Townhall Magazine’s March Edition: Tea Parties, ObamaCare, Nixon Redux, and more!

posted at 3:35 pm on March 1, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The new issue of Townhall Magazine has hit the newstands and mailboxes around the US, and it’s chock-full of conservative goodness.  If you subscribe now, you can still get these articles this month:

• In “Full Speed Ahead,” the issue’s cover story, Townhall Magazine contributing editor Meredith Jessup reports that despite the loud and clear messages Americans have been sending—from tea parties and town halls to shocking GOP victories in Virginia, New Jersey and the liberal stronghold of Massachusetts—President Obama intends to put the pedal to the metal with his progressive, big-government agenda.
  • We reveal the ugly racist, eugenic history of Planned Parenthood, the organization that has found that killing minority babies is good business; the government wants a greater role in getting students into college, even if it’s a bad idea; and the Supreme Court hears another vital gun-rights case.

• Cato Institute health care expert Michael Cannon warns in “ObamaCare: It’s Not Dead Yet” that it’s a mistake for opponents of the Left’s attempt to take over the health care industry to assume the fight is won, even in light of Scott Brown’s victory. Democrats are seeking a way to implement their ultimate big-government agenda item.
  • Frequent Townhall Magazine contributor Matthew Vadum lays out the ugly truth about a far-Left organization. “Big Abortion, Big Eugenics, Big Business” reveals that Planned Parenthood, America’s foremost abortion provider, has found that killing babies—especially in minority communities—is good business. And their political friends in Washington are keeping the taxpayer money flowing.
  • Fred Lucas, a Townhall Magazine contributing editor, lays out the eerie and disconcerting similarities between the Obama and Nixon administrations in “Nixon Redux.”

• Townhall national political reporter Jillian Bandes takes a look at the government’s growing role in getting more people into college and asks, “Is that such a good idea?”

I’ve written for TM in the past, and I’ve been a subscriber for years.  Now that we’re part of the Salem Communications team, it’s a good time for Hot Air readers to get a look at an excellent monthly compendium of news, analysis, and entertainment.  Two of your favorite bloggers will shortly begin regular contributions to Townhall Magazine, too.  Don’t miss out!

Comments

And the internal commercials begin…

cs89 on March 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Looks like a great mag. Unfortunately I already get more magazines than I have time to read…..

UltimateBob on March 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I can’t wait to see AP in townhall mag in a sullivan-esque pose.

lorien1973 on March 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM

THE HEAVY HAND OF SALEM COMMUNICATIONS STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

battleoflepanto1571 on March 1, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Just kidding, but seriously:

Does the Townhall MAGAZINE have as many popups, in-text ads, 1990s font, and 2-pages-minimum-per-article-no-matter-how-short like the Townhall WEBSITE does?

;)

battleoflepanto1571 on March 1, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Who needs Townhall, Newsmax, American Spectator, Conservative Chronicles or First Things when there is Hot Air?

fourdeucer on March 1, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Nothing wrong with this, but please never ask us to join the Hughniverse.

Mark1971 on March 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Ed you corporate shill! :-)

conservnut on March 1, 2010 at 3:45 PM

MMmmmmm I just love cross marketing efforts late in the afternoon.

angryed on March 1, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Nothing wrong with this, but please never ask us to join the Hughniverse.

Mark1971 on March 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM

What’s that? Playboy magazine?

UltimateBob on March 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Gave you a click-thru. YW.

jjraines on March 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM

But wait, there’s more!

amerpundit on March 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Have to keep ribbing you…

Hey, how much is the “HotAir Commenter” discount?

cs89 on March 1, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Since we’re on the topic of Townhall, can we all pitch in to buy them a font that doesn’t give me a stroke?

amerpundit on March 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Oh, goody. Someone else wants to send me the internet on dead trees via courier. Once a month.

ExUrbanKevin on March 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM

What’s that? Playboy magazine?

UltimateBob on March 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Mark1971 on March 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM

And the shilling begins…

omnipotent on March 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Townhall.com is practically unreadable on my iPhone. When they smooth out their technical issues, maybe then I’ll think about paying for some of their services. Until then…pointless.

joejm65 on March 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM

If it supports my favorite website, I can deal with that. But I want a slap chop with it!

gator70 on March 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM

SELLOUT!

russcote on March 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM

But wait, there’s more!

amerpundit on March 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Operators standing by now!

fourdeucer on March 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM

fourdeucer on March 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I demand Ed wear a headset and blue shirt in all future sales pitches.

“You’re gonna love my nuts!”

amerpundit on March 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I thought the ads were supposed to be over there on the right side of the page.

Rude on March 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I want to know more about the Obama-Nixon parallels. Hopefully, Obozo’s term will end with resignation as well.

Dominion on March 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM

No digital magazine option? Bummer.

Slublog on March 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM

And the internal commercials begin…

cs89 on March 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM

lol

Jeez, Ed, if you can’t be subtle about it, at least through us a sarcastic “obligatory”.

Count to 10 on March 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Dear Ed Morrissey,

Please pass on to your new owners one serious perspective:

TOWNHALL’s website is near-useless, as they have no “registration” feature.

In 2008, shortly before the election, this translated into the website becoming a cesspool of Axelrod Astroturfers…not unlike over at PajamasMedia.

*D*I*S*M*A*L*

The situation has only become slightly better since.

Please avoid ANY possibility of that EVER happening here.

Forewarned ‘n’ all….

Lockstein13 on March 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I wished I could afford it right now, Ed. I really do. But right now, I just can’t committ to another subscription. :(

I also thought you all might find this interesting, in case you hadn’t seen it.

Main Content
Ben Smith: Political News and Analysis: Former Dem blasts ‘dangerous’ agendaMarch 01, 2010
Categories:2010.Former Dem blasts ‘dangerous’ agenda

Kraushaar:

Alabama Rep. Parker Griffith is up with his first advertisement since switching to the Republican Party, launching an expensive television campaign that accuses President Barack Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of trying to implement a “dangerous” agenda.”

“I went to Congress to represent you and the conservative values we share, but the radical Obama-Pelosi liberal agenda has gone too far,” Griffith says in the ad, which was provided to POLITICO by an Alabama-based GOP operative. “Massive new spending, tax increases, bailouts, a bad health care bill — I fought against all of it. I’m a Republican because that’s the best way I can fight for our conservative principles and oppose this dangerous liberal agenda.”

Posted by Ben Smith 03:22 PM
comments (2)post a commentpermalinkName:Comments:Post Comment
DiggDeliciousRedditYahooFacebookGoogleTechnorati.March 01, 2010
Categories:Misc.ACORN cleared in Brooklyn: ‘No criminality’
Kings County, New York District Attorney Joe Hynes put out a statement just now:

On Sept. 15, 2009, my office began an investigation into possible criminality on the part of three ACORN employees. The three had been secretly videotaped by two people posing as a pimp and prostitute, who came to ACORN’S Brooklyn office, seeking advice about how to purchase a house with money generated by their ‘business.’ The ‘couple’ later made the recording public. That investigation is now concluded and no criminality has been found.

Posted by Ben Smith 03:16 PM

capejasmine on March 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I got a few free issues of that magazine when they first started publishing it. Not bad. Since this blog is now a part of the same company, though, I think I’ll stop there.

Nice to see the corporate synergy already at work ;)

changer1701 on March 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Hey, is there a Firefox extension that blocks corporate sponsor posts?

/jk (some of us are happy to have these if it helps make HA available to us for free)

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on March 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Do we get a toaster if we subscribe?

d1carter on March 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Two of your favorite bloggers will shortly begin regular contributions to Townhall Magazine, too. Don’t miss out!

Which two? If it’s Ed and Doctor Zero, I will consider it.
If it’s AP, no thanks.

SKYFOX on March 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM

d1carter on March 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I thought only gay people got toasters? ;)

changer1701 on March 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Obama as/is Nixon. LOL Gotta love that. This is sure gonna get the attention of the lefties. No such thing as bad publicity, eh? I see the similarity: “I’m not a crook.”-Nixon. “I’m not an idealogue.”- Obama

JimP on March 1, 2010 at 4:06 PM

In the spirit of the liberal mentality sweeping this nation, I would like , I think I’m entitled to have this next issue sent to me for free—-the folks at Salem can call it redistribution of knowledge.

Rovin on March 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Nixon was a liberal. Just sayin.

therightwinger on March 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Wow, this Hot Air-Townhall deal is just synergy-rific!

BCrago66 on March 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM

that cover photo of jug-ears kinds reminds me of a line from Jaws…

“We’re gonna need a bigger boatbigger fingers…”

max1 on March 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I stopped cutting down trees long ago.

I think Townhall needs to get the hang of the whole interactive Internet thingy … It’s the participation generation. One way magazines are so last century.

And the really bad news is people move fast in this day and age.

tarpon on March 1, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll get a subscription right away! /s!!!!

Caper29 on March 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Y’all are a tough crowd! Boo!

SouthernGent on March 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM

pathetic.

sesquipedalian on March 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM

O/T:

Ezra Klein on MSDNC: Americans will suffer in the long run for this new transparency brought about by the new media/blogs—-this will cause more disruption in congress in their ablility to get things done. (paraphrased, but accurate)

Boo frikkin hoo Ezra!

Rovin on March 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I can’t wait to see AP in townhall mag in a sullivan Scott Brown-esque pose.

lorien1973 on March 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Not that I’m into that type of thing, but I’m sure that there are some ladies and some “sparkly boys” here that would.

turfmann on March 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Wow, that didn’t take long. Popups won’t be far behind.

Vigilante on March 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I received the first few of these magazines, I think because I was receiving NR and others. I was…less then impressed. But it had MKat column in it at the time.

I am wondering if anyone has read it recently – if it is improved?

Spirit of 1776 on March 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I just got an e-mail from Allah, he told me that the next time I use a mispelling to get around the site filter, I will be banned.

Anyone else getting these messages?

If so, it looks like the worries about creeping corporatism were justified.

MarkTheGreat on March 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Lord knows, we are only allowed to discuss subjects acceptable to our new corporate masters.

MarkTheGreat on March 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I stopped cutting down trees long ago. One way magazines are so last century. tarpon on March 1, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Newsflash! Trees ARE a renewable resource. I started eating spotted owls just after this mentality destroyed an entire industry in my region by the environ-mentals that are killing this nation with this kind of stupidity.

Rovin on March 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM

The use of “we” in the second bullet point somehow disturbs me… I’d hope you’d at least re-phrase the advertisement in your own words, or blockquote it! Secondly, you repeat some of the bullet points twice. What’s up with that? I’ve got no problem with your advertising Town Hall, but it’d be less obnoxious and more convincing if you wrote your own plug, Ed, instead of copy-pasting something from their ad agency.

joe_doufu on March 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM

So, let me get this straight…. someone (I say someone, because now we can’t be sure if Ed decided to do this on his own, or was softly commanded to do so) someone thought HA readers would respond enthusiastically to an infomercial in the blog column for a paper magazine? A PAPER MAGAZINE?!?? Oy vey.

trace_9r on March 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Wait. If you order in the next 30 minutes, we’ll give you a second subscription at NO CHARGE!!

PappaMac on March 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Anyone else getting these messages?

If so, it looks like the worries about creeping corporatism were justified.

MarkTheGreat on March 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Oh no!

How do I update my email current address at HA? My old email gets tons of spam, which I just delete.

Don’t Ban me, Bro!

TN Mom on March 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM

A PAPER MAGAZINE?!?? Oy vey.

trace_9r on March 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM

It’s a paper magazine that is now publishing VICTORY IN IRAQ! (Newsweek) Do you think this would get the same attention as a website?

just asking…….

Rovin on March 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Does the dead tree version have lotsa popups too, to enhance our reading pleasure?

Akzed on March 1, 2010 at 4:46 PM

TN Mom on March 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM

When you enter a comment – where it says Logged in as: [ ] Log out >>

Click on your username it takes you to profile options.

Spirit of 1776 on March 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Town Hall is a good magazine, I had no idea they were in print. I noticed it a several weeks ago at a chain book store and purchased four for my office & home to protest Newsweek & Time; turns out, Town Hall is really a good read (long articles).

I’m not sure if it’s the name TOWN HAll or the graphics, but visitors at my office (& home) always pick them up! Take that, Evan Thomas! :)

TN Mom on March 1, 2010 at 4:48 PM

MarkTheGreat on March 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Did the pull your previous posts too? So what were you doing? What are the no-no words? I’ve seen pretty much every vulgarity, profanity, obscenity, and Democrat talking point on HA.

How is we to know the limits anymore, what with the new emphasis on the glories of Gay Conservatives, now that TownHall took the helm and all?

Akzed on March 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I don’t understand most of the comments here from so called capitalist… There is really no such thing as a free lunch, Salem needs to recoup the cost of buying HA. MM sold it to them so our free ride is over… That’s life. If we want to keep it around then we’ll either have to pay to subscribe, support the advertisers, or subscribe to the magazine. Ed and Allab don’t work for free and if we want their analysis we’re going to have to pay for it one way or another.

CCRWM on March 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Spirit of 1776 on March 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Thank You!

TN Mom on March 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Rovin on March 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Yeah, there’s lot’s of people that read paper mags, I don’t doubt that. I just think they’re of a different demo than people who seek out news and opinion online. (i.e., they’re old, i.e., paper mags are on the outs).

It’s a free country, tho. Go for it, if you want to publish reading material for the doctor’s office waiting room.

I used to browse The Economist weekly at my old office… By the time the issue came out, the stories were a week old. In the meantime, I had read a week’s worth of development on every story online. What’s the point?

Newsweek does gets attention, you’re right… for a good laugh while I’m waiting in the express line at the grocery store.

trace_9r on March 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM

But wait, there’s more!

amerpundit on March 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM
Operators standing by now!

fourdeucer on March 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Act now and we’ll double your order for half the price!

thomasaur on March 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM

CCRWM on March 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM

What are you talking about? Unless someone can provide me with evidence to the contrary, HotAir has always made whatever money it makes off of advertising dollars and, I guess, merchandising to some extent.

Personally I’m just breakin’ Ed’s chops as I really don’t care either way. If he feels like shilling for his new bosses, so be it, nobody’s forcing me to read that post.

But for you to take issue with people being upset at such shilling for capitalistic reasons is simply misplaced.

russcote on March 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Newsflash! Trees ARE a renewable resource.

Rovin on March 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM

But landfill space isn’t.

Just sayin’…..

UltimateBob on March 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM

TN Mom on March 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM

My pleasure.

Spirit of 1776 on March 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Andy Sullivan and Perez Hilton both at Townhall.com? I can’t wait!

darury on March 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM

CCRWM on March 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Hot Air too big to fail? Where have I heard that before…

trace_9r on March 1, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Anyone else getting these messages?

MarkTheGreat on March 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Did you used to do it a lot? I wonder what it was that set him off.

Maybe he’s just tired of potty-mouth stuff.

John the Libertarian on March 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

A rolled up copy of Townhall makes an excellent bug crusher. The high gloss cover makes it easy to wipe off the bug juice too. :-0

GnuBreed on March 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Not buying Towhhall’s crap, Ed.

Blarg the Destroyer on March 1, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on March 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM

One of the few bits of sense in this pathetic, ungrateful thread.

jgapinoy on March 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Ahh as soon as I saw the post I predicted the comments, you didn’t disappoint ;-)

I especially enjoyed the various pop-up magazine jokes, although careful as we could be giving some mad ad agency ideas!

VeniVidiVidic on March 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM

FYI: Salem Communications has been losing money for the last few years. A bunch of that comes from non-cash losses (like the write off of some broadcast assets) but its not in particularly good financial shape. It’s debt is junk bond-grade and below (one of its ratings is CCC, which generally is viewed as default-level). Look at its regular SEC filings. (And Salem will announce this quarter’s earnings shortly, so we may be able to get a sense of this transaction’s cost).

Jimbo3 on March 1, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I thought this was editorial space.

paul1149 on March 1, 2010 at 5:59 PM

One of the few bits of sense in this pathetic, ungrateful thread.

jgapinoy on March 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM

C’monnnn… where’s your sense of yumor?

trace_9r on March 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I like the magazine. Been receiving it since its first edition. Good reading. One of my favorites.

I’ll continue my subscription until my wife lets me mount a flat screen on the wall across from the toilet.

Rod on March 1, 2010 at 6:27 PM

FYI: Salem Communications has been losing money for the last few years.

Jimbo3 on March 1, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Psst. Ed … Allah? Take the cash and pass on the stock options.

Rod on March 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Only when Townhall improves their website, one of the messiest around.

Dhuka on March 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Now how much would you pay??

Don’t answer, because we’ll throw in at no extra charge…the smash film that’s burning up the box office: “Bob & Carol & Ed & AllahPundit”!

As stated above, are there going to be ads and pop-ups galore now?

Stop the madness!!

cranbone on March 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Uhhhh… Funny – but I’ve been spending more time on AoSHQ recently…

Can’t figger out why!

alexwest on March 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Count to 10 on March 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM

What he said.
I can deal with it, but let me know that you know I have to deal with it.

phineas on March 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Oh no!

Don’t Ban me, Bro!

TN Mom on March 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Click on your screen name above the comment box.

phineas on March 1, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Click on your screen name above the comment box.

phineas on March 1, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Thank You!

TN Mom on March 1, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Akzed on March 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM

In this case, it was the S word and the R word. Which are what the south did in 1860, and the colonies did in 1776. Apparently those are concepts that are forbidden at this site.

MarkTheGreat on March 2, 2010 at 7:45 AM

But landfill space isn’t.

Just sayin’…..

UltimateBob on March 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Landfills. Making tomorrows mines, today.

MarkTheGreat on March 2, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Maybe he’s just tired of potty-mouth stuff.

John the Libertarian on March 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Actually, the potty mouth stuff doesn’t bother him.

MarkTheGreat on March 2, 2010 at 7:47 AM

NO you peepz do NOT want an online version of Townhall, because once you start getting the emails they NEVER STOP! THEY’LL KEEP COMING AFTER YOU, UNTIL YOU ARE DEAD! THAT’S WHAT THEY DO!!!

…er, unregistering is really really really hard to do. ‘sall.

das411 on March 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM