Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on March 9, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

If you wonder how a President who has presided over the biggest deficits in American history can scold people over the budget gaps, perhaps it’s because Barack Obama can’t do math. In his speech at Arcadia University yesterday, Obama extolled the benefits of his ObamaCare package, claiming that it would save a trillion dollars over the next decade. Cut the man a little slack, though — he was only off by $868 billion:

“Our cost-cutting measures mirror most of the proposals in the current Senate bill, which reduces most people’s premiums and brings down our deficit by up to $1 trillion dollars over the next decade because we’re spending our health care dollars more wisely,” Obama told an audience at Arcadia University in Glenside, Pa., a suburb north of Philadelphia.

Obama was so proud of these cost-saving numbers in the latest version of health care reform, he delved into a bit of Washington-speak to back them up.

“Those aren’t my numbers,” Obama said to the rising applause of the estimated 1,300 in attendance. “They are the savings determined by the Congressional Budget Office, which is the nonpartisan, independent referee of Congress for what things cost.”

But the budget office did not say the Senate health care bill would save $1 trillion over the next decade — or even close to that figure.

It estimated the bill would save $132 billion from 2010 to 2019, leaving Obama’s “next decade” estimate $868 billion short.

Those aren’t his numbers? They weren’t the CBO’s numbers, either. Maybe they were Nancy Pelosi’s numbers. Heck, he’s outsourced the entire bill to the House Speaker … why not its math, too?

Comments

Naw, I thibk it’s Barry’s very own made up bull.

katy the mean old lady on March 9, 2010 at 8:09 AM

It doesn’t matter, the press will cover for him.

He can flat out lie and the press will cover for him and most people will never know.

cozmo on March 9, 2010 at 8:10 AM

The filthy lying coward is clearly on the campaign trail. He tells these lies, gets the applause from the SEIU thugs bussed in for the events, and the state-run media reports it all with an uncritical eye to detail.

It is for this reason that Obamacare will pass and the bastard will continue his lies even as the nation suffers from the results of his bad leadership.

highhopes on March 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Step 1: Take over all medical budgeting

Step 2: ????

Step 3: One trillion dollars saved!

apostic on March 9, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Empress Pelosi: “Math is hard”.

Most politicians have been more skillful in their lies. Dear Liar’s “misstatements” are crude, and the one part of His administration that are transparent. It’s clear that The Whine is in over His head. Impeachment or resignation now.

rbj on March 9, 2010 at 8:12 AM

You lie.

rogerb on March 9, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Obama Confuses Decades, Inflates Estimated Health Care Savings by $868B
=================
Well,shazaam,that means in the Leftoid world,HealthCare
is already ahead by 868 Bizzilian dollars,and its not even
voted on yet!!

See,that proves,Smart Power,is over rated!!!

canopfor on March 9, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I’m quite confident that ABC, CBS, & NBC will fact-check his speech like they used to do during the last administration.

jgapinoy on March 9, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Can’t control people when you tell the truth.

yoda on March 9, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Austin Powers – 100 billion dollars

canopfor on March 9, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Oh, but let’s not mention how the second decade, from 2019 forward, soars to new debts and deficits. We’ll all be melted by global warming by then—-so who cares?

Rovin on March 9, 2010 at 8:17 AM

He has no real idea what he’s doing. The smartest man in the world, the guy who can make the oceans recede and the poor rise from poverty can’t even get a grip on the basic facts.

mr.blacksheep on March 9, 2010 at 8:18 AM

highhopes on March 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM

I agree, he will get something passed…but I take some comfort in the fact that the media’s coverage is beginning to show a cracked veneer. Check out the snarky LAT article under “Headlines” regarding the tax day space summit. They actually point out how empty the rhetoric from the WH press office is.

Chewy the Lab on March 9, 2010 at 8:18 AM

But really, what are the odds that the people in his audience are going to double check his math? Or the media?

myrenovations on March 9, 2010 at 8:19 AM

The man can’t even correctly calculate the number of states. What do you expect?

Disturb the Universe on March 9, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Cambridge, Massachusetts joke:

A student type gets in an express checkout isle in a supermarket.

The cashier sees 24 items when a sign over the aisle had a posted limit of 12.

So she asks: “Are you from MIT and you can’t read or do you go to Harvard and you can’t count?”

IlikedAUH2O on March 9, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Do you have any idea how awkward it is to argue politics with a naked man?

TXUS on March 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Say whatever you want Barry – the MSM will cover you, and most of the sheeple Americans will never discover the truth. Lie, repeat, lie, repeat, etc.

Maybe I just never noticed it before but for the last 15+ years, politician seem to think that they can stand on camera in torrential pouring rain, telling people about the glorious sunny weather, and think that most people watching will believe it was a sunny day.

And sadly, a lot of them are right.

rockbend on March 9, 2010 at 8:24 AM

It’s not a lie if you believe it!

ladyingray on March 9, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I give him a solid BS+

RBMN on March 9, 2010 at 8:26 AM

It’s not a lie if you believe it!

ladyingray on March 9, 2010 at 8:24 AM

That would be a delusion.
I’m not sure which is worse.

Disturb the Universe on March 9, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Can’t do math, Ed? No, he lies with tremendous ease and fluidity. The facts don’t matter to him, and any means to achieve his ends are acceptable. That is the dishonesty and cynicism that got him elected, and it seems he knows no other way. It worked two years ago, and I fear that it will work again. I despair for America with such a dishonest, ideologically driven idiot at her helm.

ProfessorMiao on March 9, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Do you have any idea how awkward it is to argue politics with a naked man?

TXUS on March 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM

ROTFL. Good one!

milwife88 on March 9, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Humph. I wonder why he didn’t got for the gold when he was making $hit up. Why not say $2 trillion, or even $3 trillion? Nobody would have said anything about it. When all you got is lies, go big.

Johnnyreb on March 9, 2010 at 8:35 AM

He only lies when his lips are moving.

kingsjester on March 9, 2010 at 8:40 AM

This is why I don’t watch the nationalized media. I just turn the dribble off, read transcripts, and form my own opinions.

jbh45 on March 9, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Do you have any idea how awkward it is to argue politics with a naked man?

TXUS on March 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM

TXUS: Like Barney Frank,in a bathrobe,ahem!!(i kid).

canopfor on March 9, 2010 at 8:43 AM

What is Barry smoking? Potheads can’t do math

steviedfromnc on March 9, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Presumably, he also trusts the CBO when it says that thanks to him, we’ll be adding almost 10 trillion dollars to the debt over the next ten years.

Tonus on March 9, 2010 at 8:45 AM

The facts don’t matter to him, and any means to achieve his ends are acceptable. That is the dishonesty and cynicism that got him elected, and it seems he knows no other way. ProfessorMiao
That is oppressive tyranny, and like Mao and Alinsky he plans to ram it through because he thinks he can. He won. FIFY.

indypat on March 9, 2010 at 8:46 AM

What an idiot.

JamesLee on March 9, 2010 at 8:48 AM

What a tool. This is what it’s like to live in a banana republic. I spent several summers living in Latin America. The frustration they live with everyday is what we have been brought by Obailout. We’re screwed.

Mojave Mark on March 9, 2010 at 8:49 AM

This is the same gang that can’t shoot straight whose CBO had to reveal this past weekend,that Obama’s deficit estimates from that crack economic team of “adults” was off by over a Trillion dollars.

…..and with almost 4 million jobs lost since it’s signing….the stimulus is working….righhhhhhhht…

…..looks like Obama’s “Profit to Earnings” ratio reports are letting him down…..

Baxter Greene on March 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM

His whole political career is an Obamateurism Abomination.

Mr_Magoo on March 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM

We all had a tip-off that this administration doesn’t do math. It was when Biden said that they were going to be concentrating on the three letter word: J-O-B-S!

highhopes on March 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM

This was at a university in Philly folks, not likely any of the students is going to parse what his lies may or may not be.

thomasaur on March 9, 2010 at 8:55 AM

His whole political career is an Obamateurism Abomination

Mr_Magoo on March 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM

His whole political career has been a sham facade of centrist moderation and gender politics. He’s never had a real job nor has he ever stuck around in elective office long enough to see the ramifications of his bad judgement, lack of vision, and stale socialist dogma. The chickens are coming home to roost in 2010 because there is no higher office readily available for the filthy lying coward to jump to before he has to account for his first 18 months ruining this nation.

highhopes on March 9, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Chewy the Lab on March 9, 2010 at 8:18 AM
He had to come up with something to get his happy a$$ out of town on tax day.

katy the mean old lady on March 9, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Judge Judy has an applicable quote: Don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining.

The reason Odamna’s math is so bad is two-fold. One, he did not have the benefit of an American education; Two, with accurate math, the figures simply don’t add up. Finally, his philosophy is, “Tell ‘em what they want to hear and do what I want to do. To heck with the consequences.”

This poseur is dedicated to the elimination of American Exceptionalism and the installation of American Mediocrity.

I weep for my nation.

Crusader Rabbit on March 9, 2010 at 8:59 AM

I suspect that the reason Obumble’s college records are sealed is that he flunked economics. Probably had a lower undergrad GPA than – horrors! – George W. Bush!

JayVee on March 9, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Do you have any idea how awkward it is to argue politics with a naked man?

TXUS on March 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM

No and, God willing, I never will!

I now have this image of Rahm charging into the homes of insurance company CEOs and assaulting them while they are taking their morning showers.

highhopes on March 9, 2010 at 9:01 AM

JayVee on March 9, 2010 at 9:01 AM

College records sealed, birth certificate never produced, early life as a Muslim never fully explained…… What exactly do we know about the filthy lying coward in the White House that isn’t purely scripted and sanitized for political purposes? I thought the Clintons were expert at hiding their dirty laundry but this bastard should be working for the CIA!

highhopes on March 9, 2010 at 9:03 AM

The United States of America has to institute an PC CAT TEST
(Presidential Candidate Comprehensive Assessment Test)
to administer to any candidate for president to be taken before they qualify to campaign for the office of president.
Clearly, the absolute dummy we have in the White House couldn’t pass any state basic skills test for grade school kids.

Cybergeezer on March 9, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Any lie, any exaggeration, any misstatement of fact, any obfuscation at all, are the hallmarks of corrupt politicians. Øbummer may not think he is corrupt but he is, all in the name of “progress” and “saving my presidency.”
His morals and ethics would be a good template for a made-for-TV-movie villain. “I just got caught up in the corruption! Events overwhelmed me!”

ExpressoBold on March 9, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I don’t know who’s worse at pulling things out their ass and pretending they are real – the president or the vice president. Both say the most ridiculous things and the press never bats an eye.

Speaking of complete idiots, the VP is meeting with Israelis and Palestinians this week. The “Joe Biden Says Something Really Stupid” meter is twitching.

RobertE on March 9, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Not his fault.
Cigarette had a little Jimson weed in it.

TimBuk3 on March 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM

My momma always told me I would be judged by the company I kept.
I’m sure glad this turd was never in my neighborhood.

Cybergeezer on March 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM

And it only saves an estimated $132 billion over the next decade because the taxes and fees kick in right away, while the benefits don’t start getting paid out for 3 or 4 years. A cute gimmick to get the CBO to say the plan saves money over the next decade, but it’s a gimmick they can only use once. The following decades, it runs heavily in the red — but I’m guessing Barry didn’t boast about that inconvenient fact, did he?

AZCoyote on March 9, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Let’s take the numbers out of it.
Since math is so hard for Barry.
How can you create a huge new government program and save money?
Just answer that, Chicago jesus.

ORconservative on March 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Hey Harvard:
I’m making sure none of my grand kids apply to your school.
They are already too smart for an institution like yours.

Cybergeezer on March 9, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Is this bill that The One talks about, out there for us to see?

Electrongod on March 9, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Hey…what do you mean he can’t do simple arithmetic? Didn’t he graduate from Harvard…or something?

sdd on March 9, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Unfortunately Mr. President has no idea how much the health care plan is going to end up costing. Nor does he care. It’s all about power and control.

scalleywag on March 9, 2010 at 10:08 AM

He may or may not be able to do math. The bottom line is this: He’s a liar.

Buy Danish on March 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I’d be willing to bet they’re Andy Stern’s numbers.

UltimateBob on March 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM

I also don’t think Mr. President has a clue as to what “affordable” means to the average American. My health care is affordable only because my employer pays for most of it. If I had to pay the full amount I’d have to cancel my coverage.

scalleywag on March 9, 2010 at 10:16 AM

He probably can’t do math, but that’s not the issue with his lying about numbers.

He simply doesn’t care about what anything costs. The only reason he ever brings a cost up is to make a political point.

He’s redistributing baby, and the cost of it doesn’t matter to him one little bit. He’s correcting injustices, like any god does.

notagool on March 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM

If he was a salesman giving me an estimate for work to be done on something that I owned, and he was off by that much! Ouch, he would not be getting my business. He’s not even paying attention to what he’s saying anymore. The media won’t correct it and those who still love him will buy it. He’s inflated lying to a new level.

Kissmygrits on March 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM

The Attorney, Community Agitator & President has a long history of extorting money from people and institutions.

He sees the big picture & can’t be expected to count the spare change at the bottom of the get-away bag.

R Square on March 9, 2010 at 10:18 AM

I don’t believe that Obama’s error was unintentional.

Classic demagoguery. The shame of it is that even many of our highly educated either (1) fall for it or (2) endorse its use. I’m not sure which is worse, though I’m leaning toward (20 being worse.

Ira on March 9, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Technically, he was correct, but perhaps redundant:

up to $1 trillion dollars

(That means “up to one trillion dollars dollars”.)

Assuming that what he really said was “up to one trillion dollars”, what does that phrase mean? It means exactly the same as “no more than one trillion dollars”. And clearly, the real number is not more than one trillion.

What Obama is doing here is leading people to think he said something he didn’t really say, so he can have the benefit of them believing the savings will be greater but at the same time being able to defend his numbers. It’s called “advertising”.

Language Martinet Peeve: When a commercial says “Save up to 50% OR MORE!!!”, it means nothing, because any percentage is either “up to” or “more” than the number given.

The Monster on March 9, 2010 at 10:29 AM

jgapinoy on March 9, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Only if he gives a speech during the SNL opening monologue.

Or, if Sarah Palin repeats it somewhere.

jana on March 9, 2010 at 10:38 AM

When you don’t have to work for what you get, you can’t appreciate the value of things. Obama has spent his entire life having things handed to him, solely because of the color of his skin. Call it reverse racism or affirmative action, but he doesn’t have any concept of how much it takes in the real world for people to achieve, or to just get by. His worldview is that there is someone out there handing this stuff out, because that’s how he got his. And because he wants to be adored by everyone he comes into contact with, he thinks that being the biggest hander-outer ever will accomplish that goal.

Left Coast Right Mind on March 9, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Everytime I hear this charlatan speak, I am reminded of some generic courtroom scene from The Practice where the attorney will demagogue and put some point out there, then retract it upon objection, even though the damage has been done.

Huckabye-Romney on March 9, 2010 at 10:48 AM

He can do math.

He just can’t do truth.

Daggett on March 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM

JayVee on March 9, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Obama the “affirmative action” president.

Dasher on March 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Spot on, Dasher!

BHO Jonestown on March 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

It doesn’t matter, the press will cover for him.

cozmo on March 9, 2010

You are right, of course, but we still have hope that the constant pounding (truth-telling) by the slowly growing alternative media will have an effect on the moribund, lamestream, Obama-fellating media so that, by 2012, the vast wave of repeaters (formerly reporters) will grow tired of spewing the lies that kill their own credibility and finally begin to speak the truth. We are seeing little threads of that truth wafting in the breeze now. How soon will we see great king-size sheets of truth? I used to believe never. Now I have a bit more faith than I had before.

SKYFOX on March 9, 2010 at 12:03 PM

It sends chills down my spine, that this imbecile is running what was once the most powerful nation on earth. Now , because of him, we probably all look like a bunch of dunder heads to the world.

capejasmine on March 9, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Eh, what’s 868 Billion among Socialist Tyrants anyway?

infidel4life on March 9, 2010 at 1:13 PM

But he didn’t say it with a negr0 accent!

Alden Pyle on March 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM

He only lies when his lips are moving.

kingsjester on March 9, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Unless he’s typing.

Army Brat on March 9, 2010 at 3:12 PM

And it’s “Pay/Go”
Pay now; Go later.

Cybergeezer on March 9, 2010 at 3:12 PM

This is just like a sale of “up to” 75%. When you get there the sale is really for 5% except for the first customer.

AnotherOpinion on March 9, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Billion Trillion?
Who can expect the smartest president ever to keep these little things straight?

Slowburn on March 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Can’t read(corpseman)
Can’t do elementary math
Doesn’t know history
Can’t understand an auto insurance policy
Doesn’t speak English very well(Pockeeston)
Can’t remember who is in his cabinet
Real ‘fing genius we have there.
Please feel free to add to the list.I’m sure the rest of you folks can come up with more examples of Bambi’s incredible intelligence than I can.

DDT on March 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM