Media pretty excited about Palin’s new “reality show”

posted at 8:06 pm on March 4, 2010 by Allahpundit

A nice example of how the press’s desire to believe the worst about Palin leads them to get things wrong. Step one: The Hollywood Reporter reports that she’s working on a “Planet Earth”-type documentary about Alaska for which cameras will follow her and her family around. Step two: Media outlets like Reuters pick up the news of a “reality show,” leading sites like Mediaite to wet their pants at the thought of the right’s blue-collar hero appearing in the sort of garish, low-rent, “Osbournes”-esque spectacle they’ve always imagined for her. Step three: The truth comes out.

The former governor, Mark Burnett (“Survivor,” “Expedition Africa,” “Eco-Challenge”) and Robert Barnett are in L.A. this week meeting with network heads about a documentary about Alaska. A source close to Palin says it is NOT a reality show of any sort, and NOT about her family, as some Hollywood media have speculated. It is about the people, geography, wildlife and wonders of Alaska. The source reports “great interest” in it from the nets. Meetings are yesterday and today with SIX networks.

In other words, it’s a “reality show” the way National Geographic specials are “reality shows.” Meanwhile, there’s a new scandal brewing: She and her chillbilly hordes descended upon an Oscar gift suite “like locusts,” grabbing everything their grubby little hick hands could handle. That’s step two of the scandal; step three is that she made a $1,700 donation to the Red Cross while she was there and, according to Andrew Malcolm of the LA Times, donated the swag she picked up to charity. As for the accusation that she wouldn’t let anyone on the scene take her picture, see C4P about that.

The exit question on everyone’s mind: What’s gotten into Juan Williams?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I keep wondering why Palin fans think that anyone who thinks she’s a simpleton who would be worse for the country than Obama is somehow a raging liberal.

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Nice try.

Now go play outside. The adults are trying to discuss big people stuff.

portlandon on March 4, 2010 at 9:43 PM

With 14% approval ratings, the made for TV train wreck will be starring Congress, not Sarah Palin.

jimmy2shoes on March 4, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I cant read McCain’s mind, but after her embarrassing and disastrous intro. to the nation, you can only conclude her looks were the overriding factor.

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Her introduction in Dayton, OH and the RNC sppech were anything but embarrassing. For point of reference, see above comment.

chunderroad on March 4, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Is Obama smarter than Palin? I’ve yet to see grades, papers, IQ, etc……He can’t manage without a teleprompter, and Andy Stern with George Soros pulling his strings. For all I know, he may be an affirmative action idiot…Go Sarah……

adamsmith on March 4, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Asto whether or not she was picked for her looks, it’s not as if “journalists” were trying to guess whether that was a phone or a boner in her pants, sweetie. Or like there was a billboard of her posing like a JC Penney catalog model above a Red Lobster in Times Square. Or topless on vacation in HI.

chunderroad on March 4, 2010 at 9:59 PM

alwaysfiredup on March 4, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Nonsense.

Couric: When it comes to establishing your worldview,I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you read regularly read before you were tapped for this, to stay informed and to understand the (overtalk) world?

Palin: I’ve read most of them again with a great appreciation for the press for the media, I mean…

Couric, Like what ones specifically? I’m curious that you…

Um, all of ‘em, any of ‘em that um have been in front of me over all these years, um…

The question was reiterated three times giving her a chance to name ONE newspaper she reads on a regular basis for heaven’s sake! Like I said, her intro the nation was a disaster that destroyed any chance of her ever taking any national office.

Really? Who? I haven’t heard that she has a speechwriter in her inner circle. Link?

OF COURSE she has a speechwriter. You think the woman who came off as a dimwit with a fool like Couric has, in the span of a bit over a year, somehow become a great orator? Hell, her facebooking is nothing but a list of GOP talking points and some over the top rhetoric added in that she can get away with, as she has nothing to lose currently being little more than a pundit and celebrity.

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 9:59 PM

chunderroad on March 4, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Yeah, and Obama, who can’t utter his own thoughts without a prompter present does a fantastic speech when scripted. That proves nothing. She can give a decent speech. I know that’s what I look for her in a leader. Can’t name a single newspaper or magazine that affects her worldview, but by gosh, she can read lines in a screen!

If Obama’s intro to the nation was as bad as Palin’s, we’d ALL be attacking him as a dunderhead. Double standard tho, it’s the Palin-messiah.

I think they’re both fools with no substance. Neither had the relevant experience, know how, or common sense for national office. I’m simply an equal opportunity basher. No free rides for Ms. I talk all folksy to try to connect with people(when Hillary used her phony accent, I badmouthed her too).

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Got here late…have the mission posters established the State Approved™ meme yet?

daesleeper on March 4, 2010 at 10:07 PM

shhhh I am trying to keep the riff raff hippie squatters out!

upinak on March 4, 2010 at 8:27 PM

ROFLOL. Then you’ll have to shut down the likes of Talkeetna Bluegrass Festival, or say the likes of Hippie Cove. Then where would the fun and eccentric folks go?

AH_C on March 4, 2010 at 10:12 PM

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 9:59 PM

No, that wasn’t the question. The question was what she used… “to stay informed and to understand the world”.

No answer was going to cut it. Any magazine she named would then be ridiculed as not enough, or not serious enough.

sharrukin on March 4, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Oh another night of the same boring stuff…Do the Axlerod checks come weekly, bimonthly, or monthly?

daesleeper on March 4, 2010 at 10:13 PM

daesleeper on March 4, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Seems to be centered on ‘She’s Stupid’ so far. Still waiting for ‘I can see Russia’ and ‘She wrote notes in her hand’…

BigWyo on March 4, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Only difference today is she has a professional speechwriter and refuses to let anyone but her adoring fans interview her.

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Just like Barry!

tbear44 on March 4, 2010 at 10:17 PM

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I keep wondering why Obama fans think that anyone who thinks she’s smart, who couldn’t be worse for the country than Obama, is somehow a complete simpleton.

portlandon on March 4, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Allah,
Did you just defend Palin? There’s hope for you yet.
I’ve defended her before and will do so again. I don’t criticize anyone just to criticize them.
Allahpundit on March 4, 2010 at 8:21 PM

“now for hits/comments, I’ll link to Frum, polls touting Huck, etc. 3-4 a night…”

you’ve defended her. Now back to your regularly scheduled critiques….

cs89 on March 4, 2010 at 10:33 PM

The more the left pushes against the exponential growth of their Palin fear, the stronger it becomes and the more they must seek to define the bogeyman, as if that somehow diminishes her power. They must contain her by giving her labels.

Every sighting, real or imagined, must be reported, analyzed, defined and countered. The arrogance of victory has given way to the knell of an approaching menace that wields a powerful talisman.

You better close your windows tight…

Jocundus on March 4, 2010 at 10:42 PM

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I keep wondering why nominal conservatives that supported Bush think that Palin is somehow a simpleton.

Was Bush worse for the country than Obama?

spmat on March 4, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I’m glad the record was set straight about the Oscar suite stuff. It’s really pathetic that the left feels the need to lie about Palin while she’s donating to a charity.

Good grief!

NebCon on March 4, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Couric, Like what ones specifically? I’m curious that you…

The question was reiterated three times…

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 9:59 PM

You even fail at counting to three. Sad, really.

alwaysfiredup on March 4, 2010 at 11:13 PM

alwaysfiredup on March 4, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Yeah, except I didn’t dictate all of that conversation. she went on and asked her to specify any magazine or newspaper, and Palin was simply at a loss for words to give a single example.

Couric gave her three chances to answer a simple question that anyone should have known would have gotten them hammered (you can’t answer a question as to what newspapers or magazines you read regularly?!) But, just as Palin stupidly wrote talking points on her hand, seemingly unaware that she’d take a beating on it, or that it would solidy in the minds of many that she’s sort of a bimbo, she just doesn’t get the image she portrays to all but her adoring fans.

I liked her at first, until every time she opened her mouth she made a fool of herself. Then I realized she was clueless and had no business as VP let alone anything higher. I voted for her and McCain as a lesser of two evils, so to speak, but I lost all respect for her when she quit her job (with the dumbest, lamest excuse EVER given), and she keeps making me dislike her with her naive and silly choices.

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Link?

alwaysfiredup on March 4, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Oooooooooo, SARAHCUDA

Metro on March 4, 2010 at 11:35 PM

TheBlueSite:Palin::oakland:AGW

daesleeper on March 4, 2010 at 11:38 PM

TheBlueSite, don’t worry. She isn’t going to run for anything. She wants to contribute to the defeat of Democrats and make some money while shes at it. Its funny how the Dims made her more partisan than she would have been if she had stayed Governor of Alaska in near obscurity.

Speedwagon82 on March 4, 2010 at 11:53 PM

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Do you really think anyone gives a crap about what you think?

Blake on March 4, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Seriously, I’m really sick of trolls. Trolls have psychological problems. Go work on your issues.

Blake on March 4, 2010 at 11:57 PM

OMG! The E Online Oscar suite “locust” story is a bunch of moose manure.

C4P has a statement from The Silver Spoon demanding retractions and apologies from the LSM. It turns out that Sarah was their guest and she dropped by to help raise money for Haiti and Chile.

Here’s the link: http://www.conservatives4palin.com/2010/03/melissa-lemer-corrects-record-regarding.html.

The LSM is determined to bring Sarah down even if it takes outright lies to do it. They are becoming truly unhinged as Obama goes down and takes the Dems with him!

sarahpalinfan99 on March 4, 2010 at 11:57 PM

LIES LIES LIES!!!!!

AP … the conveyor of Liberal Media Lies?

BUT HOT AIR IS NOT NEWSBUSTED!

TheAlamos on March 4, 2010 at 11:59 PM

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Yeah, she’s really gone downhill hasn’t she? I can’t believe she dares to even exist at this point.
s/

I can understand not liking her as a politician and you can disagree with her decisions, but the fact is that people come out and defend her in droves because none of the “palin scandals” has held any water. They hate her just for existing. So if you’re going to come here and bash her at least qualify it with something other than the “quitter” meme.

thevastlane on March 5, 2010 at 12:05 AM

thevastlane on March 5, 2010 at 12:05 AM

What substance do they ever come up with? It usually boils down to a childish dislike and a desperate scrambling for anything to attack her with.

I personally wish there were other choices out there in addition to Sarah Palin, but the vast majority of the GOP are gutless wonders.

sharrukin on March 5, 2010 at 12:08 AM

I can’t wait to see the documentary. I bet it is a BIG hit.

Blake on March 5, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Very simple to allocate the genesis of hate towards Palin…her steadfast belief in God. Same as the last Republican President. Am I the only one that notices this?

royzer on March 5, 2010 at 1:21 AM

If Palin’s irrelevance becomes any more irrelevant then she is going to be mighty irrelevant in her irrelevance.

Bishop on March 4, 2010 at 8:10 PM

With the large amount of media exposure that she has, the speed of her irrelevancy will be irrelevant.

Another word for irrelevancy is over saturation.

Too much media attention will result people tuning her out because they see her too much on television.

As a result of over saturation, people may not want to vote for her in 2012.

Conservative Samizdat on March 5, 2010 at 1:30 AM

As a result of over saturation, people may not want to vote for her in 2012.

Conservative Samizdat on March 5, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Sorry but not everyone is as obsessed with Sarah as you are. If anything, she’s under-exposed in the sense that she could be a lot more in your face daily if she wanted to do that.

2012 is not on her agenda. Yet. It’s 2010 that terrifies the loony leftards. (I know it’s redundant)

platypus on March 5, 2010 at 1:39 AM

platypus on March 5, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Actually, Sarah Palin is determined and uninterested in being directly and indirectly involved with the elections of 2010 or 2012. She would rather be a nothing/nobody influential person in campaigns.

daesleeper on March 5, 2010 at 1:55 AM

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Matter of opinion certainly. His bombastic pseudo-black theologian preaching voice is annoying to say the least.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 5, 2010 at 6:24 AM

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Funny, I saw that as impressive that she could give an impromptu speeech from just a few words on her hand.

Your lord and master needs a teleprompter to address sixth graders, yet you call Sarah dumb?

Abraham Lincoln allegedly wrote the Gettysburg Address on the back of an envelope and he was a Republican, I guess you think he was dumb too.

John Deaux on March 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Could you repeat that. In English this time.

MarkTheGreat on March 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I wasn’t aware that Oprah and Leno were counted amongst her “adoring” fans.

MarkTheGreat on March 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM

TheBlueSite on March 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Couric gave her three chances? She was barely staying on at CBS, and she’s better known for her sweater puppies than her hard-hitting journalism. I’m surprised she isn’t popping out of cakes and giving the weather.

For the record, Palin had written newspaper editorials long before she met The Perky One. “Lipstick on a pitbull” came from an editorial about Gov. Frank Murkowski that helped her defeat him in a primary. Think about that. Defeated an incumbent governor with ties to Alaskan politics going back to the state’s founding. Sarah Palin was just “valley trash” and went on become Alaska’s first woman Governor.

chunderroad on March 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM

What’s gotten into Juan Williams?

I think he has the hots for Mrs. P.

mechkiller_k on March 5, 2010 at 9:39 AM

It’s a shame, really. I’d’ve enjoyed watching a Sarah Palin reality show far more than I do the current Barrack O’Bama sit-com (the gags are just getting too damned repetitive).

Blacklake on March 5, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Err, make that Obama sit-com. Apologies to the Irish.

Blacklake on March 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM

platypus on March 5, 2010 at 1:39 AM

I’m not a Palinbot. I’m not obsessed with her. I think highly of Palin.

I’m a Romney fan. All I was saying that there is a possibility that Palin will become irrelevant because she is on television so much.

The idea that she’s uner-exposed is scary. I think she’s being over exposed on the media.

Conservative Samizdat on March 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Next entertaining lie:

Palin to star all-girl in re-make of “Deliverence“, with a twist.

She and her band of backwoods Appalachian Amazons hunt down and eliminate two clucking canoeloads of twit-ish Congressional fact-finders on a freebie “junket” down a river that they want to remove all the dams from, -which would put the bow-hunting babes’ family farms 200 feet under water.

A Harry Reid look-alike plays bango.

A frozen-faced, Pelosi-esque gargoyle has a mirror built into her paddle to check her eyebrows.

A posthumous Murtha double can float by in the backround of one scene dressed in a burnoose (for a little Abscam homage)

Title: “Deliverence II- You Betcha!”

Guaranteed gross of 1 billion!

profitsbeard on March 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM

What’s gotten into Juan Williams?

I think he has the hots for Mrs. P.
mechkiller_k on March 5, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Do I hear echoes of Jesse Jackson’s “love jones” for Jeanne Kirkpatrick? ;)

RD on March 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM