Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on March 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The first rule lawyers learn, besides that every waking moment is billable to someone, is not to ask questions when you’re unprepared for the answer. The nation’s biggest celebrity Constitutional scholar must have skipped class that day at Harvard. At the end of the health-care summit last week, Barack Obama falls a little too in love with his own wit and gets zinged over reconciliation as a consequence:

Medical malpractice has been mentioned. Now, look, let me be honest. This is something, historically, that Democrats have been more resistant to than Republicans. I will note that, when we had a Republican president and Republicans controlled the House and Republicans controlled the Senate, somehow it didn’t happen. And I’m surprised.

(UNKNOWN): We needed 60 votes in the Senate, too, Mr. President.

OBAMA: Well, the — see… (LAUGHTER) See there?

When the GOP held a ten-vote advantage in the Senate, a slender majority in the House, and the Presidency, they could have attempted to force tort reform through Congress using reconciliation. Why didn’t they do it? Many of their own Senators would have objected to it as an abuse of the rules. And they would have been right.

Unfortunately, President Obama didn’t think before asking the question … and wound up with egg on his face.

Comments

That Senate wasn’t all about Obama so it doesn’t register with the filthy lying coward in the White House

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:08 AM

The White House’s Perry Mason! LOL!

Caper29 on March 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM

He didn’t even have to go to law school to learn this. All he had to do was read To Kill A Mockingbird.

Disturb the Universe on March 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Yeah, but were they brown eggs?

rightside on March 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM

The man has enough eggs on his face for a Texas sized omelette.

bikermailman on March 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Idiot. Just… idiot.

WesternActor on March 5, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Let me be honest…

No…please keep lying.

Disturb the Universe on March 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Odamna is an a$$. And I extend my sincere apologies to a$$es everywhere for the gratuitous insult. sheesh.

Crusader Rabbit on March 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM

All he had to do was read To Kill A Mockingbird.

Disturb the Universe on March 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM

This President doesn’t read. He’s barely articulate with a teleprompter. He is an uncultured Chicago street thug.

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM

He’s special.

tru2tx on March 5, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Good lord,Hopey was all over the map,
on that one!

canopfor on March 5, 2010 at 8:17 AM

The nation’s biggest celebrity Constitutional scholar

Perfect, Ed. That’s exactly what this a$$clown is — the People Magazine version of a constitutional law expert, without all that musty academic stuff like a job as a law professor, or any actual knowledge of the constitution.

Jaibones on March 5, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Well, at least we no longer have to ask ourselves the eternal question of what would happen if we were to put an arrogant, petulant little man-child with no discernible leadership qualities in the Oval Office.

Bruce in NH on March 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM

D’oh!

ted c on March 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Verbal TrainWreck!!

canopfor on March 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM

“Now, look, let me be honest.”

I thought that was going to be the Obamateurism.

Bishop on March 5, 2010 at 8:20 AM

the People Magazine version of a constitutional law expert

Judge Judy would be a million-fold improvement over Captain Hopeypants.

Bruce in NH on March 5, 2010 at 8:22 AM

The last time Republicans had 60 seats in the Senate was something like 1923.

Kafir on March 5, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Classic. This is a prime example of Obama being too green from a lack of real world experience: Namely not having spent any time in Congress. We basically elected a nice looking, smooth talking man from Chicago, not an experienced person who could actually lead.

taney71 on March 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM

lol…tell me about it. Few years back, after my $2,000 retainer had ‘run out’, some lawyer billed me for stamps, envelopes, and even when I phoned in to ask a question or two and got a 1 minute reply–bloodsuckers, I tell ya!

RepubChica on March 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Bruce in NH on March 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Yep, that one can be removed from the bucket list.

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM

May I suggest an alternate:

There is a a banner ad from Democracy For America on hot air right now that says: “Stand United With Dean for a Public Option”. Maybe you can’t blame this directly on Barry, but it is amateur indeed. Maybe The Yankees can buy some ad space on the Red Sox home page next.

angryed on March 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM

This guy’s a lawyer? Who took the bar for him? Bill Ayers, I mean he wrote his book for him. To think the lamestreammedia loves to lampoon GWB TO THIS DAY for his lack of eloquence; but at least Bush knew WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT! Moron-in-Chief. {Cue music; dumb dumb dumbdumbdumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb!}

Deckard on March 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM

RepubChica on March 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM

And the sad part is that since the lawyer was working on some other client’s stuff when you called, that guy got charged for the very same time that you did.

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM

angryed on March 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Standing on Howard Dean is about the best I can support.

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Ed, that is a scurrilous lie. As I learned in law school, if you have a dream about a client, that too is billable.

Dear Liar is giving lawyers a bad name.

rbj on March 5, 2010 at 8:27 AM

taney71 on March 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Aren’t we lucky? (:

yoda on March 5, 2010 at 8:27 AM

And what was this guy’s last job before his current job?

Senator.

Was he even awake when sitting in the U.S. Senate?

cs89 on March 5, 2010 at 8:28 AM

He actually believes that the GOP is resisting this on purely Partisan grounds, obviously. There couldn’t be any other reason, because “everyone knows” that the GOP hates poor people.

I really try not to call the President a Moron, but sometimes I can’t help it. Moron.

Mord on March 5, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I think obama belives in a magic wand that just makes things happen

seaniep on March 5, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Now, look, let me be honest.

Nobody’s stopping you, Mr. President. If you “want to be honest” just go ahead and do it.

jwolf on March 5, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Deckard on March 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM

The bar exam is pass/fail. Scrape by with one point to spare, and you’re a lawyer.

Wethal on March 5, 2010 at 8:31 AM

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM

yup. But the real kicker is most of that conversation was with the legal assistant/secretary. It was only at my insistence that I was transferred to the actual attorney. The entire call was billed at the head attorney’s rate of $250 an hour broken down to the nanosecond.

RepubChica on March 5, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Now, look, let me be honest.

Who feels compelled to make this distinction while speaking to people?

rogerb on March 5, 2010 at 8:33 AM

I think someone on another thread identified “Unknown” as Lamar Alexander. Didn’t know Lamar had any talent for snappy comebacks, but apparently he did.

Wethal on March 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM

OT: 36,000 jobs lost in February(all due to snow I’m sure), yet somehow the unemployment rate remains at 9.7%. More people dropping out of the work force?

Doughboy on March 5, 2010 at 8:35 AM

I think obama belives in a magic wand that just makes things happen

seaniep on March 5, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Not a magic wand per se. He still believes in the Obama “magic” where he just shows up and everything goes the way he wants. That’s why he jetted off to Copenhagen on behalf of the Chicago Olympic bid, not to mention his efforts on behalf of Corzine, Deeds, and Coakley. The ability to shuck and jive and get results has disappeared.

Speaking of Olympics- Did you see that during the closing ceremony in Vancouver Obama was given a gold medal by the IOC? Fastest downhill run by a President ever.

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:36 AM

More Pants On The Ground brilliance!

GnuBreed on March 5, 2010 at 8:37 AM

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Good one highhopes!!!

yoda on March 5, 2010 at 8:38 AM

“Now, look, let me be honest.”

I thought that was going to be the Obamateurism.

Bishop on March 5, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Awesome…

KeepOhioRed on March 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM

It is now getting to the place with B.O. that he might as well start using an egg-based facial cream on a daily basis. Lord knows he gets more than enough egg in his face as is now.

pilamaye on March 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Scrape by with one point to spare, and you’re a lawyer.

Wethal on March 5, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Which is why it was hillarious when John Kennedy Jr. was too damned stupid to pass until the third try.

As with everything else in his life, I’m sure that the bar gave Obama whatever points necessary so that he would pass as an affirmative action addition to the legal profession. It is only now that the rat bastard traitor is being held accountable for his actions as the President (not the black President). The filthy lying coward doesn’t know what to do when people treat him as they would anybody else.

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM

The leader of the free world is such a doofus. We have to be the laughingstocks of the world.

ladyingray on March 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM

That stupid summit was, to invoke a cliche, a target-rich environment for OOTD, wasn’t it?

Who feels compelled to make this distinction while speaking to people?

rogerb on March 5, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Indeed. Possibly somebody who isn’t in the habit of being so?

mr.blacksheep on March 5, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Bruce in NH on March 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM

In other words, we learned that a black Jimmy Carter is just as catastrophic as a white Jimmy Carter.

wildcat84 on March 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Mord on March 5, 2010 at 8:30 AM

More like a Moron studying to be an imbecile and failing miserably.

doriangrey on March 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM

The lawyer was near the back of the line at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter called him to the head of the line, and singled him out for special treatment.

The lawyer was delighted, but also a little perplexed. “What did I do to receive such special treatment, St. Peter?” asked the lawyer.

St Peter replied: “Well, we’ve been through your billing records, and we’ve calculated that you are in excess of 200 years old!”

mr.blacksheep on March 5, 2010 at 8:46 AM

crr6 to post a tortured, over-spun response defending Obama as a “brilliant” Harvard man in 3 … 2 … 1 …

darwin on March 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM

More like a Moron studying to be an imbecile and failing miserably.

doriangrey on March 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Given the number of morons in Congress, the imbecile exam is apparently quite onerous.

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Man, Giggles really is dumb as a box of rocks, isn’t he?

crazy_legs on March 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

eggs? heck, just let me eat my waffle…

jbh45 on March 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

mr.blacksheep on March 5, 2010 at 8:46 AM

LOL!

highhopes on March 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

The nation’s biggest celebrity Constitutional scholar…

I love this! I’m going to use it all day long!
And now, seriously, Øbummer! It’s the ECONOMY, Stoopid! Don’t you know what to do solve these economic woes? J-O-B-S! A paycheck! NOT Health Scare reform which won’t even kick in for 5 years (except for the prepayments …).

ExpressoBold on March 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

crazy_legs on March 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Box of rocks called and told me to stop with the insults.

jbh45 on March 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

darwin on March 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Shhhhh! She’ll show up and start filibustering again.

kingsjester on March 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM

darwin on March 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM

nah, she doesn’t get up until noon. then she goes down to cash her govt checks, play lotto, rifle through back alley garbage for plastic bottles before heading to the library to check HA.

jbh45 on March 5, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Now, look, let me be honest.

That sentence used to come from my ex-bil and always immediately preceeded a huge, huge whopper.

Narcissist-in-chief, indeed.

cibolo on March 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Have any of obama’s school grades ever been released at all? I suppose they are pretty to very good but I’d just like to see them. I have to give him one plus today and that is the decision to hold the KSM trial in a military setting. Much as most of us,get ready for understatement, don’t like him–we should acknowledge it when he does something that we approve of. Wonder sometimes if all this constant carping will begin to fall into the too much of a good thing category? If we keep doing it, people will stop listening when it’s really important? Just sayin’.

jeanie on March 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Those aren’t eggs; It’s snot.
This pathetic individual is all fool. No watered down version. Just complete fool.

Cybergeezer on March 5, 2010 at 9:08 AM

The hits keep coming. What an idiot.

keebs on March 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM

jeanie on March 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

It has been discovered that Baracks boogers have been the the reason no one has found any evidence of Barack Obama’s paperwork from any of his classes as the paperwork has been either stuck to other pages or folders, or it has been destroyed from jamming the copy machines and fax machines used to try to make or send copies.
Even today, Barack uses boogers as bookmarks. This is most likely the reason he hasn’t provided any healthcare bill of his own.
It’s not “Barack Hussein Obama, MMMMM, MMMMM, MMMMM”, any more;
It’s now “Barack Hussein Obama, boogety, boogety, boogety, boogety, shoo”.

Cybergeezer on March 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Let me be honest …

Haven’t tge earthquakes in Haiti and Chile done enough damage without calling down the wrath of God?

ya2daup on March 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM

We basically elected a nice looking, smooth talking man from Chicago, not an experienced person who could actually lead. taney71 on March 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM

You left out “clean”.

Dingbat63 on March 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM

P’haps, the problem isn’t about “Republicans” or “Democrats”

Mebbe’, electing “lawyers” isn’t such a good idea?

Lawyers are embedded, like termites, in every facet of our society, from the medical industry, to the insurance industry, to the financial industry, spending all their time enriching themselves at everyone else’s expense.

Every industry has to have a bank of lawyers to protect themselves from other lawyers.

And, no one can figure out why health care costs are skyrocketing?.. Why health care insurance rates are skyrocketing?

pffffft

franksalterego on March 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM

You left out “clean”.

Dingbat63 on March 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Clean nose picker?

Cybergeezer on March 5, 2010 at 9:19 AM

jeanie on March 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I bet you’re soft and pillowy all over! Is this DeeDee? I know it is! It’s Friday. What time does Happy Hour start?

ExpressoBold on March 5, 2010 at 9:24 AM

For release later this year, from Dummies for Dummies Press, “Barack Obama’s Big Picture Book of Courtroom Strategery.” Bonus box of crayons included.

ya2daup on March 5, 2010 at 9:25 AM

The nation’s biggest celebrity Constitutional scholar

Which Constitution?

publiuspen on March 5, 2010 at 9:26 AM

You can bet it will no longer be viewed as an abuse of the rules if the Democrats use it. After all, if your opponent holds a nuclear weapon and has shown a propensity to use same, your desire to hold and use same rises proportionately.

unclesmrgol on March 5, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I count my blessings this guy was not my Con Law professor in law school.

How this miscreant got to teach Con Law at any law school is beyond me…oh wait…affirmative action. never mind.

elduende on March 5, 2010 at 9:29 AM

If it weren’t for the resume padding and powerful friends in Chicago, Obama would never have amounted to anything more than a mediocre state legislator. Hillary goes to bed each night mumbling “I lost to that?!?”

RobertE on March 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Awwww it’s not Obama’s fault he sounded like an idiot there. It’s the teleprompters fault for not showing up.

capejasmine on March 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM

B+???

It would appear to me that Mr. Obama is barely pulling a C- in his second year of Congressional Process course. Let’s not even go into his American Foreign Diplomacy and World History efforts.

parke on March 5, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Brill-Yunt.

TimBuk3 on March 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM

You left out “clean”.

Dingbat63 on March 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Thanks, Joe!

qestout on March 5, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Unfortunately, President Obama didn’t think

He tries to do as little of that as possible.

GarandFan on March 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Did someone write his papers for him and take his tests while at Columbia and Harvard? Seriously, how can someone this ignorant and duncelike, someone who doesn’t even understand the basic principles of everyday things like car insurance, have made it so far without help?

Buy Danish on March 5, 2010 at 10:47 AM

let me be honest.

Let me be clear, it would be nice to hope for change and unexpectedly discover that you, Mr. President, were unprecedentedly attempting to be honest.

rukiddingme on March 5, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Now, look, let me be honest.

So, people have caught onto “Let me be clear.” and it isn’t polling well these days?

The Smartest Man in the Room™ continues to get schooled.

Left Coast Right Mind on March 5, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I think obama belives in a magic wand that just makes things happen
seaniep 8:30 AM

like he believes money grows on trees.

ziggyville on March 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Dear Leader! I wondered what it was like to live under an ignorant dictator. I got my chance and I didn’t have to move.

BRB,
Headed to Ammo Depot.

daesleeper on March 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Man oh man, what a chump

John the Libertarian on March 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM

have there ever been any studies to examine malpractice lawsuits, to determine if they were brought about by doctors being understaffed, over tired, or under funded, and whether the amount of money they have to pay for malpractice insurance affects those outcomes?

Just wondering if doctors didn’t have to pay enormous malpractice insurance, to cover massive lawsuits, they could afford to hire more help, hospitals wouldn’t have to cut staff, and medical personnel wouldn’t be so exhausted, which could cut down on actual errors being made, leading to a decrease in malpractice suits…

Most errors, I would assume, are plain human error due to exhaustion or lack of (quality) staff. Obviously there are some who are just plain crappy and fraudulent, and should lose their license, but doctors are human too…

Anyone know?

sarainitaly on March 5, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I always think of Obama pacing around the Oval Office every day, when I watch the last turd circle the bowl just before going down the drain.
Makes my day in more ways than one!

Cybergeezer on March 5, 2010 at 1:23 PM

sarainitaly on March 5, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Many doctors I know have formed a practice that incorporates several doctors under an umbrella corporation/LLC/Professional Association, that enables them to pool some of their insurance coverage.
Are you really in Italy?

Cybergeezer on March 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Now, look, let me be honest.

You repeat yourself, Pinocchio.

Schadenfreude on March 5, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Zing!

El_Terrible on March 5, 2010 at 2:41 PM

(UNKNOWN): We needed 60 votes in the Senate, too, Mr. President.

Threadwinner…wait, can part of the article be the threadwinner?

Left Coast Right Mind on March 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM