Video: Beck, Michelle Malkin go toe to toe over Massa interview

posted at 12:10 pm on March 9, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

This starts off as an intellectual discourse on the use of apostates in political arguments, but descends to a pity party on Glenn Beck’s part when he goes after Michelle Malkin for criticizing his decision to give an hour to Eric Massa. It starts downhill at the moment that Beck says, “I don’t understand you people,” which takes the Boss Emeritus aback. The Right Scoop has the video:

Frankly, I don’t even know what set Beck off in the first place. Having Massa on the show for a segment might make some sense, but the decision to devote an hour to Massa is certainly open for criticism. Beck needs to handle criticism over an editorial decision like that among friends better than this. I worked for Michelle for two years and had open disagreements on policy, but it never took this kind of tone, nor did I ever think of it as backstabbing, as Beck seems to imply. In fact, both of us thought it was part of the process and made for better blogging and radio, which is why it had always been stressed that I could write what I want and argue what I believe here at Hot Air.

On the plus side, he makes up with Michelle towards the end of the interview, and he apparently apologized later. It’s not as unpleasant as the reaction on Twitter indicated, but it’s not Beck’s finest moment, either.

Beck says, “I’m not making this about him,” but at the same time he’s claiming that Massa “confirms” what the White House is doing. It only confirms it if Massa has any credibility. Claiming that Democrats are railroading him out of office when he’s resigning on his own makes his credibility very suspect. One can believe that the Obama administration is playing hardball with or without Massa’s testimony on this point, but relying on Massa undermines the argument if it turns out that Massa may be exaggerating or prevaricating for his own purposes — and as Michelle has pointed out, there’s certainly some evidence to bolster that interpretation.

None of us need to rely on Massa’s credibility for our arguments. We can note his statements and consider the context and Massa’s motivations, which is all Michelle asks of Beck in reconsidering his choice to give Massa a big megaphone tonight. It’s not bad advice, and perhaps Beck should give it more consideration, coming from a friend.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

I don’t do “preconceived notions”. All things should be seen exactly as they are and on a case by case basis. I’ve given Beck credit before, and even defended him – when I thought he deserved it. But that was then and this is now. Don’t be such a hero worshipper – sooner or later you will end up very disappointed.

MB4 on March 9, 2010 at 3:47 PM

How does listening to what he actually said upset him as opposed to projecting something he didn’t say onto him make me a hero worshiper?

Pablo on March 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I warned beck that if he hung around O’Reilly and listen to his garbage talk abound the so called right wing it would hurt him .Now we see it,s result.

thmcbb on March 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Considering I am on Beck’s side then the only thing empty is your ability to comprehend.

Jesus how many times do I have to go over this. He can do whatever the fvck he wants to do as I have stated many times. However, I and others also every right to call him out on his phony convictions. When he actually puts some skin in the game then I will quit laughing when he starts thumping his chest about his concern for the republic. He has no wife, he has no children. His ass is covered, and when this country turns into raging sh1tstorm he will be the first one out on his Gulfstream without a moment of reservation.

He is obviously a great guy, but hell all he does now is regurgitate Drudge headlines and steal lines from Michael Savage of all people.

ClassicCon on March 9, 2010 at 3:48 PM

You aren’t very peceptive, are you, Cranky?

You are obsessed with other people’s lives the way you are because you are a rather empty person. You should work on that. :)

Bizarro No. 1 on March 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on March 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Did you even bother to try and comprehend his post, or did your automatic pundit defense system take over?

Beck and his ilk can say and do just about whatever they please, because they have the resources to say “adios, amigos” if the s**t truly hits the fan! They filch headlines from various sources, spew good-sounding garbage to their audiences and laugh all the way to the bank. And if things should ever go sour, they’ll be the first ones out of here on a private jet.

Dark-Star on March 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Every once in a while, Michelle Malkin picks a really odd battle.

Yep. Just like she came out swinging against O’Keefe over the Landrieu office affair before she ever knew any single fact in the case. Some odd purity kick.

EasyEight on March 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM

WTF is up with you guys???

Why are conservatives so freaking dumb sometimes?

The most important thing right now is KILLING this Trojan Horse of a bill. By any and all means. Because once it’s passed, there’s no reversing it.

Nobody’s saying Massa DIDN’T do that stuff. Hell, even HE isn’t saying that.

What makes this a scandal is if the Dem leadership knew about this all along, and was sort of keeping it in their back pocket. And now they’re using it against him in order to pass this bill. THAT is immoral, unethical, and possibly flat-out illegal.

THAT’S the story, you morons. That’s what GB will talk about. If you wanted to kill this bill, there is no greater thing you could do right now than devote an hour to totally peeling back the behind-the-scenes sordid dealings currently going on with healthcare.

Have you listened to this guy talk about all the dealing going on? It’s mindblowing. You almost never hear a Dem talking like this. And you idiots are bashing the one guy who could deliver a death blow to this POS bill?

I’m so disgusted with so many self-absorbed people in the so-called ‘conservative movement’. You all let your freaking egos get in the way. You deserve to lose. Just stand back and let the one guy who knows what he’s doing do his job instead of sniping at him. Unbelievable.

Sixth Guard on March 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM

MM, AP, and Ed, all of you. Just STFU and let Beck do his freaking job. You’re helping Obama.

Sixth Guard on March 9, 2010 at 4:07 PM

If you criticize Glenn Beck, the terrorists win.

rollthedice on March 9, 2010 at 4:09 PM

OK, let’s get real about this. Glenn Beck has the ability to decide what he is going to do on his show just as Michelle is able to exercise power over what appears on her web site (her site, not Hot Air). If Michelle wants to criticize Beck for having Massa on for an hour that is her right, but to what purpose?

I do not feel that the interview that Beck is having with Massa is out of bounds. It is of public interest and if Beck chooses to devote an hour instead of one segment that is his prerogative. It is Beck’s show and he bears all the risk. I don’t see Beck telling Michelle how to run her web site. Michelle should offer the same professional courtesy to Beck.

Are we so lost in our ideals of free will and self-determination that when Beck decides to exercise his we cannot respect his right to do so? Michelle is sounding like a left wing media manipulator in this. She is trying to micro-manage the message. I respect Michelle for here brilliant body of work. I have read her and appreciated her work for years now. But frankly this is smelling like a case of professional jealousy by Michelle. She should just let it drop and let Beck do his thing without the sniping.

Damn, we are as bad as the stinking left in shooting our own. We need to be better than this.

Hawthorne on March 9, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Ok, I’ve read the comments. Here’s what I have learned so far:

1. Cindy Munford misspelled a word. Wow, so she really is human. :grin:

2. Debbie Schlussel is a cross between Michael Savage and Jesse Ventura.

3. No matter what Beck and MM fight about, Massa still should not be trusted.

ConservativeTony on March 9, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Sixth Guard on March 9, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Good grief, why don’t you STFU. Beck is a loose cannon and sometimes steps in poo without looking. The fact that he’s got people trying to warn him should be a positive thing.

HotAir is helping Obama? Michelle Malkin, author of Culture of Corruption, is helping Obama?

You sound like you have a screw loose.

If forced to choose, there are several right winger pundits I would trust over Glenn Beck. Michelle Malkin is one of those.

Brian1972 on March 9, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Sixth Gaurd,

Much truth to what you say… The country is under an all out assault from within, and these people are busy doing what…

Unbelievable, but oh so true…

Keemo on March 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Sixth Gaurd,

Unbelievable, but oh so true…

Keemo on March 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Are you referring to Fox News?

Decider on March 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I enjoy both MM and Beck, but when Beck starts with his ‘no difference between Democrats and Republicans’ routine I switch off.

ConservativeTony on March 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM

This thread is done.
We need both of them folks; Michelle and Glenn!
Back to the real war for me.

Keemo on March 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Good grief, why don’t you STFU. Beck is a loose cannon and sometimessteps in poo without looking. The fact that he’s got people trying to warn him should be a positive thing.

Brian1972 on March 9, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Maybe it’s time for the right to take a page from the left and Michael Moore. Let the skunk in long enough to sink Obamacare, and then give him the boot.

Dark-Star on March 9, 2010 at 4:18 PM

3. No matter what Beck and MM fight about, Massa still should not be trusted.

ConservativeTony on March 9, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Bingo! He was against the health bill because it wasn’t LIBERAL ENOUGH!

He is a pervert scumbag politician, and a statist to boot. Slander artist. Don’t elevate this character into a hero when he clearly is a zero. I’m not sure I believe his story anyway, it’s so over the top crazy sounding.

This Massa guy strikes me as a political suicide bomber, taking down as many with him as he can on his way out.

Brian1972 on March 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Beck you need to go back and listen to some of your shows before you started paling around with that jerk O,Reilly.You have changed.You used to be a conservative now i some times don,t know what the hell you are.Yes it,s your show and you have the right to interview who you please and Michelle was a little off base but you have changed buddy sence you new friend ship with the O,Reilly jerk.

thmcbb on March 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Hawthorne on March 9, 2010 at 4:09 PM

“You know the difference between cannibals and liberals? Cannibals only eat their enemies.” — Lyndon Baines Johnson

My collie says:

Don’t look now, but I think we just crossed over into enemy territory.

CyberCipher on March 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Brian1972 on March 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM

He’s more like a mob tag-a-long who thinks it is to his benefit to take a few with him. Whether it works to his benefit remains to be seen, but if they want to sling poo it is every conservative pundits job to wheel in wheelbarrow loads for the fool.

thomasaur on March 9, 2010 at 4:30 PM

thmcbb on March 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I see that remedial English class is working…Your teacher in the lounge having a cigarette again?

lovingmyUSA on March 9, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Brian 1972 & thmcbb: Well done…I agree all the way!

tomshup on March 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Watching Beck yesterday calling Geert Wilders a Facist during one of his rants,it occured to me that either Beck is losing his mind , he has become confused as to what his own message is,or I never understood him to begin with.After listening to him with Michelle today,I’m convinced that one the three options is correct.
Glenn has in the past,seemed to favor the concept of individuality,but lately he is sounnding more like a(right wing) collectivist.While he was trying to present himself as being open-minded re.Massa,he sounded more like he was praising Massa as”one of us”.Michelle on the other hand was simply maintaining that considering Massa’s history,he can’t be trusted,as an individual.Massa,being a politician will use anyone or anything to cover his own misgivings.Michelle also made the point that even though Massa has resigned,he will most likely be back,after the dust settles.
I don’t always agree with Michelle,but she is the only polical commentator who doesn’t fall victim to collectivist thinking,and upon reflection,I can always see the independent thought that she applies to her perspective.
That independent thinking is what created and supported this country for all of its history.Not rightist collective nor leftist collective thinking,but independent thinking.
OT,I listened to Hannity today rant about Massa,Stupak,Crazy Nancy and Bambi.It occurred to me that rather than address the office holders,why aren’t the talking heads addressing the supremely stupid voters who put those people in office?You cannot shame a politican,but perhaps you can shame an idiot who voted for someone based on something other than the politician’s record.

DDT on March 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM

CyberCipher on March 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Thank God I made a whiskey run yesterday…

lovingmyUSA on March 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM

thmcbb on March 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I don’t think he’s outright changed but the “you people” comment was very O’reilly like. Hopefully he won’t pull that again. I support Beck but I agree with Michelle’s main point about warning him not to canonize this guy. I watched his show yesterday and he made Massa sound like some sort of born again Tea Partier. I’m sure Beck knows what he is doing, but he shouldn’t be so thin skinned with an ally like Michelle.

Daemonocracy on March 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM

DDT on March 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Totally wrong tactic…know the word “alienate”?

lovingmyUSA on March 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Hmmm…Michelle thinks one thing and Beck thinks another. So what? Am I missing something here? Are they both so sensitive they can’t disagree? And since no one has even seen the show yet, how can we judge whether it’s good or bad?

I do have one question more. Has Beck ever told Michelle what she should or shouldn’t write or say, especially on the air? Just curious…

Oh, and Ed…Beck doesn’t work for Michelle so there is a difference…

Deanna on March 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM

DDT on March 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I think it’s the O’reilly effect where he becomes too concerned with disassociating himself from “extremists” than just being himself and accepting the critics will always publicly or privately slander him.

Daemonocracy on March 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM

You know, baldi, I have tried in the past few years to respect you because i know know you are ex-military, but you are an a-hole.

DaydreamBeliever on March 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Oh I think I’m going to cry myself to sleep!

Bite me, clown.

baldilocks on March 9, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Beck is right!!!!

conservador on March 9, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Sixth Guard on March 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM

You need to comment more often or I need to find your comments more often, one of the two.

TheBigOldDog on March 9, 2010 at 4:51 PM

but you are an a-hole.

DaydreamBeliever on March 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM

This from a person who’s handle is also a Monkee’s song.

thomasaur on March 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Massa seems to be another democrat hey look over here moment. We are taking down our own to prove how noble we are. btw pay no attention to what is really going on in Washington http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/saltwater/news/story?id=4975762

“U.S. commercial and recreational saltwater fishing generated more than $185 billion in sales and supported more than two million jobs in 2006, according to a new economic report released by NOAA’s Fisheries Service.” I guess another few million jobs are meaningless in this booming economy.

historian on March 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I have just logged in and can’t wait to see this video! I will comment when I’m done watching it.

Humphrey007 on March 9, 2010 at 4:54 PM

None of us need to rely on Massa’s credibility for our arguments.

More than that, his connection to our arguments can enable our opponents to undermine them.

Beck is a fragile soul.

jnelchef on March 9, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Showtime!

thomasaur on March 9, 2010 at 5:01 PM

LOL

You’re sooooo perceptive too, aren’t ya? :)

Dark-Star on March 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Miserable people like you aren’t bright enough to understand that you can’t be happy when you envy what others have. You need to learn to worry about your own problems primarily.

Bizarro No. 1 on March 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM

historian on March 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM

The Obama administration will accept no more public input for a federal strategy that could prohibit U.S. citizens from fishing the nation’s oceans, coastal areas, Great Lakes, and even inland waters.

These people are out of their f’ing minds. They must want people to take to the streets.

TheBigOldDog on March 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on March 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM

I suppose I’d be pretty happy if I had my own personal bailout system, more money than I knew what to do with, and a fanbase that defended me like a bunch of two-legged lemmings.

Of course, you know that neither you nor I are likely to attain those things. You also know, though you’ll never admit it, that both ClassicCon and I are right about Beck. Big mouth, little risk, and he might just be losing his mind.

Dark-Star on March 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Hawthorne on March 9, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Good post.

The only thing worse than a Leftie acting like a Leftie is when a Rightie acts like one.

Bizarro No. 1 on March 9, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Hawthorne on March 9, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Good post.

Nah, no way. Michelle, if anything, is just a bit prudish if you will. That’s why she even has problems with people like Ann Coulter at times. I doubt she has a jealous bone in her body.

TheBigOldDog on March 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I think aliens Kinapped the real Glenn Beck on Christmas. The Beck we have seen in 2010 is not the real Beck.

paulsur on March 9, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Not a bad discussion. I just enjoy nice spirited debates. I get tired of the Ross Perot 3rd way anarchy crap from him! However, Beck is good once and a while.

Humphrey007 on March 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Who cares about A GRAIN OF SALT?

Why do I need “respect” for an informant?

A whore is a whore, and Massa fits the bill>>>so who cares WHO is credible?

Give Massa a bullhorn, and let him blow.

I think Glenn is a prima donna, but I also think MM stands on WAY too much ceremony.

Glenn was rude. Got it.

But the noose will be for Massa to fit for himself.

LET HIM.

seejanemom on March 9, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Personality quirks and envy aside, no one has argued that Rush & Beck are being duplicitous. They are both great at verbalizing what the a lot of people think. Beck is very good at refreshing memories of and adding to our heritage.
He has done a good job of shining the light on those who are trying to bring about a totalitarian government.

gbear on March 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM

TheBigOldDog on March 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Spot on.

When we were at CPAC in ’07 and Ann Coulter showed her ass, MM was the first to sign on to the petion to tell her she was rude.

MM is prude—ISH , but I SO DONT MEAN THAT IN A BAD WAY.

MM is a LADY, and frankly, tries to see WAaaaaaaaaay too much good in folks where there simply is none to be gleaned>>>but conversely, but sometimes she goes WAY high and to the right on “propriety”, if that makes sense.

****air kiss to MM****

seejanemom on March 9, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Friendly disagreement and the related “back and forth” are essential to any intellectual pursuit.

This exchange degenerated from friendly disagreement to argument when Beck used the “you people”. This particular epithet suggests an enemy status. Michelle handled it with more grace than would have.

I happen to agree with Beck’s decision to put Massa on for the full hour. That aside, Beck should apologize for the hostile tone he took with Michelle. Michelle meant no disrespect when criticizing Glenn’s editorial decision. She just disagreed with said decision. Beck will find no greater ally or loyal friend than Michelle.

DeathB4Tyranny on March 9, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Ahem – hey Michelle – I am watching this ridiculousness and you are right.

Not just right – you are 100% right and Glenn is follish for going down the primrose path with this idiot.

Me thinks Glenn was punked, Massa is rambling about a whole lot of mishagots nothingness.

AprilOrit on March 9, 2010 at 5:44 PM

My take…Let’s not make Conservatism and the Tea Party movement a religion. Let us not be lead to Idolatry. I like Glen and Michelle, but they’re still frail humans.

TwilightStruggler on March 9, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Massa has 15 minutes left and Beck is frustrated.

Let’s see what this guy is going to spill….

AprilOrit on March 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Beck has been had! The guy has said nothing other than “call your congressmen” and talk nice about each other.

silvernana on March 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM

williars on March 9, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Sorry this is late, I have been fighting with my wireless system. I am sure there is a certain amount of inherent distrust for the latest and greatest, add to that that different styles appeal to different people. I will use myself, when Mr. Beck is informative and funny I enjoy him. When he gets emotional, I pull away. That’s not him, that’s me. No fault, no foul. Considering how fast he has zoomed up to the top I think most want to hang back and make sure he’s not a flash in the pan.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Wow, BF Deal – he told us not to belong to a Party and not to call anyone names or and that he is fiscally Conservative and was forced out.

He’s guilty and Beck has conceeded and called the guy a liar.

Beck – he punked you, cut him off, he has no story to tell.

AprilOrit on March 9, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Massa is talking rings around Beck who’s coming across as a big jerk. Malkin was right that Beck shouldn’t have given Massa the whole hour.

erp on March 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Glenn? You owe MM a huge apology!!! She has spent her entire career exposing corruption and discerning who are real whistle blowers. You should have heeded her advice and vetted his appearance prior to giving him 60 minutes of airtime! You jumped at a ratings chance versus staying loyal to your principles! You’ve been punked!

TheRightWingM on March 9, 2010 at 6:04 PM

The Dems have to be laughing right now. Michelle was trying to warn Beck so he wouldn’t look like a fool. He should have listened.

silvernana on March 9, 2010 at 6:04 PM

erp on March 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM

You betcha, Michelle has a ton of experience, she knows what she’s talking about.

Glenn should have welcomed her advice and saved himself the embarrassment of being punked by a Democrat. This guy sounds like Traficant and Rod Blagojevich rolled up into one disfunctional Far Left male gropping loon.

AprilOrit on March 9, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Dark-Star on March 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM

You don’t know as much as you think you do.

I am not a big fan of Beck. I think he is an annoying communicator whose mannerisms interfere with his message. I believe he is a sick, twisted freak who happens to do a lot of good despite that. I realize that Rush and Beck have lots of money, big fan bases which often blindly defend them, and are often accused of doing what they do with impure motives. What I also realize is that many of these accusers are ridiculously obsessed with how they choose to live their lives. Everyone‘s a critic, and knows how to run their lives better than they do!

Unlike people like you, ClassicCon, and MM, I don’t spend time worrying about the damage they might do to the Conservative movement if they don’t behave the ‘right way’, or all the good they might do ‘if only they really cared about Conservatism’. I am just not interested in telling other people what they should be doing with their time and money in order to demonstrate their sincerity and wisdom. As long as they aren’t hurting anyone, I simply don’t care what they do.

You should try my approach – you’d be a lot happier!

Bizarro No. 1 on March 9, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Beck did a great job in proving that politicians in general are corrupt self serving a$$holes. We have always known it, but to watch it unfold in front of your eyes is truly sickening.

To any of you, this includes MM, Ed, and their shills, thought that this was going to be an indictment against the dems or to prop up the republicans, you are ignorant of Becks goal. Beck is exposing the culture of corruption in professional politicians. This wasn’t just preaching to the choir. I’d bet thousands of people who normally do not watch his show tuned in today. They got to see the complete immorality of politicians first hand. This guy not only made himself look like a despicable jerk, but he disparaged his family too. Most of us know these minions of Satan don’t care about anyone else, but now the uninitiated have seen that these guys will tie their families to the tracks in order to save their own a$$es.

Expect a huge surge in Tea Party attendance and political activism because of this show.

GREAT JOB GLENN!!!

csdeven on March 9, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I think what you have here are two very pleased with themselves conservatives. Both vying for position as what? Top conservative??
I think they both have points. I actually understand what glenn is doing. I think that there IS value to having massa on. Even though he’s obviously disgruntled, he also really has nothing too lose so why not tell the truth about obama and Rahm. Let the public come to their own conclusion as to whats true and whats not.
That said, I think he (Glenn) gets a bit carried away with the grand job of being Glenn Beck. He sometimes loses sight of the fact that others have an opinion and sometimes are at odds with his. And he seems to get pissy about it.

It’s because of this that I actually worry about him more than I probably do any other. I think he needs to sometimes get a grip and stop being so sensitive AS WELL as being too high on himself.

Handel on March 9, 2010 at 6:22 PM

silvernana on March 9, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Just because you didn’t get what you ASSUMED would be the outcome doesn’t mean Beck was expecting the same result.

csdeven on March 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM

ClassicCon on March 9, 2010 at 3:48 PM

WTF are you talking about?
He has a wife and children.
What? What does his ‘ass is covered’ mean?
You’ve lost it.

bridgetown on March 9, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Hawthorne on March 9, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I have to agree here. I don’t see the big deal.

JellyToast on March 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I had listened to the radio program and heard the whole thing. I believe Michelle was missing the point of what Beck was trying to accomplish with the Masa interview. I do think Beck was wrong in his response to Michelle and he even said was.

Beck is right in that we should be listening to what Masa has to say and if he is not being truthful Beck said he would call him out on it. Especially when we know the MSM will not cover this story truthfully.

I also heard what Beck said after the interview with Michelle and there was no “apparently” about it he publicly admitted he was wrong for getting upset with Michelle. He then apologized for his actions in what I thought was very sincere. Michelle did tell Beck they where still friends at the end of the interview. Even with that being said by Michele Beck did the right thing and genuinely apologized for the incident on the air.

So Ed maybe you should rewrite your post to say Beck did apologize and remove the “apparently.”

rsbarc011 on March 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Drudge headline:
FOXNEWS BECK TELLS AUDIENCE: ‘I’VE WASTED YOUR TIME’…

Well, Beck knows when to apologize. It wasn’t a great decision on his part (haven’t seen the whole interview), but Michelle was right – and Beck’s already acknowledged that.

It would’ve been worthwhile if he’d listened, but him giving Massa a venue actually will end up playing into his “politicians are liars” theme – especially when he goes back to show the video Michelle has of Massa saying “I’ll vote for it and damn my constitutents.”

We need both Michelle’s prudence and Glenn’s rashness. They’re both on the same side.

CPL 310 on March 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM

CPL 310 on March 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Well I don’t get that at all. She said it was a bad idea. To me it was simply a waste of time. I’ll bet others get on the band wagon and try to get Massa on their shows so they can get a ‘scoop.’

Deanna on March 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Malkin is a smart lady. Beck should have listened to her. Massa played him and it was painful. Beck will have a hard time living this down.

erp on March 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM

If you listen until the end he clearly states that Michelle has been “on the front lines of fighting this for a very long time”. He disagrees.

I think Michelle parted friendly, and that Beck’s problem with insecurity leaves him thinking that she’s not. I think he makes himself clear at ~11:30.

This is a stiff breeze in a teapot. This is a sort of Stockholm syndrome. The libs have beat us up so much about what others (of us?) are doing, that we seek to restrain each other for making our side “look bad” for something we think it unwise. The key is to look them in the face and say “Beck is his own person. He can do what he wants.”

Axeman on March 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Hawthorne on March 9, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Yeah, OK.

Tell us how you feel now….

AprilOrit on March 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM

In hindsight, after seeing the show, I think it’s clear that Michelle won the debate with Beck this morning, although not by a landslide because I don’t think there was any harm done aside from wasting an hour of millions of American’s time.

FloatingRock on March 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Starting today, Beck has a pay for section of his website. Hey, just like Bill O. He’s dead to me now.

Mr. Arrogant on March 9, 2010 at 6:56 PM

FloatingRock on March 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM

——————————————————-

Beck’s interview definitely showed Massa for what he is.

We have a concrete answer to Massa, Rahm and the WH.

No doubts.

ms on March 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM

FloatingRock on March 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM

How exactly did the worrywart Michelle win that “debate”? Her argument was that the interview would work to further Massa’s political career. Do you believe that happened in any way, shape, or form?

Bizarro No. 1 on March 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on March 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM

She was right, more so than Beck at any rate, that a full hour was unnecessary. Not only was she right, it turns out that even a few minutes would have been a waste of time. While she was wrong about it being harmful, (thus my comment that she didn’t win in a landslide), it did in fact give Massa, a lowlife scumbag, an extremely large platform from which to defend himself. The entire first half of the show, at least, was about him recuperating his image.

The interview was a waste—a mistake—Beck even said so himself, therefor Michelle won the debate even if she didn’t score on every point.

FloatingRock on March 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I guess the Drudge headline has changed:

MASSA MESO: THE INTERVIEWS, THE ‘BRIBES’, THE ‘STAR CHAMBER’

TheBigOldDog on March 9, 2010 at 7:27 PM

FloatingRock on March 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM

History has many examples of leaders so despondent at what they believed were terrible losses they were ready to take their own lives, only to realize later they had achieved their greatest victory ever.

In other words, you’ve got to wait to the smoke clears before declaring winners and losers.

TheBigOldDog on March 9, 2010 at 7:33 PM

She was right, more so than Beck at any rate, that a full hour was unnecessary.

That wasn’t really the argument.

Pablo on March 9, 2010 at 7:43 PM

FloatingRock on March 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM

She argued that it would be counterproductive, or detrimental to the conservative cause. Was it that, in any way, shape or form?

Pablo on March 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM

FloatingRock on March 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Go back and relisten to the discussion with Glenn – her argument was that Massa’s political career would, not just might, be furthered by the interview. She couldn’t have known ahead of time that the interview would benefit Massa the way she feared, and for all she knew it would damage him (which I think it clearly did).

Does Michelle disagree and think Massa helped his political future by coming off as a credible fighter of 0bamessiah’s corruption by talking to Glenn today? If so, I’d like to know what she ingested!

Even though Glenn said she was right that the interview was a mistake, unless it helped Massa’s political prospects, Michelle lost the debate.

Bizarro No. 1 on March 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Dark-Star on March 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Boy, ain’t that the truth! These talking heads have much to lose if everything doesn’t come up lollipops and roses, regardless of how they may personally feel about Obama and the other Marxists, but as you point out, they can take off with the wealth they had garnered up to that point.

Be that as it may, Beck has exposed much that the American people need to know about. But, at this point there is not much point in him bashing the Republican Party and putting them in the same boat as the Democratic Party…we are all already aware of the weaknesses of the Republican Party. But, we have to look at the people in control now, and realize that at the very least the Republican Party is the lesser of two evils.

If we ever get out of this mess, one, Beck will be irrelevant, and two, Americans will hopefully quit voting in knuckleheads time and again who do not have their best interests at heart, and I don’t mean the elitist, Liberal “we know what’s best for you” stuff, either.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I have long been a Malkin fan; however, Beck needs to quit bending and apologizing to every darn conservative. I have noticed when a conservative or a Republican smells blood, they can not resist the opportunity to make a punching bag out of a fellow Republican. For a solid year, we have endured Mark Levin’s endless critiques of Glenn Beck, and even if Beck has tolerated it without response, I am sickened by the whole crappy mess. Glenn needs to ignore Hot Air and Michelle Malkin. They do not set his agenda.

mobydutch on March 9, 2010 at 8:26 PM

So tired of this argument of people dogging on Beck because he has said Republicans and Democrats are the same….he is talking in generalities. What he means is progressives are in both parties, and wants both parties to purge themselves from the progressive cancer.
He isn’t saying someone like DeMint is like Obama. We have all said the same thing…support candidates not the party.

Conservative Voice on March 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Yes, Cindy. Considering his self-professed psychological profile, it’s probably a good thing to stay behind the yellow tape. Sometimes it’s like watching a clip from “The Hurt Locker”. ;)
Randy

williars on March 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM

having watched this video after seeing the Massa interview, Beck was right. Massa was exposed as a liar and trying to defend against the other shoe already dropping. It appeared a waste of time, but wasn’t, because Massa was fully exposed in the context of the unfolding events and what he said in the interview.

Willie on March 9, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Beck is erratic.

Michelle is a reliable constant.

I am on the side of the reliable constant.

Michelle has my back.

I put Beck on point.

Never the reverse.

Sherman1864 on March 9, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Glenn needs to ignore Hot Air and Michelle Malkin. They do not set his agenda.

mobydutch on March 9, 2010 at 8:26 PM

So what happens when the inevitiable happens when someone at Beck or Rush’s level says something? Let’s look at the “I hope he fails” situation. What conservative pundit wasn’t given a litmus test on that one? Not that any of them disagreed but I think if I were Michelle I would not want an “incident” taking place where she is asked to “explain” Beck. Rush, Levin, Hannity, Malkin, etc they know they are part of a group who are held (however unfairly) to each others actions so I can see why Malkin would want to talk to Beck about the downside before the predictable happens and the MSM goes WILD because they now have some anti-right ammunition and can start stuffing questions back to right-side pundits instead of answering questions like they always do.

Conan on March 9, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Both Beck and Malkin need an extended vacation. Both are worn and frazzled. And that goes for many on the right. They’re all turning on each other and that’s not good. You know, its really time to just put it in the Lords hands. DD

Darvin Dowdy on March 9, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Beck rules
detractors drools..

daesleeper on March 9, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Bizarro No. 1

It’s not his own career that Massa was trying to save, it was Obama and the congressional dems. Massa’s career as a legislator is over, but considering that he must have gotten a nice chunk of our stimulus money as a going away present, I won’t feel too sorry for him.

erp on March 9, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Just finished watching the Beck show with Massa. If you haven’t watched it, take a look at it before commenting.

It seems to me that Beck believed that Massa was willing to be a whistleblower. But Massa repeatedly refused to point out anything specific. At the end of the hour, Glenn apologized to his audience, saying “I think I may have just wasted your time.”

I’ll give Glenn credit for giving a person in trouble a chance to tell his side of the story, in hopes that we could take away some lessons. It’s not his fault that Massa’s was not cooperative. That said, I did believe Massa, oddly enough. I think he just got tired of all the BS in Congress, and when these allegations came up, he just threw in the towel.

hawksruleva on March 9, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Why do we have to pick a winner and loser between Beck and Malkin on this? They had a difference of opinion. If Michelle thought it was a waste of time, and perhaps gave Massa a chance to help his career, she’s entitled to that opinion.

If Beck wants to seek out knowledge whereever he finds it, and share that with his audience, he’s entitled to do that, too.

Life is not about scoring points.

hawksruleva on March 9, 2010 at 10:57 PM

In my opinion, this was just more proof that Michelle, with her sharp editorial instincts, should have her very own prime time opinion show. In the end, she was right, and Beck admits he just wasted time on a loser.

Zorro on March 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Zorro on March 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Well, since Michelle’s show broadcasts at…well there isn’t one.

Beck resonates somewheres, otherwise the ratings would drop and he wouldn’t be televised.

daesleeper on March 9, 2010 at 11:27 PM

I am anxiously awaiting the time when HA will provide controversial topics about all talk show radio hosts. Surely, Levin, Malkin, Rush, Hannity, Savage, and ……. have just a few imperfections to be discussed ad nausem by the bloggers at HA. It would be the fair and equal thing to do. I personally would enjoy the opportunity to ridicule Levin day after day because he is not the genius he thinks he is.

mobydutch on March 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM