Pelosi: ObamaCare will make it much easier to be a full-time artist

posted at 5:21 pm on March 12, 2010 by Allahpundit

Not a bad pitch. Thanks to the economic genius of Barack Obama, a lot of us are going to be “full-time artists” soon.

So, you can‘t—everybody has so much to gain from this, small businesses, as I said, seniors, young people, women, our economy. Think of an economy where people could be an artist or a photographer or a writer without worrying about keeping their day job in order to have health insurance or that people could start a business and be entrepreneurial and take risk, but not job loss because of a child with asthma or someone in the family is bipolar—you name it, any condition—is job locking.

Follow the link for MKH’s musings on who’ll be paying to cover America’s hipsters while they flounce off to follow their bliss. I was under the impression that O-Care would force everyone to purchase insurance — on pain of prison — unless they were too impoverished to afford it. Does that apply to Soul Patch too, or does he get to choose impoverishment by opting against gainful employment so that he can stay home and paint “Moonrise Over Williamsburg” or whatever? I honestly don’t know how Pelosi got to where she is being as bad of a retail politician as she is. This idiocy may play well in San Francisco, but she’s been a national figure for four years now. (Longer if you count her role as minority leader.) When do the many, many Democrats who obsess about “branding” and “messaging” pull her aside to gently suggest that sacrifice, not self-indulgence, might be a smarter talking point in the midst of a vicious recession?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

OT: Just heard an advertisement during Medved’s show for HotAir.

WashJeff on March 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Salem Communications. HotAir is going corporate — but that’s a good thing. I love private business.

rbj on March 12, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Pelosi thinks we can run the country on a Star Trek economy:

“The economics of the future is somewhat different. You see, money doesn’t exist in the 24th century… The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity.”

I can’t wait until she proposes a government research program to produce replicator technology.

Socratease on March 12, 2010 at 6:01 PM

You know…

It is just amazing that everything that they are saying to try to sell this socialistic nightmare is pure bovine fecal matter.

Nothing, I mean NOTHING is the truth and they are trying to “talk” us into how good it will be, just pass it.

No one has read it, no one knows exactly what deals have been struck, no one knows the actual true cost and the change to our society this will cause…

… If they go down this road, I hope the “Law of Unintended Consequences” is swift and painful for all those involved.

Seven Percent Solution on March 12, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Lets put ‘es’ on the end of that donkey and include the entire political D.C. arena?

upinak on March 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM

No Problem, tails are easy to make. Now where did I leave the staple guns…

trubble on March 12, 2010 at 6:04 PM

This woman is nuts.

Line 29 on the 2009 Federal 1040 Form is called “Self-employed health insurance deduction.” It’s one of the adjustments to gross income, and allowed in addition to the usual deductions (interest, charitable contributions, etc.) you list on Schedule A. It’s been available for many years.

Emperor Norton on March 12, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Think of an economy where people could be an artist

A bullshit artist, probably.

Niko on March 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM

The American taxpayer may be wondering whether Pelosi thinks of these pleasing attentions toward full-time artist proceed from the impulse of the moment, or are they a result of previous study? Nancy “scattergoods” Pelosi seems to consistantly give such a plethora indignation about her causes and why can’t we understand her positions, it has to make even the open minded citizens wonder, “who does she think she is speaking for now?” Who else does she think is entitled to a free ride? Oh wait, illegal aliens through a pro-amnesty bill, right Senator Graham?

Americannodash on March 12, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Pelosi has said this before. Link.

terryannonline on March 12, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Good point, AP. The Senate bill does levy the individual mandate to purchase insurance, so if you’re not employed and don’t make enough from your artistic endeavors to buy insurance, you’ll definitely be a health-care welfare queen.

We can only assume Pelosi is advocating going on welfare, as something that will be extra-specially enticing with O/P/R-care.

Since the Senate bill requires you to pay a $750 fine if you have income and don’t buy insurance ($2200 for a family), it won’t really be easier to go into business for yourself. The cost of doing that will actually increase.

So she’s not only nutty, she’s, um, confused about the truth.

J.E. Dyer on March 12, 2010 at 6:12 PM

That’s it… I’m quitting my job and tossing out my education because I’ve always wanted to balloon artist. The only thing that was holding me back from working kids parties and lingering around the local Chuck-E-Cheese was that I couldn’t afford health-care. I’m selling my house too. Kids, find a new way to finance college. Honey, where are my balloons and my clown suit?

Claypigeon on March 12, 2010 at 6:12 PM

It’s fascinating that Pelosi can get away spewing communist propaganda and nobody calls her on it.

Skywise on March 12, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Gee, Nancy, what a wonderful world it will be when the streets of San Francisco are even more clogged with “artists” having their STDs and other social diseases taken care of by the taxpayers!

onlineanalyst on March 12, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Do you know how much of the internet was built by San Francisco ‘hipsters’? Anyone working for HotAir knows better.

Al Gore isn’t from San Fran.

But seriously – that is completely incorrect. Just because they may have moved near Silicon Valley at some point, doesn’t mean they are from San Fran. The list is wide and varied, from SoCal to Europe, Midwest, East Coast, etc…

reaganaut on March 12, 2010 at 6:17 PM

ObamaCare will make it much easier to be a full-time artist

How do you spell NEA , Nancy ?

macncheez on March 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Sounds like Pelosi just nailed the reason why so many artists, actors, musicians, etc. are such die-hard liberals.

Caiwyn on March 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM

If this bill passes,
You’d have to be a fool to
Bust your ass working…

People will drop out.
Why keep working every day,
Just to pay taxes?

Haiku Guy on March 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM

She does not have one iota of a clue, does she? She is that dense!

pilamaye on March 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM

It’s all that medicinal pot. Eventually….it made her all……….stupid!

capejasmine on March 12, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Jeez Louise… As if weren’t already tough enough being a conservative artist. There will be no shutting them up at the gallery.

Fallon on March 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM

IF DEMOCRATS WERE SMART, THEY’D PULL PELOSI ASIDE AND SAY “STFU!”

GarandFan on March 12, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I want to pull the lever of the gallows that ends her

Viper1 on March 12, 2010 at 6:37 PM

So wait, does this mean I need three jobs now?

reaganaut on March 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Lots of dabblers are counting on you! Heh!

This all reminds me of the Nixon re-election ad from 1972 featuring the hardhat construction worker, obviously working on a tall building, and precariously balanced on a girder having lunch.

A background announcer said that candidate George McGovern wanted to give everyone in America a check for $1,000.00 (the “demogrant” program), to which the worker initially nodded, as if thinking that it might be nice to get a check for a cool grand.

Then, as I recall the announcer cited a few figures and then asked who the worker thinks is going to pay for all of that? Then you can see as it suddenly dawned on the guy that he would be footing the bill.

His expression suddenly changed. It was priceless.

The moment I saw that ad, I realized that McGovern was absolute toast. And that, even though he came across as a likable enough guy. Nixon certainly never came across as likable. But McGovern’s campaign was over!

I thought at the time that no nationwide Democrat political figure would ever again come up with anything quite as stupid. Boy, was I wrong!

But this latest comment by Pelosi simply takes the cake. Who knows . . . maybe it is the depth of the political desperation they must be feeling about now that drives them to say such stupid things. Like throwing anything out there, just to see if anyone salutes.

What a moron!

Trochilus on March 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Wow, “imagine a society…” This is pure dorm-room pot-cloud fantasy. From the Senate majority leader. Amazing we’re still a nation…

Hannibal Smith on March 12, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Pelosi is without a doubt the dumbest pile of pulsating protoplasm in the free world and beyond. Good lord this woman is stupid.

rplat on March 12, 2010 at 7:12 PM

That woman is just creepy.

hulbstar on March 12, 2010 at 7:18 PM

This broad reminds me of my dead Aunt who was from California. Everytime she’s get a snoot full, she’d whip out her boobs and start singing show tunes.

This is why I cannot respect the specimen of the House.

Key West Reader on March 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I wonder what Botoxed boobies look like.

Aviator on March 12, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I think I shall become an artist. And who shall I paint? A portrait of the worst person to ever have “served” our government…Pelosi. It won’t be pretty.

scalleywag on March 12, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Nancy got the idea from Sweden, where artists can get a “lifetime stipend” to make work no one wants to buy (although it looks like some of them are having second thoughts). Because it’s not FAIR they have to work a day job to eat.

They wouldn’t have any ideas at all if they couldn’t crib off socialist Europe.

Radish on March 12, 2010 at 7:51 PM

That is the way it works in Great Britian. If you are a “layabout” and don’t want to work, they rent you a house, give you food, clothing, spending money for entertainment, oh, and health insurance.

It just so happens that I am an artist. So how is that going to work. I get free “basic” health care that will be all but useless to me, but to get it free I have to sell everything, give the proceeds away and live in a rat trap where I guess I will feel so good about getting free “basic ” healthcare that I will paint master pieces and maybe just cut off an ear to make a statement at how happy I am.

Franklyn on March 12, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Oh, yeah, I’m in too. Contemplating one’s navel beachside is an art form isn’t it?

Robert17 on March 12, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Nancy’s spot on, baby!

It requires an eye for talent, but I for one am sick and tired of having my pizzas delivered by the next Michelangelo and/or Dostoevsky.

It’s un-American.

David2.0 on March 12, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Crazy Retarded Aunt Nancy

For those of you who thought Crazy Aunt Nancy would never leave anything of value to our society, stand down. This one tortured sentence may do more for civic education and language than the entire works of Hamilton.

And with that thought I hereby pledge this sentence to the Hillsdale College Political Science department, the University of Notre Dame English department, and the Harvard University Economics department.

Rarely has one sentence said so much.

Jaibones on March 12, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Last time I heard mindless, incoherent blather like this was from a Miss Teen USA contestant. At least THAT was excusable.

stevezilla on March 12, 2010 at 9:58 PM

The easier she makes it to be an artist, the more bad art will flood the market.

snaggletoothie on March 12, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Gee, soon I’ll be able to pursue my dream of becoming a full time blogger :-)

MJBrutus on March 13, 2010 at 8:31 AM

I think Pelosi does not even understand the health bill.

If an artist, photographer or musician makes any money they must buy insurance. If they don’t make any money then having welfare health care is not going to pay the rent, utilities or canvas and paint brushes.

albill on March 13, 2010 at 9:05 AM

When I heard this piece I finally have proof that Nanny Fullofit has finally lost it and is ready to use the portion of Obama Care dealing with those who need serious intervention.

MSGTAS on March 13, 2010 at 9:43 AM