Durbin: Of course premiums will still go up with ObamaCare

posted at 12:55 pm on March 10, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Not exactly a shocker, but Dick Durbin gives the nuanced explanation that they’re looking to slow down the rate of increases, not stop increases altogether.  Unfortunately, that misrepresents what the CBO has already said about premiums under ObamaCare — and ignores what has already happened to premiums without it:

The truth is that premiums have gone up in part because of government intervention, not despite of it.  Further government intervention will make the problem worse — and the CBO agreed in November.  While some would see a price decrease, it would only be those who don’t currently have insurance:

Individual insurance premiums would increase by an average of 10 percent or more, according to an analysis of the Senate healthcare bill.

The long-awaited report by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) and the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) also concluded that subsidies provided by the legislation would make coverage cheaper for those who qualify. …

Though Republicans will seize on the projections that insurance premiums for individuals would increase, Democrats will highlight the conclusion that the legislation would lower premiums by 56 to 59 percent for those individuals who would receive subsidies to buy insurance on the exchange created by the legislation. Of those who participate in the exchange, 57 percent would be eligible for subsidies. The subsidy would cover about two-thirds of their premiums, the report says.

This exchange, open to individuals and small-business employees, would provide coverage to just 17 percent of the marketplace, the report notes.

Meanwhile, Alan Reynolds at Cato looked last week at government data on medical premiums, and found out that the market has already reduced their costs (via Newsalert):

If President Obama really wanted to find out how quickly typical health insurance premiums have been increasing, he could have a staffer call the Bureau of Labor Statistics and ask for Table 3A of the “Consumer Price Index Detailed Report Tables Annual Averages 2009.”  It turns out the consumer price index for health insurance premiums fell by 3.2% in 2009.

Maybe Durbin should pay more attention to the data, too.

Update: Tom Elia wonders whether anyone’s trying to keep stories straight any more:

Durbin Admits Premiums Will Go Up If Health Care Bill Is Passed

Sen. Dick Durbin, March 10, 2010: “Anyone who would stand before you and say ‘well, if you pass health care reform next year’s health care premiums are going down,’ I don’t think is telling the truth. I think it is likely they would go up.”

Obama Says Health Premiums Will Go Down

President Obama, March 8, 2010: “Our cost-cutting measures mirror most of the proposals in the current Senate bill, which reduces most people’s premiums.”

Update II: Moe Lane says that Durbin’s message to Obama is, “You lie!”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

You wrote “or the child”.

And it’s almost never medically indicated that the child be aborted to save the mother, unless the child is delivered prior to viability.

Medical conditions that threaten the mother’s life can almost always be alleviated by simply delivering the child, killing it is completely unecessary as it just need to be removed from the womb.

NoDonkey on March 10, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Assisting in a suicide is illegal in all states except for Oregon.

NoDonkey on March 10, 2010 at 2:40 PM
This is what I have the problem with.
No one should make it easy, or possible, for another to off themselves.

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 2:56 PM

–Why? It’s a stupid law anyways. What’s the criminal penalty for suicide or attempted suicide? Death?

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 2:58 PM

–Not to save it but to save the mother.

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Rarely happens & Drs are not infallible.
Just bcs they may give a diagnosis that a child must be aborted for X reason, does not mean that the event wold come to pass if the action wasn’t taken.
I would wager that the risk needs to be really high before it should be acceptable to kill a child in order to save the mother.
And when you carry a life within you for long enough, chances are you would not want to risk the baby’s life if the chances weren’t very high that you would die.

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 2:59 PM

You wrote “or the child”.

NoDonkey on March 10, 2010 at 2:57 PM

–But if it’s a health problem before viability, either way will have the same outcome.

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 2:58 PM

We were talking about HELPING someone do the deed.
The helper should be prosecuted.
I would wager that if there are laws against committing suicide that would prosecute the person wanting to die, that they are rarely prosecuted, but ordered to just get help.
And what is wrong with that?

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 3:01 PM

You wrote “or the child”.

NoDonkey on March 10, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 3:00 PM

NoDonkey is completely correct in pointing out that any woman who really WANTS her child will carry it as long as medically possible (if in a high risk situation) so that she may be able to deliver a baby that has a chance of surviving outside of the womb.
Women who want to abort a fetus late term, using the excuse it’s a medical necessity, have no problem in KILLING it, with no hope for its survival outside the womb.
There is a difference here.
Jimbo you are kibbitzing.
Fact is, abortions should not be easy to get-no matter what.
And any woman who loves & wants her baby will use abortion as a LAST resort-not a solution.

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM

This should be required (re) reading for 2010 – “The Nazi Doctors: Medical Killing and the Psychology of Genocide,” by Robet Jay Lifton. I would send a copy to Durbin the Dick’s office but he is obviously too stupid to realize that his “health care” objectives have already been debated long ago. Honestly, how can anyone take that doofus seriously? And I don’t want one thing he is trying to sell. Nothing.

MayorDaley on March 10, 2010 at 3:10 PM

And what is wrong with that?

How about we let adults decide if they’d personally like to live or die and make it illegal for one to kill another (including unborn babies) except in direct self-defense?

DarkCurrent on March 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 2:58 PM
We were talking about HELPING someone do the deed.
The helper should be prosecuted.
And what is wrong with that?

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 3:01 PM

–Why should there be any laws prohibiting suicide or prohibiting assistance in a suicide by someone else? Most of the anti-abortion arguments don’t apply. It’s clearly not someone else’s body and it’s clearly (I would hope) voluntary. So what’s the problem?

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

DarkCurrent on March 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM

So no penalties on anyone helping a person to kill themselves?
Is it OK to provide a person with enough legal drugs to OD & die?
Is it OK for a person to drive someone to a tall building or bridge & watch them jump?
Is it OK for a person to lend their buddy a gun so he can kill himself with it?
Is this really OK with you?

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM

–Hey, how’s your daugher doing?

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

You & I differ in how we view life.
My body my choice.
This is all I need to know about you.

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Hey, how’s your daugher doing?

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Thanks for asking.
She is very good, BTW.
The baby was discharge from NICU today.
A beautfiul, healthy baby girl.

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Thanks for asking.
She is very good, BTW.
The baby was discharge from NICU today.
A beautfiul, healthy baby girl.

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 3:24 PM

–Please pass on my best wishes and those of everyone else at HA.

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 3:27 PM

–Please pass on my best wishes and those of everyone else at HA.

I’ll do that!
Thanks!

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 3:33 PM

So no penalties on anyone helping a person to kill themselves?

I don’t see any reason why there should be

Is it OK to provide a person with enough legal drugs to OD & die?

I see no reason why not, assuming they are legally able to provide such drugs in the first place.

Sure

Is it OK for a person to lend their buddy a gun so he can kill himself with it?

Is this really OK with you?

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

where ‘person’ is ‘adult person’

DarkCurrent on March 10, 2010 at 3:37 PM

A flat-out LIE! Of course our premiums will increase. So will our taxes. The only decrease will be to our quality of care. There is NO way that government can add 31 million to the dole and not raise taxes/premiums.

TN Mom on March 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Jimbo3 on March 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

How can you be so sure it’s always voluntary? What if it’s an old person with Parkinson’s?

fossten on March 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM

You mean we’ll have to kick in more money in order to cover those who are on welfare and to cover for typical bureaucratic waste???

Shocking I tell ya!

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM

A “one-size-fits-all” plan is doomed to disaster. What works in California probably won’t work in Mississippi.

NoDonkey

Heck, it doesn’t even work in California, lol.

xblade on March 10, 2010 at 4:52 PM

xblade on March 10, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Bad example, does anything?

I mean that isn’t perverted.

NoDonkey on March 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM

fossten on March 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Exactly.

“My wife (who was about to divorce me and take everything) really wanted to die, so I helped her.”

Vashta.Nerada on March 10, 2010 at 5:04 PM

wonders whether anyone’s trying to keep stories straight any more:

Did they ever bother? The difference is that now we’re all listening.

jeanie on March 10, 2010 at 5:08 PM

DarkCurrent on March 10, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Just bcs we are talking about adult persons doesn’t make it any less of an issue.
It’s real simple here:
you believe a person should be able to end their life for whatever reason evidently, & that someone can help them do so & it’s no big deal.
I do not think that people should be allowed to help other people end their lives.
I don’t care if they are adults or not.
And if someone is caught in the act of trying to kill themselves, I guess you must think that we should respect their wishes & let them do it bcs they are ‘adult persons’ & I do NOT.
How many people have been stopped in the act of suicide & are grateful for it?
I do not think that a culture of acceptance of suicide is good for us.

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Oh, no Dick: You’re wrecking my dream of OBAMANATION!!!

Cybergeezer on March 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Bottom line here is….those who have health care, pay for their health care, and use their health care, need to be punished. We must be held accountable. Our punishment…to go on the government health care…where God, errr Obama , and his minions will decide life, or death.

I guarantee if you have an R by your name, you’ll be deemed unworthy for care.

capejasmine on March 10, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Ugh. This has nothing to do with health care. It’s a communist takeover.

n0doz on March 10, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Dick Dustbin.

We are so proud of you here in the great state of ILL.

Please consider retirement.

Thanks.

dissent555 on March 10, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Don’t look now Durbin, but your own state (IL) needs a $4.7 BILLION loan to stay afloat. Democrats can’t even run a state, and they want to run our healthcare!

TN Mom on March 10, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Unless we change eliminate health practices government interference in the market, we’re not going to slow down the premium increases.

Period.

AnninCA on March 10, 2010 at 12:58 PM

FIFY.

TheMightyMonarch on March 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM

For those who thinks that under government management,health insurance premium would not go up, look at the price of a US postage stamp. (as an exact parallel, you get lousy service to go with the rate hikes!!)

bayview on March 10, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Patient education. Did you know, for example, that a woman who takes a 30 minute walk a day is getting the same benefit as taking a pill for osterperosis?

Continue the educational “pressure” on all of us to act more responsibly about our own health. I’m not any different from anyone else. It takes a LOT of reminders that eating eggs benedict really should be a treat on an annual basis. *haha

AnninCA on March 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I’ve not been here for a while. I see you’re still obnoxiously thick-headed. For instance, not all people with high blood pressure are physically able to go for a 30 minute walk every day. Some are elderly and have problems walking. Some live in climates where its too cold and have you ever heard of old people falling down and breaking a hip on an icy sidewalk? Please girl, get a grip. Oh by the way, I’ll eat as many damn eggs as I want and noone is going to tell me otherwise. Eggs are good for you. And, you can take your “educational pressure” and park it where the sun don’t shine. I like bacon too. Think I’ll go have a scotch and a smoke. *haha

fullogas on March 10, 2010 at 11:46 PM

fullogas on March 10, 2010 at 11:46 PM
I’ll go you one better: No everyone that has high blood pressure has it because they’re unfit.
That pre-existing condition that I mentioned earlier…it’s genetic hypertension. I’m not over-weight, I exercise, and if the bulimia’s not acting up I eat pretty healthy…except for my love of desserts(LoL).
I’ve been on medication since the summer before I turned 32-I turn 40 this year-and I will probably always be on it.
If Obamacare passes I fear that I’ll be told by some bureaucrat that I’m being denied my drugs because science has ‘proven’ that the way to lower high blood pressure is to lose weight and work-out more.
Exercise won’t keep me from a heart attack or stroke-though I’m sure it helps-but my meds will!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2010 at 1:32 AM

To Annoyinglittletwerp: I read your previous post and I do feel for you. Must be very difficult to live with that condition. My daughter just found out she has B12 deficiency – can eat and take vitamins all she wants but her body can’t ever absorb it. She was real sick, losing weight, severe headaches, facial pain, middle of the night vomiting and sweats and now her dr. says I should be tested because its probably genetic. O crap.

Anyway, I hear you. Its never the government’s right to have any say whatsoever regarding our healthcare choices – its simply not their place. Good luck to you dear and you’re not annoying at all.

fullogas on March 11, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Cousin of POTUS issues a hot water enema smackdown on Obamacare this morning.

ted c on March 11, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Dick Dustbin. We are so proud of you here in the great state of ILL.

dissent555 on March 10, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Dick the Weenie — what a despicable swine this guy is. He and his Democrat/Mob supporters have run Illinois into bankruptcy, and if Quinn gets reelected in November, he’s going to change all of the Rod Blagojevich signs to read:

Illinois — Closer to Bankruptcy than California!

Jaibones on March 11, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

Herb on March 11, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I think I made it quite clear that I wasn’t talking about eliminating meds, particularly when needed.

Sometimes, people can make a small remark into some kind of meta-political idea where commonsense would suggest otherwise.

I am personally convinced that the politicization of everything is a huge part of the problem today.

AnninCA on March 11, 2010 at 10:26 AM

AnninCA on March 11, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Things only become politicized when the government takes control of them. then, once the gov’t is in charge, politics runs whatever it is and therefore it is politicized by virtue of government control. It cannot be any other way.

therefore, the Gov’t seeking to take control of healthcare by its very nature politicizes health care. Once the gov’t is in fact in control – if Obamacare passes – every medical decision will be politicized from here on out. Who gets what care, etc., will be based, either wholly or in part, on political considerations.

Monkeytoe on March 11, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Ask this weasel a follow up question about prices going up and he’ll deny he ever said it. Brietbart – - we need you now.

kens on March 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM