Tom Mullins: Adam Kokesh is an internet celebrity and a war protestor who makes poor choices

posted at 11:30 am on March 13, 2010 by Cassy Fiano

Yesterday, I wrote about Adam Kokesh and his anti-military, anti-American actions which would make him a poor representative for New Mexico. He’s running as a Republican in the primary, which is interesting considering his many affiliations with Marxist and liberal organizations, like CODEPINK, A.N.S.W.E.R., and of course, the Iraq Veterans Against the War. He’s a liar and a phony who has been arrested multiple times and encouraged soldiers in Germany to go AWOL. Yet now, he parades himself as some kind of Constitutional crusader.

Fortunately, there is an alternative. Tom Mullins is also running as a Republican to represent New Mexico, and unlike Adam Kokesh, he’s the real deal: a Reagan Republican who certainly has never paraded around in a Marine Corps uniform holding an upside-down American flag, defacing public property, or staging “die-ins” in Washington D.C. the way his opponent has.

I had the chance yesterday to speak with Tom about Adam Kokesh, as well as ask him a few questions about where he stands on the issues.

Cassy Fiano: What are your thoughts on Adam Kokesh’s anti-military activities?

Tom Mullins: I disagree with Adam’s positions regarding our military. I support Guantanamo Bay being open. We are not occupiers. Adam’s activities offend the many veterans, including my father, that I have met. We are not the world’s policeman. We have a volunteer military. Our military men and women deserve support from our elected officials and all members of the American public. I don’t understand how Adam’s actions are “Constitutional”. Adam is nothing more than an Internet Celebrity and a War Protester. I don’t believe New Mexicans agree with his views or his methods to share or voice them.

CF: What would you say the primary difference between yourself and Adam is?

TM: My faith, knowledge, experience, good listening skills, and my good judgment. My faith grounds me and I will stand for innocent life. My knowledge of the energy industry the most important industry in New Mexico is a big difference as well. My life experience growing up as a military brat, traveling around the country, putting myself through college working multiple jobs, building my business from scratch with hard work, perseverance, and luck, being a father of two wonderful girls and raising them, and serving my community. I have been paying my taxes, creating jobs and wealth, which allows our government to function. I don’t think Adam’s even held a job since leaving the Marine Corps.

My good judgment sets me apart. As an engineer, I solve problems. We have problems in Washington that need an Engineer’s skill set. I have the character, the competence, and the compassionate record of making good decisions. I think we are all defined by who we associate ourselves with. I am proud of my actions and my decisions. That includes who I have associated myself with. I don’t know if my opponent’s associates give confidence to the voting public. I ask that New Mexico voters get to know their candidates, their prior words and actions, as well as their associations. I am a grass roots candidate with my grassroots support from right here in New Mexico. I have not been anointed by the political elite. The short answer is that I am qualified to serve as a Congressman, and I don’t think Adam is qualified. He’s a great public speaker, I’ll give you that. So if you’re looking for an unqualified guy who looks pretty and can speak well, then Adam’s your guy.

CF: Do you feel that Adam is an electable candidate?

TM: No.

CF: What made you decide to run for office?

TM: I have never run for nor held public office. I have watched silently as our country is being destroyed. I became more active in the past few years… but became frustrated. When asked what I could do, I decided the most important thing I could do would be to take away the job of the person making these decisions and responsible for holding the executive branch accountable. This is personal. My children’s future and our nation’s future is at stake. I’ve already served as a Tea Party organizer, and now is the time for me to serve our country and New Mexico as its next Congressman.

CF: What would you say the most important issue facing the country today is?

TM: Jobs, economy, and energy. We need private sector jobs and affordable energy to fuel these jobs and our economy. Ben Ray Lujan, Jr. is living in a false utopia, and is out of touch with the citizens of New Mexico. I plan to reduce the size and role of the Federal Government to allow private sector companies to create private sector jobs. That is the solution. Allow for energy development which will allow for private sector manufacturing, which will create meaningful direct jobs and all the associated service industry jobs.

CF: If you were in office, would you have voted for the stimulus package?
TM: No to the stimulus and no to government bailouts.

CF: Would you vote for the health care bill?
TM: No.

CF: Do you approve or disapprove of the abortion funding in the bill?
TM: I disapprove of abortion funding. The government should not pay to murder innocent life. I will stand for innocent life at every opportunity.

CF: What is your position on energy? Would you support offshore drilling and drilling in ANWR?
TM: We need affordable energy. Yes, drill offshore and drill in ANWR (Sec 1002). Being a petroleum engineer and having constructed my own passive solar home. I understand energy. I support Nuclear, Solar, Wind, Natural Gas, Oil, & Coal. Nuclear energy due to its energy density will be our nation’s saving grace in the future. Natural gas is the fuel of now. It should be promoted. Rep. Lujan has voted against New Mexico’s important natural gas industry repeatedly.

CF: Would you support repealing DADT?
TM: I believe that our volunteer military must have standards. The commanders and leaders of our men and women in combat need to make this decision, not Congress. There is no right to the job to serve our nation. It is an honor and a blessing. It is a shame that we politicize this issue.

CF: What is your position on gay marriage?
TM: No to gay marriage. Marriage is sacred and is between one man and one woman. I support the Manhattan Declaration.

CF: And finally, why should voters vote for you instead of Adam?
TM: I am qualified to serve as our next Congressman. I will protect the Constitution, stop the out of control spending and bring common sense to Washington. I have no baggage in my past. I have made good decisions and judgments so far in my life. I believe past performance is a good indicator of future performance. I am a solid qualified candidate who can win this seat for the people of New Mexico. This is not about me. I want to serve them and have been blessed to be at this point in my life where I can serve them. Adam has made poor choices in the past and shown that he has bad judgement. When you put someone who makes poor choices and has bad judgement into office, I think you’ll find that the results will be at best chaotic.

CF: Tom, thanks for taking the time to talk with me.
TM: Thank you!

After speaking with Tom, I feel like the choice is obvious. The Roniacs have come out in full force for Kokesh listing all of his so-called “conservative” credentials, but what about his past? What about his anti-military and anti-American activities? What about his associations with Marxist, liberal, and communist groups? Even if he did somehow change his mind and see the light, so to speak, does that mean that we should just ignore all of that? The problems with Kokesh are problems that any rational American can’t just ignore. Tom Mullins is just as conservative, and frankly, seems much more genuine to me than Adam Kokesh. And unlike Adam, Tom Mullins doesn’t have a history of anti-American and anti-military activities in his background.

Help Tom Mullins defeat Adam Kokesh in the primary. Get the word out, and donate to his campaign. We need real representatives who love this country, not a false prophet claiming to fight for the Constitution.

Cross-posted from Cassy’s blog. Stop by for more original commentary, or follow her on Twitter!

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Another phony! A dime a dozen in politics these days. Get rid of him before damage is done New Mexico.

jeanie on March 13, 2010 at 11:33 AM

All New Astroturfing is now availible in Political campaigns !

This isnt a small thing. The left has learned the political version of Agent provocateur

William Amos on March 13, 2010 at 11:37 AM

As a former Marine, I find Adam Kokesh nothing more than a disgrace to the Marines, the country and the state of New Mexico. Best wishes for Tom Mullins.

fourdeucer on March 13, 2010 at 11:40 AM

My point being that the left is not above trying to steal power by pretending to be obnoxious conservatives to paint us as extremists

See what they did to Michelle not too long ago

William Amos on March 13, 2010 at 11:42 AM

fourdeucer on March 13, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Agreed. And Semper Fi Marine.

BKeyser on March 13, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Another Democrat posing as a Republican to get elected.

Color me shocked.

Enoxo on March 13, 2010 at 11:47 AM

As a former Marine and current Guardsman I say Kokesh is the kind of organism that gives scum and bags a bad name.

Donate Mullins and Vote Mullins if possible.

Doorgunner on March 13, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Time to coin a new label for these frauds - Blue Hogs.

Just waiting to line up at the trough, but wearing a disguise to hide their true identity.

honsy on March 13, 2010 at 11:50 AM

while your point against the guy is valid, is this blog becoming a campaigning forum now? Does this follow campaign finance laws?

Doogiesd on March 13, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Doogiesd on March 13, 2010 at 11:50 AM

An interview is news, and Kokesh has been remarked upon here before.

Got a better candidate for this race? Feel free to tout him now

Doorgunner on March 13, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Shame on you all.

Rae on March 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Doogiesd on March 13, 2010 at 11:50 AM

you are overreacting

Willie on March 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Oh shiite…it’s the internet police!

Bishop on March 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM

If you can, please donate a few dollars to Tom Mullins and help him get into office!

Conservative Samizdat on March 13, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Uh, we\’re talking NM-3? No Republican will ever win there. Even a despicable fake one. I really like Mullins and wish him the best, but I doubt his chances even in this environment.

Rhinoboy on March 13, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Shame on you all.

Rae on March 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Being a veteran does not immunize you from criticism.In Kokesh’s case, it is well deserved. He’s a blue falcon flamin’ whackjob.

And I would gladly deliver that assessment to him, or you, in person.

Doorgunner on March 13, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Conservative Samizdat

Second that emotion! And PLEASE report me to the gubbermint for breaking campaign rules – right after you insist on an investigation on O’Bambi’s illegal overseas contributions to his campaign in 2008!

honsy on March 13, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Adam Kokesh

Protest activities

On September 4, 2008, Kokesh interrupted Senator John McCain’s acceptance speech of the GOP nomination for President at the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Holding a sign reading “McCain Votes Against Vets” on one side and “You can’t win an occupation” on the other,[9] Kokesh yelled, “Ask him why he votes against vets!” A member of the audience grabbed the sign and tore it in two. Kokesh was released shortly after being detained by local police.[10]
===============================

Congressional run

In April 2009, Adam Kokesh supporters created a draft website to encourage Kokesh to run for United States Congress representing New Mexico’s 3rd congressional district. Soon after, Kokesh launched an exploratory committee, and on July 4, 2009, he officially announced his candidacy at a supporter rally.[19] On the same day, supporters formed a moneybomb that raised more than $25,000 in a 24 hour period. On July 21, 2009, Kokesh announced that he would be running as a libertarian-oriented Republican and is receiving support from Ron Paul.[20] The Republican Liberty Caucus, the PAC that represents the libertarian wing of the Republican Party, has endorsed Kokesh.[21]

============================================

A Libertarian Republican!!

Heres what you`ll get!!
================================
================================
An Ugly Baby

canopfor on March 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM

The Daily Kokesh

When I heard that renowned IVAW ass clown (but I repeat myself) Adam Kokesh was running for Congress, I laughed.

canopfor on March 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Shame on you all.

Rae on March 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM

You’re kidding. Right?

katy the mean old lady on March 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM

How are Iraq Veterans Against the War Marxists?

ernesto on March 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM

See what they did to Michelle not too long ago

William Amos on March 13, 2010 at 11:42 AM

William Amos:I see it that way as well,its Liberals only
choice to get elected,Scozzafava was a double
agent as an example!!:)

canopfor on March 13, 2010 at 12:27 PM

The Daily Kokesh

canopfor on March 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM

And when he found out it was true he wanted to puke. Thanks for the link.

fourdeucer on March 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM

A Dishonored Marine, you really need to read this

canopfor on March 13, 2010 at 12:43 PM

And when he found out it was true he wanted to puke. Thanks for the link.

fourdeucer on March 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM

fourdeucer:Your welcome,now I`ll resume my intel hunt for
pictures of Adam and Code Pink!!:)

canopfor on March 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM

How are Iraq Veterans Against the War Marxists?

ernesto on March 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Wow. Paint with a wide enough brush there buddy? Are you inferring that we are labeling ALL vets?

Try reading any links here, or actually educating yourself on the matter at hand. Then come back and spout off to your heart’s content.

viviliberoomuori on March 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Freedom Radio will interview Tom Mullins live tomorrow, Sunday March 14, at 8 PM EST, during the first segment.

That will be followed by a discussion about Adam Kokesh. Those who will weigh in saw his antiwar activism at street level.

Sergeant Tim on March 13, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I don’t have an opinion on Kokesh, but is HotAir essentially saying STFU – the tent isn’t big enough – to the Republican Liberty Caucus (endorsed Kokesh), Students for Liberty and other groups? Ok.

Firefly_76 on March 13, 2010 at 1:22 PM

CF: Would you vote for the health care bill?
TM: No.

CF: Do you approve or disapprove of the abortion funding in the bill?

so in other words…. he’s in favor of the government telling you what you can and cannot do with your own body… does no one see the irony in these two answers?

Kaptain Amerika on March 13, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Kaptain Amerika

. . . like Leftoids who scream about a woman’s body rights – but have no problem with the rationing of health care and death panels?

honsy on March 13, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Don’t know how those lines got into my last posting. Musta hit some button by mistake.

honsy on March 13, 2010 at 1:41 PM

viviliberoomuori on March 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I didn’t imply that at all.

They got lumped in with CODEPINK and A.N.S.W.E.R.

ernesto on March 13, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I agree with Kokesh.

Bush, Rove, and Rumsfeld are the anti-American traitors who lied us into war (don’t act like that’s debatable) and desecrated the country’s image around the world.

The Dean on March 13, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Firefly_76 on March 13, 2010 at 1:22 PM

It’s only big enough for Neo-Kristolites. Don’t fall for it when they pretend otherwise. The “Big tent” is a ruse. Deep down nobody believes it. The Establishment doesn’t want me in the party any more, and I’d do away with them. I don’t have the power now, but eventually we will.

The Dean on March 13, 2010 at 2:22 PM

At what point do we call Ron Paul and his drones flack for Obama and his drones?

RobCon on March 13, 2010 at 2:22 PM

RobCon

How about starting from now? They are as rational as the Kos kids.

honsy on March 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Nicely done Cassy! Thank you!

margategop517 on March 13, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Nice sentiments but he is an economic moron who would have preferred our banking and insurance sectors collapse entirely rather than have the government intervene. His kids would have a lot more to worry about if our banking and financial markets were allowed to fail.

lexhamfox on March 13, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Kokesh’s website claims endorsement by “912candidates.org”. So other than having a familiar-sounding domain name, who are they? From their website, it seems like you can self-list yourself if you fill out a questionaire:

There may be those who will sign this document who consider their sacred honor of little value, and tread heavily over it. Our process for announcing 9/12 Candidates does not accurately “vet” such candidates, nor will we attempt to construct a process which does.

So they wash their hands of the deal, but Kokesh still gets the benefit of their tea-partyish-sounding name for his website. Sigh. Am I wrong?

bofh on March 13, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I am working tirelessly to get the word out.Please good people of NM……do not let this happen.
Tom: if you win……..do not let us down!

MooreMom on March 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM

The Dean on March 13, 2010 at 2:22 PM

They laughed at our brilliance, and called us insane, kooks, nut jobs. But we shall have the last laugh, won’t we now. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.

RINO in Name Only on March 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Kokesh never had a chance in hell, even without the blogosphere commenting on him.

V-rod on March 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Is there a name for False Flag politicians?

atadOFF on March 13, 2010 at 9:14 PM

The Dean on March 13, 2010 at 2:19 PM

From the coward wing of the Republican Party. I would pay money to meet you in real life and debate you over your very convenient positions of isolationism and how they dovetail with your ilk’s selfish fears of being asked to defend your nation. There’s always an excuse, huh?

And you’re right, you’re so far to the right, you’re left and I can’t see any good use for you in the Republican Party except to sabotage 2012 by getting Ron Paul nominated. I’ll sit that one out and watch Obama get elected again. I wouldn’t vote Paul if one of you guys held a gun to my head. But then, you all seem to be afraid of guns anyways.

hawkdriver on March 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Kaptain Amerika on March 13, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Your comment made zero sense.

hawkdriver on March 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM

If he wasn’t pulling a scam by running as a Republican, no one would know this piece of trash even exists. I am sure the brainwashed lemmings in the MSM will help him all they can. BOYCOTT THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA. Without finamcial support they will cease to exist.

volsense on March 14, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Your comment made zero sense.

hawkdriver on March 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM

I didn’t mean that to sound so curt. I just meant I didn’t understand your comment. Sorry.

hawkdriver on March 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Obama: “I won, so the law is what I say it is (and show me some respect….I’m your King…..bow before me!)”

olesparkie on March 15, 2010 at 7:58 AM