A note on Daylight Saving Time

posted at 10:39 am on March 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I remembered that it was Daylight Savings Time today … but our servers didn’t.  This happens twice a year, literally like clockwork.  Our technical staff will work on this, but for a good part of the day, our times will be an hour off.

Does DST serve any purpose these days?  Americans are more or less split on the question, with a plurality believing that the program isn’t worth the semiannual hassle it creates:

Daylight Saving Time begins early tomorrow morning, but, according to the latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey, 47% of Americans don’t think the time change is worth the hassle. Forty percent (40%) disagree, and 13% more aren’t sure.

These figures are unchanged from our survey last October, when Daylight Saving Time for 2009 ended.

The internals on this Rasmussen poll are rather entertaining. That 40% in support is exactly the same among Republicans, Democrats, and independents. White voters and black voters are nearly identical in reaction, 42/45 and 41/43 respectively. We’ve achieved unity! The only age demo that shows support over opposition is the 50-64 age group at 47/46. Younger voters have the most forceful reaction, with approval only garnering 26% against 55% disapproval.

I’d say it’s an anachronistic attempt to manipulate time for an issue (darkness) that technological development has already defeated. Since it’s a big government program, instead of assessing it rationally, we just keep expanding it. However, I’m willing to stipulate that I may just be grouchy from having lost an hour of sleep, too.

Update: You learn something new every day. It’s Daylight Saving Time, not Savings, which a couple of commenters point out below. I’ve adjusted the headline accordingly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I am not a big supporter of DST. It throws my week off until I can get back into the swing of things.

Brat4life on March 14, 2010 at 10:42 AM

It sure was nice not having to futz with DST the 8 years we were in Arizona. Other than having to deal with the rest of the world, I guess.

Scott P on March 14, 2010 at 10:42 AM

The recreational and resort industry want it. It keeps people at the amusement park, golf course or resort an hour longer in the evening because it’s still light.

Wethal on March 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM

This is picking a nit, but it’s “Daylight Saving Time”. There is no “s” on “Saving”.

/OCDgrammarNazi

TexasAg03 on March 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Bloody waste of time, no pun intended. As Ed says, the technology has long since eliminated the reason for it.

Rusty Bill on March 14, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I’m happy to have some extra daylight at the end of the day. Once Fall gets here, I’m sure I’ll be tired of it and ready for it to be darker in the evenings.

Caiwyn on March 14, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Commie plot.

Akzed on March 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM

And the *#^&$%#@ blanket STILL isn’t any longer!

karl9000 on March 14, 2010 at 10:46 AM

When I was a kid, DST was explained by the example of an old Indian Native American who cut a foot off the bottom of his blanket and sewed it to the top to make a longer blanket.

Longhorn Six on March 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Wethal on March 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM

An extra hour in the evening to play outside with the kids when the weather is nice? Sounds like a good deal.

dedalus on March 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM

The whole world should be on GMT.

zmdavid on March 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I don’t mind DST, but the previous DST schedule was much better than it is now.

Dasher on March 14, 2010 at 10:52 AM

It serves no useful purpose anymore. This isn’t an agrarian economy.

SlaveDog on March 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I say that they just split the difference, i.e. move the time one half hour between Standard and Saving Time and then… LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

BierManVA on March 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Out here in almost-far West Texas, you can actually drive northeast into New Mexico and go back an hour because of the way the time zones are set up (this time of year you can drive over 1,000 miles east on I-10, I-20 or I-40 and still be in Central Time, but drive just 300 miles west on I-10 from Van Horn into the non-Daylight Savings observing Arizona, and there’s a two-hour time difference).

It’s not the worst thing in the world for late spring and summer outdoor activities, but moving DST forward three weeks in the spring and back a week in the fall means in this area, you’re still in the dark at 8 a.m. in mid-March and the first week of November (and 2010 has the latest possible start for DST under the current federal law).

jon1979 on March 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Daylight Savings pretty much killed the drive-in movie business.

mitch088 on March 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM

The screen cap accurately shows how people feel getting up an hour earlier for the next week or so to go to work, if you’re unemployed its another reminder, the Obama administration isn’t working for your benefit.

Speakup on March 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Next month Joe Biden will be making a statement to the press about how much daylight has been saved by this administration, and the M(entally)S(low)M(edia) will run with it.

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM

It ticks me off that “day light savings time” is now most of the year. But I never liked the switch, one way or the other.

Count to 10 on March 14, 2010 at 10:56 AM

It’s nice to have some daylight when the school busses are on the roads in the late afternoon. Where I live – With no DST it would be dark enough for headlights at 3:15 PM in December.

It’s also a sign of Spring when we get that extra hour of daylight at the end of the day. I know it’s a pain, but I don’t mind it at all. Have lived with it almost my entire life.

GoldenEagle4444 on March 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM

The whole world should be on GMT.

zmdavid on March 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Nowthere is an interesting idea.

Count to 10 on March 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM

You can make it any time you want, and this administration will still not be in synch with the American People.

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM

What is the Libertarian Party’s position on Daylight Saving Time?

Emperor Norton on March 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Daylight Savings Time does not save on moment of daylight. Sort of like the chosen one’s job saving claim, just not there.

Teleycoman on March 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM

GoldenEagle4444 on March 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM

What are you talking about? We’re on standard time in December.

Count to 10 on March 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I hate messing with all the clocks. I hate getting up in the morning, no matter what time they say it is.

TXMomof3 on March 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I’m a morning person… I’d rather have my daylight in the morning…

ninjapirate on March 14, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I hate it. Pick a time and stick with it!

cibolo on March 14, 2010 at 11:01 AM

We Hoosiers held out and resisted DST for as long as we could, it being a dumb practice that has long ago become a moot exercise, but business-wise, it was tiresome to remind out of state customers and vendors that we didn’t change our clocks this week and we’re now on different times.

That said, we’ve been doing it for 2 years now, and it’s not a big deal, and since Indiana largely went with EST as our base time zone, I can play 18 holes of golf on weekdays during the summer because it doesn’t get dark till 10pm.

whoo hoo!

moflicky on March 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM

But it’s such a clever rhyme!

darii on March 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM

The entire concept of day light savings time is a farce.

It is supposed to help farmers with extra sunlight or something. Note to humans: The Earth’s rotation around the sun is not affected by what time our clocks are set.

The REAL reason for daylight savings time is because people are TOO DAMN LAZY to adjust their WORK SCHEDULE to fit NATURE.

uknowmorethanme on March 14, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Your headline is incorrect. Contrary to public belief, it is “Saving” not “Savings”. Look it up. Probably the most misused phrase in the American lexicon.

flyoverland on March 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

My only complaint is why don’t we move the clocks forward an hour at 4 PM on Monday while I’m at work!

PatMac on March 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Thread theme song.

zmdavid on March 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I liked the extra hour for Halloween parties, but I hate moving forward.

I think it would be better if we only moved the clocks back every time.

exception on March 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I will stick with my flux capacitor and a fast Prius.

Electrongod on March 14, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Indiana only recently started using DST. I think the entire concept is ridiculous! Pick a time and stick with it. This is the 21st century! Sometime remind me (seriously) how this affects anything? How does it even affect the “greater good” of this country?

I am consistently po’d all summer long (and now until November) because I’ve been screwed out of this hour!
/only a little bit of sarc

Oink on March 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Seriously, I thinks DST is great. I’m alway running early in the AM and during the summer, it’s already light out at 5 AM here in Franklin, Tn. Without DST it would be light out at 4 AM! I’d much prefer to have the extra hour in the evening.

PatMac on March 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM

YAY!!!!

so glad to emerge from the freaking winter doldrums

light til 730!

f yea

blatantblue on March 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM

PatMac on March 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Ok, now I’ll live with that.

Oink on March 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Maybe, but I always look forward to fall when I get to finally catch up on that hour I lost last night.

BKeyser on March 14, 2010 at 11:11 AM

PatMac on March 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM

YAY!!!!

so glad to emerge from the freaking winter doldrums

light til 730!

f yea

blatantblue on March 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Imagine, however, if you got up with the alarm clock and quit working with the sun. Makes for exhausted people!

Again, WHY is it the government’s worry whether we have an extra hour of daylight?

Oink on March 14, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I have lots of yard chores in the Spring when I get home from work. Since I cannot light up my whole property, I really appreciate the extra hour of daylight. I am glad they moved it up from the first week in April to the middle of March. It really helps me get things done. (PS the neighbors do not want me to get up early and clear fallen timber before work when they are still sleeping.)

KW64 on March 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I liked it when I was a kid. In the summertime, the sun did not go down until 9PM. In those days, kids actually played outside unsupervised, so it was a good thing. These days, I don’t mind the switch, and it is fun to see how many people don’t make it to the early church service.

Kafir on March 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM

SlaveDog on March 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

It never was about an agrarian economy it was about keeping our financial industry, east coast, closer time wise to the European financial markets.

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:14 AM

We had DST year-round in the 1970s. It was great!

I saw an interesting paper advocating re-establishing DST year-round that made some great points. To wit:

year-round daylight saving time would save hundreds of lives annually by decreasing motor vehicle and pedestrian fatalities. Furthermore, extra light in the evening hours reduces criminal activity and results in energy savings from decreased peak electricity demand. Finally, year-round daylight saving time would eliminate the negative effects caused by the current Spring and Fall time changes. These advantages significantly outweigh the potential costs of daylight saving during winter months.

You can download the paper here

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I always hate “Spring Forward” as I lose an hour of sleep. Of course I always love “Fall Back” for the gain. So I propose that we just do away with “Spring Forward” and just have a gain an hour holiday called “Fall Back” every six months.

conservnut on March 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM

No DST in Hawaii but, now my phone starts ringing at 3 instead of 4.

TheSitRep on March 14, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I wish we had DST year-round now. I like having some daylight when I get off work.

ladyingray on March 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I’ve liked it since I was a kid. It always meant Spring and warmer wx was on its way. I still like it as a simple change of pace. Heck, just now thinking about it reduced by blood pressure for a bit after fuming all morning over how badly F’d my country is becoming. Crap, now I can feel it rising again :)

bernzright777 on March 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Thomas Sowell did a column a couple years back on “good ideas” by government, and pointed out that DST came from some busybody bureaucrat who liked to get up early, and he managed to push and infect a lot of people with DST as a “good idea”. And now the shift back and forth results in huge amounts of lost hours and manpower, lost energy, lost wages, and massive expenditures all for no particular reason other than a “good idea”.

CPL 310 on March 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I’m glad I now reside in Arizona. I don’t have to tired for several weeks until my biological clock adapts to the changed schedule. As to working on my property I just get up with the sun and get the same amount of work in.

chemman on March 14, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I disagree. We have not defeated darkness — liberals still exist.

And besides, doesn’t it feel good to get that extra hour in the fall?

As for your servers, there’s certainly a DOS TSR somewhere which keeps track and adjusts the clock…..

unclesmrgol on March 14, 2010 at 11:21 AM

We going to get extra daylight anyways. It does us no good at the beginning of the day when we’re trying to sleep so we may as well put it on the end of the day when we have stuff to do.

AaronGuzman on March 14, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Daylights Savings Time is a joke and a complete waste!

We should stick with one standard of time and then that’s it!

The fact that Congress recently meddled with the concept shows how much of a success it has been. Last I checked, it hadn’t saved one damned dime for anything.

pilamaye on March 14, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I travel worldwide, changing time zones by many hours, and none of that affects my body nearly as much as DST. I despise it.

Vashta.Nerada on March 14, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Caiwyn on March 14, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Not to mention we get the hour back we lost this weekend, plus the Christmasy feeling of the shorter days !

cableguy615 on March 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM

my office is in arizona and I work with people in florida.
this time of year, I’m now 3 hours behind.
hello 5 am wakes-ups, again.
ooph.

jimmer on March 14, 2010 at 11:24 AM

So, does Jack Bauer lose an hour too?

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 11:25 AM

And all the people that pass away before the time goes back get cheated an hour of their lives by this Congress!

Cybergeezer on March 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I’m against it…no, for it…well, sort of both (neither?). I say leave it an hour ahead from now on. I don’t mind going to work in the dark, but I mortally hate coming home so. Then again, I live on the East side of a time zone; folks on the West side get later daylight naturally. I should probably move closer to the equator or buy a vowel or maybe go to Grandpa Jones to block…

Knott Buyinit on March 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Indiana only recently started using DST
Oink on March 14, 2010 at 11:12 AM

It was a pain before. I had 3 nearby timezones to worry about then (Eastern – 2 miles north, Central – 20 miles west, or permanent Eastern Standard – where I live). Now I only have to worry about Eastern or Central.

zmdavid on March 14, 2010 at 11:29 AM

It’s a waste of time and money. Not only is it a waste, but Congress just a few years ago MOVED the date that the time changes 3 weeks in Spring and 1 week in Fall, for no useful purpose. I guess they have nothing better to do. Older computers do not have a fix for this.

bluesman on March 14, 2010 at 11:36 AM

ladyingray on March 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM

They did have DST year-round during the first big oil embargo/energy scare the winter of ’73-74, which was my senior year at a Detroit public high school. Detroit is on the western edge of the eastern time zone and it was dark past 8 AM on those winter mornings, increasing the risks and dangers for a lot of kids walking to school, waiting for the bus, etc, and starting classes in darkness. It did not work out very well.

PatMac on March 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Waste of time and money. No point to it at all any more, if there ever was other than the gubmint trying to make an issue where there isn’t one.

Bob's Kid on March 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Leave it at DST. Shop owners keep telling me that people shop later when it’s still light out. Why wouldn’t they want that effect all year-round?

And this only matters to those of us who live far enough from the equator to make a difference. But even there the “shopper” argument still holds true. So why not leave it at DST?

The switching back and forth is bad for business. As a graveyard shift worker (long ago), I was paid an hour overtime when we fell back, and paid for an hour I didn’t have to work when we sprang forward. And we had to shut down systems (mainframes and such) to change clocks. Very expensive and disruptive stuff.

liberty0 on March 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM

bluesman on March 14, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Yeah, I love my ‘automatic adjusting clock’, that adjusts the time at the wrong days now, so I have to adjust the clock 4 times per year now.

Vashta.Nerada on March 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM

PatMac

LOL ! ! !

honsy on March 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Just when it was starting to get light at a reasonable hour in the morning, DST thrusts us back into the oblivion of darkness until far too late in the day for about another month. I didn’t mind it so much when DST started later in the year, although I am of an age now where it takes me about a week to adjust to the mere 1 hour change. Sigh.

ProfessorMiao on March 14, 2010 at 11:47 AM

When you have a job schedule that requires you start your day at an un Godly early hour, it is a real pain in the ….. to try going to sleep when it is still ‘daylight’ outside, and everyone else wants to play.

Skandia Recluse on March 14, 2010 at 11:47 AM

You fix the new DST dates on Windows machines with a program called TZEDIT. It works with OS’s at least as far back as Windows98.

zmdavid on March 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM

PatMac on March 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Hey Pat Mac, I too live in Franklin, TN just south of town about two miles. Probably have seen you running.

hip shot on March 14, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Clock schmock…

STAY AWAY FROM WIKIPEDIA!!!!!

Middle schoolers ought to have their knuckles rapped for thinking that http://www.wikipedia.com is a source for anything except bad information.

You should know better. (What is this, just another example of the famous “sloppy and lazy journalistic” style? )

CrazyGene on March 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

To heck with the blanket story, trying to get more daylight by changing the clocks is like cutting off your head and standing on it so you can see farther.

Just pick a time and stick with it, especially since Congress can’t stop meddling with it (like 2007). I don’t care if you call midnight noon as long as you don’t change it twice a year.

It’s just another example of bureaucrats and politicians sticking their noses in where they don’t belong. How would you like it if a politician changed your alarm clock? Well, here you are.

For those of us with sleep disorders, this is like being roughed up every morning for a week or more, twice a year.

I can’t even BEGIN to describe how much it pisses me off. Too bad it’s just one example out of thousands of tax-stealing busybodies who are never happy unless they’re making someone else unhappy.

And that doesn’t even cover the compliance costs, the lateness and accidents… and as to the mythical power savings (for every “pro” study there’s a “con” one), why not ration electricity or miles driven? Because they can’t get away with it.

Merovign on March 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM

and 13% more aren’t sure

Who the heck are these “unsure” folks in these polls? I assume since they were contacted, they probably have landline phones and probably even pay for it themselves, so one would think they are (at least somewhat) productive members of society and would have an opinion especially on stuff that affects them directly?

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM

For this reason alone, I’m against Mitch Daniels becoming President. The Republicans in the state pulled nearly the same kind of chicannery (but still LEGAL) they’re doing with the health care bill to get it passed here in Indiana because the majority was (and still is) against it.

Like everything else, there were insider reasons for this. A buncha fat cats in Indianapolis had figured out that they could invest in a new airport and get FedEx to move their central operations hub from Tennessee to here. But FedEx balked, with one of the reasons being Indiana’s non-observance of DST. So… pass DST get FedEx to move here, FatCats make money.

So DST passed, FedEx balked and the city was forced to raise sales taxes to cover the costs of the airport and the new stadium.

Nice airport though…

Skywise on March 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Back when I was a horny teenage boy, many, many, years ago; I was sure Daylight Saving Time was a conspiracy against nature.

meci on March 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM

hip shot on March 14, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Thin, gray-haired guy running through Polk Place subdivision and at Franklin Athletic Club.

PatMac on March 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Commie plot.

Akzed on March 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM

We have no DST in China, and just 1 timezone

DarkCurrent on March 14, 2010 at 12:09 PM

The whole world should be on GMT.

zmdavid on March 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM

That’s what I always say!

DarkCurrent on March 14, 2010 at 1:12 PM

In the Canadian Province of Saskatchewan it is the legal policy not to use DST. Some Areas of the Province bordering on Alberta and Manitoba are in different time zones and do go with Alberta or Manitoba time, both of which use DST. In most of Saskatchewan they don’t change their clocks or their lunchtime.

westerncanadian on March 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Oh man, here we go. The annual rage against having a little more daylight after most people get home from work. This, of course, driven by the Minnesota and Wisconsin dairy farmers who have to get up an hour earlier in the dark to milk their cows and those mentally incapable of hacking their watches.

I am reminded of the letter to the Left Angeles Times many years ago by some twit old lady who bleated that DST cheated the flowers and trees out of extra daylight.

Wanna know the truth? They change the laws every once in a while just so you have to upgrade to Bill Gates’ newest operating system.

VoyskaPVO on March 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I no longer care. I’m retired I don’t care what time it is. Usually I don’t care what day it is.

Oldnuke on March 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Living in Phoenix, all it does to us is scramble the TV & Radio times of national programs, which is a pain as I don’t have a TIVO. Much prefer being in the Mountain Time zone rather than the now Pacific Time zone. On the flip side, in June when its 105 who wants the sun up till 9:00 pm?

Fynxbell on March 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I’m sooooo confused!!!
Chicago
Does anyone really know what time it is?

yoda on March 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Servers fixed @ “1310″ EDT

bernzright777 on March 14, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I love DST. In the summer, up north here in Seattle, I can work a full day and play a round of golf before it gets dark at 9:30 or 10:00 pm. If we have to mess with the clocks, then make DST the standard time. Better summers!

Mallard T. Drake on March 14, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Does DST serve any purpose these days?

Yes, Standard time doesn’t serve a purpose. Why would would want the sun to start rising at 3:30 in morning and lose an hour of daylight after work?

lowandslow on March 14, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Looks like the servers got updated.

Ed Morrissey on March 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Growing up in Alaska, I always wondered what DST was for. Meant nothing except disturbed sleep patterns for a month or so. It was dark in the winter and light in the summer, no matter what the clock said.

Turns out here in the Midwest, cows don’t care what the clock says. Can’t convince them to milk any sooner or later. Funny how that works.

Who benefits from this? Must be a money issue or it would have gone away.

tcn on March 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM

By using more energy. Daylight savings time makes us a little less dependent on Sharia oil.

This is the good kind of government program – the very rare kind – one that doesn’t cost anything and actually saves a bit. With daylight savings time it even costs a tad less to light up the buearocrat’s offices.

Okey dokey.

MB4 on March 14, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Movie trivia: the original “Night of the Living Dead” story begins on the morning when Daylight Savings Time starts.

Kind of explains all the groggy zombies I saw at church this morning.

DarthBrooks on March 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM

MB4 on March 14, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Actually no it doesn’t. They ran an analysis here in Indiana after the state adopted DST. Energy use and costs went UP. Why? Because more people are home while the sun is up during the summer so AC use went up as well.

Skywise on March 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM

As an old, retired systems manager, what is wrong with your server techies? Aren’t they keeping up with changes to their system software? The DST changeover should be totally transparent. Even Microsoft software handles it easily (I’m a UNIX snob!).

The change was mandated several years ago. Most of my built-in chips handled the changeover with no problem on all but the most basic computer chips (e.g. my coffee maker and old microwave).

new2wnc on March 14, 2010 at 2:25 PM

It costs plenty in compliance costs and pisses off (at least) millions of people. It doesn’t save a lick of energy because what you gain at one end you lose at the other.

And the compliance costs keep going up because they keep changing the rules.

Just cut it out, if you want to shuffle your evenings around, that’s YOUR problem, stop trying to impose it on everyone else!

Merovign on March 14, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I like having an extra hour of daylight after work in the springs, for grilling, garden work etc. Makes perfect sense to me, since darkness or light when I awaken is irrelevant.

disa on March 14, 2010 at 2:52 PM

after work in the SPRING, that is..

disa on March 14, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Skywise on March 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I must be missing something because this makes no sense to me.

disa on March 14, 2010 at 2:55 PM

One of the most civilized things about living here in AZ is that we don’t do the whole “spring forward, be a zombie for a few days”, “fall back, reset the circadian rhythm” thing. We may have to adjust a few telecon times to adjust to the abuse of the clocks that the less refined areas of the country do, but that beats monkeying with one’s sleep patterns twice a year.

AZfederalist on March 14, 2010 at 3:20 PM

How many lumens does it create or save?

Jasper61 on March 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM