The obligatory “Maher wishes Beck dead” post

posted at 9:13 am on March 6, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Look, I don’t like Bill Maher any more than most Hot Air readers, although I used to watch him back in the Politically Incorrect days, when he used to actually be funny. I don’t see what’s unusual about this, other than being somewhat less tasteless than Maher usually gets. Despite the mail and tweets I’m getting, Maher isn’t wishing Glenn Beck dead, but making a bad joke. There’s a difference between this and, say, the Michael Moore anger over the 9/11 plotters targeting the tolerant blue cities of New York and DC instead of the xenophobes in the Midwest, or Ward Churchill’s argument that the 9/11 victims got what they deserved — a big difference. I don’t think Glenn Beck is going to lose any sleep over this (from Mediaite TV):

Tacky, yes. But outrageous? Yawn. I’ll save my outrage for government abuse of power and politicians selling influence.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

But that second 5-4 ruling isn’t why Gore lost. And you know that too.

Yes, the 5-4 vote is why the recount was halted. So in effect, it’s why he lost. Did you really read an entire book on the subject and miss that? Good lord.

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I’ve watched Maher a few times and really, when he talks about the federal government, he has no earthly idea what it is he’s talking about. Being in an around the military for 20+ years, I know far, far more than he does.

Anyone who thinks Maher understands the inner workings of our government is a complete idiot, including Maher.

What Maher is, is perhaps the best versed celebrity with a talk show, which means he’s about out of middle school in what he knows and comprehends.

NoDonkey on March 6, 2010 at 1:48 PM

But that second 5-4 ruling isn’t why Gore lost. And you know that too.

Yes, the 5-4 vote is why the recount re-vote was halted. So in effect, it’s why he lost. Did you really read an entire book on the subject and miss that? Good lord.

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM

But then you knew that. However, the lefty talking point meme that “Bush stole the election” must go on.

AZfederalist on March 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM

AZfederalist on March 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Man, you guys really are still caught up in it. Get over it. Bush was a miserable failure, and Obama was elected as a result…by such a wide margin that he didn’t even need a recount ; )

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Del Delmonte is feverishly re-reading his book…

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM

…although I used to watch him back in the Politically Incorrect days, when he used to actually be funny.

I admit I watched that show, too. However, even I am occasionally funny so Maher is not why I watched. I watched in spite of him. I love debate, especially on current topics and this show delivered. I was always amused how it was usually 4 against 1; Maher, bleeding heart, plus 3 other bleeding heart guests versus one conservative/republican/traditionalist.

In the same way I also enjoy the last 20 minutes of “This Week” again, in spite of George Stephanopoulos. I watch many of the FOX News shows because of the debates and I appreciate how they make the effort to get both sides on their panels.

yubley on March 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Not funny.

Pathetic.

Boring.

Isn’t Glenn Beck kicking Bill Maher’s ass all over the place on virtually every level, including in Glenn Beck’s superior sense of humor – he is actually funny and actually does make people laugh, plus Glenn Beck is among the most popular, most watched people on the planet, plus Glenn Beck has several books out which are selling like hot cakes, plus Glenn Beck’s presentations are actually factual and supported by evidence.

Bill Maher?

More hot air blown out his pie hole, arrogance, negativity, personal attacks and insults hurled mostly at Conservatives, Christians, Prolife choicers/abortion opponents, Intelligent Design, the USA, George W. Bush, etc.

Why couldn’t it have been Glenn Beck?

Because, so far, Glenn Beck isn’t a deranged, psychotic, nut job cretin, and also, Glenn Beck isn’t Bill Maher.

Question: In the case of the Pentagon shooter, Why, why, oh why couldn’t it have been Bill Maher?

William2006 on March 6, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Poor taste, but that’s all.

Why does Ed bother writing at all?

Dorvillian on March 6, 2010 at 2:08 PM

We also refused to buy a fridge made by GE.

Doughboy on March 6, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I won’t buy anything that has GE on it.

Mirimichi on March 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM

So, what’s new? Lefty gasbag = stupid, tasteless jerk who knows nothing and hates everything and everybody. Nothing new there.

jdawg on March 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Washed-up ex-comedian wishes Glenn Beck dead.

crr6 chirps in desperate to change the subject.

Why?

Techie on March 6, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I don’t know how Ed could have watched Bill Maher to pick up this clip. His gag reflex is stronger than mine.

Mirimichi on March 6, 2010 at 2:29 PM

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I wish morons like you would stop whining about Al Gore not being able to cheat his way to the Presidency. If he had succeeded, your precious Black Jesus would still be peddling his lies in Chicago.

Speedwagon82 on March 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Maher is a misogynist. He’s elitist. He never misses a chance to prattle on about the virtues of marijuana use. Or to slam the Catholic Church. In general, he’s a bitter man completely lacking in morals. Nothing he says surprises me.

The escalating popularity of Fox News makes him crazy, so targeting Beck is a natural for him. Maher is desperate for attention. He’s also green with envy.

Meredith on March 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Won’t be long before he actually does try to harm some people.

daesleeper on March 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Bill Maher = tool bag.

MCGIRV on March 6, 2010 at 2:47 PM

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM

No, student, I was not frantically re-reading the book-had to run some errands. It’s Saturday, y’know? Unlike you college kids, us people in the real world actually earn livings during the week, and have to do other stuff on the weekends.

I’m guessing you’ve not read “The Perfect Tie”, and read Dersho’s book instead. I feel your pain. As I said, I read both of them, and also the Helster Skelter guy’s book as well as Bill Sammon’s book. The only one of the 4 that was remotely objective was “The Perfect Tie”. Give it a read. And I can tell you that Bush does come in for frequent criticism, as does Gore. Since the book is long on actual facts and short on opinions, it’s been widely ignored by the losing side, because they are, as all Leftists are, afraid of the Truth.

The only people claiming the second decision “decided” the election are Democrats like yourself, which is proven by the fact that you and your fellow travelers only mention that decision and never cote any of the others in your “arguments”. In your universe, those other decisions simply don’t exist. That’s sad, but not surprising.

The 7-2 decision was on the other hand the decision that he lost, because it confirmed that the Florida deadline should stand. That deadline was the same day SCOTUS made its rulings. In other words, the 7-2 decision ended the election recount.

Face it, kid, no matter how you and the media spin it, the Democrats tried to steal the 2000 Florida Presidential election. The all-Democrat Florida Supreme Court’s “rulings” prove it, as do the SCOTUS 9-0 and 7-2 rulings against the Florida Court. The Democrats on the Florida Supreme Court attempted to re-write Florida election law after the election, and also advocated using different recounting standards in different counties. As the authors of “The Perfect Tie” conclude (and convincingly prove), that was the most dangerous behavior of the entire fiasco-the all-Democrat Florida Supreme Court advocated recounting every vote, but using different standards in different parts of the State to do so.

As for whether of not Bush was a “good” President, your attempt to change the subject is duly noted. I did have to laugh at your statement that O’bama “beat” Bush in the 2008 election, but you seem to forget that Bush was not eligible to run for a third term and did not run against O’bama, except in your fevered dreams.

It is funny to note, however, that O’bama has continued many of Bush’s policies, especially in the War on Terror. He is now even trying to take credit for what Bush achieved in Iraq. Mission Accomplished.

Del Dolemonte on March 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Del Delmonte is feverishly re-reading his book…

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Which beats the hell out of Wilipedia. I recall that in a different thread a few days ago someone proved that’s where you were getting your info. Then you descended into some sort of childish parrot routine and disappeared. Not forever I see…Oh well…hope springs eternal.

sdd on March 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Speedwagon82 on March 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM

That’s pretty funny, and probably true.

What’s even funnier is that the Democrats could have elected Gore President in 2000 by a much easier route. Had they had the stones to do what the 1974 Republicans had done and convinced their incumbent President to resign instead of being impeached, incumbent President President Algore would have easily been elected in his own right in 2000.

Del Dolemonte on March 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Which is why, in hindsight, I’m glad the Senate didn’t have the balls or the morality to remove him.

And unlike the puke cur6, I miss W.

And I’m sure the number who do grows daily.

Lanceman on March 6, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I give Bill Maher credit for knowing just what red meat to throw to the internets in order to get endless free publicity.

You guys think you are taking him down. You are working for him.

Moesart on March 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Bill who?

Ampersand on March 6, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Intellectually dishonest. Not classy.

So sayeth the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, if there were one around, and if it felt obligated to make an entry about the formerly funny guy.

itzWicks on March 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM

And unlike the puke cur6, I miss W.

And I’m sure the number who do grows daily.

Lanceman on March 6, 2010 at 3:37 PM

crr6 is just POed because she knows that no Democrat President will ever match Bush’s record job approval in the wake of 9/11.

I’ve always wondered whether or not Gore would have been re-elected in 2004 had he “won” in 2000. That would likely have been decided by how he reacted to the 9/11 attacks.

Speaking of which, another thing I think that sent Maher off the tracks was submerged guilt-he had invited a regular guest of his to be on Politically Incorrect on the night of 9/11, but of course she never got there.

Del Dolemonte on March 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Al Gore will wind up behind bars if their is any justice remaining in this country. I saw a billboard put up by citizens in Missouri, that reads “Now it’s personal… We’re coming for you, Congress! Vote Liberals out in 2010, signed We The People.” These people raised some $6,500. to put that billboard up for the next nine months. It’s estimated that over 100,000 people a month will see that billboard.

The people have had it crr6, and folks like you will go back to your closet before this is over with.

Keemo on March 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Maher is simply a professional jerk. He is placed on TV in order to attract a certain demographic’s eyeballs to advertising.

Once he is no longer effective at attracting those eyeballs, he will be gone.

crosspatch on March 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Bush was a miserable failure, and Obama was elected as a result…

crr6

Obama is proving to be such an incredible success, too. Hopefully we will have only one term of Obama’s failings before someone else is elected as a result.

Boxy_Brown on March 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Bill Maher’s opinions totally suck!! Especially his concept of God. This A-Hole climbed out from under a rock!! Talk about lipstick on a PIG!! How about a horses ass on a windy day? F’n burned out alcoholic!!

sonnyspats1 on March 6, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Maher is a waste of skin and oxygen.

csdeven on March 6, 2010 at 6:03 PM

He’s boorish and grumpy. I can get that around the house, no need to watch it on TV.

Yellowdog12 on March 6, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Speedwagon82 on March 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Ha Ha lefty troll. Your side really got a great change with the last POTUS victory! This new administration is totally divorced from the wars, the big spending, the rendition of prisoners and all the other stuff which you used to crucify W for doing.

The only difference is that we have every Dem pork project in the universe putting our decendents into debt and a historic President.

The only difference was that Juan had more experience, backbone and common sense. And is less of an arrogant mental case.

For good or ill, the nation would have gotten further away from W with McLame.

But it is early. One small event and the financial house of cards will topple. And we may get a radical. But he will not be a lefty!

IlikedAUH2O on March 6, 2010 at 6:41 PM

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM

He lost because he didn’t win his homestate.

Holger on March 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM

CCR must approve of what Bill M. says and probably approves of all hate messages from the left. This is no surprise and then she gets offended if anyone on the right says something offensive. These leftists clowns are so used to having a leftist soviet press that anything that escapes the MSM will be ignored by the left. This is how they handled it in the USSR. The left is not tolerant of anything and they are all true collectivists and want total power in their hands. Nothing liberal of their agenda.

garydt on March 6, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Typical leftist… Please see Sean Penn

Good thing they got that cool, calm guy leading them.

UnderstandingisPower on March 6, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Geraldo did a short interview with Penn while in Haiti
and asked that we should now love him cuz he’s helping those people through the tragedy with hands on assistance.

Ok. I liked Penn for 2 minutes. Times up and it was a long 2 minutes.

Texyank on March 6, 2010 at 7:17 PM

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:33 PMFixed that for ya. Even the press after examining the ballots agree that Bush won. The continued re-counting and attempting to divine voter intent was for one purpose only — to be able to invent sufficient votes for Gore to steal the election. The Supreme Court stepped in because the Florida Supreme court was making up rules and laws as it went along instead of upholding Florida law.

AZfederalist on March 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM

shhh! IT loses it’s erection when you start stating facts.

Red State State of Mind on March 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM

by such a wide margin that he didn’t even need a recount ; )

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM

….But enough about Stuart Smalley….

Red State State of Mind on March 6, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Sorry. Never has been funny. Nothing but a mean spirited disgusting little prick.

Sporty1946 on March 6, 2010 at 8:00 PM

We must ask Bill what it’s like to have to use Preperation H for lip balm.

Woody

woodcdi on March 6, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Ed your wrong..this was wishing Beck to be killed. Why is this complicated for you?
georgealbert on March 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM

I agree 100%.

I’m guessing Maher never took the celebrity oath to Obama? I guess we have to be world citizens unless it is about somebody we don’t agree with. Then it’s ok because they deserve it?

re: Beck I have been consistently watching him lately and I enjoy his show now more than ever. I know many of you are light years ahead of me on American and world history but I just want to say that I’m actually listening and learning instead of just listening to Beck. I spent most of my adult life NOT learning history and so I’m glad he’s doing what he’s doing. I’m glad he’s changed the tone of his show. I think it is heartfelt on his part.

Mr_Magoo on March 6, 2010 at 8:23 PM

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM

He lost because he didn’t win his homestate.

Holger on March 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM

He also lost Bobby Byrd’s state of West Virginia, which has 2 Democrat Senators and had until 2000 voted for Democrats for President since time began.

Woulda also helped his case to win Bill Clinton’s home state of Arkansas. He couldn’t even do that.

FYI the “Perfect Tie” book I mentioned earlier in this thread wasn’t just about the Florida recount but also the entire campaign. And the authors, after analyzing the evidence, concluded that Gore not only ran a horrible campaign, but was also tainted by his association with his boss, who was a felony perjurer.

They’re not saying that Clinton’s actions made AGW lose the election, but instead question his decision not to have Clinton campaign for him. Of course, this ignores the fact that most of the candidates Clinton has campaigned for before and since have lost their races. Including his wife in 2008.

Del Dolemonte on March 6, 2010 at 8:28 PM

He lost a lot of ‘Southern’ states because of his anti-gun stance. Something that carried over from that phony ‘assault’ weapons ban.
Even in my home hick state of Arkansas, we don’t like politicians touching our guns.
But don’t you worry. I’m certain that every self-professed educated troll such as cur6, grow_brains, et al would have some lofty pronouncement for our neanderthality.
Screw it. If my buddy W. could invent words, so can I.

Lanceman on March 6, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Crr6 – you are at least as malignant a growth on a liberal’s hemorrhoid as Maher is. Why don’t you just get the f*** out to some place like Nigeria or any other garden spot of your choosing. What a dirt Bag!!

LarryG on March 6, 2010 at 8:54 PM

disa on March 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Maher’s only a libertarian insofar as he hates religion and loves drugs.

Also: Am I alone in thinking that his face looks like a foot?

ZK on March 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM

If Gore had carried his home state , Florida would have been irrelevant. Maher is the epitome of evil. Those who enjoy him are intellectually incompetent.,

volsense on March 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Maher is a complete hypocrite. He goes to sleep most nights sniffing a stolen pair of Ann Coulter’s panties. What a perv.

RandyChandler on March 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM

“…I don’t like Bill Maher any more than most Hot Air readers…”

Hmmm … don’t like us Hot Air readers much???

La Mano on March 6, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM

SMACKDOWN!!!!!!

Brilliantly done, Del! One of the best posts I’ve read on HA in a long time. Thanks!

BTW, I’m one of those adults living in the real world who actually has things to do on weekends. Otherwise I would have been at my computer at 3:30 this afternoon to respond in a more timely manner. ;-)

UltimateBob on March 7, 2010 at 12:00 AM

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM

He lost because he didn’t get as many votes. That was true in the count, the recount and the re-re-count and the re-re-re-counts that were done after all was said and done. The claim Gore would have won if you could have just “kept counting” is nothing more than acknowledging they were out to steal it by finding “votes” and didn’t get the chance.

KittyLowrey on March 7, 2010 at 12:51 AM

And Ed, of course Maher wished Beck dead. One can denounce it without indulging in an unseemly orgy of “outrage”. It’s the right thing to do.

KittyLowrey on March 7, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Maher’s a tool…..a dull and useless tool

Vntnrse on March 7, 2010 at 1:07 AM

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM

NO. YOU are still caught up in it. Read your posts. By the way, every urban secular leftist I’ve talked to since that election (not too many) still thinks the election was stolen by Bush.

You lefties need to move on. Three recounts and Bush still wins.

New motto for the Dems: “Recounts til we win!”

Sapwolf on March 7, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Bill Maher… That reminds me; I need to call DirecTV and cancel my HBO package… And tell them ‘why’…

Khun Joe on March 7, 2010 at 2:21 AM

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Yeah, um, congratulations on stopping Bush from winning a third term or something. Wonder if your boy will even make it through his first term.

Ronnie on March 7, 2010 at 2:25 AM

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM

The part that counted was 7-2. So in SCt terms, it was a landslide.

MoveOn dot org.

misterpeasea on March 7, 2010 at 5:02 AM

volsense on March 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Is there anyone that really enjoys him?
Or is it more like the habit of looking just before flushing?

justltl on March 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM

See what I mean?

justltl on March 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM

I don’t know why people repeat what Bill Maher says about anything. He is on pay for TV you know HBO if no one mentions what he says on his program, no one would know…I would freeze him out not blog about him maybe his troll bait commentary would change?

Dr Evil on March 7, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Bill Maher is slowly morphing into another Keith Olbermoron.
Maybe someone can get a grant to study this syndrome.

mad scientist on March 7, 2010 at 10:15 AM

New motto for the Dems: “Recounts til we win!”

Sapwolf on March 7, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Al Franken agrees.

Del Dolemonte on March 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM

UltimateBob on March 7, 2010 at 12:00 AM

One of the later comments on this thread claimed crr was Wiki-educated, so just for the heck of it I decided to see what Wiki had to say about the 7-2 and 5-4 SCOTUS decisions.

Of course, they jumped right over the 7-2 decision as if it were irrelevant, but devoted a great deal of space to the 5-4 ruling. No wonder their own founder Jimmy Wales says Wiki can never be relied upon as a “reliable” reference source.

Del Dolemonte on March 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM

/yawn

You can tell the writers for Billy read The Onion. I guess after a few months, they assume that it’s no longer plagiarism…?

CatsGodot on March 8, 2010 at 1:26 AM

This guys irrelevent and will soon fade into obscrurity. I hope he ends up homeless and sleeping under an interstate overpass somewhere in L.A.

TrickyDick on March 8, 2010 at 8:49 AM