Video: What Shep Smith’s show would sound like if he had full creative control

posted at 5:43 pm on March 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

C’mon, tell me I’m not right. I’ll bet there are “Studio B” outtakes that sound exactly like this. As it is, 90 percent of the reason for watching Shep is the hope that they’ll cut to a car chase and trigger a patented 15-minute Smithian snark riff; why Roger Ailes doesn’t go the rest of the way and let him curse with abandon, I simply don’t know. Ratings would double overnight. I dare the advertisers to boycott.

Yeah, I know it’s a knockoff of that BBC spoof. A good idea is worth repeating. Content warning.

Breaking News: Some Bullshit Happening Somewhere

Comments

This is local news in a nutshell. Local news is a cancer on television.

thphilli on March 9, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Heh. Everyone’s on the Massa thread.

aquaviva on March 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Creamy Delicious Goodness!

Opposite Day on March 9, 2010 at 5:55 PM

“I’m just some f*#%ing guy.”

Classic

classicaliberal on March 9, 2010 at 5:55 PM

ROFL.. That was the brain cleaser I needed after the day I’ve had at work. Thanks, Hot Air, for posting the link! ;-)

itzWicks on March 9, 2010 at 5:55 PM

The BBC one was better.

WashJeff on March 9, 2010 at 5:59 PM

The only reason to spend one minute of Mr. Smith is the chance he will flounce of the set in a snit.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2010 at 6:01 PM

That was f-ing funny.

txag92 on March 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM

What’s with all the Onion stuff lately.

What… there isn’t enough real crap out there that’s destroying every aspect of life in America?

katy on March 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Good stuff!

truetexan on March 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I think I just spent an hour with GB and BS Massa.

fourdeucer on March 9, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Those dorks stole this from someone…who just did this, but without the lame swearing? Brit guy.

Jaibones on March 9, 2010 at 6:11 PM

The BBC one was better.

WashJeff on March 9, 2010 at 5:59 PM

There. Exactly.

Jaibones on March 9, 2010 at 6:12 PM

This is what Fox tends to do on Saturday mornings when the business block is supposed to be on. I watch very little television, but enjoy those shows – irritates me to no end that I have to DVR the shows at 2am a day or two later so that I can see them.

Vashta.Nerada on March 9, 2010 at 6:13 PM

The whole time watching it all I could think was how funny this would have been if I hadn’t already seen the BBC one.

frankj on March 9, 2010 at 6:14 PM

To be quite frank, this was complete bullshit. (Can I say that on national internet? Tee hee.) The Hot Air team gives it a big blurb and writes some bullshit copy (tee hee, really, can I say that?) above the link to make it appear less bullshitty (LOL) but bullshit if bullshit and no amount of lipstick is going to make this steaming pile of bullshit any more kissable than, oh, say Sarah Palin.

(Tee hee)

MaxMBJ on March 9, 2010 at 6:15 PM

This is any local affiliate anywhere in the United States.

portlandon on March 9, 2010 at 6:16 PM

“Hi, I’m Jessica Newsbeat and I’m standing on the corner of Fifth and Vine awaiting the arrival of the first snowflake in the big storm we’re predicted to have tonight. Oh, look! There’s one now! Can you zoom in on that, Frank?

No, wait, that’s just a piece of dust or something.

At any rate, I’ll be here all night with live updates which, you’ll notice are now on the crawl beneath your viewing area. We will be sure to interrupt the climatic moments of your favorite TV shows and sporting events with full screen warnings that last scroll text at a rate even Perez Hilton could keep up with.

Back to you, Mike.

MaxMBJ on March 9, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Shep will learn from this.

notagool on March 9, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Stoooopid Portland KPTV12 Fox affiliate constantly uses props in their news stories.

“I’m here in front of the Dotty’s Tavern, where someone pulled a knife (Holds up a knife) and robbed the clerk and customers of their wallets (holds up a wallet) & purses (holds up a purse).”

They are by far the dumbest station in Portland.

portlandon on March 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I am a lurker who reads daily yet only posts when motivated to contribute. And when I do contribute, I contribute nothing — like this comment.

EarthToZoey on March 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM

The bottom crawl was funny.

mikeyboss on March 9, 2010 at 6:44 PM

And yet we still learned more about current events in that clip than we would in hours of staring at Shep and his eye makeup…

“I’m just some f*cking guy”

Classic!

UncleOlaf on March 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM

BEAR SH!T WARNING: Shep’s eyebrows are arching and his voice is rising. The reporter is preparing to editorialize in disguise.

PaCadle on March 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Wow, a snapshot photo at ‘honest’ journalism.

docdave on March 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM

So true. Shep is so funny when there is live breaking news. Love him or hate him, he is by far the best breaking news anchor in the business by a mile.

flash044 on March 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM

You mean people still… actually watch Shep? The only time I see him is on YouTube type clips, just like any other TV media divas.

bains on March 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM

And Shep would. I ran into him at the New Orleans airport a while back, and he dropped an f-bomb in his first five words to me.

Nice guy, though. Gotta like Shep.

Pope Linus on March 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Shep Smith is an over-rated a$$. I’m shocked that alcoholic conservatives haven’t started a drinking game in which everyone downs a shot when he mispronounces a word or flubs what’s in front of him on the teleprompter. They’d all be passed out before O’Reilly starts his Talking Points.

heddly_lamar on March 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I always love the chryon (sp?) at the bottom!

Philadelphia: Marathon will have nothing to do with cancer.

*snark*

SouthernGent on March 9, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Yeah, I know it’s a knockoff of that BBC spoof.

Is it? It’s similar, but it’s not like that video (hilarious and awesome as it was) was totally unique and entirely original. This Onion video doesn’t seem too different from its earlier report on concentric circles emanating from a landmass on a map. Both the BBC one and the concentric circles one were better than this, don’t get me wrong, I’m just pointing out that Brooker’s report was not the only one ever to deconstruct a news broadcast.

OneGyT on March 9, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Hell Smith just dripped his metrosexual-liberal fear mongering all over the segment about the gun dealer trying to sponsor his son’s Little League.

‘the GUN DEALER can’t figure out why his offer of sponsorship was rejected.’

Go to hell, Shep. You’re part of the liberal milquetoasts that are ruining America.

/spit

rayra on March 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Hey. As a resident of bear-infested SOCAL, I object. Bear sightings are a lot more rare, interesting, and fun than all those incessant car chases and murders.

At least if Shep is riffing on a bear-in-the-garbage-cans scenario — LIVE AND BREAKING — I’m not sure exactly what he’ll say.

J.E. Dyer on March 9, 2010 at 8:57 PM

This isn’t their best work, but it is funny all the same.

Southernblogger on March 9, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Thhe BBC one was better. Just like the Brit version of ‘The Office’.

BHO Jonestown on March 9, 2010 at 9:51 PM

“And here’s some footage of congress.”

“I see that.”

Jewels on March 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Shep Smith is very annoying to me. I don’t watch his show. i simply don’t want to give him any ratings.

immigrantchick on March 10, 2010 at 10:50 AM