ESPN: Obama may ban recreational fishing or something

posted at 6:26 pm on March 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that he will not, in fact, ban fishing, but the meta-narrative is so irresistible — elitist President Arugula coming to grab the bitter-clingers’ rods and reels! — that it simply must be blogged.

Odds of a Palin Facebook comment: High.

The Obama administration will accept no more public input for a federal strategy that could prohibit U.S. citizens from fishing the nation’s oceans, coastal areas, Great Lakes, and even inland waters…

Consequently, unless anglers speak up and convince their Congressional representatives to stop this bureaucratic freight train, it appears that the task force will issue a final report for “marine spatial planning” by late March, with President Barack Obama then issuing an Executive Order to implement its recommendations — whatever they may be.

Led by NOAA’s Jane Lubchenco, the task force has shown no overt dislike of recreational angling, but its indifference to the economic, social and biological value of the sport has been deafening…

As ESPN previously reported, WWF, Greenpeace, Defenders of Wildlife, Pew Environment Group and others produced a document entitled “Transition Green” shortly after Obama was elected in 2008. What has happened since suggests that the task force has been in lockstep with that position paper

“With what’s being created, the same principles could apply inland as apply to the oceans,” he said. “Under the guise of ‘marine spatial planning’ entire watersheds could be shut down, even 2,000 miles up a river drainage from the ocean.

“Every angler needs to be aware because if it’s not happening in your backyard today or tomorrow, it will be eventually.

Granted, it’s worrisome that environmentalists seem to have captured the task force, but follow the link for details about how many jobs are at stake if angling gets scaled back dramatically to please the greens. Think The One’s going to hand Republicans that talking point in this political climate? How excited do you suppose red-district Democrats will be to see the White House bring down the hammer on fly fishermen with an election eight months away?

Sport Fishing magazine asked his campaign about new restrictions in September 2008 and got the following answer:

My administration would place the emphasis in fishery management where it belongs: in ensuring the long-term health and sustainability of stocks through the use of effective and appropriate conservation measures. Such an approach would not provide a preference for one management tool, such as a marine reserve, over another. Given sufficient management controls and data, a fishery can meet conservation objectives through a variety of catch controls and habitat-protection measures, including gear restrictions, bag limits or closures. In some cases, additional conservation measures may need to be taken to ensure a positive recreational marine-fishing experience for future generations of Americans. Recreational fishermen have not shirked from embracing such measures when needed to achieve long-term stock sustainability, as long as measures are matched to the problem. While marine reserves may be an effective means of achieving important goals, their use and design must be based on an assessment of impacts and balanced by a strong respect for the ability of recreational anglers to practice their sport. In my view, we need to be open to the use of a variety of innovative conservation tools and be prepared to use them if the science justifies their establishment, and if it has been determined that less-restrictive options will not achieve critical goals like rebuilding fish stocks. The decision to establish marine reserves should be made as a result of a transparent, science-based process and be the least intrusive possible to get the job done. Such a process should include outreach to the sport-fishing community to explain both the scientific basis for the action and the expected conservation benefits to future fishing generations if it is to gain the community’s active support.

That bit about “balance” is an official Barack Obama campaign promise, baby, which means you can take it to the bank. Seriously, though: Given the backlash British pols faced a few years ago when they banned fox hunting (the sport has since flourished and the Tories say they want to repeal it) and given the deep but as yet unfounded suspicions about The One’s designs on guns, why would he pick a completely needless fight with rural voters? Explain to me how this makes sense for him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I did a photoshop on this topic today. I call it “Fishing Jail, or- put the rod down and step away from the stream.”

BKeyser on March 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I take it this idea is pushed by the same douche bags who like to call fish “sea kittens.”

Sekhmet on March 9, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I’ll give you my gun rod and reel when you take it from my cold, dead hands

vcferlita on March 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Obowma really doesn’t like this country…

To even contemplate this, to even imagine this kind of government control goes against every principle of our Founding Fathers, the Constitution, and the Declaration of Independence.

… Obowma REALLY hates this country.

Seven Percent Solution on March 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Explain to me how this makes sense for him.

You’re missing the part where Obama is an galloping idiot. He’s managed to kamakazie more public good faith in him faster than any other president; why stop now?

ReformedAndDangerous on March 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Pass this today! Do it democrats!

daesleeper on March 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM

It’s only a matter of scheduling. Bold prediction – they’ll start (or more-properly, continue) with massive no-fishing zones, mostly off-shore and in the Great Lakes, which will be expanded to cover virtually every waterway in the country by 2016.

As for the political sense, countless commenters already beat me to the punch.

steveegg on March 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM

… Obowma REALLY hates this country.

Seven Percent Solution on March 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Agreed, Patriot. But…I think he’s not only hateful but basically lost in his hate. He aims at everything, even the smallest of contentions.

Note how he goes from one thing to another, with no solid plan. I can presume a profile, but I rather everyone else establish their own of this guy. I was married a long time, so I learned early the less I say, the better.

Liam on March 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM

have you seen anything from this administration that “makes sense” in the truest form of the phrase? We need to stop looking for the sense and see the absurdity for what it is.

ted c on March 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM

The day that speargun fishing is outlawed in GA is the day that speargun fishing………

*awwww, my ban hammer alert is going off….*

ted c on March 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I’m sure this will go well. Go ahead Obama. I’m not big into fishing (I find it boring) but I know that this would be really stupid.

lavell12 on March 9, 2010 at 7:31 PM

ted c on March 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM

For whatever this might be worth, Obow is full of fury. It’s directed, but unfocused. He takes aim at anything that suits his fancy at the moment, at his whim.

That’s why he struggles so hard for Health Control, and is now bringing up energy. With an added corollary of fishing?

I can profile, but I rather let liberals defend all this.

Liam on March 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM

red herring? Anyone, Anyone?

upinak on March 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Explain to me how this makes sense for him.

I think he may be nuts.

He’s squandered tons of opportunities that would have made people trust him. That trust would have allowed him to pass his insane laws with impunity.

Instead he’s been acting like a mental patient, has accomplished almost nothing unless you count wasting money as a goal, and virtually everyone distrusts him.

Listen: 30% of Americans are communists. His “highly approve” rating? 22%. That’s some serous misgivings.

Dorvillian on March 9, 2010 at 7:36 PM

my husband is passionate about bass fishing. oh he goes to florida & alabama to fish. when I told him about this & told him to write our *sshole jerk Congressman Perriello (D, 5th CD Va), he said that he isn’t allowed by Va Judicial Ethics to get involved in politics.

if he can’t fish, he will stroke out.

kelley in virginia on March 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Explain to me how this makes sense for him.

Look at how Obama has “managed” ObamaCare: he delegated it to Reid and Pelosi. He could have done the same thing here, and delegated this to some lower echelon numbskull equivalent of Reid or Pelosi, and promptly forgot all about it. The mission creep with a bunch of PETA types running unchecked through the regulatory process must be terrifying to behold.

The_Real_JeffS on March 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Prolly a bunch of homo scientist/enviromentalists wanting paybacks for having been denied the right to marry.
O Blah Blah = Attention whore!!!!

sonnyspats1 on March 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM

It doesn’t “make sense” it “makes ideological sense”

ted c on March 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM

this fishing ban made rounds last fall. the sports fishing people have been screaming ever since. why can’t they make headway? are they too normal?

kelley in virginia on March 9, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Is there NOTHING this guy won’t try getting his fingers into?

Liam on March 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Video Games???

FontanaConservative on March 9, 2010 at 7:41 PM

I’ve continued casting with a carbon rod during a violent thunderstorm just because the bass were hitting on top. What makes The Won think I’d be more inclined to pay attention to his law than lightening.

Oldnuke on March 9, 2010 at 7:44 PM

This smacks of controlling the food supply. I don’t fish, not sure I ever have, but I’m sure as heck entitled to fish on my own property. ENTITLED, yeah I said it, libturds! Entitled by God, that is.

citrus on March 9, 2010 at 7:48 PM

..and given the deep but as yet unfounded suspicions about The One’s designs on guns,..

ORLY???!!!

Commie is as Commie does.

Maquis on March 9, 2010 at 7:48 PM

This smacks of controlling the food supply.

citrus on March 9, 2010 at 7:48 PM

They’ve been at it for awhile.

Maquis on March 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM

For the almost 100 million of us who fish and hunt and kill animals for fun and food, bring it on, bro’.

I’ve never kept a fish I caught, nor killed an animal, that I didn’t or wouldn’t eat, except sharks, barrahcuda, snakes, coyotes, cougars, and other varmints or predators. And I haven’t shot any people except for armed illegals/criminals, in self defense.

Don’t mess with my values. Don’t turn me into a predator.

TXUS on March 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM

About damn time.

I look forward to fishing banned by the federal government the way we ban drugs and automatic weapons. No citizen will be able to justify their destruction of natural habitat by virtue of a hobby. No state will be authorized to issue a fishing license. Local governments will save millions that was wasted patrolling waterways for unlicensed, rapacious fisherfools.

I hope millions of Americans, freed of the mass hysteria that is fishing, will join me in alternate hobbies, such as underwater performance art with dragnets, measuring the speed of river currents with draglines strung with hooks, aquatic ribbon dancing, and experimenting with the conductivity of river water using a hand-cranked generator. Yes there is much to do once we stop the foolishness that is fishing.

Chris_Balsz on March 9, 2010 at 7:53 PM

What they are doing to the commercial fishermen is really bad. When the new regulations go into effect on May 1st, the majority of fishermen will be forced out of business by the end of the summer, including my brother. Obama put a enviro loon in charge of NOAA, her name is Jane Lubchenko. Straight from PEW, these people don’t really care about the fish as much as they hate fishermen and want to put them out of business. I’m glad to see at least a trickle of this scam making it to hotair. Somebody would be smart to get ahead of the curve on this scandal, it’s much juicier than climategate. Read more from Captain Black Bart who is on top of this scandal:

shanimal on March 9, 2010 at 7:55 PM

This is quite the quote considering it comes from a guy who doesn’t care about the long-term health and sustainability of our economy.

JohnTheBuilder on March 9, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Got the perfect name for the Federal agency responsible for enforcing the ban: Fishermen Apprehension Response Team/ FART.

Helloyawl on March 9, 2010 at 7:55 PM

First he schemes to grab 10 million acres from Western States and turn them into Federal “monuments”. Now he wants to set up bureaucracies to control the waterways so “humans” and fish can co-exist in perfect Utopian harmony. Gosh, do you think it could have anything to do with preventing us from drilling for oil?

Buy Danish on March 9, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Can we turn this into a fishing story thread? Remember first liar always loses.

Oldnuke on March 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Whatever family members of mine that had held off on getting involved. (tea parties, etc.) Are full on board now after forwarding this article. I think I heard something about hanging with a trout line or something like that.

conservnut on March 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I’m impressed.

Lubchenko’s rapidly working her way up into the Chu/Holdren/Browner/Jackson pantheon of crazy.

Right now this administration is working on the premise that the only Americans that matter are those residing in ACORN country. Anyone more than three miles from the centers of the largest urban areas in the country has been written off.

I look forward to seeing an electoral map that looks like two dozen blood-red circles bleeding rapidly off into a boundless azure horizon.

JEM on March 9, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I finally got the attention of my co-workers on this little gem of an article.

One by one zero is alienating the nation. Each new issue snaps another group of necks around with a resounding WTF??

Ris4victory on March 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Same here. All my young friends, co-workers, and nephews will finally be sitting up straight and paying attention. They live to fish and hunt. Only when it gets something they care about will this nonsense be stopped.

wi farmgirl on March 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Also, wouldn’t this be a blatant violation of the 10th amendment, so far as inland waters are concerned?

JohnTheBuilder on March 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Kudos to ESPN for profiling how elitist and out of touch the Obama misAdministration is.

Just like Obama is beholden to SEIU and ACORN for donating millions to his 08 campaign and helping him steal the election, he is also on the hook with well-funded radical Envirofascist groups that donated tens of millions to him. These groups are an alphabet-soup SuperSmorg including but not limited to – Environmental Defense, The Ocean Conservancy, Sierra Club, GreenPeace, Tides Foundation, Audubon Society, PETA, Save The Manatee Club, World Wildlife Fund, and so on.

These groups get the majority of their anti-fishing funding via the Pew Charitable Trusts’ Marine Group. The funding given by Pew to these EnviroFascists is tens and hundreds of millions a year. The Pew Trusts is funded to the tune of tens of billions because it owns huge chunks of Sun Oil Corp stock (SUNOCO), donated to it by the Pew Family of Radnor PA. The Pew Family are the largest holders of SUNOCO stock. The Pew Trusts is a far-left activist organization sticking its camels nose into every damn tent it can find – environmental issues, social issues, politics, public policy, the list goes on. It’s like George Soros on crack.

So the next time your car’s gas gauge is on E, resist the temptation to turn into a SUNOCO station.

Meanwhile, support the efforts of fishing rights groups like the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) to defend your right to fish. Ask your Congressman and your two Senators to vote for the Flexibility In Rebuilding American Fisheries Act.

Catch-All
100 Fathom Fishing Club
—————————————

CatchAll on March 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Is there NOTHING this guy won’t try getting his fingers into?

Liam on March 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Video Games???

FontanaConservative on March 9, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Too late. He placed ads in a video game during the prez campaign. I believe it was a racing game. And the left loves to regulate media – videogames included. How else will they subvert children away from their parents. Besides schools and whatever religious institutions they may have infiltrated that is.

chicagojedi on March 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Chris_Balsz on March 9, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Just wait. Pretty soon, we’ll be banned from swimming, or going near the water. Our taint is killing the eco-systems.

capejasmine on March 9, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Drunk on power.

PrincipledPilgrim on March 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM

JohnTheBuilder on March 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Inland waters that fish don’t swim up into to spawn. Salmon spend most of their year in the ocean, but swim upstream to spawn. That interconnects to the two bodies and would be their argument that “Federal Fish” make any water they swim to “Federal Water.”

And I wouldn’t be so quick to write this off, Allah. There’s a executive order and an enforcement component. He could sign the order, which won’t get covered by any of the state run media, then enforce it slow enough to hide it’s impact in the other jobs he’s killing. Yes, if they enforced it all at once, it would be a huge mistake, but he could start with my salmon example and just nail Oregon, Washington and Alaska. Then hit catfish ground in Louisiana.

It’s like the healthcare bill. They know if they can get a breeding ground for the public option done, they can get the public option later. He also knows if he can get these regs in, he can slowly destroy the industry so that nobody notices.

He figures the industry is like a frog in a cold pot of water on a stove. It will die before it realizes it’s being boiled. His hard core supporters don’t fish for anything but a quarter laying in the gutter off the sidewalk.

PastorJon on March 9, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Wonder if NASCAR, pickup trucks and pit bulls are on their radar as well?

Seriously, they could actually go through with this (ban, increased fishing license fees, tougher regulations, whatever) and most Americans won’t bat an eye, especially the urbanites and the Yuppies.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 9, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Clearly we all need to embrace whatever The Chairman likes to do. Since he knows what’s best for us then we should just embrace all of his likes as our own…..by doing this we’ll all be much happier!!

Dick Turpin on March 9, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Can we turn this into a fishing story thread? Remember first liar always loses.

Oldnuke on March 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM

HEY, I can back up my stories with PICS!

upinak on March 9, 2010 at 8:14 PM

elitist President Arugula coming to grab the bitter-clingers’ rods and reels!

Others have already beat me to this, but it can’t be said enough…FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS OBAMBI…FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Liberty or Death on March 9, 2010 at 8:19 PM

HEY, I can back up my stories with PICS!

upinak on March 9, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Me too!

Oldnuke on March 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

HEY, I can back up my stories with PICS!

upinak on March 9, 2010 at 8:14 PM

That’s how you can tell the real fisherman from the weekend fisherman, they always have the fish documenter (camara) at the ready!

Being from Alaska upinak I’m sure you have documented some lunkers! Fishing Alaska is on my bucket list for sure!

Liberty or Death on March 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Me too!

Oldnuke on March 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Heh…good one!

Liberty or Death on March 9, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I’m glad my parents are not alive to see this.

They loved fishing – from deep sea to fly fishing.

But I guess this really isn’t the first thing this madman has done that I am glad my parents didn’t have to see.

tru2tx on March 9, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I wonder how much influence PETA has had on this fishing ban agenda? After all according to PETA fishing is animal cruelty because fish feel pain…personally I love all fish cause’ they taste so good grilled with lemon, pepper, butter and garlic!

Liberty or Death on March 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I spent close to thirty years on the shores of this lake. The lake was created to cool the nuke plant I retired from. I fished the discharge canal of the plant a lot. It’s like river fishing. Large mouth, striped bass, walleye, channel cats, chain pickerel, sun fish and lots of really big carp. The public couldn’t fish in the canal so pressure was light there.

Oldnuke on March 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM

You think the most brilliant president ever could tell the difference between a smallmouth and a largemouth?

Are you referring to Oprah and Michelle?

Aviator on March 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM

steveegg on March 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM

It’ll never happen in the Great Lakes, 4 of 5 are international bodies of water, subject to treaties, and speaking of treaties, Native tribes are allowed to fish under treaty and Obama can’t violate those treaties. Besides, Michigan voters would never tolerate it. In one of the few cases where Gov. Granholm and Michigan Dems bucked Obama, Michigan has fought to close the navigational canals near Chicago, to prevent the spread of exotic Asian carp into the Great Lakes. Michigan has 750,000 dear hunters and probably at least that many fisherman. There are more boats registered in Michigan than in any other state. Fishing charter companies are all around the big lakes.

rokemronnie on March 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Me too!

Oldnuke on March 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Wait… how did you get my picture???

upinak on March 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Liberty or Death on March 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM

No I really do have some good fishing pics. A few friends and I were making fun on my little tiger striped snapper.

if you want a real pic… email me! helpingpalin at gmail

upinak on March 9, 2010 at 8:38 PM

bama’s a grease turd!!!

jgdp on March 9, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Hey, there are a lot of fishermen/women from blue states.

Especially them lobstah fisher people in bleu states like Maine, New Hampsha, Mass, Rhode Island, and CT

Lots of people fish in the state O’bama claims to have been born in too. Kaua’i has excellent up-country stream trout action in Koke’e, above the Pacific Grand Canyon. And the big game fishing off the Large Island is legendary.

Del Dolemonte on March 9, 2010 at 8:48 PM

upinak on March 9, 2010

Oh I believe you, the fishing in AK (so I’ve heard and seen pictures of) is incredible. I’m just jealous that I haven’t had my turn at some AK angling!

Liberty or Death on March 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM

You really think these fools have a handle on what every last leftard liberal green fricking loon they empowered is up to? They can’t even manage their own un-American activities, much less what all their czars and appointed bureaucrats are doing.

But go ahead, Obowma- make my day, sign that executive order. Piss off a couple dozen million formerly apolitical outdoorsmen/women and put em on a mission.

2ipa on March 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Liberty or Death on March 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM

enjoy the pics :D

upinak on March 9, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Oho, the Professor’s got a lot of ‘splainin’ to do. He is apparently unable to listen.

Reeeeally makes we wonder what kind of student he was at Haavid.

disa on March 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I guess I’m one of those clinging to my pole and religion.

/awkward.

cntrlfrk on March 9, 2010 at 9:35 PM

The point of such a broad no-fishing ban has nothing to do with precious little sea and river kittens and everything to do with imposing a mountain of picayune and onerous laws on the citizenry and making just about everyone a lawbreaker, guilty of something.

troyriser_gopftw on March 9, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Since when does the Obamessiah give a damn what people think of his policies? After all, he knows best.

I don’t think this thing has a prayer of becoming law (a helluva lot of Democrats fish, too, y’know) but I don’t put anything past Bozo the President. It wouldn’t shock me if he tried something like that.

And AP, I love ya, but did you really cite an Obama campaign spiel as contradictory evidence? Even with the added snark, why bother?

radar g on March 9, 2010 at 9:49 PM

My dad is a blue dog Dem. He also lives on a lake and lives to hunt and fish. I’m sure he’ll be just thrilled to hear this one!

Vera on March 9, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Part of the “fundamental changes in America” he promised. Fish over people, and for the record it is not only rural people who fish for recreation.
Many member of Congress and Wall Street types fish as well.

This is what happens when an inner city college professor type is voted as the leader of the free world.

FireBlogger on March 9, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Unfortunately some of us here are missing the point. When some say this law will never pass, they are mistaken. You see, there’s nothing for Congress to pass. What this Obama Oceans Policy Task Force is doing is providing Obama the window dressing he needs to justify using his presidential executive order powers to inflict this turd sandwich on America’s recreational fishermen.

The Envirofascist lobby donated tens of millions of dollars to Obamas 08 campaign. Now its payback time. Thats why Obama is allowing the Envirofascist lobby to set the Task Force’s anti-fishing agenda while at the same time he freezes out any meaningful input by recreational fishermen.

If you want to see a smaller-scale version of this Orwellian nightmare occurring right now, all you have to do is look at the National Marine Fisheries Service’s South Atlantic Fisheries Management Council’s pending Amendment 17B ban on deepwater bottomfishing in waters deeper than 240 feet. It’s practically a done deal. Yet many so-called “experts” insisted to me that it would never happen, too many jobs would be lost, and so on. They pointed to the thousands of angry recreational anglers attending the public hearings as proof that SAFMC wouldn’t be that crazy to pass such an unscientific, unneeded regulation. I’d been warning them for years that SAFMC was looking for an excuse to ban deepwater bottomfishing. Sadly, I was right. http://www.safmc.net

Now it looks like yet another “can’t happen here” scenario is about to unfold.

Soylent Green(tm) Tofu and bean sprouts, anyone?

Catch-All
100Fathom Fishing Club

CatchAll on March 9, 2010 at 11:30 PM

It doesn’t make sense and he won’t do it, mainly because he absolutely no interest in it. But the whole cutting off public input thing was really stupid.

WarEagle01 on March 9, 2010 at 11:34 PM

WarEagle – yes Obama has no personal interest in banning fishing. But the problem is that his Envirofascist masters do have an interest in banning fishing. He is their meatpuppet so he has to dance to their tune or else risk losing their tens of millions in campaign donations in 2012.

The Envirofascists are living proof that you can have your head so far up your a$$ that you need to open your mouth to see where you’re going.

CatchAll on March 10, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Hmmmmm.

“Explain to me how this makes sense for him.”

Explain to me why this administration is so set on passing a healthcare plan that the vast majority of Americans despise and or hate instead of actually fixing the economy.

They’re totaly f-ing irrational that’s why.

memomachine on March 10, 2010 at 12:16 AM

This is an Onion story.

AshleyTKing on March 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

They can have my 8’6″ 3wt fly rod when they pry it from my cold dead hands!

jwp1964 on March 10, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Because The Precedent is just trying to sow chaos in our nation, as has been explained to you a thousand times before. Why do you have such problems admitting what is obvious?

neurosculptor on March 10, 2010 at 4:28 AM

Only white, redneck, gun clinging, god fearing, bible hugging, rednecks fish. Ban that sh!t. – Obama logic

Alden Pyle on March 10, 2010 at 7:16 AM

rokemronnie on March 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Want to bet that they won’t affect the Great Lakes? The fishing regulations one must follow on the “binational” (not international) waters are not subject to treaty, but are subject to the the side of the border one is on (i.e. on one side, one abides by Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan/Ohio/Pennsylvania/New York regulations, and on the other, one abides by Ontario regulations).

I’m familiar with the carp; we in Wisconsin have joined the Michigan efforts to shut down the Chicago canal sewer.

steveegg on March 10, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Will Bryant Gumbel pipe up with another gem, like, “Who cares? African Americans don’t fish.”

olesparkie on March 10, 2010 at 7:55 AM

ManBearFish!

Dork B. on March 10, 2010 at 8:22 AM

This is an Onion story.

AshleyTKing on March 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Wrong.

I reckon you didnt bother to follow all the links from ESPN, DrudgeReport and or even read the article at the beginning here, did you?

This obamination in the guise of an executive order is in the works. The anti-fishing Envirofascist lobbyists are handing the wording to Obama’s staff of lickspittles as we speak so they can slavishly copy it word for word.

CatchAll on March 10, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Don’t mess with my values. Don’t turn me into a predator.

TXUS on March 9, 2010

Ob+ama sees you as a sheep. Sheep cannot become predators.
They simply stand in the pasture, munching greens and waiting to be shorn or slaughtered. They may bleat and cry out in protest, but that signifies nothing.
That you do not see yourself as a sheep is important, but what matters is how and when you reveal the predator within you. With so many provocations by our imperious boy-king, it is difficult to be patient. Work within the system to turn this train around. At some point we will all know if we succeed or fail in this non-violent uprising against totalitarianism.
Pray for success, but arm youself just in case.

SKYFOX on March 10, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Answer: Megalomania + tone deafness. Besides, everyone knows fishermen are all racist.

If there was an outright ban the American Revolution II would begin on the spot. Don’t expect it; this has Cass “regulation czar” Sunstein written all over it.

They are just going to slap so many confusing regulations, fines, and fees on it that people just won’t bother.

bitsy on March 10, 2010 at 9:36 AM

This is what we get when falling for the left view that we (humans) and destroying the balance of nature. They will ban our ability to survive in favor of the flora, fauna, and animal life.

The results, we will become the only endangered species on the list, and how to you control endangered species? If you are smart you will do nothing and let nature balance itself. Otherwise, you simplify the problem via genocide.

Following the path of genocide will leave the human race to resort to proving Darwin was right we evolved. I do not see way around the inevitable, except to stop the left’s ideology from evolving any further.

MSGTAS on March 10, 2010 at 9:37 AM

How does Zero propose to stop foreign trawlers from fishing just outside our boundaries? This proposal will accomplish 2 things, control some of our food supply and allow for more importation of fish. He’s using the greenies to gain more control over all of us.

Kissmygrits on March 10, 2010 at 9:43 AM

AP – The One D-O-E-S N-O-T care about picking fights w/ rurals, or anyone else for that matter. He wants what he wants and everyone else be damned.

Tom66 on March 10, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Obama knows states make revenue off of fishing licenses… right? He also understands community’s – like the liberal bastion of Mass, Maine, Oregon, Washington and California – heavily rely on fishing?

My home town of Destin is being shaken down by the enviro nuts; concerning fishing seasons, catch allotments and species caught. Roughly $100M for the area each year… based on computer models and not actual fish caught or actual migration patterns.

Ironic that Alaska was able to find a happy medium between crabbing/fishing and the enviro nuts, while still maintaining their businesses… I wonder why.

(Hint: they used atual fish data, migration patterns, trends, seasonal adjustments, etc while scientists actually went on boats, instead of digital guessing.)

Odie1941 on March 10, 2010 at 10:31 AM

because I’m a new yorker and inherently brilliant and enlightened

Grouper and snapper fishing was shut down at the beginning of this month. The head of noaa testified to congress that they had no scientific basis for doing this. But what would some grenwich village bachelor who lives with cats care about the livelihood of a good portion of the great unwashed.

peacenprosperity on March 10, 2010 at 11:08 AM

These dip $hits need to be gone. I would love to see them go to Louisiana and try and shut down fishing by all those Cajuns. There would be bodies floating in the bayou. Any damn fool wanting to shut down fishing needs to be run out of Washington at the end of a filet knife.

It has been said that if you want to get rid of something, tell a Cajun that the season is closed, the limit is 2, and they make good gumbo.

saiga on March 10, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Oh yeah,allah, and I guess you laugh at us nuts and shake your head while saying,”Oh pish, you silly people, that could never happen here.”

peacenprosperity on March 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Hunting will be next so ya’ll better find good hiding places for your weapons because a gun grab will come first.

peacenprosperity on March 10, 2010 at 11:13 AM

He’s willing to scrap Senate rules, all vestiges of Constitutionality and separation of powers and fly in the face of overwhelming public opinion to pass ObamaCare.

Why wouldn’t he do this, too?

He, and everyone like him, want us all to be wards of the State, begging for scraps from the masters’ table.

spmat on March 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Explain to me how this makes sense for him.

AP, do you not realize that you’ve been writing that exit question on almost every story involving the Obama administration? And they keep doing what doesn’t make sense?

This kind of development would never have come to light at all, indeed would have been nipped long ago, in a Clinton administration. They would have realized back in October or November of ’09 that they were over-reaching and told the environmental lobby to back off, slow down, step down. The Clintons were rational political actors.

Obama is not a rational political actor. He’s a hyper-partisan of the DKos wacko sort, just with better packaging. He wants onerous federal regulation of fishing, hunting and other means of self-sufficiency. He doesn’t like the idea of self-sufficiency. We are a nation of children to him. Children to be fed, led and bled.

spmat on March 10, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Um, my father is rolling over in his grave.

His dying words to me were, “No more government.”

As a child, I remember hiking six miles up the mountain, from where we had to park the jeep. A lake in Wyoming called “Parson’s”. You could see the opposite shore a mile away, and felt guilty throwing a line in, because you could watch the ripples, follow them all the way across the lake.

The stripes on these trout, were real. Not the clones you get from a hatchery, just plain silver, but a true rainbow, cleaned and thrown on the fire, right out of the water.

Breakfast, not to be believed…

For me, fishing with my father and grandfather, was a right of passage. Not a privilege…
(We had others, but they involved a .308 and a deer…)

But what the hell? You can’t live off the land now?

“You can’t hunt here, those are the King’s deer!”

What’s next? We worship his hat?

docjohn52 on March 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM

What’s next? We worship his hat?

docjohn52 on March 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Nope. He’ll force LOST on us.

State control is only the first step in global control.

Maquis on March 10, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Obama doesn’t want to ban sport fishing, he wants to manage it.

The enviro’s and the EPA have already shut down farming in favor of the Delta Smelt, so what do you thing will come out of this? Only certain, favored groups will be allowed to fish for sport, and only under certain restrictions. It pays to be a well connected, loyal democrat with a fat bank account.

Skandia Recluse on March 9, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Interpretations of the Clean Water Act have led to regulation of drainage ditches, ponds, wetland etc in extreme ways that have nothing to do with pollution.
Fishing in some places has been heavily regulated by pseudoscience, having nothing to do with trying to save an ‘endangered’ species.
The list of abuses is long.
BO wants the Fed Govt to manage everything.
His agenda is make you so dependent on the govt that you cannot fart or scratch an itch without the govt being involved somehow.
It will be like it was in merry old England someday, when a man who needed to feed himself could not hunt on the ‘king’s’ land.
We actually supplement our family’s food supply w/ fishing & hunting.
It is a sport, but we also do it to feed ourselves.
This is nothing but a continuance of what the govt has been doing for years with its agencies like Fish & Wildlife, the EPA, Clean Air & Water Acts, etc.
So much of the govt’s policies are based upon scientific LIES & DISTORTIONS that some places that should be protected do not get the attention they need bcs of the red tape.
It is insanity.

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 1:47 PM

But what the hell? You can’t live off the land now?

“You can’t hunt here, those are the King’s deer!”

docjohn52 on March 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM

You beat me to it!
I can still live off of our land. But they are already on their way to over-regulating all watersheds.
We have the Cannonball river running through our propert, as well as a major ccreek that empties into that.
We fish them both.
There have already, for at least 10 yrs, been soil conservation meetings, etc promoted by the state & fed govts to limit feeding your cows anywhere near ANY water that contributes to a watershed (which is ALL water EVERYWHERE), as well as trying to ban livestock from using rivers & streams for drinking water by fencing them off.
A winding river or stream is nigh impossible to fence off.
We have been battling this insanity forever in the agriculture industry.
Ranchers have been especially embattled.

Badger40 on March 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM