Gibbs: What’s wrong with demagoging the Supreme Court during the State of the Union?

posted at 6:35 pm on March 11, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart. “I don’t know why they’d feel uncomfortable,” muses Gibbsy vis-a-vis The One lying shamelessly about a Court decision during a nationally televised speech while oafish Democrats surrounding the justices exploded in in-your-face applause. And no wonder: In the aftermath, our trusty media was more concerned about Alito’s alleged breach of etiquette in silently mouthing words than in what the Lamb of God actually said from the podium. Even here, true to form, they fail to press Gibbs on the fact that Obama lied.

Jan Crawford’s had enough:

For the life of me, I just don’t get why the White House continues to try to pick a fight with the Supreme Court. I’ve suggested before that perhaps it’s a sign President Obama intends to tap an outsider when John Paul Stevens retires, so he can beat the drum that the Court is out of touch with everyday Americans.

But after Chief Justice John Roberts made some entirely reasonable remarks yesterday — and White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs just had to respond — it’s now getting ridiculous.

Whether the White House has a short-term or long-term strategy or no strategy at all, it’s flat-out absurd and ill-advised for the administration to think it should always have the last word. It’s like my 6-year-old: “I don’t LIKE your idea. I like MY idea.”

Is it ill-advised? The One needs dragons to slay ahead of November to goose his base and remind the public that he’s still all about “changing Washington” or whatever. That was the point of the clumsy “fatcat bankers” populist pandering a few months ago and that’s the point of picking a fight with a right-wing Court that came down on the side of corporations in a campaign-finance case. It’s an exceedingly easy, exceedingly cheap way to score points, all the more so because the justices can’t really punch back. (Well, except Scalia.) More demagoguery, please.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What is wrong with “MF-ing” the SP? Is that the question Gibbs? Really? Can’t think of anything that could possibly go wrong with insulting nine judges that rule on your every big government agenda coming in front of them?

Well, let us just say Gibbs is going to have a real interesting learning curve for the next three years. As will Obama.

archer52 on March 11, 2010 at 10:12 PM

The fact that this tool doesn’t know why it’s wrong tells you everything you need to know about this administration.

AZCoyote on March 11, 2010 at 10:26 PM

It’s the slow end of the 52% that need to told about this administration, not anyone here.
And they need to be told to abandon their trusty MSM at the same time.

ontherocks on March 11, 2010 at 10:36 PM

“I don’t know why they’d feel uncomfortable,” muses Gibbsy

So, I’m wondering why anyone would give a crap about what Gibs knows or does not know about anything any member of the SCOTUS feels or does not feel. That comment is one of the most absurd, egocentric qoutes ever to come fro a press secretary. The function of the Supreme Court is not about what Robert Gibbs understands.

But aside from all that, I expect the comment WAS true. He probably really does not get it.

MikeA on March 11, 2010 at 10:37 PM

The way Obama lashes out and attacks American institutions, it makes it real easy to label him a radical anti-American ideologue, especially considering the many unsavory people Obama easily associates himself with. Marshall, Ayers, Wright, etc.

According to Obama, cops act stupidly; Doctors are greedy and unethical; same with bankers; Insurance companies are bad; America is arrogant; the Supreme Court sucks and on and on.

Hell, if you didn’t know better, you’d think his first name was Hugo.

OxyCon on March 11, 2010 at 10:38 PM

It’s like my 6-year-old: “I don’t LIKE your idea. I like MY idea.”

How odd: Turns out people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder are frozen at the emotional age of six.

That can’t be a co-inky-dink, can it?

dicentra63 on March 11, 2010 at 10:47 PM

So I take it your all against renaming the State of the Union To “The Presidential Hissy fit”?

DSchoen on March 11, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Because, like FDR, Obama see’s the Supreme Court as an impediment, not an equal branch.

Marxists destroy impediments any way they can.

Squiggy on March 12, 2010 at 6:31 AM

DSchoen on March 11, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Works for me. I hereby deem it so!

runawayyyy on March 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM

DSchoen on March 11, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Works for me. I hereby deem it so!

runawayyyy on March 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM

We can use the Slaughter rule to enshrine this as law.

hawksruleva on March 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Gibbs, like Goebbels, is doing his job to the best of his ability without regard for truth.
Note to those who connect the unconnected: This is not a comparison of Ob+ama with Hitler. Hitler actually wrote his own book.

Extrafishy on March 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Bow to the Saudis, bow to the Emperor of Japan, apologize for American “arrogance” around the world, debase the office of President of the Unites States of America whenever you are out of the country.

At home, remind your opponents you “won” and the “election is over”, encourage the legislative branch to engage in back-door dealings and ram your agenda through regardless of the will of the people, then give the finger to a co-equal branch of the U.S. government if it doesn’t do what YOU deem is right!

And almost half the country still thinks he is the only “savior” we need?

Unbelievable!