On my desk: Courage and Consequence

posted at 2:00 pm on March 7, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Or almost on my desk, anyway. Karl Rove’s long-awaited memoir of his White House career, Courage and Consequence hits the bookshelves on Tuesday. Rove has quite a rollout planned for it. He’ll have a Ustream launch at noon ET, which I’ll embed earlier in the morning. After that, Rove will join me on The Ed Morrissey Show to discuss the book, following Andrew Malcolm’s appearance, which begins at 3 pm ET.

It’s already generating some of the histrionics and nastiness we saw from the media during the Bush administration. Dana Milbank today lets his wit run, or rather crawl:

As a White House reporter during the Bush presidency, I often worried that I wasn’t getting the whole story. Now, Karl Rove has finally given it to me.

His new book, “Courage and Consequence,” promises to “pull back the curtain on my journey to the White House and my years there.” What he divulges nearly made me choke on a pretzel.

That business about President George W. Bush misleading the nation about Iraq? Didn’t happen. “Did Bush lie us into war? Absolutely not,” Rove writes.

Condoning torture? Wrong! “The president never authorized torture. He did just the opposite.”

Foot-dragging on global warming? Au contraire. “He was aggressive and smart on this front.”

I’ve written dozens if not hundreds of blog posts refuting these claims, but we’ll save that for Rove on Tuesday. (Getting bad intel is not the same as lying, Democrats made the same WMD claims from 1998 forward, waterboarding as performed by the CIA is arguably not torture and Congress didn’t object to it as such at the time, and Bush reduced carbon emissions in the US more than Europe did.) Meanwhile, Hot Air readers can get a jump on sales by placing orders now!

Comments

love the rovester, can’t wait to read it

cmsinaz on March 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM

On my show Tuesday!

Don’t wanna miss that!

Anyone else have probs tho with the latest java chat thingy for Ed’s show? I try to log on at least twice a week, but once I get into the chat, it shuts down my browser…every time. Help?

JetBoy on March 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM

love the rovester, can’t wait to read it

cmsinaz on March 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I’m with you. I like how it will drive the elite media crazy for the next couple of weeks.

sherry on March 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Why buy this book?

I lost my midsection, my hair grew back, my eyesight improved and you can see Rove’s face in the glass of a loft window at my place in Colorado when the sun comes up.

IlikedAUH2O on March 7, 2010 at 2:16 PM

It is impossible to be both aggressive and smart on “Global Warming” as it is a fraud.

MB4 on March 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM

YAWN…

matthewbit07 on March 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I look forward to reading it too, but it’ll have to wait ’til next month, alas!

Bob's Kid on March 7, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Bush reduced carbon emissions in the US more than Europe did

So Fool Bush bowed to the High Priest of the Church of Global Warming, Al Gore, more than the Fool Euros did? I don’t view that as any kind of a plus.

MB4 on March 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Congratulations on the interview “get”, Ed.

I’ll be listening.

aquaviva on March 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Anything that makes moonbats squeal, is worth spending the money on. I like Rove a lot besides.

Southernblogger on March 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM

sherry on March 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM

indeed :)

cmsinaz on March 7, 2010 at 2:38 PM

…Wait. Dana Milbank\’s a dude?Hmmmph. I always pictured Milbank as MoDo\’s slightly more hideous twin sister.

Rhinoboy on March 7, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I’ll be reading Rove soon :o)

IowaWoman on March 7, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Can’t wait, can’t wait, can’t wait!!!!

LASue on March 7, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Wow Ed, you scored a Rove interview? Congrats (I realize that this post might sound sarcastic, but it isn’t; I’m impressed and happy for Ed at landing an interview with such a major figure.)

onetoomany on March 7, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Rove…!!! You magnificent bastard!

… I read your book!!!

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on March 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Bush reduced carbon emissions in the US more than Europe did

which only matters if you buy into the premise.

Nice score on the interview, Ed!

John the Libertarian on March 7, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Dems like to say that Bush lied about the WMDs because they think it lets them off the hook for voting to go to war. Bottom line is regardless of whether or not we found/find WMDs, our troops were able to free Iraq from the rule of a vicious tyrant who was hung for him crimes, and now we have an ally in the Middle East. I’d say that was a huge accomplishment, one the left doesn’t want to acknowledge. Good for Rove for setting the record straight, but many will still won’t listen, including Mr. President. I miss the grownups in the Bush administration.

scalleywag on March 7, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Nice score on the interview, Ed!

John the Libertarian on March 7, 2010 at 2:51 PM

It’s part of the Townhall/Squish connection.

thomasaur on March 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I enjoy how Rove pushes so many buttons on the left and I think he was extremely effective as a political maestro, but the Bush-Rove domestic agenda damaged the GOP, the perception of conservatism and the economy. Personally, I wish Cheney had been Bush’s “brain” instead of Rove.

Terrie on March 7, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I am waiting for it to be available on the Kindle. I tried looking for it on Amazon to preorder it but I could not find it.

HawaiiLwyr on March 7, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Having read enough of Democratic Underground, and listened to movie and TV celebrities talk about George Bush, to get the “real story,” I’ll be interested to hear how Rove coped with President Bush being high on cocaine and booze all the time, or how the President found time to listen to every phone call between Janeane Garafolo and her grandmother, or go over the master list of all Sean Penn’s book purchases? He must not have had a spare moment. /s

RBMN on March 7, 2010 at 3:24 PM

OT: Sebelius and Hoyer admit they might not make Easter deadline with Obamacare.

Wethal on March 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM

(stifles yawn)

Isn’t this one of those “evergreen” headlines? You know, dust ‘em off, insert another holiday, and trot it out to Drudge. Like, “Sebelius and Hoyer admit they might not make Easter Mayday Fourth of July Labor Day Hallowe’en Thanksgiving deadline with Obamacare.”

VoyskaPVO on March 7, 2010 at 3:28 PM

As a White House reporter during the Bush presidency,

Sorry, Dana, you lost me right there.

Del Dolemonte on March 7, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Rove…!!! You magnificent bastard!

OK ! I really have to ask ! What in the hell is it with that catch phrase? I see it on every thread involving KR! Can someone please explain this inside joke to me , I am sorry I just do not get it !

cableguy615 on March 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Ed, Be sure to ask Rove whose brilliance it was that decided to repeatedly ram the decidedly unpalatable amnesty down their voting base’s throat.

While Conservatives and many Republicans were unhappy about many things Bush did, Bush’s repeated hard pushes for the Mexican government’s illegal aliens and his refusal to listen to those who brought him to the Presidency, was the issue that most destroyed Bush’s approval on the right.

RJL on March 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Ed, ED………

You’re trying to use FACTS with these people.

……You gotta stop doing that.

(Oh, and I love the righteous indignation they still have about Bush’s supposed abuses of terrorist prisoners when, um……Obama’s kept all the Bush policies in place. And even gone out of his way to try to hand over bad guys to Pakistan. Isn’t that *gasp*…..RENDITION?)

Hawkins1701 on March 7, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Sorry……not popular to say……Karl Rove?

Epic Fail !!!!

We must never let anyone sponsored/endorsed or groomed by the RINO Bush Family near the levers of power again!!!

PappyD61 on March 7, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I hope Karl does some book signings in and around NYC. Even if you don’t like some of Bush’s spending policies I think overall he was a good Pres, and Karl has a lot to do with getting him there and helping him along.

Rbastid on March 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Rove…!!! You magnificent bastard!

cableguy615 on March 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Ted Torgerson on March 7, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I’m especially looking forward to the reviews of this book by William Rivers Pitt and Jason Leopold.

Those should be along in oh, about “24 business hours”.

Del Dolemonte on March 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM

stifles yawn)

VoyskaPVO on March 7, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Supposedly it was Obama’s now-or-never “Waterloo” deadline. For real. but no doubt he’ll be pushing it right up to 1/3/11, when the GOP takes over the House.

Wethal on March 7, 2010 at 4:57 PM

President Palin should hire Rove as a cabinet member just to drive the libtards to apoplectic levels of anger and frustration.

Mojave Mark on March 7, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I’m looking forward to the interview, Ed! You’ll have to be sure you hire extra troll gunners for the event!

Desert Gardens on March 7, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Ted Torgerson on March 7, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Thank you ! What movie/ show was that ??

cableguy615 on March 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Mojave Mark on March 7, 2010 at 5:10 PM

The mere mention of these two words when used together drive them wacko already ! ( Not that most of them aren’t already)

cableguy615 on March 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I guess us TEMS Chat Mods will have to work extra hard on Tuesday. :-D

CrankyTRex on March 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Sorry, not a global warming-massive entitlement-amnesty Rove fan.

Valiant on March 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM

MB4 on March 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM

To be fair, you had no idea it was happening, and it had nothing to do with cap and trade or carbon taxes.

To be honest, that’s all news to me.

Either way, Bush and Rove are still Big Gov’t Republicans which is the entire problem with the GOP right now.

uknowmorethanme on March 7, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Ted Torgerson on March 7, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Thank you ! What movie/ show was that ??

cableguy615 on March 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM

“Patton”

Seven Percent Solution on March 7, 2010 at 6:12 PM

uknowmorethanme on March 7, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Of course you are right. But many of us heard so much savaging of W that any restoration of his legacy would be welcome.

I will not mention the usual apoplexy which the subject of the Bush years causes among Libs.

Heck, I had blue nosed WASPS speak his name like a curse, Quakers wish he would be shipped to Gitmo, nerdy Marxists complain about his spending, Jews think he was too hawkish in the mideast….and one woman who blamed him for the ninth ward mess who didn’t know WHICH STATE New Orleans wa in!

And I heard suffering wished on him and his family that I wouldn’t wish on The One for any reason.

I would go on a tangent about meeting a guy who did Federal Reconstruction Aid in N. O. but my posts are too long and too frequent.

IlikedAUH2O on March 7, 2010 at 6:27 PM

What happens when you let liberals create your narrative.

Speakup on March 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Karl Rove is the architect of the GWB big-government, big-spending blue-hair Republican immoral degeneracy. The only thing Rove, Bush and their minions did right was the War in Iraq.

When you get him in the interview, I hope you crucify him.

pabarge on March 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Rove’s Bush, it would not be unfair to say, took the role of Karl Marx to pave the way for Obama to play the role of Vladimir Lenin.

MB4 on March 7, 2010 at 8:46 PM

And don’t forget the Bush/McCain/Graham/Kennedy [now sober for 2 months] axis of weasels on CIR.

Yah, Bush is a lot better than Obama, but then living in Iran would be a lot better than living in North Korea, but that ain’t saying a whole lot.

MB4 on March 7, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Rove should keep a low profile and just let sleeping dogs lay. Just when I am about ready to start waxing nostalgic about Bush [Obama has that effect on me], someone comes around and reminds me of all I didn’t like about him.

MB4 on March 7, 2010 at 8:58 PM

If Bush “lied” about WMDs, does that mean that Obama is lying about AGW?

29Victor on March 7, 2010 at 11:08 PM

He won elections while doing major damage to conservatism. But all that matters is victory at the ballot box, though, and ticking off liberals. Go red team!

The Dean on March 8, 2010 at 1:55 AM