The obligatory “Maher wishes Beck dead” post

posted at 9:13 am on March 6, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Look, I don’t like Bill Maher any more than most Hot Air readers, although I used to watch him back in the Politically Incorrect days, when he used to actually be funny. I don’t see what’s unusual about this, other than being somewhat less tasteless than Maher usually gets. Despite the mail and tweets I’m getting, Maher isn’t wishing Glenn Beck dead, but making a bad joke. There’s a difference between this and, say, the Michael Moore anger over the 9/11 plotters targeting the tolerant blue cities of New York and DC instead of the xenophobes in the Midwest, or Ward Churchill’s argument that the 9/11 victims got what they deserved — a big difference. I don’t think Glenn Beck is going to lose any sleep over this (from Mediaite TV):

Tacky, yes. But outrageous? Yawn. I’ll save my outrage for government abuse of power and politicians selling influence.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

does anyone still watch this guy, or care what he thinks?

right4life on March 6, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I wouldnt waste my time giving this A-Hole a thouht in hell.

Never watch him, never watched his stupid movie , and could give a big damn about him.

He’s a loser…..

bluegrass on March 6, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Typical leftist… Please see Sean Penn

Good thing they got that cool, calm guy leading them.

UnderstandingisPower on March 6, 2010 at 9:17 AM

ratings have to be tanking.

rob verdi on March 6, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Yeah, bad jokes are pretty much all Maher has left. If it wasn’t for his tasteless jokes and comments no one would watch his show.

It’s more or less an act of desperation.

darwin on March 6, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Zzzz. Alleged Comedian trots out “I hope he dies” as punchline.

Lehosh on March 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM

This guy is right on the very edge of the cliff.

yoda on March 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM

It’s interesting that the lefties want harm to come to the people they oppose, while the righties want the lefties to keep talking. They end up proving our point everytime.

uber-con on March 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Beck seems to strike a cord with some people.
Maher seems to trigger the gag reflex with most.

elderberry on March 6, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Sounds about par for the Lefty course. Anytime something happens like this, they would rather it be Beck, Rush, or whoever is in the spotlight at the time.

Actually, I think the more they say things like this, the more it loses its sting. And the less attention tools like this will get because of it.

On Mahar’s decline, I agree he used to be a lot better before he got so bitter. I used to think that I would love pay to see a head-to-head between Mahar and Dennis Miller. Little did I know at the time that I had completely reversed assigned sides. Not to mention nowdays that Miller could take down Mahar without a second thought.

JamesLee on March 6, 2010 at 9:24 AM

It is a mistake to give this cockroach any publicity. His career is nearly dead as it is. Why put it on life support?

SurferDoc on March 6, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Flash : Bill Maher “unexpectedly” unfunny.

cyclown on March 6, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Beck has exposed the liberal/progressive/socialist/communist agenda better then anyone. He has identified the enemy of democracy and exposed them for what they are. I thank God for Glenn Beck being able to explain history at this critical time. For without him, I fear this country would be much worse off. May Gode watch over him and protect him from the onslaugt the progressives will throw at him.

trs on March 6, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Must flee TV.

JammieWearingFool on March 6, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Typical Liberal diatribe. Never debate the issue. Always attack the messenger. The ad hominem attack is all they have.

A waste of good bandwidth.

GoldenEagle4444 on March 6, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Wow. That was funny. He’s not paying his writers enough for yuks like that.

ncborn on March 6, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Ed your wrong..this was wishing Beck to be killed. Why is this complicated for you? What if Maher had said Obama instead of Beck?? Besides the federal crime difference, what is the moral difference?? none

Wishing people dead, especially in light of some nut actually shooting police, is not funny. That is not making a joke. It is concerning to me that you think that is making a joke. Gheesh

georgealbert on March 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM

does anyone still watch this guy, or care what he thinks?

right4life on March 6, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I canceled my HBO, specifically because of this tool, and the other leftist claptrap they regularly put on.

Rebar on March 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Glenn will wear it like a badge of honor. It must really irk Maher that Beck is about a thousand times more popular and much better paid than he is. Which is really why little Billy hates him so much. Jealousy .

Guardian on March 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Like most on the Left, this hateful little man lost whatever sanity he had on December 12, 2000, when the Bush-loving Supreme Court “stole” the election for Chimpy (by a 7-2 vote).

It’s been all downhill ever since.

Del Dolemonte on March 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Jealousy and envy is not a pretty picture is it?

conservnut on March 6, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Bill who?

cannonball on March 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Rebar on March 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Us too, I will not support that network or those people.

conservnut on March 6, 2010 at 9:37 AM

does anyone still watch this guy, or care what he thinks?

Outside of conservative blog sites, no, I don’t know anyone who does.

Go RBNY on March 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM

I am still trying to recall anytime in the past that I actually thought Bill Maher was funny. Frankly, this guy would be more at home on MSNBC than on HBO.

pilamaye on March 6, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Bill Maher stealing material from Wanda Sykes now? A sistah can’t get no respect!

RedRedRice on March 6, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Ed –

Lay down and cram in another hour of sleep. You used Maher and funny together in the same lifetime.

Anyway, if you thoughtfully parse what Maher said, it makes no sense at all. What he is saying is akin to the m’ad-libs paperback fill-in-the-blank games we used to play when we were juveniles.

ericdijon on March 6, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Maher is stoking the fires of hate for career gain. In lefty circles, it’s the chic thing to do.

petefrt on March 6, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I see it as a continuation of liberal murder, rape, and death fantasies towards anyone who disagrees with them.

Rode Werk on March 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Rebar on March 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Me too. I hope you wrote them why you canceled.

petefrt on March 6, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Why even post anything this idiot says?

devere252 on March 6, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Maher’s joke is a reference to a video by The Onion:

thuja on March 6, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Did any one else get the joke?

Maher thinks Glenn Beck is a ‘Truther’.

percysunshine on March 6, 2010 at 9:48 AM

No big deal for Maher, since anyone who’s followed his career for the past decade knows this is something he’d say simply in a media-whorish attempt to be ‘shocking’. On the other hand, Alec Baldwin saying a decade ago on Conan’s show and saying Henry Hyde should be stoned to death was really Alec’s coming-out party as a batshirt liberal, and was the foundation for all of Baldwin’s craziness that followed.

jon1979 on March 6, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Why even post anything this idiot says?

devere252 on March 6, 2010 at 9:46 AM

So we have something to discuss on a Saturday morning?

thomasaur on March 6, 2010 at 9:48 AM

He’s a despicable little man and a waste of skin.

Tennman on March 6, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Why, Why, oh Why are the likes of Mr. Maher allowed to draw such felicitous fallacies regarding individuals who have issues and associate them with the majority of U.S. who do not agree with him.

Oh! that’s correct Political Correctness was concocted by the left to tell U.S. what is right to say and believe.

Better than the Lincoln and Douglas debate, would be Maher v Miller – bring it on.

MSGTAS on March 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM

He’s a despicable little man and a waste of thin skin.

Tennman on March 6, 2010 at 9:49 AM

FIFY

ericdijon on March 6, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Sounds like Mr. Beck is really getting to someone…

BobH on March 6, 2010 at 9:56 AM

On the contrary Bill, I ask why it couldn’t have been you.

quikstrike98 on March 6, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Attention whores like Maher and Olbermann are drowning in ratings so badly they’ll do anything to get a set of eyeballs to watch them. Surprised Ed fell for it.

SalHansen on March 6, 2010 at 9:57 AM

He got a lot meaner after his stripper ex-girlfriend took a good chunk of his money.

jukin on March 6, 2010 at 10:00 AM

What can anyone expect from a man who navigates life without a moral compass? Maher is obviously jealous of Glenn Beck.

sinsing on March 6, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I beg to differ Cap’n Ed. Maher absolutely wished Glenn Beck dead. It wasn’t just a tasteless joke. It was a blatant expression of a desire to see Glenn Beck dead. Whether he meant it or not is another question. But what he expressed is not in question.

“When we see crazy, senseless deaths like this, we can only ask, why, why, WHY couldn’t it have been Glenn beck.”

I don’t know how else one interprets those words.

IronDioPriest on March 6, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Oh, no!! Provocateur making provocative remarks! Ignore him, maybe he will go away. Considering his ability to influence, I think it is already happening.

Cindy Munford on March 6, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Of course liberals want Glenn Beck dead. He exposes their idiocies, lies & hypocrisies on a daily basis.

redridinghood on March 6, 2010 at 10:09 AM

TO quote Blackadder II:

It was terrific, Madam. I thank God I wore my corset, because
I think my sides have split.

I’m ecstatic about the whole incident. I only didn’t
laugh out loud because I was afraid if I did, my head would’ve
fallen off.

I prostrate myself at the feet of the world’s greatest living comedian. (bows)

Nethicus on March 6, 2010 at 10:14 AM

I’ve seen enough clips of this show, as I have of The View, to never have seen either show on TV. I couldn’t tell you what times, days, or channels either was on.

Marcus on March 6, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Maher is about as humorous as Al Franken. Need I say more?

docdave on March 6, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Smoking pot has been shown to worsen existing paranoid, delusional and psychotic behavior in those who partake of cannabis. Maher seems to resemble that remark. He is morphing into FatAss Olbermann. Put down the bong, Billy.

Philly on March 6, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Steve Allen tried to take this putz under his wing before he died. Too bad that none of Mr. Allen’s intelligence and good-natured humor rubbed off on this cretin.

kingsjester on March 6, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Ed, Maher’s comment is the SAME as the one Michael Moore made. Obviously, Moore wanted a different set of 1000s killed, while Maher wanted just a different person killed. But it’s the same concept.

Hey, didn’t Lefties blame O’Reilly when a doctor who performed late term abortions was murdered? O’Reilly never said that he wished the doctor dead. All he said, if I remember correctly, was that he thought the doctor was committing murder. On that basis, the Lefties laid the blame at O’Reilly’s feet.

Here, Maher isn’t just saying that he thinks what Beck is espousing is wrong, Maher goes further and says that Beck should be dead.

Where is the protest from the Left against what it considers provocation?

Ira on March 6, 2010 at 10:22 AM

To act of wishing another dead is very simple.

It’s called evil. Yes. Evil.

Until we, as a culture can denounce this kind of behavior, we will continue to decline at a rapid rate.

This is the kind of mindset that frightens me when thinking of where we’re heading. If one set of values overpowers the other, these are the people who will turn a blind eye or even encourage another Nazi Germany or Stalin’s Russia.

Wake up folks!

katy on March 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM

And yet somehow the meme that conservatives are hate mongers continues to be spread and accepted by a small (and hopefully shrinking) majority. I actually had to sit through a homily by a priest at my local cathedral a few weeks ago, where ‘talk radio’ (which we all know is code for conservative pundits) was used as an example of how ‘angry’ and coarse our culture had become. Somehow, the good father has managed to completely miss the actual anger and hate on the left. And he wondered that he had ‘angered’ half of his congregation. Ugh!!!

pannw on March 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Are you hearing the hysterical laughter fromn Maher’s audience? Not only do they fill his studio during every taping, but they seem to be genuinely rolling in the aisles and having a smashing good time.

Could it be us who are wrong?

jay12 on March 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Where’s that liberal tolerance and inclusiveness we keep hearing so much about? Urban legend.

Philly on March 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Did someone tell Maher that what he thinks is important?

TimBuk3 on March 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Wake up folks!

katy on March 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I used to wonder how on earth things got to be so horrific, but here in the ‘civilized’ United States of America we have the likes of pop-culture princess Meghan Fox wishing Christians would be wiped off the planet and yet people still pay to see her movies, read about her in magazines, etc… I don’t wonder anymore.

pannw on March 6, 2010 at 10:39 AM

This isn’t new territory for Maher. 2 years ago when Heath Ledger OD’d, he said on his show that he was regretful that it wasn’t Rush. So not only is he meanspirited and hateful, but he’s recycling his material as well.

BTW, when I moved a year ago into a new house with the wife, I didn’t resubscribe to HBO. Maher is the reason why. We also refused to buy a fridge made by GE.

Doughboy on March 6, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Poor taste, but that’s all.

Sure, but for sharks, Maher would taste good.

Speakup on March 6, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Ed, I love your work, but, Hot Air seems to be getting more and more PC. Maher openly asked why it wasn’t Glenn who was shot. Where are you missing the facts?

On another note, those who stand up for McConnell and Boehner, why didn’t they stand behind Bunning? NOW is the time to fight, to draw the line, no matter what. Our lives, freedom and fortunes are in peril.

davecatbone on March 6, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Gee, maybe they “pipe in” laughter and applause? Just askin….

JamesLee on March 6, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Yeah, bad jokes are pretty much all Maher has left. If it wasn’t for his tasteless jokes and comments no one would watch his show hear his name mentioned anywhere. Ever.

It’s more or less an act of desperation.

darwin on March 6, 2010 at 9:20 AM

mrt721 on March 6, 2010 at 10:54 AM

As someone who has laughed at dead baby jokes, dead lawyer jokes (“What do you call a busload of lawyers driving off a cliff? A good start”), exploding Space Shuttle jokes, etc., I shan’t be throwing a stone. I’m with Ed.

mcg on March 6, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Wasn’t this guy originally a comedian?

What does he get paid for now?

Political naggery?

jjrakman on March 6, 2010 at 10:58 AM

He performs as expected, badly. Maher is just another low-rent knucklehead democrap.

Zorro on March 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Oh, see what envy can do to a second-rate, godless, almost-was.

ROCnPhilly on March 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM

You know Beck will have a great time with this.

katy the mean old lady on March 6, 2010 at 11:05 AM

This man is the main reason we canceled HBO a few years ago.

Keemo on March 6, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I have to disagree with Ed. Maher was definitely wishing Beck dead. The nutjob died and Maher asks, “Why couldn’t it have been Glenn Beck?” I don’t see any other way to take that comment. But I do agree that I don’t think Glenn is going to lose any sleep over it.

Keep talking, lefties. You help us out every time you open your mouths.

Lizzy on March 6, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Quit posting here, take a page from their playbook, and write to HBO to express your outrage that Maher’s inciting the murder of Glenn.

sitefeedbackgeneral@hbo.com

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I was watching Glenn Beck’s show yesterday. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen it. I can see why Maher is so threatened. It was a fascinating episode about the education system.

As for Maher wishing Beck dead, I’m not shocked. I never wish people dead, no matter who it is. It’s bad luck/karma/whatever you want to call it. If Maher wants to deal with the consequences of putting that out in the world, he can go right ahead.

As for Glenn Beck, I hope he continues to drive ‘em all nuts!

mjk on March 6, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Tacky, yes. But outrageous? Yawn.

It’s outrageous because Maher actually thought that hackneyed joke was funny. Hell, it wasn’t very funny the first hundred times I heard it with other names attached.

RadClown on March 6, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Some one earlier made a really good point. I used to think that HBO was necessary for my viewing pleasure. But I don’t get it anymore.

Hadn’t even realized it.

thgrant on March 6, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Liberals in media really don’t know how to deal with the fact that conservatives have taken away their popularity.The lefties thought they owned the media because they were so talented.Now that they are getting creamed in the ratings by conservatives,they only have one avenue to try to regain their popularity,and that is the personal attack.Even Ann Coulter does comedy better than Maher.
Conservatives are beating Liberals at their own game,and Liberals can’t stand it.

DDT on March 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Pray for Obama, Pelosi, and Reid!

Psalm 109:8

SouthernGent on March 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Whenever the cable company calls to sell me a new cable bundle, it always includes HBO. I tell them every time, when HBO gets rid of Bill Maher, I may reconsider, but until then, I will NEVER subscribe.

IronDioPriest on March 6, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Maher is to comedy what Air America was to radio.

He is but a sad and loathsome fool.

TheSitRep on March 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Didn’t there used to be a comic named Bill Maher? What happened to him, did he retire or something?

rbj on March 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM

So he’s joking about wishing Beck dead, not actually wishing for it?

I wonder how that would play out if, say, Evan Sayet joked “It’s really sad when we see crazy, senseless deaths like this… why, why couldn’t it have been <NAME DELETED TO KEEP SECRET SERVICE FROM ARRESTING ANYONE>?”

The Monster on March 6, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Yeah you keep saying that.

What was the vote on the remedial issue?

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Bill who?

Midas on March 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Yeah you keep saying that.

What was the vote on the remedial issue?

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 12:14 PM

10 years later and these fools are still debating hanging chads. Crr6′s last words on his death bed will be ‘count every vote’.

angryed on March 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM

It seems like todays comedians would rather make 100 Glenn Beck/Sarah Palin jokes than one about Obama/Biden.

Speedwagon82 on March 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM

If all they have in rebuttal to Glenn Beck is to wish him dead, it tells me Glenn Beck is right on, they know it, and there is nothing they can do about it.

Funny, isn’t it? The truth is a brick wall. Jump, Bill, jump!

Woody

woodcdi on March 6, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Yeah you keep saying that.

What was the vote on the remedial issue?

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 12:14 PM

10 years later and these fools are still debating hanging chads. Crr6’s last words on his death bed will be ‘count every vote’.

angryed on March 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I didn’t bring it up. Delmonte seems to be the one hanging on to it.

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Can’t get angry at Maher, this is his thing, the same typical left-wing crapfest.

The fact HBO still gives him this platform though is another story.

Rbastid on March 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Hardy Har Har! That was so funny I forgot to laugh. Note to Bill: Get a new job.Comedy is NOT your calling.

margretto on March 6, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Maher is just sad and pathetic. I don’t quite know how to articulate it, but there is a vast difference between him and say, Jon Stewart. Maher just seems like the kind of guy who would kick a puppy if its owner happened to be conservative. He thinks he’s clever and cutting edge, but it comes across as hackneyed.

Vera on March 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Maher actually wishes Jon Stewart dead – Stewart stole his career. Stomached Maher’s show once for 5 minutes – never again. He laughs before, during & after his own screeds.

BHO Jonestown on March 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM

When Hemorrhoids Talk: the miracle of Bill Maher

profitsbeard on March 6, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Maher is an intern or two away from being David Letterman. Two used-to-be quasi-funny comedians that are now bitter and full of seething hatred for anyone with a different point of view. They see the twilight of their careers rapidly approaching and are trying desperately to remain relevant.

Please don’t be an enabler…let them pass into obscurity in peace.

Left Coast Right Mind on March 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Does he really think this or did a group of joke writers put it in his routine?

J.J. Sefton on March 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Yeah you keep saying that.

What was the vote on the remedial issue?

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Thanks for admitting I struck a raw nerve. But my intent was simply to illustrate what sent Maher off the rails, not to rehash the recount. Of course, the real problem with Gore is that he never would have needed to win Florida if he hadn’t been rejected by the voters of his own home state.

You know what that vote was as well as I do.

But that second 5-4 ruling isn’t why Gore lost. And you know that too. Which is why your side never mentions the SCOTUS 7-2 Equal Protection Clause ruling which actually decided the case merits, and it’s why your side also never mentions the earlier 9-0 SCOTUS b*tch-slapping of the previous Florida Supreme Court attempt to steal the election for Gore.

Likewise, your side never mentions that the all-Democrat Florida Supreme Court injected itself into the case unsolicited, and that its Chief Justice bitterly dissented from the court’s final “ruling” attempting to give Gore the Presidency. Said Chief Justice correctly predicted that his colleagues’ blatant attempt to steal the election would be laughed out of SCOTUS.

Your problem is that you’ve never read an objective book about the recount. Try “The Perfect Tie”, written by a couple of unbiased college poli sci professors. Their book makes Alan Dershowitz’ hastily thrown together account look like amateur hour.

Del Dolemonte on March 6, 2010 at 1:02 PM

davecatbone on March 6, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Because 80% of so called conservatives and Republicans are way more worried about what the lefties will say about them then actually speaking the truth.

That’s why the Dems have super-majorities in Congress, the Presidency, and the Repubs have nothing except a very slim majority on the Supremem Court, sometimes.

Dems lie cheat and steal, Repubs always try to be the nice guy.

Guess what? Nice guys finish last. And until Ed, Boehner, and the American people figure that out, we are all screwed.

Too bad Andrew Brietbart, Rush, Michael Savage, and Beck are the only people in America who have figured that out.

uknowmorethanme on March 6, 2010 at 1:13 PM

It’s also why HotAir created a super defensive word filter.

Charles Johnson. That’s why they got it. No other reason what-so-ever.

To me, that is sad, demeaning, and pathetic.

uknowmorethanme on March 6, 2010 at 1:14 PM

You really grant a free pass on these leftist hate mongers like Maher. But they spread their rants about death, wishing cancer, and malice continually with no penalty. And we see again and again these crazy leftist sheeple flip out and kill people. Metro shooter and Amy Bishop most recently. It’s one thing to say those killers were crazy lone gunman, but it’s getting really hard to say they are alone with all these leftist commentators behind them urging violence and preaching hate. The left sees violence as a useful tool. This wasn’t a bad joke by Maher, it was a call to violence.

chicagojedi on March 6, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Maher used to bill himself as a libertarian. What happened?

disa on March 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Thanks for admitting I struck a raw nerve.

You’re the one who seems excitable.

But that second 5-4 ruling isn’t why Gore lost. And you know that too.

You’re confused. While two of the justices in the minority (Souter and Breyer) agreed that there was merit to the question of “equal protection” in the case, they disagreed that there was no way to fairly remedy the situation in Florida in a timely manner so that the counting of valid ballots should be halted. In fact, they agreed with the Court’s minority that the US Supreme Court should not have taken this case in the first place.

Anyway, if there was some sort of consensus on the issue, why did Stevens write one of the most harshly worded dissents in SCOTUS history?
Still…that’s cool you read a book on it n’ stuff though.

9-0 b**-slapping? If I remember correctly, they basically declined to hear the case in its merits. You really are very confused. Perhaps you should read your book again, slowly.

crr6 on March 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM