Crist: Don’t scrap ObamaCare, even though I can’t name anything good about it

posted at 12:00 pm on February 27, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Charlie Crist apparently wants to cast himself as a reasonable moderate in the Florida Republican primary for the open Senate seat.  That may be understandable with Marco Rubio’s rise as a conservative star in the national political fundament, but it takes more than gainsay to make an argument for moderate positions.  Call this a Kirk Watson moment; when the Palm Beach Post challenged Crist’s insistence that he wouldn’t scrap ObamaCare by asking him to identify anything he liked about it, Crist came up empty (via Newsbeat1):

Gov. Charlie Crist, a Republican U.S. Senate candidate, told The Palm Beach Post editorial board on Friday that, unlike many Republicans in Washington, he didn’t think President Obama should scrap his health care reform proposal:

“There may be parts of it that you don’t have to scrap. There are three parts of it that I would like to see scrapped: It would raise taxes significantly, it would raise rates significantly and it would take half-a-trillion dollars out of Medicare.

“I think the real issue here, as it relates to health care, is that people want it to not cost so much and people want to have access to it. I think there is a consensus of agreement that the health care that is delivered in America is good. But it’s not easy to get it and it’s too expensive when you do get it.”

Asked if there were any parts of the bill he liked, Crist said:

“I don’t think a whole lot. Watching the discussion yesterday (Thursday) you get a chance to sort of see more of it be ferreted out. You know, I’m the kind of guy … I’m pragmatic. The stimulus is a great example. We needed the money. Every other Republican governor took it, too. I was just maybe a little more honest and straight forward about it. Well, shame on me for being honest. But, you know, as it relates to health care, if there are good ideas, I’m willing to look at them. And I would take that same approach to any issue in Washington.”

Asked again if there were any parts he liked he said:

“Not at present. No.”

Not one good idea?

“There may be. There may be. You know, I’m pretty focused on Florida right now. I mean, after the session I’ll be more focused on the issues in Washington. But I’ve got to do my first job first.”

In other words, Crist hasn’t even looked at the proposal — which is a big problem for Floridians.  A major component of ObamaCare is the expansion of Medicaid, which will create a new, gigantic unfunded mandate on the states.  Governors around the country should be perusing this bill carefully in order to plan for the financial disaster it will bring to states already awash in red ink.  That isn’t just a “Washington” issue, but a critical issue for Florida taxpayers.  After eight months, Crist still hasn’t bothered to look into it.

Governor Crist, that is your job.

If that’s the case, then why is Crist even offering an opinion on whether or not to scrap ObamaCare?  Does he often just take positions solely on the basis of what his political opponent thinks?  Maybe Floridians should vote for the thinker, and not for the poseur.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hey Gov. i have got this big pile of crap.should we throw it away.NO NO replied the Gov. we should not throw it away.But Gov. what part of this pile of crap is good for anything.The Gov. replies not one thing i can think of but maybe just maybe if we keep it long enough it will turn into gold.Mean while the boys in the white suits will be along shortly to carry the good Gov. to the funny farm.So like sands thru the hours glass so goes the Gov.

thmcbb on February 27, 2010 at 1:27 PM

phreshone on February 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM

As an OB with full protection from the best physician run malpractice firm in Texas, the oldest and most respected one, I’d guess I’m paying 10 percent of what the same in NYC or Miami would be paying. Approx 12K. Annually. Happy Damn!

Marcus on February 27, 2010 at 1:27 PM

You know, Choo Choo Charlie Crist here is missing what I believe to be His True Calling.

Maybe when they end up current Infomercial Scamster King Kevin Treadeau in the slammer for fraud in the next month or so, Charlie here can assume his mantle and maybe become the next ShamWow spokesdude.

pilamaye on February 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM

My bad, I suppose, but his answer is why the regular GOP rarely strikes me as having much to offer.

This was one unprepared answer. If you don’t know, just take a pass, Charlie.

AnninCA on February 27, 2010 at 1:33 PM

As NOT having much to offer, I meant.

AnninCA on February 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM

actually crist, to be honest we were just planning on scrapping you.

ReformedAndDangerous on February 27, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Wow, it seems the voters instincts are right in dumping this guy!

Whats it called when a RINO is outed?

A Rinectomy?

Lonetown on February 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Voter Approval of Obama’s Presidency Reaches All-Time Low of 43% Post Health Care Summit http://tiny.cc/PQcJf

Anti-Harkonnen Freedom Fighter on February 27, 2010 at 1:57 PM

What a maroon Crist is. If he had run for a second term as governor he had plenty of time to make up for his love affair with BO, and then sweep Nelson out of office for the Senate. Just for being so stupid he needs to be dumped.

Jdripper on February 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Looks to me like Crist has decided to ditch that RINO label once and for all!

Is it even remotely possible that he will NOT become a Democrat?

Freddy on February 27, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Freddy on February 27, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Only in your paranoid little minds.

Squid Shark on February 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Arlene Specter wanna be …

This weeks polling … Crist is down by 18% against Rubio. Rubio beats the likely strongest Democrat by 20%

tarpon on February 27, 2010 at 2:18 PM

A strong argument that tooo much sun is bad for
some people.

Rubio will destroy this guy.

Texyank on February 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Epic flame out headed for a nice auger job.

T J Green on February 27, 2010 at 2:31 PM

This guy has no political instincts, what a tool. We don’t need more ignorant people voting on a bill that affects 1/6 of our economy. We already have maxine waters there voting, and about 200 other idiots. Criminy!!!

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2010 at 2:31 PM

As NOT having much to offer, I meant.

AnninCA on February 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Because again, what answers are we looking for from our elected officials. That’s right kids, “What can you “offer” me.” Ann, I’m not surprised and I don’t blame you a bit for that nonsensical answer. I have no clue what freebie I might be able to sponge of the working man based on what Charlie said.

hawkdriver on February 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM

wildcat84 on February 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM

War is right, but not “civil” in any manner; More like the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan; Hiding among the women and children to snipe from their cover.
It could get more ugly than any movie script.
The enemy will not make themselves evident.
We need massive civil demonstrations first. And a press that will publicize this activity to the nation.

Cybergeezer on February 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM

And McCain says he will back Crist???

mobydutch on February 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Okay sorry. Clean up on aisle nine.

Because again, what answers are we looking for from our elected officials. That’s right kids, “What can you “offer” me.” Ann, I’m not surprised and I don’t blame you a bit for hating that nonsensical answer. I have no clue what freebie I might be able to sponge off the working man based on what Charlie said.

hawkdriver on February 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM

hawkdriver on February 27, 2010 at 2:46 PM

This guy has no political instincts, what a tool.

Says a lot about the GOP that Cornyn went to the mat for this Bozo. Crist is the archetype “Deer in the Headlights” look. He makes Eric Holder look smart.

rcl on February 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

After eight months, Crist still hasn’t bothered to look into it.

Governor Crist, that is your job.

Exactly. And he’s clearly not up to it. Peter principle at work.

1) This guy not only endorsed McCain, he went and got married, all in hopes of getting the VP nod.

2) He resurrected the bullet train corpse and obligated the Florida taxpayer for billions of dollars for construction alone, not counting cost overruns and the inevitable taxpayer subsidies needed to keep it running because it will never pay for itself.

3) He appointed his campaign manager to the US Senate.

4) He cannot win a straw poll in his home county. Straw polls don’t matter until the sitting Governor loses in his home turf.

5) He has his hand-picked Republican Party chairman, who was ousted for financial irregularities, leak selected expense documents to damage Rubio, while he launders his own expenses through fundraisers.

6) He has bought the AGW dogma hook, line, and sinker.

7) And now he apparently hasn’t a clue how damaging this health care bill will be to the largest population of Medicare Advantage customers in the country.

I don’t care about his Obama lovefest over the stimulus. There’s too much else to hate about him.

Go Rubio.

entropent on February 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Let’s just file this as another thing on Crist’s list of positions under the category of “this isn’t going to look good your resume buddy.” How many more of his campaign staff will announce that they’ve decided to leave due to a better offer? There is nothing left to leave anyone wanting now. A good reporter would ask Crist point blank if he has had conversation with anybody from the DNC, White House reelection committe, or Obama himself. Did Obama promise to endorse Crist? Maybe Crist is the demonstrative type of a guy who really likes to be hugged? The kind of hug that endears a sitting republican governor to become attached to someone unconditionally. If I remember it correctly, McCain was a terrible hugger, something about his arm infirmity. Oh well, it’s probably too late to find out now because Crist’s affections are definately with Obama and damn all those conservative pundit torpedoes.

Americannodash on February 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM

This is why I sent sent Rubio’s campaign $25 and will continue to send money across the country to impact races on a national basis. It only takes a few dollars from each of us to impact these races.

Crist would be a disaster. I don’t want to break bread with the Democrats over their agenda. I want to defeat them. I reject them, their agenda and anyone who would potentially enable their cause, in any way. We must defeat them and roll them back and Crist cannot be counted to be a participant in the effort.

R Square on February 27, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Sometimes I wonder if he’s retarded.

Jaibones on February 27, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Crist forgot the 2nd rule of holes.

chimney sweep on February 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Don’t scrap ObamaCare,

And Cris wonders why he’s losing??!!!!!

MaiDee on February 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Charlie Crist is so done for.

chunderroad on February 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM

That’s it. You’re toast. Toodle-loo, Charlie.

petefrt on February 27, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Didn’t see this earlier, peterfort. The broad that lives with me always calls him Charlie Crisp!

Lanceman on February 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Every time I see Charlie these days I flash to that scene in ‘Monty Python & The Holy Grail’ where those monks walk in single file chanting the same thing over and over again and hitting themselves in unison in the face with a board.

Charlie, you’ve suffered enough. Just GO. NOW.

manofaiki on February 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM

manofaiki on February 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Or maybe this

entropent on February 27, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Anybody wanna place a wager on if when the MeanStreak media starts to sing his praises and hype CC as the best GOP prez candidate for ’12 ??

cableguy615 on February 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Take a hike Crist . . . you’re a thorn in the side of progress

rplat on February 27, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Been out trying to earn a living all day.
Did an Uber-quick search of the posts after I read the article: Cheese, Louise! I didn’t see the words “Hari-Kari (sp):”* anywhere!

BBB-buuttt, I kinda think that’s what himself has just done??? Say, “Hello” to early retirement Charlie! It was good to know ya!

*Not to be confused with the late, lamented Cubs/Cardinals broadcasting icon. (Quoteth: “For “You in Rio Linda.”)

Chewy the Lab on February 27, 2010 at 6:30 PM

national political fundament

Ed, I\’m quite confident that you meant \”firmament.\”VG

Voiceguy on February 27, 2010 at 6:39 PM

If he loses FL, he’ll probably wind up in the Obama adminstration.

we’re seeing the divisions between the bought and the free men.

r keller on February 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Charlie’s assembling the circular firing squad…don’t scrap the plan…there’s bound to be one page out of 2,500 we can salvage.

orlandocajun on February 27, 2010 at 7:17 PM

All Charlie has to do if french kiss Barrack, and he’s got a good job in D. C. That is, if he hasn’t done it already.

Cybergeezer on February 27, 2010 at 7:25 PM

He looks like he smells like Jergens lotion.

happyfeet on February 27, 2010 at 8:53 PM

This Crist is the Republican running for Senate? I’d say he’s nuts unless he’s playing some kind of ju-jitsu strategery on the Dems. But he’d be nuts to do that of he’s trying to win a primary. In Florida? Where word must be getting around that O-care means Robert Reich-style rationing on the elderly? So. Either way, he’s a nut.

He looks like he smells like Jergens lotion.

SOL, Happyfeet! (snicker outloud)

curved space on February 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Freddy on February 27, 2010 at 2:06 PM
Only in your paranoid little minds.

Squid Shark on February 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM

ahhh…Squid…don’t be bitter…just because you’re backing a LOSER!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA

jerrytbg on February 27, 2010 at 9:19 PM

lol. stick the fork in. he’s done.

he can forget about running as a RINO and an “independent”. maybe he should finish the job and drop the “R” and add the “D” and maybe (BIG Maybe) he’ll beat Meek in the Democrat primary.

lol. what a loser.

elduende on February 27, 2010 at 9:29 PM

lol with Obama allies like this no wonder his holiness is having trouble forcing his Chavista policies on the nation.

elduende on February 27, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Florida already has a choice to elect a Socialist Obama apologist in November and that’s Kendrick Meek, why vote for this one that pretends to be a Republican?

elduende on February 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Asked again if there were any parts he liked he said:

“Not at present. No.”

Not one good idea?

ROFL…and they say Palin’s a dummy.

ddrintn on February 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM

What’s going on with Crist’s bottom lip? He got that whole Donald Fagan thing goin’ on…

Sharke on February 27, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Epic fail. I hate this guy. He’s been campaigning for the Senate ever since he arrived in Tallahassee. Call me crazy, but I’d rather my governor quit than that he/she stayed in office but never did any work.

NoLeftTurn on February 27, 2010 at 11:59 PM

The people of FL see through Charlie Suntan and his RINO / Hug The Messiah perspective.

Cap and Trade loving, anti-drilling, Obama hugging RINOs have a ZERO CHANCE in 2010 or 2012.

Rubio will crush him, and the democratic candidite.

Cleveland Steamer on February 28, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Not to mention raising tobacco taxes by 185% in the depths of a severe recession.

Don’t smoke? This legislation resulted in stores laying off people and / or closing. Less revenue for the state, and creating a black market for smuggled cigs and dip.

Cleveland Steamer on February 28, 2010 at 7:39 AM

When did Crist switch over to the democratic party?

ray on February 28, 2010 at 8:56 AM

This should remove all doubt as to why Marco Rubio has surged ahead of the Governor.

bflat879 on February 28, 2010 at 11:34 AM

A year ago, squishes like Frum and RightwingNuthouse were telling us that conservates needed to have more socialism.
Funny how they’re not backing up their poster-child Crist when he needs them.

Mark30339 on February 28, 2010 at 12:13 PM

An empty suit poser of a Governor after having a real one just shows the damage of a lesser of loser elections to that post.

And now he thinks he should be advanced up to something. Good luck with that.

CommentGuy on February 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM

“A consensus of agreement”?

Heh.

Jaibones on February 28, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Man: Ah. I’d like to have an argument, please.

Receptionist: Certainly sir. Have you been here before?

Man: No, this is my first time…

Haiku Guy on March 1, 2010 at 5:35 AM

Anybody else notice the entitlement statement by Crist that got our country into the current financial mess:

In other words: Of course everyone wants to get something without paying for it or People want to get more but pay less.

Conservative in NOVA on March 1, 2010 at 8:42 AM

This is how moderates have gotten a bad name among the Republican base, all too often their position seems to come down to “I need to vote with the Democrats on something, no matter how bad it is”.

LarryD on March 1, 2010 at 10:54 AM