Pelosi: ObamaCare will make it much easier to be a full-time artist

posted at 5:21 pm on March 12, 2010 by Allahpundit

Not a bad pitch. Thanks to the economic genius of Barack Obama, a lot of us are going to be “full-time artists” soon.

So, you can‘t—everybody has so much to gain from this, small businesses, as I said, seniors, young people, women, our economy. Think of an economy where people could be an artist or a photographer or a writer without worrying about keeping their day job in order to have health insurance or that people could start a business and be entrepreneurial and take risk, but not job loss because of a child with asthma or someone in the family is bipolar—you name it, any condition—is job locking.

Follow the link for MKH’s musings on who’ll be paying to cover America’s hipsters while they flounce off to follow their bliss. I was under the impression that O-Care would force everyone to purchase insurance — on pain of prison — unless they were too impoverished to afford it. Does that apply to Soul Patch too, or does he get to choose impoverishment by opting against gainful employment so that he can stay home and paint “Moonrise Over Williamsburg” or whatever? I honestly don’t know how Pelosi got to where she is being as bad of a retail politician as she is. This idiocy may play well in San Francisco, but she’s been a national figure for four years now. (Longer if you count her role as minority leader.) When do the many, many Democrats who obsess about “branding” and “messaging” pull her aside to gently suggest that sacrifice, not self-indulgence, might be a smarter talking point in the midst of a vicious recession?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hipster welfare….what an oxymoron.

reppac122 on March 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Given that my set of velvet paintings I purchased at a gas station are getting a little dated, this could be good.

WashJeff on March 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Follow your dreams, hippies!

flyawaybird on March 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I live near Yale. The wannabe artists hanging out at Starbucks should be jumping for joy right…about…now.

joejm65 on March 12, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Moonrise Over Williamsburg

dude, that’s like an actual painting, taint it?

ted c on March 12, 2010 at 5:25 PM

All dat sh!t would be possible if health insurance was not tied to your employer.

WashJeff on March 12, 2010 at 5:25 PM

This is precisely the greatest danger of ObamaCare. That people will simply stop working and we will have soviet style rationing of what the machines produce.

pedestrian on March 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Of course, she hasn’t factored in that if we all become full-time artists there will be no one left to pay for this horro

AmericanUnderground on March 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I swear, I’m dropping out and going Galt if this unconstitutional coup takes place.

It’s obvious we’re being led by morons who want nothing more than to enslave me to enforce their moral agenda. And now to even bypass the constitutional framework to cut whole peoples representatives out of the vote?

No way, no how, no more.

I will not go gladly into that good night.

Skywise on March 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM

My next million dollar oil painting on canvas will be:

“Moonbats over Miami”.

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM

This is great. I’ve been thinking about taking ballet lessons.

Mark1971 on March 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM

They should put duct tape around her head and stick her in the closet. She is such a ditz.

TXMomof3 on March 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM

San Franciso… a lovely city infested with morons.

katy the mean old lady on March 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I’ve got a little performance piece for all the Full Time Artists out there. I call it Human Pinata. Here, have some candy…

trubble on March 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Hahahahaha. The thought of paying for some skinny jean/wool knit cap/flannel/kaffiyeh wearing d-bag from Williamsburg makes me cringe.

Shock the Monkey on March 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Employment outlook for starving artists turns positive.

ICBM on March 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Here, have some candy…

trubble on March 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM

You must be one of those alternative artists? That sure isn’t candy coming out of that pinata!

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM

My next million dollar oil painting on canvas will be:

“Moonbats over Miami”.

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I’ll ship you some models for that.

katy the mean old lady on March 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Is a person considered bipolar if they are continuing alternating between “we have the votes” and “we don’t have the votes”? Or is that just an artist at work?

Spirit of 1776 on March 12, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Nancy sucks.

Denverslim on March 12, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Pass the popcorn.

Half of the population is worried about spending cuts and the other half wants everything paid for, and delivered by, the government.

How long have these stupid whining remarks been passing?

Remember the campaign. The One’s mom chased her dream then found herself with a preexisting condition. And it feel to her son, barely four years out of Harvard Law, to try and cope with the evil of our healthcare system.

And He got elected, in case you forgot.

IlikedAUH2O on March 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I’ll ship you some models for that.

katy the mean old lady on March 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Are you kidding? I already have the “Alaskan Girdwood Hippies on Parade” collage. I just need a pic… the models will just loaf around in aimless circles trying to pet a moose or something and then getting stomped.

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Speaking of Pelosi, here’s video of her extolling the virtues of “family planning” services as reducing babies and hence reducing costs to the government – just like they told Stupak today.

Contraception To Help Economy?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tells ABC News she expects contraception to assist in reviving the economy.
By News Video
Monday, January 26, 2009

Anti-Harkonnen Freedom Fighter on March 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Pelosi must be worried about the starving artists that filled every Wal-Mart, K-Mart and parking lot with Obama paintings right after the elections.

fourdeucer on March 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM

We’ll all be trust fund babies !!!

Yeah !!!

BowHuntingTexas on March 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM

You know what Nancy needs during these interviews, Steny Hoyer playing Bongos in the back ground. Nancy wings off one her brilliant observations and Steny follows it with a small bongo rift.

WashJeff on March 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Is there a way to get a list of what words are now being moderated?

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Moonrise Over Williamsburg

dude, that’s like an actual painting, taint it?

ted c on March 12, 2010 at 5:25 PM

It’s a mediocre photo that someone felt the need to name.

forest on March 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM

everybody has so much to gain from this

I know, huh? Totally! I mean, it’s free money!!!

sandberg on March 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Something tells me that artists will get the free care but, for some bureaucratic reason, entrepreneurs will not.

Kafir on March 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I bet those artist are going to be the first ones lining up for free health care, you know they don’t make enough to pay for it from the money they earn.

Brat4life on March 12, 2010 at 5:33 PM

…and the hole in the wall–next to my head–gets a little bigger…

lovingmyUSA on March 12, 2010 at 5:33 PM

pedestrian on March 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM

As someone pointed out in a forum today (maybe HA, not sure), at least we can take some solace in knowing that the Soviet Union eventually collapsed. We know how this charade will end, for what it’s worth…

joejm65 on March 12, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I AM a full time artist. I have been for about 15 years, and the LAST thing I want is for these inept fools to run MY health care.

Daddy-O on March 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I hear that art sucks more when artists are fed. Why are we feeding them again?

moochers.

ted c on March 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Prison or art school.

Looks like we’re in need of another panel.

ROCnPhilly on March 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Crazy is as crazy does.

David2.0 on March 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Kafir on March 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM

So if an Artist sells their (insert whatever artistic expression here) they are now entrepreneurs? Hmmm, this could work!

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

This broad reminds me of my dead Aunt who was from California. Everytime she’s get a snoot full, she’d whip out her boobs and start singing show tunes.

This is why I cannot respect the specimen of the House.

Key West Reader on March 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

It will make going Galt much easier, too.

bitsy on March 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Utopia Mural Works, LLC getting its first “grant” soon…..

ted c on March 12, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Wait, that’s not the whole story San Fran Nan. Let’s give the complete picture!

Think of an economy where you’re free to do whatever you want because other people are paying your bills. You could pursue that dream of being a performance artist or you could just lie around watching soaps all day because you’re sticking the hard working shlub down the road with the check either way. And if you burdened with a child that may end with asthma or a bipolar condition – no worries! Abortion will be free and maybe we can harvest the unborn child’s stem cells to keep you healthy and your skin nice and taut.

PackerBronco on March 12, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Art Czar in 3…2….1….

Art Unions just a tick ahead of that…..

ted c on March 12, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Whooops!

Looks like Beck was right. Listen to this stuff for long enough and blood shoots out your eyes.

Ugh. What a mess….

ROCnPhilly on March 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Simple. Her father was Thomas D’Alesandro, Jr., a Democratic Congressman and mayor of Baltimore. Here brother was mayor, too. Her brother was a member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. And she’s a millionaire liberal in San Francisco.

amerpundit on March 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

…and the hole in the wall–next to my head–gets a little bigger…

lovingmyUSA on March 12, 2010 at 5:33 PM

you do know your supposed to suck what comes through the hole, right? That’s how glory holes work

Doctor Zhivago on March 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Key West Reader on March 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Pretty impressive if she did that while she was dead. Ba-dum-bum. :-)

joejm65 on March 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Yep, sounds like straight up Marxism to me.

Sounds nice, but the reality is different. Besides, we’re already supporting more than enough wannabe artistes, musicians, thespians, star athletes and so on-and those are the ones that actually have some modicum of ambition!

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Awesome. Out here in Oregon we’re already infested with “entrepreneurial” hippies who make their “living” selling hemp bracelets at the farmer’s market. It’s about time you people in sensible states started kicking in your fair share for these hippies’ upkeep.

innominatus on March 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Moon Over Williamsburg is a little better than Moonrise over Williamsburg. Someone get this guy some free medical insurance – stat!

And another
. subsidize this one too.

And a video!

How did these people ever get this fantastic work done without me paying for their meds for them.

forest on March 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Key West Reader on March 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

one day, the photos and video from the 2009 Winter Festivus for the Restivus Party will be released…..starring Nancy….and maybe Rielle and the Silky Pony too.

ted c on March 12, 2010 at 5:38 PM

And she’s a millionaire liberal in San Francisco.
amerpundit on March 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

You forgot to mention that she’s notorious for hiring non-union labor, yet managed to snag a Cesar Chavez award from the United Farm Workers. She’s a magician, I tell ya…

joejm65 on March 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Skywise on March 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Is it possible to convert to be Amish? Hmmm, is that ‘Amishism’? :-)

Firefly_76 on March 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM

ted c on March 12, 2010 at 5:38 PM

eww. Not just no.. HECK NO!

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Pretty impressive if she did that while she was dead. Ba-dum-bum. :-)

joejm65 on March 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

She did it before she was dead. Twas nasty.

Key West Reader on March 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM

can I get a pet artist to paint me some sh!t.

Hey, you, get on out there and work on that garage. I want Rocky on the left wall, and Reagan on the right wall. Get to it you little beatch or no soup for you!

ted c on March 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Key West Reader on March 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I’m gonna need lifetime free comprehensive medical care to overcome that mental image of SanFran Nan

Chris_Balsz on March 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM

great now all the junkies can just live in rehab and pursue their art……

I’d call her a pea brain … but why insult pea brains.

roflmao

donabernathy on March 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Just came back from a trip to 7 more states.That makes 45 in the last 8 months.I am here to tell you that there is a wave building out there the likes of something this country has never seen.The political class in D.C. has no idea of whats coming there way.People are informed and know exactly what there jerks are trying to pull off.This anger may not wait until nov.if these fools pass this Obama care.I don,t know in what way this anger will manifest it,s self but people it,s not going to be pretty.I will only say revolution is coming.What kind of revolution i,m not sure.

thmcbb on March 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Hey! I’m a full-time artist, will this be retroactive?! WOOHOO!

robblefarian on March 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Homer Simpson says, “Mmmmm …. I smell a GRAVY train!”

fred5678 on March 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM

She did it before she was dead. Twas nasty.
Key West Reader on March 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I know. Was ribbing the way you wrote it. That said, Auntie boobies = not cool.

joejm65 on March 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I have to add that my awakening to the debilitating nature of the socialist state occured 25 years ago. I was working iin Scotland as a bartender on a 6 month temporary work permit (it was an exchange b/w the U.S. and Great Britain.) Anyway, one of my coworkers – a Britain, suddenly quit his job.

I talk to him afterwards and in the naivety of my youth, I figured he would only quit his job when he had another job to go to – or would soon be looking for a new job. No chance! He was going to take some time off and go to the contient for slum around for a while. “So you have some money saved up” I asked (once again showing my naivity. “Nah, ” he replied, “I don’t got anything saved up. But I can live off the dole while I’m traveling.”

He thought this was all very natural and that it was the state’s responsibility to ensure that he have a good time. Which of course means, it was the responsibility of his fellow citizens to fund his vacation.

PackerBronco on March 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Pelosi: Obamacare is “job unlocking” for all aspiring Freddy The Freeloaders

doctor horton on March 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Nancy, Harry, and Barry howling at the Moon T-shirt

“Three Moonbat Wolves”

I can haz artcare.

Christien on March 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I think she’s imagining thousands of Labor Volunteers painting a mural of Obama Blessing The World over the faces on Mt Rushmore

Chris_Balsz on March 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Rush was all over this today. He was ticked off, to say the least.

Not verbatim, but basically what he boils it down to, and what we all already know is…..we get to work hard, and give up over half of our earnings, so others can sit on their arses, and collect a nice living. We get to fund their dreams! UGH!!!!

So what it will end up being is….liberals sit, conservatives work!

capejasmine on March 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Why do democrats elect imbeciles?

daesleeper on March 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

…and the hole in the wall–next to my head–gets a little bigger…

lovingmyUSA on March 12, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Doctor Zhivago on March 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

That is just wrong on so many levels.

TXMomof3 on March 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM

liberals sit, conservatives work!

capejasmine on March 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

So, we are the Eloi about to be eaten by the Morlocks? Joy.

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Why do are democrats elect imbeciles?

daesleeper on March 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

make mo’ sense now.?

ted c on March 12, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I have a mortgage and a family to support..does that make me ‘job locked’, too Comrade Party Chairperson?

Fer christ sake..this is just too much.

DrW on March 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM

The Democrats have plenty of full-time scam artists in Congress… and they want it to be easier?

malclave on March 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Thank you for all of the great laughs – these comments are the best I have seen in one group!

tru2tx on March 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Not unless the ‘artists’ can make money selling paintings of the horrors of a state monopoly to outsiders.

Dark-Star on March 12, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Let me C…

I bust hump to make a living… take care of me, my own and a couple of other to boot… now it’s don’t disturb the Ar’tiste….

bwhahahahahahahahahahah

roflmao

donabernathy on March 12, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I was under the impression that it would force everyone to purchase insurance — on pain of prison — unless they were too impoverished to afford it.

Prison was the best thing to happen to the career of artist Alfredo Martinez.

chunderroad on March 12, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I heard this earlier today and I thought it was a joke. I really did. It is just so hard to believe that the Speaker of the House of the United States could be this ridiculous.

But she is, she really this ridiculous. And more.

Terrye on March 12, 2010 at 5:49 PM

So wait, does this mean I need three jobs now?

reaganaut on March 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I’m quitting my job and am going to be a blogger now that i can has health insurance.

Well, right after they pass Universal Electric Service, and Universal Water Service, and Universal Car Ownership, and Universal Home Ownership, and Universal Trash Pickup, and Universal Food Care, and Universal WiFi, and Universal McDonalds, and Universal Dog Food, and Universal Guns and Ammo, and Universalm Car Care, and Universal MovieTime, and Universal Pool Membership, and Universal Vacation Time, and

davidk on March 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Y’know though. This does explain Pelosi’s strange comment the other day that ObamaCare will create millions and millions of jobs. In Nan’s mind, millions of people will now be able to pursue their dreams as artists, musicians, etc. because they won’t have to worry about making a living. The state will handle the health care and the rest is just gravy. So yeah, they’ll be imbecilic wards of the state, but they’ll be “working” (or not as they wish.)

These morons need a bracing shot of reality.

PackerBronco on March 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM

as I said, seniors, young people, women, our economy

I guess that leaves laid off 46 year old males just as f**k’d after this passes as we are now…swell.

bernzright777 on March 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Rush was all over this today. He was ticked off, to say the least.

capejasmine on March 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Heard that. And I am incredibly pissed off over it. I can’t even think straight.

Oh, and AllahPundit, congrats on the Rush mention today.

rbj on March 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Gotta give it to them…

ram n the student loan program thru with this….. Gives Professional Student a whole new meaning….. I’t back to school for me..

donabernathy on March 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM

i’m going to Williamsburg tomorrow. that is Williamsburg VA–you know, Geo Washington, Thos Jefferson, James Madison–those guys. patriots.

kelley in virginia on March 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Don’t worry! Follow your dreams! Somebody else will pay your bills! Who? Taxpayers who are responsible!

Why keep working then? Why not all of us just drop out and drop in, dude? I’ve always wanted to be an author for a living, if the government will just take care of all of my needs, I guess I can!

No, no, you can’t stop working! You can’t drop out too! Your taxes support me, dude! If you don’t keep up those 60 hours a week to handle the new taxes, I’ll have to work too, man!

PastorJon on March 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I am a full time artist, self-employed without healthcare, just spent 4 days in the hospital, and I still do not want Obamacare. I do believe that improvements need to be made in healthcare coverage, but not the “improvements” that the Dems want. They don’t care about “improvements” – they just want to have more control over our lives. I will say the hospital would have charged me substantially more had I had insurance. (Of course, that is one reason why insurance premiums are so high). So yes, there are areas that need to be reworked, but not the Dem way. When Harry Reid said “this was about the people” – I really almost choked…What a farce. This must be STOPPED.

texasaggie on March 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Do you know how much of the internet was built by San Francisco ‘hipsters’? Anyone working for HotAir knows better.

bayam on March 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Just a thought. In Hollywood, they consider what they do….art. Does this mean they won’t have to pay into the system while they live out their lavish dreams, of partying, and making movies that suck? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

capejasmine on March 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Oh, and AllahPundit, congrats on the Rush mention today.

rbj on March 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Can we place bets if that will be part of the QOTD?

OT: Just heard an advertisement during Medved’s show for HotAir.

WashJeff on March 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM

You listen to what comes flying out of this woman’s mouth and you honestly have to wonder if she herself is listening to what she is saying!

She does not have one iota of a clue, does she? She is that dense!

pilamaye on March 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM

there is universal Electric care coming your way. my congressman, Dem Perriello, 5th CD Va, is introducing a bill that lets people have energy savings accts where their energy needs are financed.

er, who does the financing? yeah, I know the govt. does the financing, but who pays the govt?

they don’t get it.

kelley in virginia on March 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I’ve got a follow up piece involving a full time con artist named Barak Obama. I call it, “Pin the Tail on the Jackass”.

trubble on March 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Fancy Nan is a full time transparent Bull S$$t artist and she has a better health plan than we’ll ever see.
What a talent, what a country.

ontherocks on March 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM

bayam on March 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Oh Lord. Nancy would you like a cookie.

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM

San Franciso… a lovely city infested with morons.

katy the mean old lady on March 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM

..Katy, apparently you have not been panhandled
to death on Market by the sterno bums with the bottles of Sneaky Pete in the paper bag or taken a stroll down Castro or been caught in the middle of those incessant demonstrations. It is the most over-rated city in the world..

..and this is from a die-hard Giants and Niners’ fan.

VoyskaPVO on March 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM

“Piss Christ Pelosi”

Christien on March 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM

…and the hole in the wall–next to my head–gets a little bigger…

lovingmyUSA on March 12, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Doctor Zhivago on March 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

That is just wrong on so many levels.

TXMomof3 on March 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Wasn’t gonna touch that line with a ten foot pole…

oh wait…which reminds me–are pole dancers and hookers considered “arteests”

lovingmyUSA on March 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM

trubble on March 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Lets put ‘es’ on the end of that donkey and include the entire political D.C. arena?

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM