Romney: Beware the “temptations of populism”

posted at 4:12 pm on March 2, 2010 by Allahpundit

In a vacuum there’s nothing newsy about this, but 2012 isn’t a vacuum. We’ve talked before about the developing narrative: Palin vs. anti-Palin, “true conservatives” vs. centrists, blue-collar vs. white-collar, and … populists vs. “elitists.” With Beck having brought down the house at CPAC and the GOP in the grip of tea party fee-vah, why oh why would a potential nominee spritz cold water on populism?

Branding, dear boy, branding:

As Mitt Romney sets out this week to promote his new book, “No Apology,’’ he is also auditioning for a rapidly disappearing role in American politics: a politician who is speaking out against the “temptations of populism.’’

“The populism I’m referring to is, if you will, demonizing certain members of society: going after businesspeople, going after Wall Street, going after people who are highly educated, people who are CEOs,’’ Romney said in an interview. “That kind of ‘All of our problems are due to that group’ is something that is unproductive.’’…

“Populism sometimes takes the form of being anti-immigrant, and appearing anti-immigrant, and that likewise is destructive to a nation which has built its economy through the innovation and hard work and creativity of people who have come here from foreign shores,’’ Romney said.

“Anti-immigrant” or anti-illegal-immigrant? Ah well. Some of this is pure defense, of course — the GOP’s most famous CEO has an obvious interest in stamping out antipathy to big business — but it’s also his way of sending up an early flare for centrists that if they’re looking for an alternative to the “true conservatives,” they need look no further. Not convinced? More from the Globe:

Romney’s book is notable for its silences. The 2008 candidate who worked hard to convince religious conservatives of their shared passion for social issues devotes just two cursory paragraphs to abortion, makes only incidental reference to gun rights, and refers to gay marriage in the most cryptic terms possible. His “case for American greatness,’’ as his book’s subtitle puts it, has little to do with morality.

Translation: This ain’t your daddy’s Mitt Romney. (Or, rather, your slightly older brother’s.) Still not convinced? Well, when he was asked today on “The View” who he thought might be a formidable candidate in 2012, he singled out Bob McDonnell, who won the governor’s seat in Virginia last year by running a sort of proto-Romney campaign — socially conservative, yes, but verrry quiet about it compared to his meat-and-potatoes rhetoric about jobs. That’ll be the upshot of Mitt ’12 too, the “non-ideological conservative” versus whoever emerges as the ideological darling. It’s Palin’s slot if she wants it…

Here’s Romney this morning on “Today” doing the smart thing and standing by RomneyCare while hammering The One for trying to nationalize the problem. Flip-flopping on this issue will do him more harm than good given perceptions about his opportunism, but then we’ve discussed that before too. Exit question: How big is Palin’s lead over Mitt among tea partiers? The answer may surprise you.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

What exactly is it you want him to do?

Buy Danish on March 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Make an endorsement before 5 other people have would be a good start.

MarkTheGreat on March 3, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Its all meaningless, non Mormon Christians won’t vote for him.

Speakup on March 2, 2010 at 7:37 PM

That’s a load of BS.

MarkTheGreat on March 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM

It’s true- the populists are a bunch of slogan wielding simpletons who couldn’t find their way out of a paper bag. It’s a complex world and the populists or their leader Palin don’t know how to deal with the complex and quickly changing world of today other than to point fingers at other Americans. The decline of the US as an economic power is unfortunately underway and you either understand the challenges and adapt or slide into irrelevance.

bayam on March 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM

He is simply another DC type robot guy. Change your politics with the weather. I get NO sense of authenticity from him at all and would never vote for him.

AnninCA on March 3, 2010 at 12:01 PM

If the GOP runs SATAN against Obama in 2012 I’d have to give the Devil a 2nd look….

PappyD61 on March 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM

After ObamaCare if we turn to RomneyCare, Republicans will not get my vote. Grassroots better start finding a different way to fund candidates than the GOP.

Sultry Beauty on March 3, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Perhaps because it says something about the kind of people who would support and defend such a program.

MarkTheGreat on March 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Yeah, It says alot about these supporters in that they understand conservative and constitutional principles of state rights, federalism and private sector being the solution to the problem rather than the government.

I think those who attack Romney’s health care plan are amazingly ignorant of Mitt Romney’s plan or and have no clue about the fundamental principles of conservatives or how the Constitution works.

Conservative Samizdat on March 3, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Mitt Romney is another guy who’s purposely straddling the fence with the euphemism of choice: Moderates, Centrists, Independents, Progressives or just plain Liberals. Does Romney want to be Conservative? Liberal? Fred Flintstone? He doesn’t even know. To be fair, Sarah Palin can’t even clarify her positions. Romney’s talking about immigration. Where does Sarah Palin stand on this issue? I don’t know? Anyway Romney won’t get my vote.

Humphrey007 on March 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Humphrey007 on March 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Rommey IS a conservative. But anyone who pays close attention to elections know that you have to go beyond your conservative base and work towards the Moderates, Centrists and Independents to win an election.

Conservative Samizdat on March 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Conservative Samizdat on March 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Yeah that worked out great in ’08 ! Oh wait ……

cableguy615 on March 3, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I’m going to Mitt’s no Apology book signing, I would encourage you all to do the same.

scotash on March 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Haha gotta laugh at this Mitt vs. Palin narrative Allah cooked up. You mean the Palin that got 6% at CPAC and virtually shot any campaign for public office in the foot with her resignation (although I understand why she did it and agree with her decision)?

Also the fact that there is a bitter argument here if Mitt is a true conservative or not pretty much confirms that he isn’t. True conservatives are exactly that: true conservatives. You don’t have to hide and explain away their positions. People like Palin (except for that bailout support, oops!), Ron Paul and Jim DeMint.

alteredbeat on March 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM

You people here on Hot Air do realize that Romney by saying “Beware the temptations of Populism” is putting Sarah Palin down big time We all know she is a populist, and probably his biggest rival, so why else would he be talking about populism???

VFT on March 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM

conservative samizdat

How about a novel idea..Romney runs as he really is instead of making up different positions….social conservative, moderate, liberal moderate. That’s why people don’t like him because we can’t figure out which person he really is!!

VFT on March 3, 2010 at 11:37 PM

I think Romney’s remark about populism is just another example of why this is one loser candidate.

Even Obama tried to portray himself as the populist. LOL*

OK, so Romney represents the country club republicans.

We get it. No thanks.

AnninCA on March 4, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Saving Olympic in Salt Lake City: BRILLIANT

Politician: MORON

Helloyawl on March 4, 2010 at 12:35 PM

VFT on March 3, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Why don’t you read his recently released book and find out what kind of person he is.

I’m about 80% done with his book. Romney explains who he is, why he believes what he believes and how he arrived at his decisions based on the facts that were presented to him.

VFT on March 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Even Obama tried to portray himself as the populist. LOL*

AnninCA on March 4, 2010 at 10:32 AM

So Palin is a populist and Obama was a populist.

Both of you said it.

I’ll leave it between you two to debate whether Palin’s populism is the same as Obama’s populism and whether or not electing someone to be President based on populist appeal is a good idea…

Conservative Samizdat on March 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Allah has never liked Mitt, so I do not take a whole lot of stock in the way he skews what is Mitt is saying…”going after businesspeople, going after Wall Street, going after people who are highly educated, people who are CEOs” Mitt is speaking to Obama’s elitism and the way he is taking control of everything American. Mitt’s position on abortion has always been the same…no abortion except in the danger of the mother’s life, rape, or incest…from all that I have read on his statements.

g2825m on March 4, 2010 at 1:24 PM

g2825m on March 4, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Well… not exactly.

During a debate, Romney declared: ‘I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I have since the time that my mom took that position when she ran in 1970 as a US Senate candidate. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it.’ ”

“Every decision I have made as Governor in a very liberal state has been on the side of favoring life.” – Governor Romney

But hey, with Romney just wait a few days and he is sure to say something you agree with… sort of the Multi-spectrum candidate!

sharrukin on March 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM

He is saying that he will uphold the law that is in place as MA Governor. Personally he does not believe in abortion except for the instances that I mentioned. Hence Romney stating every decision HE has had to make was on the side of life but the law of the land he has to uphold. Also this will surprise you possibly, Sen Harry Reid also has the same stance as he is LDS as well and takes that position of life personally, but the party line is the party line for Sen Reid.

g2825m on March 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM

g2825m on March 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM

He was attending Brigham Young University in 1970, NOT running for political office.

‘I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I have since the time that my mom took that position when she ran in 1970 as a US Senate candidate.’

In Michigan in 1970, performing or securing an abortion was a felony. Lenore Romney had a different view…

I support and recognize the need for more liberal abortion rights while reaffirming the legal and medical measures needed to protect the unborn and pregnant woman [sic].” She also endorsed “greatly expanded programs of providing adequate family planning services to all those who want but can’t afford them,” adding that “I would oppose any governmental coercion of parents.”

sharrukin on March 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM

sharrukin on March 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM

It looks like you were pulling information from a site or somewhere.

When you do that…its a smart idea to link the source.

Conservative Samizdat on March 4, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Conservative Samizdat on March 4, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Its all over the place if anyone cares to look. This for example is from Redstate, but can be found elsewhere. I mean its his bloody speech.

He said it! How exactly do you deny the source when Mitt Romney is the source?

Was Mitt lying about Mitt?… well OK, maybe you have a point there!

“I respect and will fully protect a woman’s right to choose. That choice is a deeply personal one, and the women of our state should make it based on their beliefs, not mine and not the government’s.”
-Mitt Romney in a 2002 GOP acceptance speech

sharrukin on March 4, 2010 at 2:11 PM

sharrukin, I was stating what his beliefs were during his campaign during the ’94 campaign and since…I think we’ve all changed our minds about certain views since we were all 18-24 years old.
Mitt is an excellent candidate and one that is greatly needed at this time as we would not be in this mess currently if we would have made a more correct choice in 2008. Actually it was our votes in 2006, or lack thereof, and those that decided to “punish” the Republican Party in 2006 by staying home that we are paying the price today. I will vote for Romney, Palin, Jindal, Pawlenty and think hard but eventually vote Huckabee before I’d allow Obama a second term!

g2825m on March 4, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Key point: Make sure we all vote conservative this November!
Good night from Baghdad!!

g2825m on March 4, 2010 at 2:18 PM

g2825m on March 4, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I understand that people can change their views, but Mitt Romney changes ALL of his views based on what he thinks people want to hear. It isn’t just a few things, it is just about everything.

sharrukin on March 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I can’t help noticing that many of you want to vote for a True conservative in 2012. Since truth shouldn’t be subjective, I’m sure that if all of you were to write a definition of true conservatism, they would be identical, right?

Haldol on March 4, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I guess that Hot Air has become the “I Hate Mitt” headquarters since I took a break from it.

Hawthorne on March 4, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Hawthorne on March 4, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Which version of Mitt do you mean? I like v 2.5 but others like a more moderate v 2.0. I do wonder what the new model Mitt for 2012 will be like!

sharrukin on March 4, 2010 at 6:44 PM

sharrukin,

Is that a comparison as juxtaposed by Sarah Palin giving benefits to gay partners of state employees? There are stones to cast at all of the candidates. The only question is whether we hand the ammunition to the Dems that they need to splinter our party or not. Personally, I am voting ABO (Anybody But Obama).

Hawthorne on March 4, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Hawthorne on March 4, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I have a LOT more respect for the MSM’s willing to go through Republican garbage cans than you do. They have done so with Sarah Palin and she has emerged from that with very few scandals.

I do not believe that Romney would survive what she has. He is too vulnerable on too many fronts. He has adopted too many positions on too many different occasions. He will face what John Kerry faced without a friendly media to carry water and cover things up for him.

This will of course take place AFTER he gets the nomination, and I think he will get the nomination.

They did this to John McCain, playing friendly and then turning into a jackal mob after the nomination was sealed.

You think I am being mean? You haven’t seen anything yet!

sharrukin on March 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM

He said it! How exactly do you deny the source when Mitt Romney is the source?

Was Mitt lying about Mitt?… well OK, maybe you have a point there!

My point isn’t whether Mitt said it or not.

My point its if you’re quoting heavily from something…its a good idea to link it so people can see the facts themselves.

It doesn’t matter if the info is available for anyone to find. If you’re quoting from a website or the speech is on a website…cite it.

How hard is this concept for you to grasp!?

Conservative Samizdat on March 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM

How hard is this concept for you to grasp!?

Conservative Samizdat on March 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Not hard. Nor is it very difficult to understand your motives in that regard either. You would rather engage in attacking the messenger than actually deal with the substance of what was said!

That kinda says all that needs to be said about your own awareness of who Romney really is, and your own doubts as to his truthfulness.

If you have to resort to those sorts of tactics to defend your guy, maybe you should reconsider and try to find someone worth defending!

sharrukin on March 4, 2010 at 9:30 PM

sharrukin on March 4, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I’m not attacking you or nor defending you.

It could be about any subject matter. We could be talking about the mating habits of Zebras and you cut and paste from a website and not cite it…I’m gonna jump on you for not citing your source.

Its that simple.

Conservative Samizdat on March 4, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I’m gonna jump on you for not citing your source.

Its that simple.

Conservative Samizdat on March 4, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I already told you the source is Redstate.

As well as this.

And this.

Jump away sparky!

sharrukin on March 5, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Thank you.

See…citing wasn’t that hard, now was it?

Conservative Samizdat on March 5, 2010 at 12:12 AM

See…citing wasn’t that hard, now was it?

Conservative Samizdat on March 5, 2010 at 12:12 AM

You already know exactly what the source is. Mitt Romney!

sharrukin on March 5, 2010 at 12:15 AM

You already know exactly what the source is. Mitt Romney!

sharrukin on March 5, 2010 at 12:15 AM

No, the site could have come from an anti-Romney site or a Pro-Romney site. People can edit things to distort quotes to make people appear as they want them to be.

That’s why you cite. So you give people the opportunity to evaluate the evidence themselves and determine the bias of the source you’re citing.

Conservative Samizdat on March 5, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Conservative Samizdat on March 5, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Can I ask an question? Do you really want to know?

I research possible candidates and have a lot on Romney.

Do you want me to post it so you can look into it?

sharrukin on March 5, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Yeah, please do.

Conservative Samizdat on March 5, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Yeah, please do.

Conservative Samizdat on March 5, 2010 at 1:25 AM

I understand that you support him, but I just think he is too vulnerable to be credible.

This doesn’t even include RomneyCare which will take the wind out of any criticism he may have of ObamaCare.

“Well, it [TARP] was the right thing to do. You know, I remember talking to Senator McCain — and he was in the middle of a presidential campaign — he said “Look, it is very bad politics to be for TARP. On the other hand, it’s the right thing for the country.”

Secretary Paulson’s TARP prevented a systemic collapse of the national financial system. Secretary Geithner’s TARP became an opaque, heavy-handed, expensive slush fund. It should be shut down. ~Mitt Romney

assault weapons ban

“He [Romney] is a supporter of the federal assault weapons ban.”
- Romney 2002 campaign website

“That’s not going to make me the hero of the NRA,” Romney told the Boston Herald in 1994.

At another campaign stop that year, he told reporters: “I don’t line up with the NRA.”
- Boston Globe, January 14, 2007

“Americans should have the right to own and possess firearms as guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution,” said Governor Romney. “I’m proud to be among the many decent, law-abiding men and women who safely use firearms.”
- Governor Romney, News Release, January 12, 2007

“The minimum wage is important to our economy and Mitt Romney supports minimum wage increase, at least in line with inflation.”
- Romney 2002 campaign website

Governor Mitt Romney yesterday rejected the Legislature’s plan to raise the state minimum wage to $8 an hour over two years, angering Democratic lawmakers and advocates who accused him of abandoning a 2002 campaign pledge to significantly boost the pay of low-wage workers.
- Boston Globe, July 22, 2006

In a November 2005 interview with the Boston Globe, Romney described immigration proposals by McCain and others as “quite different” from amnesty, because they required illegal immigrants to register with the government, work for years, pay taxes, not take public benefits, and pay a fine before applying for citizenship.

“That’s very different than amnesty, where you literally say, ‘OK, everybody here gets to stay,’ ” Romney said in the interview. “It’s saying you could work your way into becoming a legal resident of the country by working here without taking benefits and then applying and then paying a fine.”

Romney also said in the interview that it was not “practical or economic for the country” to deport the estimated 12 million immigrants living in the US illegally. “These people contribute in many cases to our economy and to our society,” he said. “In some cases, they do not. But that’s a whole group we’re going to have to determine how to deal with.”
- Boston Globe, March 16, 2007

In his appeals to conservative voters, Romney has made the Arizona senator’s work on immigration one of his favorite targets. When McCain and other senators unveiled the latest reform bill two weeks ago, Romney called it the “wrong approach” and immediately launched a television ad slamming “amnesty” for illegal immigrants.
- Boston Globe, June 1, 2007

Romney didn’t support President Bush’s tax cuts in 2003. That earned him praise from liberal Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA)
- Boston Globe, April 11, 2003.

In 2002, Romney broke with his predecessor, Jane Swift, and Republican governors before her by declining to sign a written vow not to raise taxes once in office.

- Boston Globe, January 5, 2007

Almost five years after he refused to sign a “no new taxes” pledge during his campaign for governor, Mitt Romney announced yesterday that he had done just that, as his campaign for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination began in earnest.
- Boston Globe, January 5, 2007

Planned Parenthood gave to the gubernatorial candidates in 2002, Romney answered ”yes” to the question, ‘Do you support the substance of the Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade?’

“In seeking the support of the Log Cabin Republican Club, Romney wrote them a letter promising that ‘as we seek to establish full equality for America’s gay and lesbian citizens, I will provide more effective leadership than my opponent.’ ” 1994

# “[Romney] did, however, pledge to support the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which would ban job discrimination based on sexual orientation, and other civil rights protections for gays in the areas of housing and credit. He also promised to bring the initiatives begun in Massachusetts to protect gay and lesbian youth to the federal level.”
- Bay Windows, 3/28/2002

“There will be children born to same-sex couples, and adopted by same-sax couples, and I believe that there should be rights and privileges associated with those unions and with the children that are part of those unions.” On another occasion, his spokesman “declined to state Romney’s position on whether homosexual couples should be allowed to adopt, and declined to say whether the governor opposes gay adoptions.”
- State House press conference, 6/15/2005
- Boston Globe, 3/2/2006

Romney stated, “I feel that all people should be allowed to participate in the Boy Scouts regardless of their sexual orientation.” In the same article, a BSA official criticized Romney for opposing Scout policy.
- Boston Globe, 10/27/1994

More recently Romney proposed allocating $250,000 for the Governor’s Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth for fiscal year 2006, twice what he proposed for FY05. The Legislature ultimately funded the commission at $250,000 for FY05, so Romney’s proposal for next year amounts to level funding, and the proposal is still a far cry from $1.6 million the commission received in the mid-’90s before the state budget crisis. Yet as commission co-chair Kathleen Henry said, Romney could just as easily have dissolved the program. “We serve completely at the will of the governor,” said Henry.
- Bay Windows 3/3/2005

Twice after the Legislature approved funding for the Commission, Romney then appeased pro-family activists by vetoing it! However, since there are not enough Republicans to sustain vetoes, a veto is largely a charade.

* When Romney was running against Sen. Ted Kennedy, Bay Windows asked him how he would have voted on an amendment to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act that would ban federal funds from public schools which are “encouraging or supporting homosexuality as a positive lifestyle alternative.” He answered:

“I would have opposed that amendment. I don’t think the federal government has any business dictating to local school boards what their curriculum or practices should be. I think that’s a dangerous precedent in general. I would have opposed that. It also grossly misunderstands the gay community by insinuating that there’s an attempt to proselytize a gay lifestyle on the part of the gay community. I think it’s wrong-headed and unfortunate and hurts the party by being identified with the Republican party.”
– Bay Windows, 8/25/1994

Lopez: “And what about the 1994 letter to the Log Cabin Republicans where you indicated you would support the Federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) and seemed open to changing the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy in the military? Are those your positions today?

Gov. Romney: “No. I don’t see the need for new or special legislation. My experience over the past several years as governor has convinced me that ENDA would be an overly broad law that would open a litigation floodgate and unfairly penalize employers at the hands of activist judges…As for military policy and the ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy, I trust the counsel of those in uniform who have set these policies over a dozen years ago. I agree with President Bush’s decision to maintain this policy and I would do the same.”
- Interview with National Review, December 14, 2006

In 2002, before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court declared same-sex marriage protected by the Constitution, Romney denounced as “too extreme” the effort by pro-family groups to enact a preemptive state Marriage Protection Amendment prohibiting homosexual marriage, civil unions and same-sex public employee benefits.
- Boston Phoenix, May 14-20, 2004

MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough: “Do you support a national constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage?”

Governor Romney: “Boy, I sure do. You know, that’s a topic that’s really, I think, very important to the country because marriage is not just about adults.

“One issue I want to clarify concerns President Clinton’s “don’t ask, don’t tell, don’t pursue” military policy. I believe that the Clinton compromise was a step in the right direction. I am also convinced that it is the first of a number of steps that will ultimately lead to gays and lesbians being able to serve openly and honestly in our nation’s military. That goal will only be reached when preventing discrimination against gays and lesbians is a mainstream concern, which is a goal we share.”
Sincerely, W. Mitt Romney

“Romney arrived on the scene with great promise, but is leaving the Republican Party here in shambles. Not only are the Republicans yielding the governor’s office for the first time in 16 years, but registered Republicans have fallen by 31,000 since Romney took office, and their legislative presence is at historic lows. But it worked out fine for him: He is now chasing the prize he really covets, the presidency.”
- Boston Globe 11/8/2006

“The Massachusetts Republican Party died last Tuesday. The cause of death: failed leadership. The party is survived by a few leftover legislators and a handful of county officials and grassroots activists who have been ignored for years. Services will be public and a mass exodus of taxpayers will follow. In lieu of flowers, send messages to New Hampshire Republican voters warning them about a certain presidential candidate named Romney.”
- Boston Herald, 11/12/2006

“At a campaign appearance at Brandeis University in June 2002, Romney strongly endorsed stem cell research.”
- Boston Globe, December 17, 2006

“I studied the issue for many months, and entered into conversation with experts from across the nation who were looking for consensus solutions, like Stanford’s Dr. William Hurlbut. In the end, I became persuaded that the stem-cell debate was grounded in a false premise, and that the way through it was around it: by the use of scientific techniques that could produce the equivalent of embryonic stem cells but without cloning, creating, harming, or destroying developing human lives.”
- Governor Mitt Romney, Op-Ed, “A Stem-Cell Solution,” National Review Online, June 15, 2007

“When he ran for governor in 2002, Romney said he supported expanding access to the emergency contraception pill, a high dose of hormones that women can take to prevent pregnancy up to five days after sex . . . On a questionnaire Planned Parenthood gave to the gubernatorial candidates in 2002, Romney answered ‘yes’ to the question, ‘Do you support efforts to increase access to emergency contraception?’ ”
- Boston Globe, July 7, 2005

“Yesterday I vetoed a bill that the Legislature forwarded to my desk. Though described by its sponsors as a measure relating to contraception, there is more to it than that. The bill does not involve only the prevention of conception: The drug it authorizes would also terminate life after conception.”
- Governor Mitt Romney, Op-Ed, “Why I Vetoed The Contraception Bill,” Boston Globe, July 26, 2005

“Our analysis reveals a weak comparative economic performance of the state over the Romney years, one of the worst in the country,” the researchers wrote in the Boston Globe. Specifically, they found:

* As U.S. real output grew 13 percent between 2002 and 2006, Massachusetts trailed at 9 percent.

* Manufacturing employment fell 7 percent nationwide those years, but sank 14 percent under Romney, placing Massachusetts 48th among the states.

* Between fall 2003 and autumn 2006, U.S. job growth averaged 5.4 percent, nearly three times Massachusetts’ anemic 1.9 percent pace.

* While 8 million Americans over age 16 found work between 2002 and 2006, the number of employed Massachusetts residents actually declined by 8,500 during those years.

“Massachusetts was the only state to have failed to post any gain in its pool of employed residents,” professors Sum and McLaughlin concluded.

Between July 2002 and July 2006, the US Census Bureau estimated that 222,000 more residents left Massachusetts for other states than came here to live. This high level of net domestic out-migration was equivalent to 3.5 percent of the state’s population, the third highest rate of population loss in the country.

sharrukin on March 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Wow. That’s a lot. Where did you get the info from? ;)

Conservative Samizdat on March 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Wow. That’s a lot. Where did you get the info from? ;)

Conservative Samizdat on March 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Various sources. RedState for some, FreeRepublic, LogCabin (gay) Republicans who I guess supported Romney and now don’t, or something. Others I don’t remember.

I just did a google search for Romney speeches and followed links all over the place.

sharrukin on March 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM