revolt with a lot of people involved.

a capella on March 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Ok then, start making your dream list of things you want the GOP to pass by “deeming” it passed.

I’m thinking striking down Roe, permanently banning any sort of gun control, allowing us to drill and mine and harvest energy sources wherever they may be, all just for starters.

Bishop on March 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Bishop on March 14, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I agree it will cost them. If this reconciliation bill passes you know they will be cheering and high-fiving and they will be doing that knowingly they circumvented the system. It’s just hard to swallow watching them do this. Yes Nov will be good but not the feeling knowing how they’ve taken the Constitution that so many died for and stomp on it for self gratification.

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I hope you are correct but I wouldn’t put a lot of trust in the Court.

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM

We are all toast.

rplat on March 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM

But, with weapons.

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Bishop on March 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM

“Deeming” goes both ways indeed.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Bishop on March 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM

The way to deal with criminality is not to become a criminal.

The only solution is to remove the criminals from power and demonstrate, by appropriate punishment for their acts, that the citizens of the United States do not tolerate such gross violation of the nation’s most fundamental laws.

MrScribbler on March 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM

That’s about the only way to get on the front page of any magazine or newspaper.

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Kill the bill rallies are fine but face it, would the filthy lying coward be delaying the World Apology Tour IV if he didn’t think he could get the photo-op of taking a signed House bill from Nancy Pelosi’s gnarled claws?

I hope it doesn’t happen but am prepared for the probablity that enough bribes will get the Senate bill out of the House. Plan B, for me anyway, is to fan the flames of outrage and anti-Democrat sentiment for the next eight months and really punish these criminals.

highhopes on March 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM

We The People need to mirandize this Congress and president.

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM

The courts will be the last place to go to turn this back to a nation of laws. If the Court does not do this we will fall to into chaos.

I have no faith in the courts either. I’m just saying it’s the last line of defense.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM

ladyingray on March 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I know that but look what has happened regardless of what the constitution says. The commerce clause has been used to usurp states rights and meddle in things not related to commerce for a 100 years and the court has only stopped it once. While I hope that the Court will stop this coup I won’t be surprised if it didn’t.

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 12:01 PM

THIS CHART shows how much money Barrack and the rest of Congress has taken from the health care industry through February 2010, for some data.

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM

a capella on March 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Amnesty at this point will be a must for them, to dilute the voter base with rapid immigration. It’s what Europe has been doing for over a decade.

wildcat84 on March 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 11:45 AM

No, I’m saying i don’t think they got ANY votes for putting the legislation in… They’re just loading the bill in as high as it will go with their political agenda. This is all we *know* about… I’m sure there’s even more evil stuff in that bill.

Skywise on March 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM

3 1/2 billion on lobbying. Amazing. Disgusting.

katy on March 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM

a capella on March 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I agree that a massive tax revolt might do the trick but what is to keep the Government from ordering companies to withhold taxes on pain of CEO’s, CFO’s. etc. going to jail regardless of the forms we file to minimize our own taxes. How do we overcome that threat and believe me that will be what happens if we all try to starve the beast.

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 1:11 PM

katy on March 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Yea: Barrack is a president up for bid.

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 1:12 PM

blocks. axes. baskets.

jbh45 on March 14, 2010 at 1:12 PM

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I agree, but I think this SCOTUS is conservative enough to uphold the original intent of the Constitution. Well, we know four are anyway. They are the last line of defense but we can’t depend on them.

Hey if it can be “deemed” passed, it can be “deemed” overturned by attaching to something the President will sign.

ladyingray on March 14, 2010 at 1:15 PM

MrScribbler on March 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM

What’s left then? The libs have been stomping America for far too long while conservatives have, for the most part, meekly accepted it.

I’m sick and tired of the caterwauling about taking the high ground while the ‘rats destroy the foundations underneath. It’s long past time to say “Fine, you chose this route, we’re going to take it too.” So we take it and shove it all right back in the libs fat faces, show them what it means to fight rather than simply absorb the kicks they give us.

Bishop on March 14, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Bishop on March 14, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Exactly.

What we need is a national strike day, and a protest in DC where we excercise civil disobedience by the hundreds of thousands. Shut the capitol down, stop it from functioning.

wildcat84 on March 14, 2010 at 1:19 PM

wildcat84 on March 14, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Millions. Jam every last square inch of Congress, the ground outside, the steps, the DC mall; plug the place to the rafters and let the thugs know that this isn’t Venezuela.

Bishop on March 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I doubt we see another time with the donks having overwhelming majoritites in Congress plus the WH, at least for a long time. The pubbies know better than to try something like that and if this thing goes through as having been deemed to be passed, the whole ball game has changed regarding legislative procedures. There will be hyperpartisanship like we have never seen, but I think civil unrest will occur long before that comes into play. I don’t think the Democrats are really aware of the anger level present in the populace. I’m an old guy and have never seen the country as close to the breaking point as we are now.

a capella on March 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM

a capella on March 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM

They have no idea what civil unrest would be like in this country if they provoke it.

I think we are on the brink.

wildcat84 on March 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Exactly.

wildcat84 on March 14, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Galt day…

Skywise on March 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Taxation without Representation. History will repeat itself.

Electrongod on March 14, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Bishop on March 14, 2010 at 1:16 PM

When this nation was born, the patriots didn’t play by England’s rules. They rebelled, and established new, fair, honest rules for governance.

I advocate the course of action outlined by the Declaration of Independence as it pertains to replacing tyrannical rulers, with this added proviso: since those who are attempting to enslave and overburden us consider themselves citizens, they must be made to suffer the punishment prescribed for those who break the most vital laws of the land.

The president and every member of congress who supports the treasonous acts now being forced on us must be indicted, arrested, tried and, when found guilty (as irrefutable evidence suggests they will be), imprisoned for the periods mandated by law.

That is the rule of law.

This would serve two admirable purposes: it would preserve the nation and would make it clear to future would-be traitors that the Constitution, and those just laws introduced since, must be followed.

MrScribbler on March 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Can we say “Honduras”? And how did our beloved President respond to the Honduras Supreme Court decision?

Electrongod on March 14, 2010 at 2:03 PM

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:42 AM

They can’t “defer” to the point where they ignore the clear language in the Constitution which states that all laws must be passed by individual members voting yea or nay. If the justices do that, they’re essentially nullifying the entire document — including the portions that give them their own authority.

AZCoyote on March 14, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Electrongod on March 14, 2010 at 2:03 PM

A real possibility. There is a reason why Obama backed Zelaya. Perhaps he plans to be re-elected by Congress passing a rule that “presumes” he was re-elected. Only way he gets a 2nd term at this rate.

wildcat84 on March 14, 2010 at 2:38 PM

If the Dems use the nuclear option to pass this bill, it only seems fair that a similar nuclear option should be used to overturn it.

Today is PI day, 3-14. Pot day is 4-20. Could we combine them and have 4-2 be Pot Pie day?

Fallon on March 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM

The video’s fine Ed. No need to excuse. Thanks for the report.

exdeadhead on March 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Is it time for literal pitchforks, tar, feathers and rails yet?

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Yes… long overdue…

Khun Joe on March 14, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Captain Ed, breathe regular, you’ve got an Arliegh backin you up you old Ticonderga skipper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe-9vzTDIgw

Yup, that’s Congressman Michele “Machwoman” Bachmann on YouTube! Just so we’re clear: I found it, didn’t upload it, bravo to UpTakeVideo!

HotAirJosef on March 14, 2010 at 5:44 PM

They hear us just fine but they’re not listening.

Mojave Mark on March 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM

If this passes, there better be some viloence. If not, then we are all a bunch of cowards.

Mirimichi on March 14, 2010 at 8:51 PM