Open thread: US vs Canada for hockey gold; Update: Canada wins in OT

posted at 2:00 pm on February 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The US hasn’t won Olympic hockey gold since the Miracle on Ice in 1980.  Canada last won the gold in 2002 — by defeating the United States in the final.  Canada has lost once in the Olympics, to this same US squad, while the Americans have gone undefeated.  This may well be the most dramatic competitive moment in the games, at least for television viewers.  Who will win — the commanding Americans or the Olympic hosts?

When Team Canada faltered in the first round of the Olympic hockey tournament, the nation that prides itself on having invented the game held its collective breath. Not to worry: a romp over Germany and a rout of Russia put this star-laden team back on track.

Or did it?

Canada barely hung on to defeat fast-closing Slovakia in the semifinals and secure its place in Sunday’s gold medal game at Canada Hockey Place. Adversity could bring the Canadians closer — or exhaust them.

The U.S. has run the table, relying on perseverance to subdue the stubborn Swiss in the quarterfinals and using physicality and speed to embarrass Finland in a 6-1 blowout. They have no gamebreakers — the closest to that is Hawks winger Patrick Kane — but their teamwork and energy have fueled their success.

I’m putting my money (figuratively speaking) on the US, but I’m glad that my favorite two teams made it into the finals.  The game starts at 3:15 ET and will get televised live.  USA! USA!

Update: Team USA scored a goal in the final 24 seconds to send it into OT, but Team Canada won in sudden death, 3-2.  Congratulations to our cousins north of the border — it was a classic Gold Medal finish.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

Time to break out the Yukon Jack…

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I feel bad for the US team. It’s no big deal for Canada to win gold at hockey. But it is a very big deal for the US to win gold. The last time that happened was 30 years ago and they still refer to it as a miracle. My heart goes out to you.

keep the change on February 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM

The only reason the Miracle on Ice was important was because in those days, NHL players weren’t allowed to play in the Olympics. A bunch of COLLEGE KIDS beat the number 1 professional team in the world at the time, the Soviets. The Soviet national team routinely humiliated NHL all start teams and NHL teams in exhibition games in those days. So, the importance of that game has very little to do with the importance of the Hockey (which in the US is at best a distant 4th behind football, baseball and basketball).

American’s star athletes do not play hockey. Canada’s do. It’s apples and Oranges.

TheBigOldDog on February 28, 2010 at 7:42 PM

CANADA!

CANADA!

CANADA!

YYZ on February 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Canadian Club on ice!

Cybergeezer on February 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM

I hate to break it to you but Hockey isn’t very important down here, even in places like Boston. Nobody even noticed there was a NHL lockout until it finally ended. It ranks about 1 millionth in things we are willing to wrap our national ego around. Many of us lifelong hockey fans wanted to win simply to enjoy the national meltdown we would have had a chance to watch for the next 6 months just to make up for the constant booing of the National Anthem at games in Canada and the DESPICABLE treatment our children receive when playing in tournaments up there.

TheBigOldDog on February 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM

My neck is better already…..thanks!

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Congrats to the men of the Canadian hockey team… a game well played……but I wouldn’t wanna live in Canada with its government. Must admit , Obama is trying hard to change that. As for Canadian law, ask Mark Steyn and other lovers of free speech and conservative thought. OT I corrected a liberal protesting at my district convention yesterday. I didn’t punch her… I told her that Tea party members love the country, tea baggers practiced weird sex, something she would know about. Talk about a flustered woman….

MNDavenotPC on February 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Congratulations, Canada. Definitely a well-earned win.

DrSteve on February 28, 2010 at 7:50 PM

TheBigOldDog on February 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM

If your children are being treated in a despicable manner in Canada,they must be playing in Quebec,won’t happen in any other Province.

heshtesh on February 28, 2010 at 7:51 PM

MNDavenotPC on February 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Man, there is enough tears to wash my butt with that one.

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Why is it that we always try to rationalize failures? We failed, just like we failed in the summer Olympics when China crushed us at gymnastics and one of our gymnasts suffered a crushing, humiliating defeat by screwing up her entire routine. Canada doubled its gold medal intake over Torino and we stagnated, having dropped since Salt Lake. Our curling team was so terrible this year we lost to the UK! Oh, and remember how we were crushed at volleyball during the summer Olympics, losing to Brazil or something. Failures. Don’t rationalize them. It makes us weak.

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Who’s we? No American would complain about Curling. No American even knows WTF it is.

TheBigOldDog on February 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Canadian Club on ice!

Cybergeezer on February 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Made in my home town Windsor Ontario,as a matter of fact i was part of the work crew that redid the roof on thier grain bins 32 years ago.

heshtesh on February 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM

You are a nasty little piece of work, aren’t you?

DrSteve on February 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Where did the Al Quaeda hockey team score?
Did they bomb out?

Cybergeezer on February 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Congrats to Canada. *cheers*

ddrintn on February 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM

andy85719

You are a punk, now get the puck outta here!

lovingmyUSA on February 28, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Two minutes! Cross checking. Penalty box for you, ma’am.

Yoop on February 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Please let Crosby meet Oveckin at the boards and get checked into oblivion, amen.

I’m not a good sport…

Theworldisnotenough on February 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Righteous nail-biter, dudes.

Punditpawn on February 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM

You are a nasty little piece of work, aren’t you?

DrSteve on February 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Me thinks somebody dropped a bundle of money betting on the Olympic outcomes. Hope it broke him.

Yoop on February 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM

It looks like someone was always picked last for the pick-up games…

Andy, relax. Unless you are out there training everyday, paying your own way or shilling for sponsors, you might want to give the athletes that didn’t win a break. That is the whole point of the games, it all comes down to commitment and God given talent, but not everyone can win.

Be it a team effort, or individual spot light, I give all the athletes who have gotten off of their as%es to pursue a dream all the credit in the world.

Remember, the Olympic games suffered a loss of life this year, and a family mourns tonight what was to be a proud moment only two weeks ago…

… or are you so wrapped up in your bitter, hateful world to remember such things?

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I’m not a good sport…

Theworldisnotenough on February 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Actually you should be a great sport. Crosby is a great kid and everyone in Pittsburg loves him. Oveckin is a punk. I was hoping the USA would pull out the win but to lose to Crosby and Canada was not a shameful thing.

Could you imagine what it must be like to score the winning goal in overtime to win a gold medal? My God, what a feeling that must be. One thing for sure, Crosby will never have to buy another meal in Canada for the rest of his life.

Agent of the Cross on February 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM

We were treated to a beautiful hockey game today,i tip my hat to both teams.

heshtesh on February 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Congrats to Miller on the MVP, although I’m certain it means next to nothing to him since it’s a team sport.

Sucks to be in goal, but I guess it comes with the territory.

DrSteve on February 28, 2010 at 8:14 PM

OK then…

Now on to the next Open Thread!

Drinking game for the Closing Ceremonies…

Over produced gayfest or a winning nation, humble, and honorable?

I’m going for the gayfest!

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Wow! If it’s any consolation to you Yanks, I haven’t had neck muscles tighten like this since the ‘72 series. The game was perfection.

Canada and the US – brothers in arms on the ice.
westerncanadian on February 28, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Actually the sign read…Canada and the US -Brothers in arms, not on the ice.

Oops – I guess my old eyes missed the “not” or my admiration for both teams blanked it out.

westerncanadian on February 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Canada will do the traditional handoff to the next host country by giving the mayor of Sochi a duffel bag full of unmarked hundreds and a shipping container full of slightly used snow-making machines.

DrSteve on February 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Yes Agent of the Cross, everyone loves turncoats who play for foreign teams. I’m telling everyone, you ought to stop rationalizing failures. Is it okay to lose to some people and not others? Oh, it will be okay if we are surpassed in GDP because it was by India and not China. Right? Silliness.

Oh, and by the way, I really couldn’t care less about the Olympics. It is a stupid waste of money like the U.N. Nevertheless, if someone is going to represent the United States, they ought to win, not get crappy medals, crash into walls, cheat, fall off balancing bars, slip on the ice, etc.

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Looks like President Obama will have to make good on a bet and send a case of Molson beer to Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

“Gibbs also lost a bed as a result of the hockey game. He will be wearing a Team Canada hockey jersey during one of his upcoming briefings in the next two weeks.”

Sounder on February 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Exactly. So many of these events are won by hundreths of a second, I can’t imagine skiing for miles and then losing by a ski length. And then there was the Canadian woman figure skater who won the bronze. Her mother had just died a few days before but she skated because she knew that’s what her mother would have wanted. I think ole Andy never made it as an athlete and has a bad case of sour grapes.

Deanna on February 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM

I’ll tip my martini v!rgin to that!

FontanaConservative on February 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Congrats Canada.

Quick question…Would you have rioted if you lost?

F15Mech on February 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM

No American would complain about Curling. No American even knows WTF it is.

TheBigOldDog on February 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Janitorial ice hockey, right?

atheling on February 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM

I’m telling everyone, you ought to stop rationalizing failures.

OK if we stop listening to you then?

DrSteve on February 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Quick question…Would you have rioted if you lost?

F15Mech on February 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM

DrSteve on February 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Quit bitching about Sid, please. He’s a nice guy, and he supports the troops, in Canada

After the presentations, Sidney Crosby spoke to the crowd.

“To all the men and women in the Canadian military and to all the men and women who are overseas serving our country, I just want to say thank you as a fellow Canadian. I have so much respect for what you do, so much pride and I think we can all speak for the amount of appreciation we have for everyone who is overseas and serving our country. We are very lucky,” he said.

and the US.

Crosby made sure to let Lubash know how much both his support of Crosby as a player, and the courageous time Lubash spent defending our country meant to him. Crosby not only spent 15 minutes having a private conversation with Lubash in the Penguins locker room, but he also gave him a new jersey to replace the one he lost – complete with a personalized autograph.

When Crosby presented Lubash with his new sweater, the veteran was at a loss for words to describe what the jersey meant to him.

Following the presentations, Lubash and Crosby returned to their conversation, this time with Lubash’s son, Jackson, joining them. Jackson quickly became enamored with Crosby’s stick, which the center gave to the young fan, who was sporting his blue jersey.

Lubash later called the exchange with Crosby one of the highlights of his life.

vermillionsky on February 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

What happened to Hot Air? I don’t see any new posts up recently. Hello? Anyone manning the front desk?

atheling on February 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Canada may have won that game and the gold medal, but I have a feeling their players and managers know who really had the best team in this tournament. The U.S. outscored them 7-6 in their two games, the U.S. goalie was the MVP of the tournament, and the U.S. was the only undefeated team coming into the final match.

Getting to play 4 on 4 when one of your 4 is Sidney Crosby isn’t exactly a fair fight either. I know those are the rules, but Canada sure caught all the breaks today, and needed every one of them to beat a team that was actually better than them. I seriously doubt they would have won if the OT had been 5-on-5, and I hope the IOC will change this stupid rule before the next Olympics.

rockmom on February 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM

atheling on February 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM

me too.

vermillionsky on February 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Congrats Canada.

Quick question…Would you have rioted if you lost?

F15Mech on February 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Only if we felt cheated. Otherwise we would quietly moap for a week, shrug it off and sculpt a sports grudge punctuated with cackles and cruel whispering until we finally destroy you.

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 8:33 PM

rockmom on February 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I don’t know about all that, but I’ll definitely say this, they’re probably relieved it was a sudden-death OT the way we kept coming at them.

DrSteve on February 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Dude, we won 38 medals in these Games, the most ever. Got hosed out of a few more by officials and bad weather. I’m an American too and I feel unbelievably proud of all our Olympians. I have waited my entire life to see the USA win a gold medal in the 4-man bobsled. Shaun White is THE most recognized winter athlete in the world.

The USA didn’t invent any of these sports except snowboarding. Winter sports are expensive and difficult to access for most American kids. Just 12 years ago the US only won 12 medals.

rockmom on February 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

It was a fab game. I absolutely loved it.

I don’t particularly care about the Olympics, but this was absolutely incredible.

I’m Canadian. I know there would have been angst and burning in the streets had Canada not won…. And I promise not to call Crosby names for at least a week.

mjk on February 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Anyone manning the front desk?

atheling on February 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM

In the box with majors for interference, charging and tripping. Out in 10.

(Drinking games will do that)

Yoop on February 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I did some driving around Toronto this summer. That whole “polite Canadians” thing took a bit of a beating. My God, the way those people drive…

DrSteve on February 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Ya we don’t tend to screw around when it comes to getting where we’re going,during rush hour between Toronto and Kitchener it’s the norm to run in excess of a hundred mph.

heshtesh on February 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Over produced gayfest or a winning nation, humble, and honorable?

I’m going for the gayfest!

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Complete and utter a-holeness. That’s why I’m irritated by my country men. They’re being complete d**kheads about these games.
I’m glad the games are over so that they can go back to acting like the Stuart Smalley of the Western World.

mjk on February 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM

…during rush hour between Toronto and Kitchener it’s the norm to run in excess of a hundred mph.

heshtesh on February 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I may have to move to Canada. During rush hour in DC it is norm (and irritating) to move at 5mph. 100 mph? Yeah I am down for that.

F15Mech on February 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM

rockmom on February 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I shall keep these tears in a slender glass vial for rinsing out my ears at my leisure.

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

atheling on February 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Ed and Allah, more Allah, have convinced the new over lords at Salem to post just open threads over the weekends, and let us take it where ever it will…

Troll bashing? Olympic outrage? All things gay? What ever, as long as we keep the hits coming, baby, it’s all about greasing the advertisers!

It’s either that, or Ed, Allah, and the writers in the Green Room would like to have at least a day or two off…

… and are sitting back with one eye on us, laughing, and watching for that ban able comment.

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Dude you are starting to sound like Eric Cartman. Remind me to never to get on your bad side.

F15Mech on February 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM

rockmom on February 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

rockmom,

andy85719 is likely a perennial looser who can only feel better about himself by diminishing the accomplishments and endeavors of others.

Winter sports are quite demanding and to excel at them on a world class level requires an extraordinary amount of time and effort with a fanatic devotion to training in challenging conditions.

Andy has probably never been exposed to such requirements or conditions. Even those who come in dead last in a competition have invested time, energy and heart into a journey that most humans won’t consider and couldn’t complete. That is what make Andy’s attitude so vile. He is most likely the type that would shy from the risk at the first turn.

Yoop on February 28, 2010 at 8:52 PM

The Curse of Obama strikes again.

He made a bet on the American team.

Dhuka on February 28, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I am happy for the Parise family. His Dad J.P. Parise was a hockey coach at a hockey school I was at and was the neatest guy with all the kids.

If you guys here knew what he was like you would see no more fitting guy to tie the game than Zach Parise. Way to go Zach! I couldn’t be happier for you!

Conan on February 28, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Good comment about JP Parise. It should be noted that timely goal scoring runs in the Parise family. JP (Jean Paul) who played for the North Stars at the time was a member of Team Canada who played the Russians in the 1972 Super Series. Following the series, which Canada won on Paul Henderson’s goal with 34 seconds left in the final game, Team Canada played an exhibition game against the Czechs. Canada was losing in the final minute but with less than a minute left JP Parise scored to tie the game and save our pride. So, although he was playing for you guys, it was nice to see Zach score that goal in the last minute…I’ll bet he and his dad will have some good reminiscences about that.

By the way I am a Canadian living in Colombia and these Olymìcs were the first hockey games I have actually been able to see for a number of years. Know what’s weird? Play by play in Spanish

Blaise on February 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM

atheling on February 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM

This is how we disgraced ourselves last night.

katy the mean old lady on February 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM

F15Mech on February 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Heh…..it has been a long week in semi dread of the opposite outcome.

Actually, beating us and forcing us into two extra games allowed more familiarity with each others play and erasure of some individual egos in exchange for team play.

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM

It was an amazing game! Congrats to Team Canada, our boys will catch them next time :)

nwpammy on February 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Way I see it, the score is now 1-1… If they can beat us again, then they deserve the gold.

Wolftech on February 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Well, my best to your countrymen for showing everyone how to claw your way back from some setbacks. I used it as an object lesson with my kids this very night.

OK, back to work. ‘Night, all. Sweet dreams, dear neighbors, and congratulations again.

DrSteve on February 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Hey we let them mooch off our defense systems why not let them have gold. /

CWforFreedom on February 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Excuses for failure! Tsk tsk tsk. Instead of attacking me you should attack the people who failed. I never presented myself as a sports person–I’ve never played a single sport–but that doesn’t make me blind to failure. Admit that it was a failure. That is all. We should have done better. Oh, and does the “winter Olympics being expensive” excuse help explain how we lost to China in the gold medal race? I think not.

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Wolftech on February 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

They won the gold but I know what you mean. It seems odd to go 1-1 and lose.

CWforFreedom on February 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Hey we let them mooch off our defense systems why not let them have gold. /

CWforFreedom on February 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Ummm………. such tears will replace the vinegar in my next salad dressing.

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Wolftech on February 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

With a statement like that i would guess you to be a proud Liberal.

heshtesh on February 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

and erasure of some individual egos in exchange for team play.

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM

That works for me. It was a great series. Even though I wish we had won out of all of the countries to lose against I am glad it was against Canada. I have an in-law that used to play for the Winnipeg Jets so for a brief part of my life I was a Winnipeg fan.

Congrats again.

F15Mech on February 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

nwpammy on February 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Doubt it. I don’t think we will have the opportunity next time. Blew it.

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 8:33 PM

With rabid badgers.

katy the mean old lady on February 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM

atheling on February 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM

JE Dyer’s column on Turkey in the Green Room is a must read.
Hope it gets 500+ comments.

journeyintothewhirlwind on February 28, 2010 at 9:16 PM

check it out folks, my post(centristnet) on Frank Rich made the Atlantic! As did Ed’s —

Anti-Harkonnen Freedom Fighter on February 28, 2010 at 9:25 PM

This is how we disgraced ourselves last night.

katy the mean old lady on February 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM

What are you talking about…?

Acting like a 14 year old drinking your first case of beer again was a hoot!

That’s why I’m looking forward to ‘the over produced gayfest’ of the closing ceremonies…

:O)

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I still want to know what happened to Drywall. As the Honorable MP from Dildo, he should at least show up to gloat.

katy the mean old lady on February 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

In rush hour? Which route do you take, because it sure ‘aint the 401 or QEW/403.

YYZ on February 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

:O)

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM

OMG! So that pink feather boa thing qasn’t just a rumor.

katy the mean old lady on February 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM

What piece of perfection have you produced for our nation?

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM

YYZ on February 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Rippin the tar of the 401..it’s Bud the Spud from the right red mud.

katy the mean old lady on February 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Agent of the Cross on February 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Like I said. I’m not a good sport…

And you can glad hand Crosby all you want. The GQ pretty boy thinks the ref is his momma… Pfft.

Theworldisnotenough on February 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Like I said. I’m not a good sport…

Theworldisnotenough on February 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM

You certainly aren’t. Here, have a badger.

katy the mean old lady on February 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Agreed, you are not blind to failure. You are blind to achievement.

Some people try but fail. And then they try again. Then there are those who never try, and never succeed, but also never feel the sting of failure that drives them to try harder.

You. Are. Pathetic.

Yoop on February 28, 2010 at 9:51 PM

nwpammy on February 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Doubt it. I don’t think we will have the opportunity next time. Blew it.

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM

For the pail of tears from andy I shall put raw charcoal into mason jars, top them with andys organic sea water seal them up and consider the carbon sequestered til the day of doom.

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Like I said. I’m not a good sport…

Theworldisnotenough on February 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Ah ….tears both salty and sweet, a popular conjunction of taste in this modern world, delicious.

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Here, have a badger.

katy the mean old lady on February 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM

LOL

F15Mech on February 28, 2010 at 9:59 PM

I have a great story:

I am married to a Chilean and I live in downtown Toronto.

A relative of my wife was in Japan and planning to fly back home through Toronto. We tried to arrange a couple of days visit, but she could only get a transit visa. She would be in Toronto Airport, but could only stay a couple of hours before her flight to Chile.

Well, after her plane took off from Japan the earthquake hit. The airport in Chile was closed down, and she was given permission to stay in Toronto.

We had to miss some of the game because of church, but our church is near the heart of the city. We took her to church and afterwards we joined the celebration on Yonge Street (the main street in toronto, closed down for the party)!

She had never seen such a large celebration where windows and cars weren’t smashed. And she had never seen men without shirts, painted red, in sub zero temperatures.

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Like I said. I’m not a good sport…

Theworldisnotenough on February 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Sure, OK. Let’s see. Last year’s series between the Pens and the Caps. Hummm…Oh yea! Crosby’s team won. Now, Russians vs. Canada…Oh yea! Crosby’s team won again! Now, I love watching Alexander play. He’s the complete player. But you gotta beat the man to be the man. Alex hasn’t done it…yet.

Agent of the Cross on February 28, 2010 at 10:06 PM

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Andy I hope your health insurance will pay to remove whatever it is that is stuck in your rectum. Lighten up.

Agent of the Cross on February 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM

GREAT story! Thanks.

katy the mean old lady on February 28, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Congrats to Canada, I would have preferred that we won it, but it was a fun tournament all the same. Good Olympics all the way around and I will take the Medal count since Canada made a big deal about it with their “own the podium campaign”, seems like a big victory for the U.S, no?

gator70 on February 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM

OT: Did anyone just catch that stinker of a bit by Catherine O’Hara? I’d say it fell flat among the crowd too, from what I could see. Shatner was better but a couple of his lines landed with a thud. (When Costas has to explain a joke…)

RD on February 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM

RD on February 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM

It’s a shame about the rest of O’Hara’s bit because her entrance poking fun at the women’s curling championship (“Sweep! Whoa! Whoa!”) was great and on-topic.

RD on February 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM

YYZ on February 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

It is the 401,not Toronto proper,i was refering from Milton westward, and in the morning generally till just a little east of Milton.

heshtesh on February 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Mucho congratulations to Canada and also to the US Men’s Hockey team for giving even those of us non-hockey fans a truly fantastic time while we were forced to watch the game by crazed remote-hogging puckheads.

Goodness, is hockey always as exciting as that?

I’ve avoided it like the plague all my life & now I can’t even remember why! ;-)

leilani on February 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM

RD, also O/T: I was stunned by how great Michael J Fox looked & sounded. I just figured his disease had progressed pretty far & that’s why he’d not been appearing in public over the last few years. Obviously I was wrong.

leilani on February 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Ha, it’s been fun playing the misanthrope. Honestly, I think we did well, but it was interesting reading some of your reactions. I “trolled” for a bit, I suppose. No hard feelings?

andy85719 on February 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Thank god that game started at 3pm because any later I wouldn’t make it to work tomorrow. Still up in the air.

Zetterson on February 28, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Congrats to Canada! I know nothing was more important to the Canadian people in this Olympics than winning Gold in Hockey, so I am thrilled that they were able to do it in such a dramatic fashion, and glad our boys gave them such a run for their money.

Meantime, I can’t stop grinning about our medal count….

And the next Winter Olympics are in Russia…. anyone else concerned about rampant cheating at those games?

Animator Girl on February 28, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Here is a comment I saw on SDA from this afternoon. It’s only half in jest. You guys were great and we were honored you gave us such a game.

Our father, who art in Vancouver,
hockey be thy name.
Thy will be done,
GOLD to be WON on Ice as well in the stands.
Give us this day, our hockey sticks, and forgive us our penalties,
as we forgive those who crosscheck against us.
Lead us not into elimination, but deliver us to victory,in the name of the fans,
Canada, and the holy PUCK.
Amen
Posted by: Curt at February 28, 2010 1:52 PM

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Animator Girl on February 28, 2010 at 10:45 PM

From your link…

The hockey team’s silver was the 37th medal of the Vancouver Games for the United States, breaking the record for total medals won by one nation at a Winter Games set by Germany in 2002. This is also the first Winter Olympics in 78 years in which the United States has hauled in more medals than any other participant.

Go team USA

F15Mech on February 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM

It’s only half in jest.

BL@KBIRD on February 28, 2010 at 11:14 PM

BS you and all of Canada is loving the fact that the USA hockey team lost tonight.

That said I don’t blame you at all.

F15Mech on February 28, 2010 at 11:24 PM

is = are

F15Mech on February 28, 2010 at 11:26 PM

RD on February 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Pretty lame closing ceremony. I’ve watched every single one the past 8 olympics, and this one had to rank dead last.

Norwegian on February 28, 2010 at 11:34 PM

So, the Canadian NHL All-Stars beat the USA NHL All-Stars in the finals of Olympic NHL All-Star tournament. Aren’t you supposed to win the gold medal in your national sport? Now, if Canada beat the US in either basketball or baseball;THAT would be upsetting. So congrats to Canada for winning a gold medal in another niche sport.

Fed45 on February 28, 2010 at 11:41 PM

The closing ceremony should have ended with the inflatable beavers! hahaha That bit with Michael Buble singing our original national anthem “Maple Leaf Forever” (which I think should have remained our anthem) was great, a real fun way to end the night.

And being from Cole Harbour, NS, Crosby’s hometown, it was a treat to see that game as well tonight. The USA gave us a good run for our money though. Great game.

And after looking at the statistics, between Canada and the US, we showed the world ‘what for” in Medal wins this time round. ;)

George_Canada on February 28, 2010 at 11:46 PM