Breaking: Is John Roberts about to resign from the Supreme Court? Update: Drudge source: “News to me”; Update: Radar retracts

posted at 12:55 pm on March 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Update II: Radar retracted the story a few minutes ago:

RadarOnline.com has obtained new information that Justice Roberts will NOT resign. The justice will be staying on the bench.

Nice work, Radar.  Original post follows …

====

According to Radar Online, the next Supreme Court justice to step down won’t be John Paul Stevens or Ruth Bader Ginsburg after all.  Claiming an exclusive scoop from unnamed sources, they say that the next resignation will be that of conservative Chief Justice John Roberts — which would allow Barack Obama to significantly change the tenor of the nation’s top court:

John Roberts, Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, is seriously considering stepping down from the nation’s highest court for personal reasons, RadarOnline.com has learned exclusively.

Roberts, known for his conservative judicial philosophy, has served on the Supreme Court  since 2005, having been nominated by President George W. Bush after the death of former Chief William Rehnquist.

RadarOnline.com has been told that Roberts, 55, could announce his decision at any time.

If true, this would be nothing short of an apocalypse for conservatives.  George Bush appointed Roberts at the age of 50, which gave the Right some comfort in the probability that Roberts would remain on the job for at least a couple of decades.  An early retirement would mean a lost opportunity to maintain conservative consistency from the Supreme Court.

Until now, we had considered Obama’s potential SCOTUS appointments more or less as a push.  With Stevens approaching 90 and Ginsburg reportedly in poor health, Obama seemed to only have the opportunity to replace liberal justices with equally liberal appointments.  If Roberts steps down, it immediately changes the balance of the court.  It would take a conservative President years just to reset the balance to today’s status quo.

The question is whether Radar’s sourcing will hold up.  Conservatives will be praying that it won’t.   For Roberts to step down now, one would have to assume a very serious illness or family matter arose that absolutely would keep him from fulfilling his duties.  We’ll see shortly.

Update: Drudge has a quote from a court source that says, “This is not happening … It’s news to me.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

And once again the Lame-Stream Media has fallen for a practical joke without SOURCING THE DAMN STORY. I’m also looking at YOU, Fox News.

A$$hats.

Enoxo on March 4, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Why the long pull by the short hair exercise? Is traffic so low this morning that it was more imortant to get it out there first instead getting it out there correct? Blogger of the year, huh?

Americannodash on March 4, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Sheesh. Ya know, us old guys, our tickers don’t work so good. I’m glad I’ve got a defibrillator next to my desk, because I would have been extremely dead after reading that headline.

Pavel on March 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM

RADAR retracts just like that? What shameless liars!!!

Another distraction bites the dust.

conservative pilgrim on March 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Radar Online: Bacon No Longer Delicious

JKahn913 on March 4, 2010 at 1:38 PM

NOOOO!

July 10 on March 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM

BREAKING! Vice President Biden considering stepping down for personal reasons.

See how easy it is? Everyone can do it!

Enoxo on March 4, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Let me try.
BREAKING !! President Obama considering stepping down for family reasons.

runner on March 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Radar, whatever that is, retracted this story, without even needing prompting from Correcto the Alpaca, or whatever that is.

So Radar is a more conscientious news source than, say, Salon…

ChrisB on March 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Radar Online: Bacon No Longer Delicious

JKahn913 on March 4, 2010 at 1:38 PM

NOOOO!

July 10 on March 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Perfect!

kerrhome on March 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM

RADAR retracts just like that? What shameless liars!!!

Another distraction bites the dust.

conservative pilgrim on March 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Obama hit the hardest. He was jumping up and down in the Oval Office, ordered a bacon sandwich, and started smoking 15 cigarettes at once in celebration.

Enoxo on March 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM

BREAKING! Barack Hussein Obama has resigned and is returning to his native Kenya, citing homesickness.

wildcat84 on March 4, 2010 at 1:44 PM

GULP, glad that was started and finished while I was at lunch. That was a sure sign of the apocalypse.

Oink on March 4, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Enoxo on March 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Glad to see that at least he is moderating his drinking.

ChrisB on March 4, 2010 at 1:45 PM

That was just you.
crr6 on March 4, 2010 at 1:38 PM

LOL.
Man,crapette, that was a brutally clever comeback.
You must have invested reams of paper and countless hours on that response.
Attended the “Rubber-Glue” comedy institute, did we?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on March 4, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Let me try:

Breaking: Obama announces that America is a Judeo-Christian nation, the greatest nation in the world, and he will quit apologizing for her.

Awww. Forget it. Nobody would believe that…but i CAN dREAM, CAN’T i?

kingsjester on March 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Pavel on March 4, 2010 at 1:42 PMI sez:

“I would have been extremely dead . . . “

Kinda like being a little pregnant, eh?

Trochilus on March 4, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Heh,heh… i read that as “staying on the beach.” And immediately pictured him and Rangel taking time off together at a beach resort, sipping piña coladas.

Rude on March 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Well, FOX just dropped it like a hot rock. No mention of it since 4 commercial breaks ago…

bernzright777 on March 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Don’t scare me like that!

- The Cat

MirCat on March 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Ugh – This quickens the heart and shows just how devastatingly obvious it is that Elections Have Consequences!

JonPrichard on March 4, 2010 at 1:51 PM

bernzright777 on March 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Because they know they were stupidly punked. It’s just retarded they did not source the story before they ran it. If they had waited 20 minutes it would have been proven false.

I’m rather disappointed in them for it. Gave my father a heartattack and I had to calm him down.

Enoxo on March 4, 2010 at 1:52 PM

JonPrichard on March 4, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Because at any moment, a supreme court chief justice might suddenly resign! Oh, wait, that didn’t happen.

July 10 on March 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Enoxo on March 4, 2010 at 1:52 PM

agreed, hope Dad’s ok!

bernzright777 on March 4, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Radar retracts… well that’s good, I can step back from the ledge now?

Hog Wild on March 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Who was it who whispered this story into the ear of the news repeater who broadcast the story, and what was the intent? What did this activist hope to accomplish? Will this news repeater every trust that source again, or was the news repeater in on the deal? Or was the whole story just made up?

Skandia Recluse on March 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Now we have to ask ourselves what was the purpose of the White House “leaking” this.

SouthernGent on March 4, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Let’s see: Roberts is not a flake and he is under 90. So, why would anyone take this story seriously? Shame on the msm!

Blake on March 4, 2010 at 2:06 PM

BREAKING: Obama resigning. Cites embarassment over his purple lips.

13Girl on March 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM

BREAKING: Obama resigning. Cites embarassment over his purple lips.

13Girl on March 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Purple lips on black folks is caused from smoking. It’s true.

SouthernGent on March 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Purple lips on black folks is caused from smoking. It’s true.

SouthernGent on March 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Does it have anything to do with being heterozygous for sickle cell? Inefficient binding of oxygen by hemoglobin?

daesleeper on March 4, 2010 at 2:14 PM

OH MY GOD, I just had heavy pressure in my chest, don’t do that again!

Daemonocracy on March 4, 2010 at 2:17 PM

It’s the work of MSM Death Panels (TM) – killing off conservatives by news-induced cardiac arrest.

Fallen Sparrow on March 4, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I think RADAR should retire.

immigrantchick on March 4, 2010 at 2:20 PM

When I first saw this, I thought it was a huge LIE. Why would anyone EVER leave that job? It is the cushiest, best job for LIFE! Why would anyone give it up? You have clerks do a lot of your work, you have prestige and job security. I don’t see a single personal reason to leave this job, not even sickness because one can keep doing it, with help of clerks, for years even if sick or even if senile, like the lib judges are. I knew this was a fake story. Is RADAR a lib outfit, I bet it is and they are trying to cause trouble.

immigrantchick on March 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM

HOLY GOD! Don’t do that to me.

I can’t handle the loss of John Glover Roberts Jr so close to the lose of Tiger Woods.

Elizabetty on March 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I thought it was bogus, it reads like a liberal fantasy – day dream.

Dr Evil on March 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I can breath now. Don’t scare me!

RobCon on March 4, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Sounds like somebody’s fantasy got transmitted ten times and turned into a rumor.

rockmom on March 4, 2010 at 2:41 PM

“BREAKING: Hot Air is NOT an advocate for all things gay…”

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on March 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Inspired by the story of the kid directing traffic at JFK, Radar Online decides to let kids run their news department. Epic fail ensues…

nickj116 on March 4, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Pavel on March 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Age has nothing to do with it. I had to lay down after reading it, repeating in my head “It can’t be true, it’s not true”

Ingenue on March 4, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Thank goodness it’s not true. The Republic is saved! Well, it’s not destroyed, yet…

shooten on March 4, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Update: RadarOnline.com has obtained new information that Justice Roberts will NOT resign.

canopfor on March 4, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Damn … I almost had a heart attack when I read the headline. It’s just exactly these kinds of karmic kung fu kicks in the teeth we’ve become accustomed to having to deal with.

I’m STILL not comfortable – this will probably cause me a nightmare.

HondaV65 on March 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM

“RadarOnline.com has learned exclusively”

1. EXCLUSIVE means that no one else can back up the headline.
2. RadarOnline.com is such a renowned and reliable source.

This hoopla falls under the same fear mongering tactics that the RNC idiotic Powerpoint promotes.

maverick muse on March 4, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Well then.

That was fun.

MarkoMancuso on March 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM

“JAPANESE CAPTURE SAN FRANCISCO!!!”

Sorry, retract that.

MarkoMancuso on March 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I didn’t even need the 48-hour rule.

The 48-second test convinced me.

Edouard on March 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Barney Frank has resigned,and is spending
his retirement,

in his basement,details and video
on tonights Nightline!!(snark)

canopfor on March 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I’m still not comfortable – a few weeks ago there was a rumor the White House was looking around for SCotUS nominees to possibly replace multiple retiring justices.

Now we have this. And even though it was retracted I’m still not comfortable.

Roberts must be dealing with something in his personal life – and maybe it’s big.

My “spidey sense” is pegged – there something going on here. This isn’t the last of it.

HondaV65 on March 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Way to give a person a near heart attack. Apocalypse would be an understatement.

NoLeftTurn on March 4, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Not funny. That scared the P out of me. I’d like to take a shot at a headline, since it seems anyone can do it.

Obama caught with Oprah and Harpo in Chicago 3-way love nest!

Wow that was fun.

smellthecoffee on March 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Oh no, wait–that was too tame. Here’s a real shocker.

Reuters: February jobless numbers drop again, as expected.

smellthecoffee on March 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM

BREAKING: FORMER PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH HAS BEEN ARRESTED FOR WAR CRIMES AT HIS HOME IN PRESTONWOOD. THE FORMER PRESIDENT DID NOT PUT UP RESISTANCE TO AUTHORITIES AND WILL BE TAKEN TO AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION SELECTED BY THE UNITED NATIONS.

SOURCE: People magazine online

Towash on March 4, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Where does Radar get their information from, the bottom of a Cracker Jack box?!?

God almighty, I could push out better news than that and I’ve only been blogging for a year.

Ryan Anthony on March 4, 2010 at 3:09 PM

That would have been the end of the Republic…and I don’t think that’s an exaggeration.

Jim-Rose on March 4, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Now we have this. And even though it was retracted I’m still not comfortable.

HondaV65 on March 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Me thinks it’s Ginsburg. She’s not doing so well.

NickelAndDime on March 4, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Dude, thank goodness this was solved before I got back from lunch, or I would have been banz0red for the rant I didn’t have to do.

Sekhmet on March 4, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Whew! Now this administration can continue to destroy our republic at a much slower rate.

DrAllecon on March 4, 2010 at 3:34 PM

An evil plot to kill of conservatives by giving them heart attacks?

Buy Danish on March 4, 2010 at 3:40 PM

An evil plot to kill of conservatives by giving them heart attacks?

Buy Danish on March 4, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Damn near worked on me.

angryed on March 4, 2010 at 3:49 PM

This just in:

According to my unnamed source: OBAMA RESIGNING!

Reading me this brought such comfort, I think I might embroider it on a pillow. Oh that it were true…

citrus on March 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Someone at Radar owes me a pacemaker.

TN Mom on March 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Jim-Rose on March 4, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Indeed it would have been. My heart sank with the original story. The damage Obama is doing is bad enough without him stacking it with justices who think the Constitution is merely a friendly suggestion.

Thank God it’s bogus.

Yakko77 on March 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Whew! I was getting ready to run to the hills!

NTWR on March 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Do you want to give us old folks heart attacks? Fortunately I didn’t see this until after the updates.

burt on March 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Some body anybody needs to MAKE DAMN SURE OF SOME THING LIKE THIS BEFORE THEY SHOOT THERE DAMN MOUTH OFF.

thmcbb on March 4, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Alito: THAT’S NOT TRUE!!!

Steve Z on March 4, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Wishful thinking by the Dems.

hawksruleva on March 4, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Steve Z on March 4, 2010 at 4:39 PM

lol

maverick muse on March 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Whenever I want to know what’s going on st the Supreme Court I go right to Radar on Line.

WTF?!

It’s not what you know. It’s what you’re willing to say.

TheBigOldDog on March 4, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Let this be a reminder that most of the LSM is not trustworthy.

Next time there is a POTUS election, do NOT let the LSM choose your candidates. Caveat Emptor!

sarahpalinfan99 on March 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Here’s the story of what happened if you’re interested. Probably a cute idea (I guess) if 100% of the class isn’t on Gchat and Facebook during the lecture, but…technology being what it is…ugh.

No surprise coming from GeorgeTTTown though.

Proud Rino on March 4, 2010 at 5:17 PM

suckers.

So what REALLY went on today?

rayra on March 4, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Things like this are why I stopped reading RadarOnline and started reading the much more reliable GaydarOnline.

Joe Caps on March 4, 2010 at 5:24 PM

This just in:

According to my unhinged source:

DOODLES CREATED BY JOE BIDEN AT CABINET MEETINGS TO BE PUBLISHED IN COFFEE TABLE BOOK!

ya2daup on March 4, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Smells like Chicago thug politics to me.

Zorro on March 4, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Enoxo on March 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM

While knocking back three pints of Hennesy.

I know…RACIST!

M-14 2go on March 4, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Now we have this. And even though it was retracted I’m still not comfortable.

HondaV65 on March 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Maybe it’s the Chicago way, “Nice family, it’d be a shame to see anything happen to them”.

Nothing would surprise me anymore, they’re starting to eat their own, Rangell is an angel, Patterson is the devil, he must go. While Patterson appears to be a crook, it also appears that they are piling on because the Won told him to step aside. As Beck said tonight, Rangell has been there for 40 years, he knows where the bodies are buried.

I hope that all is well with Justice Roberts, and his family. Then again, I wish that for all Justices, Congress, and our President, I just wish most of them out of office.

M-14 2go on March 4, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Good going, RadarOnline…

Twenty million Dems just soiled their pants for nothing…

seanrobins on March 4, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Thank God I had some aspirin handy to chew on!

JeffVader on March 4, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Liberal orgasms are indignant.

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2010 at 8:30 PM

BREAKING William Delahunt will not seek re-election in MA 10th District. http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2010/03/delahunt_will_n.html

Dasher on March 4, 2010 at 8:31 PM

“Hi I’m Bill Burkett, secret source for CBS news … ”

This story is fake but accurate.

father on March 4, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I’m student at Georgetown Law. Here’s how it got started:

Just another object lesson gone wrong.

Iceman on March 4, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Please, Justice Roberts, if you love this country, hold out for at least as long as Obama remains in office….if he is allowed to appoint another judge, we have no hope…..

theaddora on March 5, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Now watch how difficult the left makes Chief Justice Roberts life, hoping he will actually choose to retire vice facing the level of slander and innuendo the left is famous.

MSGTAS on March 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Apocalypse.

Fashionably late, but not forgotten! Hi. Psssst, don’t click the exclamation mark, OK? Thanks. Apacalyps flies away. Bye bye. OOo look, butterflies!

apacalyps on March 5, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Radar O’Reilly must’ve been hearing things.

/choppers