CNN thoughtfully writes glowing press release for Coffee Party launch tomorrow

posted at 7:01 pm on March 12, 2010 by Allahpundit

Tomorrow’s the day they start taking back America, one Sanka at a time. Think I’m kidding about the press release? See for yourself and tell me how, in any material respect, it differs from something the CP organizers would have written themselves. Obligatory obfuscation of the group’s partisan leanings? Check.

They’re professionals, musicians and housewives. They’re frustrated liberal activists, disheartened conservatives and political newborns. They’re young and old, rich and poor, black, white and all shades of other…

This new group calls for civility, objects to obstructionism and demands that politicians be held accountable to the people who put them in office.

Flattering comparison to the tea party movement? Check.

The self-described libertarian and fiscal conservative was, and in some ways still is, a supporter of the Tea Party. He initially backed Sen. John McCain for president in 2008 and isn’t, himself, comfortable with the idea of a public option in the health-care system. But the direction Oxford has seen the Tea Party take recently has him concerned.

He can’t help but think it’s being hijacked by social conservatives and the far right, he said, and as a gay man who’s committed to gay rights, it may not be his cup of political tea.

Moronic touting of the number of fans their Facebook page has? Check.

Born on Facebook just six weeks ago, the group boasts more than 110,000 fans, as of Friday morning. The Coffee Party is billed by many as an answer to the Tea Party (more than 1,000 fewer fans), a year-old protest movement that’s steeped in fiscal conservatism and boiling-hot, anti-tax rhetoric.

To put that in perspective, there are 1.2 million fans for Baby Megatron. But as I say, follow the link and see for yourself how eager the media is to boost this Democratic kaffeeklatsch as a full-blown rival to tea partiers. Oh, and be sure to check out the videos embedded on the page too. The “artistic expression” one is spun gold.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Coffee Party: Bitter, over-priced, and bad for children.

AaronGuzman on March 12, 2010 at 8:39 PM

F.A.I.L.

RobertInLexington on March 12, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Coffee Party? Seriously? It is a joke.

Tea Party = founded on an actual historic event that helped form our country.
Coffee Party = founded just to opposed the Tea Party.

Tea Party = founded by millions of grassroots conservatives frustrated with BOTH parties.
Coffee Party = founded by a kool-aid drinking Obama supporter.

Tea Party = inclusive
Coffee Party = contrarian

Here’s a video of my thoughts on the topic:

cannonball on March 12, 2010 at 8:44 PM

The Mystery Monkey of Tampa Bay has over 12,000 fans on FaceBook and he is just a monkey.

Bicyea on March 12, 2010 at 8:32 PM

They need to make a “Can this Mystery Monkey of Tampa Bay get more fans than obama” page…..

The goat has many, many fans….he’s catching up to obama. ;)

HornetSting on March 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Having worked in a newsroom, I’ll say this doesn’t surprise me in the least. This is what amounts to journalism anymore: A press release comes across the editor’s desk and if it’s something they have a particular bias toward, they’ll run the story. And the “story” will just be a plagiarized version of the release.

We have no press anymore; just mouthpieces for one special interest or the other.

NoLeftTurn on March 12, 2010 at 8:56 PM

The media really HATES us, don’t they?

Firefly_76 on March 12, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Just making certain that “Astroturf” appears on this page of the comments section.

liberty0 on March 12, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Is the coffee party exclusively made up of trust fund kids?

daesleeper on March 12, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Espresso- elites
Cappucino= commies
Mocha- marxists
Frappe-frumpies
Latte- liberals
Asstroturfy A-Holes

macncheez on March 12, 2010 at 9:07 PM

This is like when newspapers print an advertisement in the style of one of their regular articles, except that they’re obliged to put “ADVERTISEMENT” at the top. Only CNN didn’t feel any such obligation.

Sharke on March 12, 2010 at 9:15 PM

How will Keefums comment if only WHITE people show up?

GarandFan on March 12, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I see they have a fake libertarian on board. Does anyone know if Bill Maher’s signed up yet too?

Sharke on March 12, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I am so f-ing sick of tea partiers being categorized as all having the same views on everything.

Monica on March 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Washington Post, NY Times, CNN all pushing. Interesting.

Which major news companies need a bailout?

Which President desperately needs a propaganda crusade?

uknowmorethanme on March 12, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Accordi to their website, they are a “crowd sourcing” project. that is so web 2.0!

Vincenzo on March 12, 2010 at 9:45 PM

If these fools want to take votes away from the Dems so we can waltz in with a reformed GOP, I say….

gimme a triple mocha latte skinny white low-fat half-sugar other half Splenda ventisimo baby.

Sapwolf on March 12, 2010 at 9:59 PM

macncheez on March 12, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Yeah, I’ll 1 Vente Mocha Marxist and 2 Grande Cappuccino Commies please.

FontanaConservative on March 12, 2010 at 9:59 PM

You know what would be funny?

Me tossing my empty AK-47 at them and watching shrieks, faints, spilled coffee and a complete Starbuck’s-WIDE meltdown.

UBETCHA!

Sapwolf on March 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM

How odd that these coffee peeps, CNN, and the NYT are all quite chummy. Wait until Pelosi & Hoyer calls them “un-American”….

TN Mom on March 12, 2010 at 10:21 PM

How do they expect the minority Party to oppose anything on ideologicalcoffee grounds?

FIFY

sweet pea on March 12, 2010 at 10:47 PM

This is not a grassroots organization but a highly interconnected group of Obamabots. Take a look at the major players and their connections/funding:

onlineanalyst on March 12, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Shout out to the Coffee Party! Take it to the streets. Let’s see what you’ve got. Put up or shut up.

exdeadhead on March 12, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Why do I sense that there is always a bong not far away from the coffee maker.

RobCon on March 12, 2010 at 8:05 PM

The ‘Coffee Pot Party!’

sweet pea on March 12, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Call it what it is….the coffee movement….

The reuse/recycle your used toilet paper party.

HornetSting on March 12, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Goes right along with the, ‘Bow Movement President.’

sweet pea on March 12, 2010 at 11:44 PM

C’mon Allah – CNN is more in the tank for them than Fox is for the Tea Party?

Enough tankin’ to go around….

AprilOrit on March 13, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Not to give this garbage anymore credibility than it deserves, but I will say this: The Tea Party protest that I witnessed on Apr 15 of last year brought me to tears. I still cannot describe the absolute pride I felt for my fellow countrymen knowing that liberty was not going to die, that America would live on despite the dire circumstances of the day, as I stood there and watched the glorious flags wave in front of the Alamo. The coffee party? meh, gives me indigestion.

long_cat on March 13, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Why do I sense that there is always a bong not far away from the coffee maker.

RobCon on March 12, 2010 at 8:05 PM

The ‘Coffee Pot Party!’

sweet pea on March 12, 2010 at 11:39 PM

You two got that right. Even Berkeley might run these moonies out of town.

Sapwolf on March 13, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Definitely fans of “Avatar”.

Sapwolf on March 13, 2010 at 12:38 AM

“Grounds in my coffee” is a phrase from a Carly Simon song that runs through my mind. This whole coffee party head fake is about as annoying as grounds in the last swig.

Give me a break with this effort to mainstream Onion News Network.

platypus on March 13, 2010 at 2:30 AM

The stout woman at the head of the table looks like your typical shiny eyed, batsh!t crazy liberal woman. Just saying.

Sharke on March 13, 2010 at 3:48 AM

“artistic expression?”
Oh my.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And just for the record, if someone from the TP side…(heh. TP) came up with a song that lame I’d be laughing again.

MT

Mistahtibbs on March 13, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Why do I sense that there is always a bong not far away from the coffee maker.

RobCon on March 12, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Surely you didn’t think they used regular water to brew the decaf did you ??

cableguy615 on March 13, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I know why the Coffee Party is trying to resemble the Tea Party. Members of the Coffee Party can not order Tea Frapped, with a double shot of Latte (J.D. in the a.m.), and cream half whipped.

Also, Coffee Party members are cultured enough to understand the nuances of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, nor that Tea in the afternoon is more culturally acceptable than a double shot of J.D. with a beer back.

MSGTAS on March 13, 2010 at 9:40 AM

All of this pales in comparison to the unabashed support and promotion of Tea Partiers by Fox News. So go ahead and whine, but please keep things in perspective. “

crr6 on March 13, 2010 at 9:46 AM

The Coffee Parties should go over really well, considering how many people will be paying attention to college basketball tournaments today.

William Teach on March 13, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I guess “Coffee Party” sounds nicer than “Communist Party”.

Squiggy on March 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM

All of this pales in comparison to the unabashed support and promotion of Tea Partiers by Fox News. So go ahead and I have come to this thread to whine like a little b**ch !, but please keep things in perspective.

crr666 on March 13, 2010 at 9:46 AM