Stupak: I haven’t caved on ObamaCare and I won’t agree to a future abortion bill

posted at 6:55 pm on March 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

A happy ending to last night’s cliffhanger. I think.

“Everyone’s going around saying there’s a compromise—there’s no such thing,” Stupak said. What’s changed between this week and last, Stupak went on, is that he had his first real conversation with Majority Leader Steny Hoyer and Congressman Henry Waxman about fixing the bill…

Stupak affirmed that he will not settle for an agreement to pass the bill now and fix the bill’s problems on abortion later: “If they say ‘we’ll give you a letter saying we’ll take care of this later,’ that’s not acceptable because later never comes.”…

“Members don’t have a whole lot of appetite to vote for the Senate bill as a stand alone bill–that’s for sure,” Stupak said. “If you’re going to correct these inequities in the Senate bill, you better tie bar it to something. No one wants to vote for a freestanding bill so they can be accused of voting for a special deal for Nebraska on Medicaid.”…

By “tie-bar,” Stupak means that all the fixes, including his amendment on abortion, would pass or fail all at the same time.

If he’s serious about everything being passed together then TNR’s proposal to pass an abortion fix later through the HHS appropriations bill is a nonstarter. But what about that weird jury-rigged Bill A/Bill B scheme that I wrote about earlier, by which the House would basically “merge” the Senate bill and the reconciliation fix and pass those first in order to force Reid to go through with reconciliation afterwards? Stupak’s “tie-bar” demand would mean they’d have to add Bill C — the abortion fix — and have the House “merge” that too by passing it with the other two bills, then Reid would have to somehow find 60 votes for Stupak’s abortion fix in the Senate. (Remember, because abortion is non-budgetary, it can’t be done through reconciliation.) Which brings us back to last night’s question: Would McConnell and the Republicans be smart enough to vote no or “present” on a Senate abortion fix, thereby dooming it to fail and making passage of the House’s “merged” bill impossible? I’m guessing … no. This is the GOP we’re talking about, after all. On to the tie-bar!

Comments

Yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it. Dems are all liars in my eyes.

andy85719 on March 9, 2010 at 6:56 PM

All Pelosi has to do is say Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia and Stupak will cave. Trust me.

Jim-Rose on March 9, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Eh, they will vote with Stupak… and it isn’t a dumb move at all… voting “present” is stupid…

ninjapirate on March 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM

allahpundit,
your back and forth reminds me of this clip from Chinatown.

rob verdi on March 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Which is impossible unless you forgo scoring on the reconciliation bill, WHICH MEANS IT IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR RECONCILIATION.

Cue the fat lady.

Chuck Schick on March 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Dr. K. had it right on the Fox panel a few minutes ago……

“Does Stupek want to be known as the guy who killed ObamaCare”?

I don’t think so and I don’t trust him.

Period. The. End.

Knucklehead on March 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM

The guys a Dem.

catmman on March 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Drudge has a great article,lifted my spirits anyway. Broad Business Coalition Opposing h/care bill. We need this right now desperately,up until now,noone has been willing to do this.

ohiobabe on March 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM

The only difference between a “moderate” democrat, the usual leftist democrat and a bag of sh1+ is the bag!

chickasaw42 on March 9, 2010 at 7:02 PM

If the two bills are tied together then they are one bill. The House bill would be changing the Senate bill, and it would have to go back to the Senate for full approval — no reconciliation. No only would they be violating the spirit of the rule, they would be violating the letter as well. The rule would be no more.

tommylotto on March 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Oh happy day I got my save the date card for the Census.
I can’t find words to accurately describe how inept I find this congress and administration.

ORconservative on March 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Can’t they just Kill the bill and put it out of our misery?

Chip on March 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Why would you do it after all you’ve been through Bart? Because you’re a man of the Left. You can betray your principles and be welcomed into the bosom of your ideology.

IronDioPriest on March 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM

The fact that he is still saying this is a good thing. If he can keep this up until the Easter recess I don’t think it will have any hope of passing. Not only that, the fact that hes out there saying no to the bill makes other Dem’s think otherwise about voting yes. No one Dem wants to be responsible for killing this, but if there are enough nos that responsibility can be diffused to the point of indifference, well, that will do just fine.
Democrats are like bananas, they are all yellow and they hang in bunches. This is how the bill will die.

Gatsu on March 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I still don’t trust this. I want to, but can’t. We’ve been burned on this so many times, the only place to look now, is down!!!

capejasmine on March 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Oh for crying out loud. Just shaddup and do what you’re going to do, Stupak. We’re sick of your antics.

One good thing will come of the debacle that will be known as the Debacle of Obama: We The People sure got edjumacated on exactly what you creeps are doing and we will not stand for it. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for what you have done to America.

Key West Reader on March 9, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Whoa.

You guys are leaving me no choice but to be the (possibly stupid)voice of reason here.

I’m willing to take this guy at his word. There are all kinds of different Democrats.

I happen to really like my hippy neighbors that actually own books signed by Jimmy carter. They’re good people.

Good people can disagree.

Dorvillian on March 9, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I’m from Bart Stupid’s district and you can believe that he will lie through his teeth and will fold like a wet blanket! He can’t be trusted any further than you can pick him up and throw him. HE IS A DEMOCRAT! They all will say anything to fool the public and then turn around and do the opposite. Do not trust him!

flytier on March 9, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Ben Nelson introduced Stupak language as an amendment, but could only get 45 votes.

Wethal on March 9, 2010 at 7:12 PM

BTW, it is dumb because if Republicans obstruct anything Stupak is doing then it gives those moderate dems coverage to just vote for the bill as it is… so any dreams of Republicans voting down Stupak in order to kill ObamaCare are just stupid…

If this all does go through, Republicans shouldn’t be too mad… they’ll have plenty to run on… taxes go into effect 2011… the actual plan goes into affect 2014 or so IIRC… there is no public option… and if Stupak’s amendment will be a tough thing to swallow for a lot on the left…

ninjapirate on March 9, 2010 at 7:12 PM

The Stupake haters here are annoying… good lord STFU…

ninjapirate on March 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I think he is in such a spotlight now that he can’t fold, especially after what happened to Ben Nelson. Stupak might like to go out for a pizza now and then.

And any language would be carefully scrutinized after Nelson fell for what Sebelius later admitted was an accounting gimmick.

Wethal on March 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Oh happy day I got my save the date card for the Census.

ORconservative on March 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Wow. Imagine the strategic planning. I think you might be in Oregon and here I am in Floriduh and I got my “save the date” letter, too!

I’m going to use the first page to declare the # of residents in my household as Americans, and the other 10 pages to pick up dog pooh.

Key West Reader on March 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Why would you do it after all you’ve been through Bart? Because you’re a man of the Left. You can betray your principles and be welcomed into the bosom of your ideologiocy.

FIFY
IronDioPriest on March 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM

cableguy615 on March 9, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it. Dems are all liars in my eyes.

andy85719 on March 9, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I agree they can’t be trusted to govern.

whbates on March 9, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Here’s Britain’s socialized health care success story of the day:

Dead body was left on bed next to me for eight hours: Patient tells of horror on packed ward

An NHS patient has spoken of her horror after the body of a woman was left in an adjacent bed for up to eight hours.

Sarah Stevenson, 64, said staff left the corpse on a packed ward from 1pm until after 8.30pm.

Two other patients who died on the same day were also left for several hours behind thin curtains on the ward where Mrs Stevenson was being treated for pneumonia, she said.
Sarah Stevenson

‘Appalled’: Sarah Stevenson claimed dead bodies were left on a busy hospital ward for up to eight hours causing an ‘horrendous stench’

The three bodies were finally removed in front of distressed families and young children during visiting hours.

Sharke on March 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

The Stupake haters here are annoying… good lord STFU…

ninjapirate on March 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Uneducated
Knuckle Draggers
Gun Lovers
Bible Clingers
Tea Baggers
Racists!

Did I miss anything there, Ninja Pirate?

Key West Reader on March 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Stupak will be bought, they all have a price. Stimulus dollars will pave the way for flipping as many demoncRATS as needed.
2 bit whores have more dignity.

mountainmanbob on March 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

So, the “negotiations” have just begun?

d1carter on March 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Yeah, it’s a panic a day with the Dems – They don’t even trust each other, how the hell can we trust them?

AUINSC on March 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Sorry, I wish I could trust this, but if a Democrat is willing to vote for this abomination of a bill, I don’t think he’d let the morality of abortion funding stop him in the end..

Can’t trust a Blue Dog, isn’t that what we’ve learned the last year? I hope so.

We already know we can’t trust RINOs, and BlueFrauds are beneath even them.

(BlueFraud is a term coined by this poster

rightwingyahooo on March 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Wethal on March 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Are you from his district? Have you heard him lie to you time after time? He wasn’t going to vote for Obamacare and then he was in spite of the fact that his district is opposed to it 3 to 1, because we are too stupid to know what’s good for us. He’s done everything possible to kill jobs in northern Michigan and will continue to do so until he is thrown out of office.

flytier on March 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM

“[W]hy would I do it now after all the crap I’ve been through?”

Because the only difference between a Democrat’s word and toilet paper is that toilet paper has some value to society.
Obamacare was never intended to be an abortion bill and there will be a way that Bart is able to cave and still claim he was a victor. His district simply isn’t all that conservative.

highhopes on March 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I don’t trust any male who has hair like that. You can tell he spends way too much time on it.

LtE126 on March 9, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Obviously this Stupak fellow doesn’t bathe in the Congressional work out showers.

portlandon on March 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM

HE WILL CAVE!

Joe Caps on March 9, 2010 at 7:21 PM

If the house passes the senate bill, Obama will sign it into law. Game. Set. Match. There will be no further adjustments.

Dale on March 9, 2010 at 7:21 PM

The Stupake haters here are annoying… good lord STFU…

ninjapirate on March 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I count no fewer than eight times that Stupak’s name is mentioned at the top of the thread. How stupid are you that you can’t spell it correctly in your one annoying and worthless line of troll drool?

highhopes on March 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM

may be an ending, but I don’t foresee any happy endings in this thing….

ted c on March 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Yes, in the end, Stupak will be another Nelson, and vote yes.

Bank it.

Of course, this is one of those where you’d live to be wrong….

rightwingyahooo on March 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM

hold out for your piece o’ the pie Bart! Going rate is $300million.

ted c on March 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM

You are very annoying. Let me save you the troll trouble:

Key West Reader on March 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Please refrain from enabling the trolls! :-0

highhopes on March 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I think we all know what he is, they are just negotiating price now. He is a dem, do not trust him.

lukespapa on March 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM

When the final vote is cast, I will see how you did stupak. Who got to you? How much did they pay you? Did you see the others who were not for this changed their mind? Can you sleep at night knowing you have cratered our Republic if you vote for this?
You better have gobs of money someplace to see you and your family can live the life you have been given to you by your voters.
L

letget on March 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM

2 bit whores have more dignity.

mountainmanbob on March 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I thought the same thing at first. But my gut is telling me he has more to gain on this by standing his ground than he would if he sold out. All eyes are on this now. Any backrooming will be quickly aired, and Pelosi can’t add anything on the bill with out. Stupack could be angling for something much bigger than just abortion here. Like carving a nice slice of power out of Pelosi’s hide.

Gatsu on March 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Maybe Glenn Beck will have Stupak on TV for an hour long, tell all interview…

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on March 9, 2010 at 7:27 PM

flytier on March 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Did he have national media attention on him then? Even liars get nervous when their every word is watched and think hard about sticking to the truth. or not.

And even though he’s an untrustworthy hack, he may realize that now that he’s in the spotlight, faking integrity might be the best career choice.

Wethal on March 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Uneducated
Knuckle Draggers
Gun Lovers
Bible Clingers
Tea Baggers
Racists!

Hey! That’s some good boilerplate! I’m going to borrow it to shoo trolls away.

Good Lt on March 9, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Nancy ain’t got the votes. The House does not trust the Senate. Hoyer is now saying ‘there is no deadline’.

GarandFan on March 9, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Did I miss anything there, Ninja Pirate?

Key West Reader on March 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Fishermen

thomasaur on March 9, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Did I miss anything there, Ninja Pirate?

Key West Reader on March 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Key West Reader: Ugh,how could you,I’m a “Bitter-erer”!

(and,i’m kidding,jus try’n to help):)

canopfor on March 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I’ve got a question: Even if Obama were able to buy off Stupak, is that enough for the other dozen or so to follow suit? We always focus on Stupak without realizing that even if he plays ball with Pelosi, it doesn’t mean the others siding with him will; and if Stupak knows that then he doesn’t want to be the first to cave when the other Blue Dogs stand strong. That would make him look very very bad, and it would expose Pelosi as having bought of Stupak singularly. Maybe that’s why Stupak is really stuck here.

Weight of Glory on March 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Me thinks,and Hopes,that Team Republican has the audacity
to vote no,and send it back to which it came,and torpedo
this beast!!

Failure,H*ll Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on March 9, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I’d be more concerned with Republican defections and retiring GOP members suddenly getting ambasadorships were it not for the fact that the American public is clearly on the side of voting no. Best GOP strategy at this point is to string this along as far as possible to make the Dems look even more pathetic. Keep in mind something is going to pass. The GOP needs to make it as ugly and partisan as possible before Pelosi and Reid raise their withered talons along with the filthy lying coward in the White House for a “victory” photo-op.

highhopes on March 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM

One thing we are all forgetting is just how much the public has turned against this. The first go around there was risk when voting yay, now that risk is ten fold, and radioactive, and its riding a bear. The Dems do not want this, they are looking for an out and this is a nice easy cover. They can tar the right for abortion and then campaign on “next time we will get it right!” I think this is going to split the party, much like they were expecting the right to do. The Obamacrats and the Clintoncrats.

Gatsu on March 9, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I’m with Hannity.

Even this Stupak guy can be bought.

I don’t trust any of them, and very few Republicans as well. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if Olympia passes the deciding vote….for the monstrosity.

notagool on March 9, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Weight of Glory on March 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

He runs the risk of being called on it by one of his group. Which would make it difficult to hold himself out as “pro-life” in the future.

Ben Nelson now has that problem because he fell for Sebelius’ accounting gimmick (not that Nelson doesn’t have worse problems…)

Wethal on March 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Did I miss anything there, Ninja Pirate?

Key West Reader on March 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Don’t forget…

… we are all gay!

Seven Percent Solution on March 9, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Gatsu,
Yeah, he is holding out alright…..
for more pork, graft, whatever it takes.
Your first instinct was correct, they usually are. He will cave.

mountainmanbob on March 9, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Somehow, someway, this thing will fall apart.

Too many moving parts, folks.

DrW on March 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Stupak will cave . Retiring members and blue dogs will cave . They are toast anyway .

borntoraisehogs on March 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM

My gut tells me to trust him. Therefore, I will.

SouthernGent on March 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Good. There are only two reasons why Stupak would have agreed to putting the abortion restrictions in another bill.

1) He’s a total rube who would actually believe it would even come to a vote.

2) He’s not really pro-life and wouldn’t care if it passed anyways.

We’ll see what happens.

KSgop on March 9, 2010 at 7:47 PM

$300 million is the floor on his vote. Does he have a brother who wants to be a judge? What does he want? Maybe Rahm can meet him in the shower? They’ll find his price and pay it.

Dale on March 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I’ve got a question: Even if Obama were able to buy off Stupak,

Weight of Glory on March 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Weight of Glory: I’ll add a question to yours,with all
the Dealing and Wheeling that Hopey is
busy railing about as typical Washington,

is,the American Peoples Business actually
being done in Washington,or has Team Obama,
AxleRod,and Rahm moved CHICAGO DIRTY POLI
TICS into WASHINGTON!!!!

And again,with all the behind closed doors,
screwing around,I think,Obama is making the
Nixon WaterGate episode look like a grade
one school play,in whats really going on in
Corruption of the Obama Administration!!:)

canopfor on March 9, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Don’t forget…

… we are all gay!

Seven Percent Solution on March 9, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Seven PercentSolution: D*mmit SPS,you outed us!!(sarc).:)

canopfor on March 9, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Dale on March 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Dale: Yup,those seems to be the Liberal Options!!

I wonder what the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Price is

for Bipartisanship!!

canopfor on March 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM

My gut tells me to trust him. Therefore, I will.

SouthernGent on March 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Mine too.

And I’ve been barraging it with McRibs and Olde Milwaukee for almost 3 decades, so it’s pretty strong.

Chuck Schick on March 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM

What is the price of 30 pieces of silver today? Isn’t it appropriate that the Dems are pushing this travesty right before Easter? Judas anyone?

immigrantchick on March 9, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I used to be a Democrat. This explains why I wised up. Rep. Stupak, please stick to your guns.

Mason on March 9, 2010 at 8:25 PM

He’ll cave.

yoda on March 9, 2010 at 8:44 PM

immigrantchick on March 9, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Depends on the size of your piece of silver, but if we assume 1-ounce pieces, with silver trading at 17.28 per ounce as of even date, then 30 × 17.28 = $518.40.

Stupak may be a w#0re, but I don’t think he’s that cheap.
:-P

Mary in LA on March 9, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Interesting, that 30 pieces of silver. Not worth a huge amount by today’s standards, but judging from the fact that the elders used it to buy a pretty good-sized field, it was clearly intended to be enough to have set Judas up for life.

Mary in LA on March 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I am so happy that he did not cave. I really do believe that Stupak, while generally yuck, will stick to his guns on this. But I am going to be wary on this and continue to pray and send in messages to Stupak’s office(if the need be).

Shogun144 on March 9, 2010 at 9:21 PM

notagool on March 9, 2010 at 7:38 PM

You may be right. It wouldn’t surprise me that, while attention is focused on Stewy, behind the scenes there are more serious courtships going on.

Itchee Dryback on March 9, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I’m sick of all the fatalistic whining on here. Damn you sound like a bunch of rejected prom girls!

Man up damnit! Here comes the Calvary! March in front of their homes, offices, call, write, fax!

Tell the Bastards that if they pass this they have far more than the next election to fear, They had better fear coming home to their communities, their churches and their resturants.
The Alinskys want you to give up.
For 11 months they have sert deadlines and siad they are close its just around the corner.
THEY DON”T HAVE THE VOTES!

Fight damnit there will plenty of time to whine and cry if you fail to make the pandering clowns fear you more than they fear Pinnochio!

dhunter on March 9, 2010 at 10:04 PM

ohiobabe on March 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Would it be too obvious to say how much I love coalitions of broads? ;-)

Hawkins1701 on March 9, 2010 at 10:05 PM

This whore just hasn’t had his price met yet. He’s aiming for something like the Cornhusker Kickback or the Louisiana Purchase.

wildcat84 on March 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I’ll believe it when he’s dancing on the grave of ZeroCare. If

Maquis on March 10, 2010 at 12:14 AM

A happy ending to last night’s cliffhanger. I think.

I wish I could believe that.

He said he’s optimistic something can be worked out. That means he wants to pass something. Pelosi also wants to pass something. They’ll find a way.

He can:
A) sell-out for pork.
B) cave under threats from Pelosi
C) trick himself into thinking he’s not caving when he is
D) get a genuine concession from Pelosi that will shortly be reversed in separate legislation
E) Any combination of the above
F) Some extra creative method of selling out that hasn’t made this list.

Because the history of politics is that liberalism escapes all barriers. Liberalism breaks free. Liberalism expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But liberalism finds a way.

RINO in Name Only on March 10, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Dale on March 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Well, the one thing we know is that Stupak’s price is higher than tickets to sit in Obama’s box at the Russian Ballet.

Stupak disclosed at his Monday night town hall meeting that The One recently offered those to him and he politely declined.

He also told his constituents that he thought they would pass a HCR bill sometime this year. Doesn’t sound to me like anyone is anywhere near meeting a deadline.

Greyledge Gal on March 10, 2010 at 5:02 AM

Order more popcorn. IF Stupak sticks to his guns, then the only way out for the House is to pass an entirely new bill by ammending ‘fixes’ and ping pong it back to the Senate for a non-reconcilliation vote. Ball’s in your court Harry.

I wonder how Brown will vote????

percysunshine on March 10, 2010 at 6:29 AM

Did I miss anything there, Ninja Pirate?

Key West Reader on March 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

You forgot the worst insult of all.

Palinistas

MarkTheGreat on March 10, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Greyledge Gal on March 10, 2010 at 5:02 AM

Good. Over Easter break, let’s make sure they hear from us. They’re already nervous as cats near a bathtub…let’s give ‘em multiple dunkings and send them back to D.C. sodden and whimpering.

Grace_is_sufficient on March 10, 2010 at 8:10 AM

That sound I heard this morning while watching Fox and eating breakfast wasn’t the rain.
It was Stupak pissin all over Pinnochios’ deadline and then followed by Waxman who said he told Rahm that deadlines aren’t heplful!

Translation: THEY DON’T HAVE THE VOTES!

This is not lost! Now hold their feet to the fire. Make them more afraid of returning home after a yes vote than they are of Pinnochio and Nasty Pee.

If Stupak holds to his words this morning, and he said he hasn’t even seen Pinnochios’ bill he talked about last week, the only way I see this getting through is like a poster above said, adding in abortion amendments and ping ponging back to the senate for another 60 vote requirement!

dhunter on March 10, 2010 at 9:32 AM

This from Drudge and check out the deadlines. This isn’t a done deal. Stupak must fear the people he has to live with at home more than a discredited and rejected by the people Presidente!

Call, write, fax, visit their offices with tar and feathers! Make them afraid very afraid!

dhunter on March 10, 2010 at 9:46 AM