Obama’s doctors recommend “moderation in alcohol intake”

posted at 4:52 pm on March 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

I haven’t related to him this well since the last “Obama skipping church again” story.

Alternate headline: “ObamaCare explained.”

Barack Obama is still struggling to kick smoking, according to his first medical examination since becoming president.

Obama is sensitive about his cigarette habit and tetchy with reporters who raise it. But after his 90-minute medical at the Navy hospital outside Washington yesterday morning, his doctors confirmed he had not yet managed to conquer the habit and suggested he “continue smoking cessation efforts”…

The doctors also recommended “moderation of alcohol intake”.

Four hackish thoughts off the top of my head about the president imbibing. (1) It’s probably the only way he can understand Biden. (2) Now we know where that famous mellow temperament comes from. (3) If I had to deal with Reid and Pelosi every day, I’d go straight to heroin. (4) They should put the intervention on C-SPAN.

And now, my friends, you can safely skip the first few minutes of Leno’s monologue tonight. You’re welcome.

Having had some fun with The One here, and duly noting Ann Althouse’s point about the left smearing Bush with “dry drunk” theories, I’m duty bound to point out that this is much ado about nothing.

“Recommendations: Follow-up colorectal cancer screening is recommended in 5 years for routine colon cancer screening. Continue smoking cessation efforts, a daily exercise program, healthy diet, moderation in alcohol intake, periodic dental care, and remain up-to-date with recommended immunizations. Continue modified exercise regimen, and lower extremity muscle strengthening program, for occasional left patella-femoral pain secondary to chronic tendonitis. Recommend dietary modification to reduce LDL cholesterol below 130.”

I.e. he’s already drinking in moderation. Keep up the good sober work, champ!

I know you feel scandal-deprived now so head over to Ace’s for some nose-picking video to lift your spirits. Below you’ll find Gibbs waxing philosophical about The One’s struggles with big tobacco. Click the image to watch.

gibbs-smoke

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

All the empty 40 containers are blocking the Dali Lama’s White House exit.

portlandon on March 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Question: Does Obama visit HA’s open threads and participate in the drinking games?

MeatHeadinCA on March 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM

See, he really isn’t a Muslim!

Mr. Joe on March 1, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Or he’s preparing for a suicide attack. They are allowed to indulge for that purpose.

But if anyone doesn’t realize that’s sarcasm, then don’t talk to me.

Esthier on March 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Change.

justltl on March 1, 2010 at 5:28 PM

No, he’s not a heavy drinker. Did you even read the post?

Allahpundit on March 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Read the post? I thought that was what headlines were for? =)

gwelf on March 1, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Secondarily, I hope that people aren’t going to try to spin this into an “Obama the alcy” story. That’s below us.

RWLA on March 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I’m sure that Teh Won will drink to that!

GnuBreed on March 1, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Allahpundit this is below you. This is like something Sean Hannity would do.
Decider on March 1, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Oh, here we go. The voice of reason. A Coffee Partier!!!

joejm65 on March 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM

(3) If I had to deal with Reid and Pelosi every day, I’d go straight to heroin.

Are you sure he hasn’t?

JammieWearingFool on March 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM

If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don’t actually live longer; it just seems longer.

MB4 on March 1, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Good thing that Canada won hockey, then; otherwise, Harper was to send Obama some Molson’s! As it is, Obama’s giving it up!

elpidzo13 on March 1, 2010 at 5:30 PM

In 2009, a limited edition bottle of Hennessy VS was released in honor of the inauguration of Barack Obama as the 44th president of the United States of America. The bottle featured a black label with gold lettering. Also, the circle seal towards the base of the neck featured a large 44, the phrase “In Honor of the 44th President” and the date of Mr. Obama’s inauguration. (from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hennessy )

Barack Hennessy Obama, mmmm, mmmm, mmmm.

RBMN on March 1, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Where the hell does he smoke? I thought it was illegal to smoke on any federal property…or is there an exception for “The Won”. I mean, I read in some states, you can’t even smoke in your own apartment.

AUINSC on March 1, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Bingo! That’s why he is constantly flying all over the country and can’t keep his ass at the White House! I wonder how often he actually steps foot in the Oval Office.

Brat on March 1, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Hope. Change. Steel Reserve.

Emperor Norton on March 1, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Obie is being a hypocrite again. He tells us to take a pill for our health care yet he gets to smoke and drink. That does not seem fair. :(

Dire Straits on March 1, 2010 at 5:35 PM

He did let Gordon Brown redeem the empties.

Cicero43 on March 1, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Personally, I wish he’d get sh!tfaced every morning and stay that way all day and night. I’d buy the booze.

TXUS on March 1, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Gin ‘n Juice

a new release by MC Snoop Barry

DrW on March 1, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Hey, we imbibe, I don’t have anything against alcohol. It’s just that with all of the photos of The Messiah with a drink, you get the impression that he spends a lot of time at parties and social events.

His WH’s reputation as a celebrity-filled extravagant party palace doesn’t help. And the jet to NYC for date night, and wifey and the kids jet-setting to Europe and staying over to shop in the stores that opened up on the weekend exclusively for them… It’s part of both the Marie Antoinette thing and the rep for enjoying campaigning and socializing, but actual governance not so much.

obladioblada on March 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM

My doctor said I can keep drinking until 2012.

chunderroad on March 1, 2010 at 5:39 PM

ok, i’m nearly two weeks into my lenten abstention from alcohol.

week one: every commercial is for beer. every food would taste better with a beer. i’ll never make it 40 days.

week two: every other commercial is for beer. gee, a coke is pretty good with this pizza. come on Easter!

DrW on March 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM

MARGARITAVILLE

canopfor on March 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Booger picker who are you? We all see what you can do. Picking boogers day and night, digging deep with all thy might. A dirty habit you have got, in a barrel of snot may you rot…

glennbo on March 1, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Why Don’t We Get…

thomasaur on March 1, 2010 at 5:44 PM

He knows smoking is bad for his health so he only smokes when he drinks.

Unfortunately, he drinks all the time.

BowHuntingTexas on March 1, 2010 at 5:45 PM

All those parties, O, and Michelle have. Perhpas Obama with most of the men, feel compelled to slam more than a few down, when Pelosi goes all giddy, and does a strip tease on the dining table? LMAO!!!

Now I know I’m going to take flack from some over that! LOL

capejasmine on March 1, 2010 at 5:45 PM

MARGARITAVILLE

canopfor on March 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM

…some ppl say that my health care plan’s to blame, but I know, it’s my own damn fault.

PolitiNOOB on March 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Why Don’t We Get…

thomasaur on March 1, 2010 at 5:44 PM

thomasaur: Reminds me of the Chinese SNL skit,and
that should be the theme for what the
Debaucherous Democrats are doing to Lady
Liberty!!haha:)

canopfor on March 1, 2010 at 5:50 PM

MB4 on March 1, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Comment of the Day™

steveegg on March 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM

capejasmine on March 1, 2010 at 5:45 PM

MARGARITAVILLE

canopfor on March 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM
=========================================

PolitiNOOB on March 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

PolitiNOOB:)

canopfor on March 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM

All the empty 40 containers blocking the Dali Lama’s White House exit. DUDE! Too freaking funny!

Knuterockne on March 1, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Chunderroad- is your doc a mayan witch doctor?

CWforFreedom on March 1, 2010 at 5:54 PM

No, No, No, B.O.!

The heck with what your doctors tell you!

Take the advice from the classic operetta, THE STUDENT PRINCE!

Down the hatch, dude!

pilamaye on March 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM

AUINSC on March 1, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Well he’s shirking the Constitution, and his AG seems corrupt in not naming those lawyers he’s hired, that defend terrorists…and then we have Geithner taking control of a company, illegally. What’s another law against smoking on federal property? I’m sure his ilk just looks the other way when he lights up.

capejasmine on March 1, 2010 at 5:57 PM

No, No, No, B.O.!

The heck with what your doctors tell you!

Take the advice from the classic operetta, THE STUDENT PRINCE!

Down the hatch, dude!

pilamaye on March 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM

LOL Let’s all pitch in, and send him a beer bong for his Birthday LOL

capejasmine on March 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM

What amazes me is that there are no photos of him with a cigarette (the one we’ve all seen was a photoshop). It’s like FDR in a wheelchair. He’s done a great job over the past few years keeping his smoking from the public. And yeah, liberal media and all that, but if there was a picture of him puffing away, it would be in every newspaper in the country.

YYZ on March 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I don’t understand how Michelle could believe that he could quit smoking as president. I’d automatically assume the habit would get worse because of um I don’t know the STRESS of the office?

Then again I guess she just expected he’d be able to speak for an hour everyday and then be done with it. It’s our own damn fault for not bowing down to him.

Ingenue on March 1, 2010 at 5:59 PM

capejasmine on March 1, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Ugh, the Oval Office coated with cigarette smoke, perfect . . . just the image I need.

Ingenue on March 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM

The doctors also recommended “moderation of alcohol intake”.

Did they recommend this to Obama, or to the people who drunkblog/ play drinking games during his speeches? I know I’ve been concerned about the latter group.

But after his 90-minute medical at the Navy hospital outside Washington

I’m sure all the corpsemen there were ecstatic to see him.

malclave on March 1, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Barack Hennessy Colt 45 Obama, mmmm, mmmm, mmmm

Pelayo on March 1, 2010 at 6:02 PM

MSNBC First Read? Too lazy to check, but I think that’s Chuck “The goatee” Todd realm.

Exit question: can not flossing and not brushing impair your judgment? It might result in breath that could stop Pelosi in her tracks. I don’t see the equivalence. But then it’s a fricking liberal offering cover for Obama, so he must be right.

BuckeyeSam on March 1, 2010 at 6:02 PM

His LDL is elevated. I wonder why they didn’t report his glucose.

Y-not on March 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Uhm. If you’re the President and you need to take that call at 3 a.m. why are you drinking at all?

Rightwingguy on March 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM

All reasonable excuses for not attending a given Church. Obama went out of his way to try and say he was just like the people in fly over country (Christian) while at the same time insulting them during the campaign (the clinger quote comes to mind)So I consider his failure to either find a church or have a trusted minister come to the White House a bit of hypocrisy.

chemman on March 1, 2010 at 5:17 PM/blockquote>

Hey! That hurts every time I hear it.

BitterClinger on March 1, 2010 at 6:08 PM

As a smoker, I say to all of you critics – Let the guy smoke, and shut up. What I do object to is his hiding his habit. If he would just say, “Yeah, I smoke, and FU, and I don’t mean Felix Ungar” I might have a teeny, tiny bit of respect.

Nah!

Pelayo on March 1, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Obama is probably a Schmidt’s gay beer drinker.

(Tried to find a vid of the commercial, but there aren’t any…its an old chris farley SNL skit)

daesleeper on March 1, 2010 at 6:17 PM

On top of everything else he lives with his mother in law – he isn’t gonna quit drinking or smoking.

Dork B. on March 1, 2010 at 6:19 PM

B+ stands for binge drinking

Daveyardbird on March 1, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Rightwingguy on March 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Apparently he’s depending on Hillary not to drink instead.

viking01 on March 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM

As I suggest before, Obama might end up like General Jack Ripper, a drunk, hunkered down in his office in January 2013, refusing to wave the white flag and walk out and accept that he is no longer in charge. The only way out, in his state of mind, is to send a bomber wing to attack Fly Over Country, to make America safe for freedom socialism. The recall code: OPM – Other Peoples Money.

keep the change on March 1, 2010 at 6:27 PM

The clues are staring us right in our collective faces.

1)He smokes
2)He drinks
3)He is a degenerate gambler.

Obviously the man is running a card game in the White House basement.

R Square on March 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Moderation in all things….to include spending,taxation, government control and personal appearances.

R Square on March 1, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I was more concerned about Obama’s resting heart rate of 56 and his blood pressure of 102/60 (approximately). Aren’t those the heart rate and blood pressure of a snake or other type of lizard?

eaglewingz08 on March 1, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Glaring omission: His mother-in-law lives in the White House. Imagine Michelle Obama and her mother doing the neck back and forth, side-to-side thing every day while they berate him for whatever.

SouthernGent on March 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Hey…that explains why he’s so comfortable reading off of two teleprompters. He’s used to his wife just to his right, and his mother-in-law just to his left. When the nagging commences it’s tennis-table time! But dear…but mom…let me be clear on this…as I’ve always said…etc.

DrAllecon on March 1, 2010 at 6:45 PM

R Square on March 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Magic the Gathering?

Rightwingguy on March 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Now we know where that famous mellow temperament comes from

The “mellow temperament” is a complete myth. He’s a mean drunk.

;)

KittyLowrey on March 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Why’s he afraid to chug tons of booze daily?

Metro on March 1, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I know you feel scandal-deprived now

Actually, I’m sure most people already had the same take you had,as in it was a routine “keep up” thing.

KittyLowrey on March 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM

When people called Bush a “dry drunk,” they weren’t accusing him of still drinking (hence the word “dry”).

“Dry drunk” is a term used for sober alcoholics who retain the same unlikable character traits they had when they were drunks.

Tom_Shipley on March 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Yes, indeed.

And in addition to that slur made against GWB for no justifiable reason there was plenty of speculation on the left that Bush was covertly drinking again.

KittyLowrey on March 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Moesart on March 1, 2010 at 5:17 PM

And lo and behold, there’s an example.

KittyLowrey on March 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM

He’s too skinny and getting thinner. Smokes + light beer + tons of stress = skinny Obama.

Michelle can’t be happy about this. Most women do NOT want to outweigh their husbands. (FWIW, I don’t think she’s fat. But compared to Obummer, she looks rather…filled out, shall we say.)

Grace_is_sufficient on March 1, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Let’s not forget that his polygamist Marxist economist daddy was also a raging alcoholic who killed himself driving drunk (after first crippling himself driving drunk).

Disturb the Universe on March 1, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM

By this logic, should we call Obama a wet Marxist?

R Square on March 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I hate to think he would do this kind of thing sober.

Mutnodjmet on March 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Disturb the Universe on March 1, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Which guy do you mean?

R Square on March 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Has anybody gone back through recent reports for other Presidents to see if drinking was even mentioned? This is the first time I can recall such advice given in a report the doctors know is akin to a national “Health of the President” press release.

TheBigOldDog on March 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM

It goes without saying that Barry drinks beer while everyone else is drinking Koolaid.

(….I know…too easy but I had to do the layup)

R Square on March 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Ok, I’ve had enough bring me another Sam Adams.

hip shot on March 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Headline is still misleading.
Everyone recommends “moderation in alcohol intake” to everyone.
Here we have medical professionals recommending a particular individual to moderate his intake of alcohol.

AP, no break he won’t cut his atheist prez. No Palin nit he won’t pick.

Stephen M on March 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM

You’d drink too if you had to wake up to this every morning.

portlandon on March 1, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Whoa, dude! She looks like one of the brides from the classic horror spoof “BLACULA”

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. I made a reference to black, meaning I’m a RAAAAAAACIST!!!!

But the picture is still way scary!

pilamaye on March 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Still waiting for the other shoe to drop regarding pot and blow…..

R Square on March 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM

(3) If I had to deal with Reid and Pelosi every day, I’d go straight to heroin.
Are you sure he hasn’t?
JammieWearingFool on March 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Hey you never know…. Relapse and all that…

antisocial on March 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM

R Square on March 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

The one who shares his name.

But Stanley Ann did seem to get around.

Disturb the Universe on March 1, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Why? He has no strong will. If he can’t master this, he can’t master anything else which requires sacrifice. He’s a BIG baby, with featherfluff for cojones.

Schadenfreude on March 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Must have been hard to sit through a seven hour health care summit; kind of like going cold turkey.

Dhuka on March 1, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Since Van is over at Princeton Prep or wherever:

Hey Man, don’t keep being Clarence from “8 Mile”. Dump the Kools and wine and beer. Black and Mild and hard liquor is
sicker and while driving a Caddy its hard to top it.

And start cooking some jobs for us to make something up in here. Jobs for stuff we can sell now and the wages will ride if the man gets his profits.

And we’ll have a country run by a man and not acting like a bimbo (itch) living at a mall with a credit card in her hand.

IlikedAUH2O on March 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Someone may have already posted this, but that was clearly not a “you need to drink less than you currently are” comment. It was obviously a “moderate drinking is healthy” comment. And I’m not an Obama fan. This is silly.

exhelodrvr on March 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

The doctors also recommended “moderation of alcohol intake”.

Translated, the President is a lush.

paulsur on March 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

exhelodrvr on March 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

That may be truly the case, but read the sentence in bold, and my comment is funnier. :)

paulsur on March 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Hope and *hic* change. Where’d I put that hope and change again?

Philly on March 1, 2010 at 9:42 PM

exhelodrvr on March 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

My doctor has never once looked at me and said “moderate drinking is healthy”. I wish he would, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Philly on March 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Well since Obama wants a “Nanny State” I think he is a prime candidate to show us how it will work.

After all we have to pay for his medical, its only fair WE control our investment.

1. Daily urinalysis tests
2. Breathalyzer 5 times a day
3. Daily stool samples to be taken and analyzed for proper diet and function.

Reports to be publicly released every Wednesday.

Cigarettes as we all know is a drug, Alcohol is a drug.
Clearly Obama needs to be in recovery program (even if he is still in denial).

Its for his own good!

DSchoen on March 1, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Maybe this is the cause of his stammering in speeches? he’s just trying to squeeze out a tremendous beer fart!
Obama:We must….uuuummmmMMMMMMM pass health errrrRRRRRRRR care reform. If we don’t we uuuuuuuuuUUUMMMMMM Oh GOD!….will be bankrupt. The time is haruuuUUUMMMPPPHHHH…now! Yes we…..PPPPPHHHHHTTTTTTHHHHHTTTTT….CAN! Now, if you’ll excuse me, no more questions because I’ve um, errr, uuuhh, pooped my pants a little bit. Joe! Catch my seat while I shuffle off stage! shuffle shuffle shuffle…

Hazzard on March 1, 2010 at 10:13 PM

This is silly.
exhelodrvr on March 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Silly is your post!

Please, no doctor is going to tell a patient who is not drinking, “ya know you should really take up drinking”!

Other things your doctor won’t tell you!

“ya know you should really take up Smoking”!

“ya know you should really take up Heroin”!

“ya know you should really take up LSD”!

“ya know you should really take up Cordless Bungee Jumping”!

If a doctor put in his report
“ya know you should try moderate drinking”

its because the test results show he is not drinking moderately!

Its kinda sorta like who a doctor gives the patient a HINT!!!

DSchoen on March 1, 2010 at 10:17 PM

“medical professionals recommending a particular individual to moderate his intake of alcohol.”
Everyone recommends “moderation in alcohol intake” to everyone.
Stephen M on March 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Want a bet?

Seriously, how stupid are some people.

A doctor who’s patient is say ahhh, a recovering alcoholic, and you honestly think that doctor is going to tell that patient to drink alcohol? in ANY Amount!

Really? Want to bet?

DSchoen on March 1, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM

The problem with that charge against Bush it would require the person making it to have in depth personal knowledge of Bush when he was drinking.

Without that intimate knowledge the claim is nothing more than a smear.

There is no check off sheet for how ALL alcoholics think and act before getting sober.

DSchoen on March 1, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Geez… and to think I was crediting the Hand of God for POTUS incompetence!

T J Green on March 1, 2010 at 11:34 PM

From Chuck Todd’s post on msnbc:

“But when you read the actual report, it’s clear that this alcohol recommendation is akin to your dentist telling you to floss daily and brush your teeth twice a day.”

I left a comment asking if that statement has ever appeared on another presidential health report before. My comment has yet to appear.

I did some digging and didn’t find anything on 43, 42, or 41 medical reports. Still might be there, I just couldn’t find it.

I am wondering if Todd discussed the physical with Obama’s doctor. How is he so sure this is what the doctor meant? Isn’t he interpreting the report just like anyone else is? Why is he so defensive about this? Is it his job to interpret the report and defend Obama? Interesting approach he took in my opinion. Came across very defensive, and not very neutral.

sarainitaly on March 2, 2010 at 6:31 AM

eaglewingz08 on March 1, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Well, Obooboo does have a funny looking smile.

Funny thing, I’ve had annuals and flight physicals for over 32 years. Not once, has a doctor said or written that I should “moderate” my drinking.

Blacksmith8 on March 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM