Uh oh: Biden might have power to kill GOP’s tactics against reconciliation

posted at 5:27 pm on March 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

It’s a testament to how arcane a procedure reconciliation is that we haven’t heard this before. Remember, if Obama and Reid go nuclear in the Senate, that’s not the end of the story: The GOP can still try to block the progress of the bill, either by challenging the individual provisions on parliamentary grounds — in theory, only parts that are related to the budget can be passed via reconciliation — or by proposing an endless numbers of amendments to stop the process in its tracks. Keith Hennessey wrote about the latter strategy this morning:

Senate floor debate on a reconciliation bill is limited to 20 hours. There is no limit on amendments that can be offered. This means that, after two full days of debate and amendments, twenty hours will have expired. Any amendments which are queued up (or are then offered) are then voted on, in sequence, with no debate (in theory)…

A well-disciplined Senate majority party can defeat every amendment with a simple majority by simply voting to table (kill) each amendment. This has a slightly different procedural and political feel than defeating the amendment but the same practical effect. Still, the minority can often use the vote-a-rama to force members of the majority party to take politically tough votes. I would expect vulnerable Senate Democrats to be looking to vote with Republicans on some of these votes to avoid political risks for their campaign. This should not be too big of a challenge for Leader Reid, since he needs to hold only 50 of 59 for each tabling vote. He can allow vulnerable individual Democrats to take a walk on particularly difficult amendments.

The novel twist this time would be the possibility of a Senate Republican filibuster by amendment during the vote-a-rama. Even a single Republican could, in theory, offer an infinite sequence of amendments to each word of the bill, never allowing Leader Reid to get to final passage.

The burning question: Is there some way Reid can shut them down? According to Norman Ornstein of AEI, yes. They could … ask Joe Biden to do it:

“The vice president can rule that amendments are dilatory,” Norm Ornstein, a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and one of the foremost experts on congressional process, told the Huffington Post. “That they are not serious attempts to amend the bill but are designed without substance to obstruct. He can rule them out of order and he can do that on bloc.”

“There are time limits,” Ornstein added. “It is not that they can keep doing it over and over again.”

As Ornstein added, there are potential downsides to the vice president wielding any of these two institutional powers. For starters, it further politicizes a process that is already being criticized as overly political. Moreover, it could spur serious discussion of whether the Obama administration is engaged in an institutional power grab and/or upheaval of Congress.

The veep presides over the Senate so the veep has the final say; even the Senate parliamentarian, the de facto authority on whether any given provision of the bill qualifies as “budgetary” or not, merely advises Biden on his final ruling. If they’re willing to game the process and abuse reconciliation to pass the bill, why wouldn’t Slow Joe be willing to overrule the parliamentarian and let them pass whichever provisions they want? It’s a microcosm of the entire ObamaCare process thus far: The public’s already disgusted with the substance and procedure of what’s going on, so why shouldn’t the Dems let them feel a tiny bit more disgusted in order en route to getting this thing passed? It’s kamikaze time, remember?

Also via HuffPo, here’s 90 seconds of former parliamentarian Robert Dove assuring MSNBC this morning that, yes indeed, Biden is the ultimate referee here. What could go wrong?

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Did I see somewhere that this all has to be finished by April something or the opportunity to reconcile is over?

It’s only a month until April.

petunia on March 1, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I’m confused. So the veep only has power in the Senate, if they’re a Dem?

/sarc

cs89 on March 1, 2010 at 6:26 PM

AW1 Tim on March 1, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I intended to include a link to the current turmoil in Turkey.
It seems that the current civilian government, thought to be somewhat sympathetic to Islam, appears to be purging military leaders suspected of a more secular viewpoint.

I do not discount anything Obama might do simply because it might appear to be improbable.

Skandia Recluse on March 1, 2010 at 6:26 PM

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

you’ll repeat it, but not link it?

Yeah right. I think the operative phrase is “put up or shut up.”

cs89 on March 1, 2010 at 6:29 PM

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

There is no charity in your universe. There is nothing like that in your world view because you empower government to take from those who have too much, to give to those who have too little.

And you try to make the rest of us feel guilty because someone somewhere has less.

Skandia Recluse on March 1, 2010 at 6:29 PM

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

How the heck does this go back to the thread on Wi-fi?

Ingenue on March 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM

I’d really personally like to see a real compromise, with the best of both.

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

There is really such a deep divide on what the proper role of government that how could there be a compromise?

Putting 30 million more people on Medicaid does nothing for them at all when less and less doctors are taking Medicaid because they can’t stay in business on that much money.

It will actually hurt the people already on Medicaid now.

The next step would be to force Doctors to take medicaid.

And that is unthinkable for Republicans!

The democrats have no plan that is workable. Only expensive.

You can’t compromise with and unworkable, expensive plan.

petunia on March 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

You seem bound and determined to pick a fight today. You throw out these wild accusations with nothing to back them up. Do you ever deal in facts? What kind of offal is this?

Oh, come on people. I’m not going to repost nasty messages from far-right people.

That is the reputation, however.

And you really do need to stop denying that. The reputation of the far-right is that they are rigid about helping anyone out. It’s a kind of contemporary dog-eat-dog environment taken to the max, quoting Reagan all the way.

a capella on March 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM

That is the reputation, however.

Look at the thread about Wi-Fi!

I listen more to moderate GOP. They do understand that healthcare is a HUGE issue, not only on individual families but also on the global competitiveness.

My personal opinion is simple. The GOP doesn’t go far enough to address the problems.

The DEM plan goes too far and does too little.

I’d really personally like to see a real compromise, with the best of both.

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

So you buy into and perpetuate the liberal meme that ‘Conservatives are heartless douche-bags’.

And you do in fact support some version of socialized America – because people got problems and the government has to dole out those solutions. Has it ever occurred to you that whatever problems we do have are directly caused by government intervention? You talk like the health insurance and health care industries are some bastion of the free market untouched by government regulation. These industries are some of the most heavily regulated in our country: If government intervention was going to fix things or make them better it would have happened by now.

The Democrats want to put us on a path to unsustainability immediately and you’d prefer a compromise where we get to that point in a decade or so. Wonderful.

gwelf on March 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM

ladyingray on March 1, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Straight for the jugular, annnnnd killed it. Nice ;-)

Ingenue on March 1, 2010 at 6:32 PM

That is the reputation, however.

Look at the thread about Wi-Fi!

The DEM plan goes too far and does too little.

I’d really personally like to see a real compromise, with the best of both.

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

You are a concern troll, and a cowardd. Stand by what you post or go away.

Where is your buddy, babs, to take up for you now?

And do NOT even think I will ever back off. As long as you pokes this crap, I’m calling you on it.

You are nothing but an attention whore.

ladyingray on March 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Again I will say….ObamaCare will pass. Socialism is here. Get used to it.

angryed on March 1, 2010 at 6:37 PM

The veep presides over the Senate

No, he doesn’t. The veep has no power in the Senate. I learned this from esteemed Constitutional scholar and teacher of a class in Constitutional Law, Joe Biden, during his VP debate with Palin.

We are so lucky to have such experts in the Constitution occupying the White House …

neurosculptor on March 1, 2010 at 6:37 PM

ladyingray on March 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM

^5

Aviator on March 1, 2010 at 6:37 PM

gwelf on March 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM

I always get a kick out of the claims that conservatives are heartless. I’ve done tons of charity work and . . . yeah, ALL of the time the ones that are working their butts off are the conservatives and the “supervisors” patting themselves on the back because they are so awesome, liberals.

Ingenue on March 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I’d agree with AnnInCA if the final point in the summary were “we’ve got to throw out this mess and start over.”

JEM on March 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Oh, and if Biden does the ‘paths of glory’ thing in the Senate to push ObamaCare through, does that mean Sarah Palin’s comments about the VP presiding over the Senate were right?

JEM on March 1, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Got Tea?

Wake up, America!

TN Mom on March 1, 2010 at 6:40 PM

If it passes, God have mercy on the Democrats, for the citizens will have none.

AW1 Tim on March 1, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I don’t know, Tim. We’re still to complacent. Yep, the tea parties and the polls and all that, but if this passes, the average American will shrug and hope for the best.

That’s my worst fear in all this. And if that happens, we deserve what we get.

Grace_is_sufficient on March 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Ingenue on March 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Which is also why I laughed at the ‘a lady in my district is using her dead sisters dentures!!!eleventy1!!eone1!!11o11′ example put forth by Democrats as to why we need a transformation of American government. I’d bet that there are people in her community who would be glad to help her – if not dentists willing to do the work for free or at a steep discount.

Liberals tend to think that if things are left to individuals and free people that some great holocaust will be visited upon the poor and destitute…and an unsustainable government solution which still doesn’t actually help everyone is preferable. Their policies also have the ‘side-affect’ of dragging down the economy and curtailing freedom.

gwelf on March 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM

ladyingray on March 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM
+ 100

No one can hijack a thread like Ann-in-a-can. Every thread, which seems all thread, she joins soon becomes all about her.

Dhuka on March 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I’m getting real sick and tired of hearing how Republicans/conservatives don’t help people out. You know what? Every study/poll/and personal experience clearly, factually states otherwise. The only time liberals help “the little guy” out is when they are robbing someone else of their hard earned effort. That’s not helping anyone out, that’s out right theft. Liberals give the least to charity, thats a proven fact! So go whine somewhere else with that BS.

No other group in the world is more charitable than the conservative. Your problem is that people like me are not willing to be your suckers for more than a few scams until we wise up…but when real people need real help, people like me and others on this site are always there to help, ALWAYS. I’m sick and tired of this lie.

javamartini on March 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

They didn’t ask for the specific posts…just the links to where these comments were made. That’s easy enough.

I agree…this needs to be scrapped, and a start over is needed.

However…from your posts, I gather that you’re ok with a government take over. You mentioned on a previous thread today, something about how if we want to pay for it, we can keep the elderly going. I looked for it, but couldn’t find it, but I was taken back by it. Where do you think the cut off age will be with this government take over? 30? 40? 50? Higher? None of us are getting younger, most of us are nearing our elderly years….and this is what we’ll have to look forward to? Doesn’t God decide that? And denying life saving drugs is wrong?

I just can’t get on board with some of your opinions. I read what you say, but have a hard time, from post to post understanding where you REALLY stand.

Forcing money from some, to give to others is theft. Plain, and simple. There is no gray area. Supporting it, is no different, then putting a gun to my head, and demanding it from me, for yourself. In the end, it’s all theft, and you seem to not only be ok with that, you seem to be willing to make the mandates stick.

That is not what this country was founded on. I’ve never asked anyone for anything…and I hope I never have to, but if it were me in that situation, I’d accept my situation, or go out, and try to make it better. I won’t demand my government step in, and manditorally steal from others, because I don’t want to have to do if for myself.

capejasmine on March 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM

javamartini on March 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Oh come on…it doesn’t matter what you do in your personal life. You don’t want the government mandated important decisions in your life and controlling 1/6th the economy and taking vast amounts of money away from you and other Americans which means you hate poor people. /SARC

That’s how much liberals care – they care so much they want to rob you of your freedoms – that’s how important it is to them.

gwelf on March 1, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Oh, and Ann?

I don’t think I’ll respond to anymore of your threads. As is being said, you seem to want to rile things up, and garner some attention. So I won’t cater to it anymore. I won’t be an enabler for your lack of attention. I raised my kids to know better than that. You should too by now.

capejasmine on March 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Compromise? That’s like compromising with poison. All you get is poison.

Mojave Mark on March 1, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Compromise: The alchemy which magically turns crap in to gold!

gwelf on March 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM

The DEM plan goes too far and does too little.

I’d really personally like to see a real compromise, with the best of both.

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

You’ve got some nerve. For months you’ve been defending the Dems plan and ignored the fact that the GOP’s last interaction prior to the summit was in April of 2009. Almost a year of the Dems refusing any GOP input and now you call for compromise. Fact of the matter is that the time for compromise is over unless and until the Dems are willing to start anew. In the meantime look up hypocrite in the dictionary because that is what you are.

highhopes on March 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Oh, and Ann?

capejasmine on March 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM

That is the role of a concern troll.

highhopes on March 1, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Compromise: The alchemy which magically turns gold into crap!

davecatbone on March 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Compromise: The alchemy which magically turns gold into crap!

davecatbone on March 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM

touche

gwelf on March 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Again I will say….ObamaCare will pass. Socialism is here. Get used to it.

angryed on March 1, 2010 at 6:37 PM

The first two parts may be true, but there really is no reason to get used to it. If we go socialist just as it’s crashing and burning in Europe and just as we don’t have any “other people’s money” with which to pay for it, then it won’t be here for long.

jarodea on March 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I don’t think he does it for one reason – it puts reconciliation right at the doorstep of Obama and he doesn’t want to get his hands dirty.

If Biden overrules the parlimentarian – it’s basically Obama doing it and he can’t risk that I don’t think.

gophergirl on March 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Excellent post AP. What could go wrong with Gaffetastic Joe swinging away at everything chess master McConnell throws at him?

Mark30339 on March 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM

The DEM plan goes too far and does too little.

I’d really personally like to see a real compromise, with the best of both.
AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Who would your moderate GOP be? The Maverick? Same guy who wants to regulate Vitamins. Grahmnesty? Don’t think your personal opinion is in a majority. Only Fascists and communists talk like that.

Also can you explain what from House/Senate Bill do you like? Don’t talk like Charlie Crist. Give us specific examples.

antisocial on March 1, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Exactly AP. If they are going to nuke the legislative process with reconciliation then any rule that gets in their way will go down in flames. The post partisan president is going to oversee the most partisan governing process in memory in order to take over 1/6 of the US economy and create a paradigm shift in US politics.

jnelchef on March 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Didn’t Joe B. say something about VP powers during the VP debate last year??? I can’t remember what it was??

kringeesmom on March 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM

JEM on March 1, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Not only that, but seeing as how the Reid senate got to make up brand new rules about how certain sections required new higher invented majorities to repeal, when the Conservatives win the day, we get to make up just as insipid guidelines for doing away the the Greek tragedy formerly known as ObowMaoCare. Remember folks if the congress doesn’t approve the money, it can’t get spent.

Blacksmith8 on March 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Palin pointed out during the campaign that the VP had power in the senate. People laughed at her.

29Victor on March 1, 2010 at 10:34 PM

If they’re willing to game the process…

Oh, I see. Proposing scores of frivolous amendments in a deliberate attempt to derail a vote on legislation is just “good strategy”. But if the Democrats can nullify it it’s “gaming the process”.
Sheesh!

Look, there’s going to be a health care bill. Period.
President Obama is not going to “start over” and he’s not going to stand by while Republicans “game the process”.
It’s going to get done. “Start liking it” is your best option.

chumpThreads on March 1, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Told you so.

spmat on March 2, 2010 at 1:26 AM

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM

The conservative message is that misfortune in your life does not give you the right to take anything from me.

Enough pussyfooting around; you have been given too much benefit of the doubt for much too long. Ann, you are dishonest, and you are dumb.

Troll Feeder on March 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM

This is not the time for some hard-ass message about This is not the time for some hard-ass message about how, “You screwed up and lost your job because you’re dumb, so if you’re family suffers, too bad” kind of conservative message.
AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM
AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM

The conservative message here is that misfortune in your life does not in any way entitle you to take anything from me.

Ann, you have been given the benefit of the doubt for far too long. You are dishonest, and you are dumb.

Troll Feeder on March 2, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Ann, you have been given the benefit of the doubt for far too long. You are dishonestnot one of us, and you are dumbnot smart enough to agree. Prepare to be assimilated.

Troll Feeder on March 2, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Dark-Star on March 2, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Yeah. She probably isn’t one of us either.

Good point, champ.

Troll Feeder on March 2, 2010 at 9:19 AM

If Democrats try to ram this through with reconciliation and Plugs Biden “acting Parliamentarian”, people will go E’ffing bonkers. It will look like “Immigration Amnesty Reform” times a thousand million billion trillion

olesparkie on March 2, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Ann thinks Mao was a great person….her words….therefore she has no issues at all with enslaving an entire population to the whims of a totalitarian government….she is a monster, an evil being.

That being said, the trolls on this thread are absolutely right….our dictator in chief will get this passed, whatever rules may exist are irrelevant and always have been….ask yourselves if he’s bothered so far to follow the rules in this process.

runawayyyy on March 2, 2010 at 10:00 AM

“You screwed up and lost your job because you’re dumb, so if you’re family suffers, too bad but big box stores and fast food restaurants are always hiring and it might be appropriate to work wherever you can until you land your ideal job again. Oh, and hopefully you learned a lesson about carrying too much non-mortgage debt in general and how it’s not good for your family.” kind of conservative message.

AnninCA on March 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Fixed to actual conservative message.

rogerb on March 2, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I’m telling you, this won’t end well if the DEMS proceed with this. They’re on a dangerous, slippery slope.

It’s going to hit the fan.

Oink on March 2, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Wait…. How can Biden do this as VP, and Palin be wrong when she says the VP presides over the senate? LOL

jeffn21 on March 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM

If this would work, Bozo wouldn’t put any time into putting out plan C tomorrow. If they could do it, they would have done it already.

Reid doesn’t have 51 votes. Pelosi doesn’t have the votes either.

dogsoldier on March 2, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Let ‘em do it – I double-dawg dare ‘em to do it!

When your enemy is rushing to jump off a cliff – by all means – let him do it!

HondaV65 on March 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM

What I find so fascinating is how the left uses it powers to stop the right and when the right does it the left howls at full pitch.
The media will ONLY cover the lunatic fringe ( the left) and cover for them. It will be interesting how the next election blood bath is cover by the by the media.

grapeknutz on March 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Don’t worry. He prayed to God that the Democrats wouldn’t attempt such a power grab so I’m sure he won’t abuse his power in this way.

cirrus on March 2, 2010 at 11:02 AM

This, again, is really old news. Republicans need to call reconcilation by it’s proper name as coined by the people who want to use it now, The Nuclear Option”. If Biden does this the Senate and Congress will never be the same again. We won’t remember what it was like to be in the country of our Founders. If Republicans continue to try to be gentlemen politicians the country will lose more and more power to Drmocrats even when they are in the minority. There will be no more smart gentlemen pols.

Sultry Beauty on March 2, 2010 at 11:20 AM

highhopes on March 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM

–The GOP members of the Senate Finance Committee were working on this throughout the summer. You’re wrong about the April date.

Jimbo3 on March 2, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Sultry Beauty on March 2, 2010 at 11:20 AM

–Reconciliation has never been the nuclear option. Suspending/amending the Senate rules to allow for a vote on judges was the nuclear option. Go back and read some recent history. It’s no surprise you’re from California.

Jimbo3 on March 2, 2010 at 11:22 AM

If they had the vote today, they’d be voting today.

Fred 2 on March 2, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Did you see how Happy Chuckie looked? The MSM is not biased. The MSM is the Obama administration.

I am also sick and tired of pundits saying that the communists i.e. democrats are “tone deaf”. They are NOT tone deaf they are doing what their fellow comrades tell them to do! Obama and his ilk reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljz8qxUQAFs.

margretto on March 2, 2010 at 11:51 AM

cirrus on March 2, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Hey, why should you blame Biden if God refuses to stop Biden from engaging in that kind of power grab? After all, Biden did ask nicely…

VekTor on March 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Sorry my link didn’t work. Try this:

margretto on March 2, 2010 at 12:02 PM

If Biden starts acting like the VP is the executive officer of the Senate, the Palin’s haters will have to admit she was right about the duties of the position.
The plot thickens.
Soon Obama and the Dems will have to admit Russia is in fact right next to Alaska

LeeSeneca on March 2, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Skandia Recluse on March 1, 2010 at 6:29 PM

And she has the immorality to force the obligation of her “charity” on future generations. I love these nitwits that have no idea how reality works and they try to dress up their stupidity under the guise of “caring” yet they don’t give a hoot about the financial condition that they are leaving to the next generation. Yeah, they’re the moral ones….

Ann NY on March 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM