Video: Rubio gets back waxes, or something

posted at 9:30 am on March 9, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Honestly — does a man who makes himself the color of an Oompa Loompa really want to cast aspersions like this? Charlie Crist rides the credit-card scandal to rhetorical and perhaps political death in this interview last night with Greta van Susteren on Fox News. Crist ladles on the sexual-identity attack about as thick as his own spray-on tans by claiming that a charge on Marco Rubio’s credit card was perhaps for a back wax instead of a haircut, leading Greta to ask for the basis of the allegation. Crist’s answer? “I don’t know!” Jim Hoft has the video:

Er, isn’t this a rather risky area for Crist to attack? Does he really want to get into a manliness debate with Rubio? Being eighteen points down in the polls may mean Crist may have nothing left to lose (except his dignity), but he seems ready to alienate the few people still standing with him — including many men in Florida who get haircuts at salons, but who skip the Sunkist spray paint.

Update: Randy Scudder, a Crist supporter on Twitter, notes that Rubio makes snide remarks about spray-on tans and tanning beds, and that this is just a response in kind.  Fair enough, but this seems to go a little farther and call Rubio’s masculinity into question, rather than just his vanity.  “I don’t know what you do in a salon, if you’re a guy” means something other than “You’re so vain, you probably think this song is about you.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Will Crist withdraw for the good of Republican Party?

antisocial on March 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Will Crist withdraw for the good of Republican Party?

antisocial on March 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Will Crist supporters support Rubio after the primary??? Or will they pull a scud-bomb?

MeatHeadinCA on March 9, 2010 at 10:37 AM

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 10:34 AM

What’s your point? I agree with that breakdown of charges.

Were you just trying to make my point? Thanks for the backup.

Sporty1946 on March 9, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Greta needs to lay off the plastic surgery. She’s starting to look weird.

AZCoyote on March 9, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Greta needs to lay off the plastic surgery. She’s starting to look weird.

AZCoyote on March 9, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Hey, lay off Greta. She’s just trying to make the Orange-man feel comfortable in a more natural environment.

MeatHeadinCA on March 9, 2010 at 10:40 AM

What’s your point? I agree with that breakdown of charges.

Were you just trying to make my point? Thanks for the backup.

Sporty1946 on March 9, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Rubio claimed (or lied about) saying he paid for personal expenses each month, yet there was a 6 month time when he did not.

And you really believe that a fender bender in a parking lot, because it was a political rally, is a genuine expense deduction? And the subsequent car rental fees?

C’mon now.

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM

C’mon now.

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Are you really pulling this stunt now??? After admonishing people for assuming Crist was gay, you’re now assuming Rubio is a liar?

Wow, way to hold yourself to a higher standard.

I’m out, but you enjoy protecting yo’ man.

MeatHeadinCA on March 9, 2010 at 10:44 AM

wildcat84 on March 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Obviously you are correct. I was hoping that his missteps were just a sign of our crazy economic times and that he was making the best out of a bad situation. I don’t know about this remark being elitist but it certainly is childish.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Thanx Charlie for showing your slimy cards, definitely the worst of two evils. You make me squrim.

Reality Check on March 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Actually, yes. If someone hired to drive cars by the party damaged Rubio’s car while Rubio was attending a function required by his job, then I don’t see an issue with the party paying half of the deductible. Since the party was arguably liable for the damage, only charging them half was a bit generous on Rubio’s part.

Slublog on March 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Slublog on March 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Beat me to it.

Chris_Balsz on March 9, 2010 at 10:48 AM

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM

You have no evidence that he made personal charges for which he did not pay.

Yes, I agree with the ‘fender bender’ charges and the rental. Unless you have details about the accident that would require Rubio to take a hit on his personal insurance as opposed to the party paying for something that occurred while at a party function.

Sporty1946 on March 9, 2010 at 10:49 AM

MeatHeadinCA on March 9, 2010 at 10:37 AM

See there will always be cultists who will not let go. Ideally we should fight the primary and then everyone should support the Republican candidate in the election. I personally think at this point Crist is toast. He should withdraw from the race and rally behind Rubio. There is no point wasting precious money and resources. Especially when we know who is a better candidate.

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I hate to break this to you. Your guy is Toast. He is the worst possible candidate you could support for GOP nomination. He has embraced all Obama policies. Now is not the time to choose deal makers. It is time to choose men with spine.

antisocial on March 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM

re back waxes: if I were with a dude with a pretty hairy back, I wouldn’t hesitate to request a wax job.

I mean, I don’t have this issue now… *cough* …just saying…it could be a wifey thing. (Not like Crist has any credibility anyway to speculate or speak on the subject.)

.02

Diane on March 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I hate to break this to you. Your guy is Toast.

As slublog said earlier, Crist is poised to lose “epically”. And the way things are going, it does seem that way. It’s a long road to November tho. Stay tuned.

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM

About the last person who needs to be making suggestions about someone’s masculinity is Charlie “I’m not gay, why would you think that??” Crist.

Lehosh on March 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM

What is interesting to me is your unwavering support for a politician you can’t even vote for! Is it because you think he has promise as an up and comer on the national level?

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2010 at 11:14 AM

MeatHeadinCA on March 9, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Do you wonder about the shower curtains at the Talahassee capitol gym???

kringeesmom on March 9, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I first thought the headline said “back taxes”, and my interest was piqued. Then I read the GP story and came back.

Crist is a “flying expletive”. Go home Charlie. Nobody wants you. Well, except JetFanBoi.

spmat on March 9, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I saw this yesterday and Crist sounded desperate. This seems to be about $130 charge on a campaign credit card. I honestly think a makeover is part of campaigning. I mean Sarah Palin got a whole wardrobe so this seems within reason to me.

Also $130 dollars doesn’t seem so outrageous when a decade ago Bill Clinton stopped the country’s business to get a $400 cut aboard Airforce One.

Crist is desperate. It couldn’t happen to a nicer man. His endorsement swung the Primary to John McCain. That will always make him a pariah. Anyone who helped get Obama into office should be shunned by society.

petunia on March 9, 2010 at 11:20 AM

C’mon now.

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM

If you are a canidate and your car is damaged campaigning why wouldn’t you think it was a campaign expense? There is an argument either way–but this is certainly a legitimate expense.

Crist is desperate to bring it up. The fact that he has such little complaints only makes Rubio look better.

petunia on March 9, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Do you wonder about the shower curtains at the Talahassee capitol gym???

kringeesmom on March 9, 2010 at 11:16 AM

These days I wonder about that for every single state Capital. Particularly about Illinois(that’s where this new practice of community organizing must have started), Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Kalifornia, Michigan….

antisocial on March 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Crist down by 32 now. JetBoy, SquidShark hardest hit! LOL!

crushliberalism on March 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I wax my husbands back… He says it more comfortable and I think it looks better… He didn’t always have back hair though so maybe it’s an age thing. I also do his brows and ears and make sure he doesn’t have acne unattended. I don’t know why some women don’t help their men out in the personal maintenance department… Some men really need it…

CCRWM on March 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM

yeah, I saw this exchange on Greta and almost vomited. Crist is a “cosmetic” conservative now, or something.

John the Libertarian on March 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Charlie’s remark was just plain bitchy, the kind of humor and cattiness we’d expect from a high school student. Senatorial? Not!

obladioblada on March 9, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Crist, YA OBOT GLOBALIST, YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DESPERATE!

BobAnthony on March 9, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I can’t wait to see the AP headline:

“CRIST “UNEXPECTEDLY” LOSES PRIMARY”

Oyster on March 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Crist probly just eats too many carrots, a beta-carotened beta male.

…and living near the beach in Florida, and seeing lots of exposed skin, I can tell you that more men should get the back wax. A rug on your back is just….ewwww! There’s good naked and bad naked, and hairy backs are definitely bad naked.

But I’m lucky…my wife lasers my back. No messy wax for us, just a little cool jelly

ornery_independent on March 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Is anyone else missing posted comments?

stenwin77 on March 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM

The YouTube video got taken down, but here’s another that is working:

theblogprof on March 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM

He is a phony fiscal conservative because he is a pork hound and did nothing for the FL budget when he sat in the very powerful speakers chair. The haircut is just cake.

Squid Shark on March 9, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I wasn’t aware that the speaker single handedly passed budgets.

Did your conservative hero veto these budgets?

MarkTheGreat on March 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Were you one of those defending Palin’s decision to put a tanning bed in the gov’s place in Alaska?

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Tanning bed in Alaska, vs. fake tan in Florida.

Am I the only one who can see a difference?

MarkTheGreat on March 9, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Crist wasn’t making a statement…he qualified it with “I don’t know”…that Rubio used the party credit card for a salon appt.

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM

That has got to be, the single most pathetic attempt to defend a candidate that I have ever seen.

MarkTheGreat on March 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I wasn’t aware that the speaker single handedly passed budgets.

Did your conservative hero veto these budgets?

MarkTheGreat on March 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM

You guys are the one lionizing Rubio’s conservative virtue.

And yes, the Speaker has far more power over the budgeting process than the Governor is Florida. Furthermore, Crist has line itemed many budget items including alot of Rubios pork.

Squid Shark on March 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Those expenses include a $1,000 charge at Braman Honda in Miami for repairs to the family car in January 2008. Rubio said the minivan was damaged by parking attendants at a political function and that the party agreed to cover half of his insurance deductible. The party also paid $2,976 for him to rent a car in Miami for five weeks.

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 10:34 AM

You actually believe that you have an important issue here?

MarkTheGreat on March 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Squid Shark on March 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I still love the way you like to pretend that Rubio is personally responsible for every single item in the budget, yet despite the fact that your gov has a line item veto, he has no responsibility for that same budget.

Your attempts to spin your boys failures are getting more hilarious by the day.

MarkTheGreat on March 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Crist gets that hair cut for 11 bucks? Please.

How much does he spend on hair products?

amkun on March 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM

JetBoy on March 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM

He wouldn’t have been in that parking lot if he weren’t attending a party function.
Regardless, the party agreed to pay half. So your complaint should be with the party, not Rubio.

MarkTheGreat on March 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM

MarkTheGreat on March 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Keep ignoring the facts. Line item veto is limited in Florida and is really only used for Pork. It can not defind whole programs. Short of a full veto, which would shut down the government, there is no way for the governor to execute a wholesale budget revision. Do I wish that he had placed more pressure on the House and Senate? Hell yes. Does he bear as much responsibility for the disgracefully ineffective special session of 2007 as the Speaker of the House? Absolutely not.

Squid Shark on March 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Crist gets that hair cut for 11 bucks? Please.

How much does he spend on hair products?

amkun on March 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Crist is pretty well known for living a pretty monastic life before his marriage to Ms. Rome. He lived in an apartment in St. Pete with his dad. He ate one meal a day, drove a sensible car. I would not be suprised in the least if he got an $11 haircut.

Squid Shark on March 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Sure he wasn’t attempting to allude to a spa?

Big difference.

In either case, pretty pathetic, coming from an orange political prostitute like Crist.

Maquis on March 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I don’t know what you do in a salon, if you’re a guy

I’ll admit it: I’ve had a pedicure. The foot massage was incredible. I’m at that age where I can’t quite see my toe nails, even with reading glasses, and I’m not limber enough to get my toes any closer to where I can see them.

It’s a blast pulling up to the place on my HD; the ladies working there get a kick out of it. And I get a lot of stares from the female customers.

Still can’t decide on a good color, though….

karl9000 on March 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Still can’t decide on a good color, though….

karl9000 on March 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Can’t go wrong with HD Orange and Black or Red State Red!

Maquis on March 9, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Keep ignoring the facts.

I’m not ignoring the facts, I’m ignoring you.

Line item veto is limited in Florida and is really only used for Pork.

Then why didn’t your hero veto all of the pork?

Since that’s what a real conservative would do, your guy has proven that he’s not the real conservative that you wish to believe he is.

Squid Shark on March 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I’m still waiting for you to demonstrate that Rubio wrote the budget, all by himself, and passed it with his vote only.

MarkTheGreat on March 9, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I’m not ignoring the facts, I’m ignoring you

Apparently you are failing in this attempt since you keep responding.

Then why didn’t your hero veto all of the pork?

You keep confusing the blind unquestioning devotion of the Rubes with my practical decision to go with Crist. As for the pork, I wish he had, but the fact that he vetoed the worst and most wasteful examples is enough for me. Rubio could have stopped the pork from his position, but he was too busy asking for it.

I never said he was a real conservative, I said he has been a better Public Servant for Florida than Rubio. You keep putting words in to my mouth assuming I am slobbering Crists knob as much as the Rubes are to Rubio now that he is the flav of the month.

Once again, words in the mouth, I said that Rubio, who controlled the levers of a heavy republican majority in the chamber that controls most of the mechanics of FL’s budget, holds more responsibility than the man who can only ask nicely and veto later.

Squid Shark on March 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Still can’t decide on a good color, though….

karl9000 on March 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM

LMAO! Just stick with a clear matte finish ;)

I’m no metro, but I’ll cop to the occassional mani/pedi. And you’re right that the foot massage is amazing, and where else can I go (WITH my wife) to have 2-3 cute chattering Asian women hovering over me, showering (metaphorically) me with attention, and it’s ALL legal!

ornery_independent on March 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM

“I don’t know what you do in a salon, if you’re a guy.”

Get a haircut?

xblade on March 9, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I hate to say this. Is there something more to what Crist said? Urban Dictionary look up back wax.(i will not repeat here.) (maybe he is calling into question his manhood in a different way) Also why is he referring to his back? Why not his eyebrows or chest? Could it be a veiled racial slur?

cubbieblue25 on March 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM