Breaking: Massive Chilean quake triggers Pacific tsunami warnings

posted at 9:11 am on February 27, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Chile suffered an extremely strong earthquake earlier today, hitting 8.8 on the Richter scale.  Damage is thus far unknown, but what is known is that a tsunami has been triggered.  Hawaiians are warned to retreat to the interior of their islands, and Australia is on alert:

People in Hawaii were urgently told to protect lives and property from a tsunami crossing the Pacific as fast as a jetliner after a devastating earthquake in Chile.

Tsunami waves were likely to hit Asian, Australian and New Zealand shores within 24 hours of the earthquake, which struck early Saturday on Chile’s coast.

Though notoriously hard to predict, the tsunami was not expected to be as devastating as the waves generated after a magnitude-9.5 earthquake hit Chile in 1960. Most countries, awaiting further data, did not order evacuations Saturday but instead advised people in low-lying areas to watch for further updates.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii advised that a tsunami was possible in the northern Pacific, including the U.S. West Coast and Alaska.

I lived in California for more than 30 years, and I don’t ever recall a tsunami warning.  Obviously, this is a rare situation.  The 1960 tsunami killed 61 people in Hawaii and 140 in Japan, but its height was somewhere between three and thirteen feet.  This tsunami is estimated to be considerably smaller — but still dangerous.

In Chile, at least 76 people are reported dead, and MS-NBC has the video showing the extensive damage. That number will unfortunately rise as rescuers begin digging through the rubble. It won’t reach the kind of massive death as we have seen in Haiti despite being a stronger quake, thanks to stronger building codes, but it will almost certainly go into the hundreds. Chile needs our prayers — and let’s hope that the island nations remain safe.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

You people are so easily trolled it isn’t even funny. But, that doesn’t answer my question. How much money are we going to dump into this non English speaking, therefore, backwards wasteland?

Blarg the Destroyer on February 27, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I wonder how much money we are going to throw away in that hell hole.

Blarg the Destroyer on February 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM

What “hellhole” would that be? I’d like to give you some slack, but it’s hard.

katy the mean old lady on February 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Canopfor, I just remembered what my sister told be about a small quake she experienced when she lived in Torrance. Some water sloshed out of her swimming pool during one event. I imagine that you would have to be able to feel the earth quake before it caused movement in a toilet bowl. Some water in the bowl could, might, maybe go down the drain without causing it to flush.

Pelayo on February 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Blarg the Destroyer on February 27, 2010 at 12:22 PM

You people? This post says enough about you. Slack time over , jerk.

katy the mean old lady on February 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM

9.0 32 billion tons Chilean Quake, 1960
10.0 1 trillion tons (San-Andreas type fault circling Earth)
12.0 160 trillion tons (Fault Earth in half through center,
OR Earth’s daily receipt of solar energy)

canopfor on February 27, 2010 at 12:04 PM

The 10+ is for discussion purposes only. It’s not possible to get beyond 9.5 or maybe 9.6. Rock simply cannot store up enough stress to produce a quake beyond that without failure. It’s a 10 only in the movie. But, 9.5 is plenty, anyway.

As to the water wells. Yes, in close. Far distances, not likely. I’ve noticed the water in my toilet sloshing before. It is actually being caused by the wind blowing over the vent pipe on the roof.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I don’t remember tsunami warnings — but I remember hearing on the radio, on the way to school, that people were killed trying to surf tsunami waves.

I remember it because that’s the first time I ever heard the word.

Tanya on February 27, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Oregon just got a Tsunami warning. This should be interesting.

portlandon on February 27, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Here in Hawaii, the tsunami sirens went off at 0600 (HST) as a tsunami warning. Right now, no evacuation of those in the tsunami evac zones. Also, there is no estimate of the size of the tsunami, other than it will be a “significant event.”

Hilo, on the Big Island, is expected to receive the wave at 1105 (HST). In 1960, the tsunami that hit Hilo killed 60 people. That tsunami was the result of a similar Chilean earthquake.

I’ll have a ringside seat to whatever happens in Kailua-Kona (luckily, just outside the evac zone).

Enigma on February 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM

TheSitRep on February 27, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Enigma on February 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Stay safe guys and please keep us informed. You are in our thoughts and prayers. All the best.

d1carter on February 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Blarg the Destroyer on February 27, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Backwards?!?

Wow! Are you behind the news! Did you ever see this in the Washington Post?

This week, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a club of rich nations that includes the United States, Japan and several European countries, formally invited Chile to join. Becoming the first South American nation in the 30-member group would be among the tangible signs of Chile’s steady rise since the 1980s, when it was in the grip of dictatorship.

As of right now, Chile is a developed economy and a participant in NAFTA, to boot.

Also, what makes YOU think that it is “backwards” because it is a non-English-speaking country? You might be surprised with the education levels of many Chileans.

Methinks it is YOU who are “backwards”! I also think the “wasteland” is locates right inside YOUR mind!

Al que le cabe el sello, que se lo ponga. (If the shoe fits, wear it!)

newton on February 27, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Oregon just got a Tsunami warning. This should be interesting.

portlandon on February 27, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Every time I see the Columbia I’m just amazed at the volume of water……

We got warning here in Eureka too. 1.4 feet, but who knows as it reaches the shoreline.

Rovin on February 27, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Here is a link to a photo of the Tsunami wave in 1960 . Looks like HILO was washed away in 1960 I hope they get those folks to safety ( lets all hope Ray Nagin is not on vacation there and volunteers to assist in the bus evacuations )

ELMO Q on February 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Actually, the 1960 Hilo tsunami only washed away the immediate waterfront. Since then the entire area has pretty much been turned into park space.

The 1946 Hilo tsunami killed almost 3 times as many people as the later 1960 wave. Most of the 61 deaths in 1960 were because people refused to go to higher ground. There was no warning system in 1946.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 12:53 PM

“located”… Ugh!

newton on February 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

chicago just got a seiche warning

chicagotrauma on February 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM

You people are so easily trolled it isn’t even funny.

Blarg the Destroyer on February 27, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Thanks so much for sharing that.

FYI the “backwards wasteland” of Chile has a relatively low (for the region) national poverty rate, less than 25%. That is much lower than the average for Latin America as a whole.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Bigfoot on February 27, 2010 at 12:21 PM

That makes a lot more sense. I stand sit corrected.

rmgraha on February 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM

My wife and daughter are on Oahu at low elevation but they are headed for the hills.

All cell phone traffic is down

Are you able to communicate with your wife and daughter via SMS (text messaging)? That still should be working.

Mike Honcho on February 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Watch the earthquake map for Chile as the aftershocks are showing up. You are seeing stress transfer and adjustment in near real time.

Also, more importantly, realize that past experience suggest that there is a very high probability that there will be an aftershock within the next 15 or so hours of a 7.8 magnitude or greater.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Blarg the Destroyer on February 27, 2010 at 12:22 PM

You’re right. “It isn’t even funny” to troll about a disaster. And I could tell you how much money if I knew which backwards wasteland you call home. Any place you live would be classified as that.

Deanna on February 27, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Yoop is a geologist, I are a mechanical engineer.

Pelayo on February 27, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Pelayo: Thank-you for the info,I just thought it was weird!:)

canopfor on February 27, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Deanna on February 27, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Would not be surprised if the home is high class, and neighborhood is privileged. Some people are just ignorant, and choose not to become educated. Also might speculate that said troll couldn’t find Chile on a map, if deprived of Google access.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 1:26 PM

You people? This post says enough about you. Slack time over , jerk.

katy the mean old lady on February 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM

katy the mean old lady:Sounds like one of ‘those’ people
from The Coffee Party!hehe:)

canopfor on February 27, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Fox just announced Obama to give statement at 2PM. Advanced press release says his birth certificate will be destroyed in the expected Hawaiian tsunami at 4PM.

NightmareOnKStreet on February 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM

As an engineer, its interesting to see that even though this was a massive earthquake, the damage is much more ‘contained’ than in Haiti (major difference in building standards) Lots of buildings are no longer ‘habitable’, but people were able to get out relatively safely.

phreshone on February 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Yoop:On landslides,wasn’t there a under water slide,that
extended a thousand miles with a huge tsunami,like
thousands of years ago,and on the toilet bowl,well,
I won’t worry then about a flood pouring out,haha!:)

canopfor on February 27, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Yep. Is that 6.3 one in Argentina a bit ago related to the one in Chile?

Deanna on February 27, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Hm-m-m-m-m:

Just noticed on the map I linked. Shows earthquake activity for last hour, day and week.

Note the lack of earthquakes in the past week, in a continuously active area. If this is an active depiction then that zone locked up for a while, then let go.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Wow, according to Wikipedia this quake is tied for the 7th largest magnitude of all time.
Prayers for all those in harms way.

carbon_footprint on February 27, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Yep. Is that 6.3 one in Argentina a bit ago related to the one in Chile?

Deanna on February 27, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Difficult to tell. Trigger for Chile, probably not.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM

active >>> accurate.

Duh…

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM

What a joke? Doofus in Chief could have phoned it in.

“We can’t control nature” he said, but he thinks we can alter a changing climate!!!!

Pelayo on February 27, 2010 at 1:53 PM

What a joke? Doofus in Chief could have phoned it in.

Pelayo on February 27, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Well Republican Presidents are expected to control the weather! How dare President Bush allow Katrina to hit New Orleans like that!

petunia on February 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Petunia, I thought Bush actually steered it to New Orleans.

Pelayo on February 27, 2010 at 1:56 PM

See? Anthropogenic Global Warming IS real!

Metro on February 27, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Having been through a 9.3 quake that lasted about 6 minutes, I can sympathize. (Alaska 1964)
What’s really fun? The aftershocks. The first one is almost as strong as the original. No damn fun. Then lots of progressively smaller aftershocks to keep you on your toes.
How long until some loon tries to tie this to AGW or the lack of piety somewhere? Danny Glover where are you? Rosie? Ah…Chavez will surely say that we were using our earthquake machine again and missed the mark.

Army Brat on February 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM

My daughter asked about how President Obama pronounced Chile- this is what I found at infoplease:

Encyclopedia Chile. Chile (chil’ē, Span. chē’lā) ,

So if the rest of your sentence is in English, should you stick with the English pronunciation of Chile? or go with the Spanish pronunciation?

journeyintothewhirlwind on February 27, 2010 at 2:41 PM

It’s serious now… Sam’s Club in Oahu is rationing SPAM!

Enigma on February 27, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Petunia, I thought Bush actually steered it to New Orleans.

Pelayo on February 27, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Bush couldn’t have steered it. He was on Lake Pontchartrain in his bass boat blowing up levees.

RedWinged Blackbird on February 27, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Please pray for my relatives in Chile…

Most of them are ok, thank God.

And please tell Obama that the president is Bachelet, not Bachelets.

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 27, 2010 at 3:26 PM

canopfor on February 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM

It’s 6570 mi from Hawaii. If you have google earth (it’s free) it shows where the Quake hit and its after shocks.

The satellite photos are not current.

DSchoen on February 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Hi

Please remember if there’s anything that needs translation here I am. I have been watching Univision today. Though please be patient, there’s only 1 computer in the house and my iPod, since I had to send mine for a new DVD drive (sucker didn’t work at first then it didn’t close thanks to me, perhaps some part was missing or broken).

I tried bringing back to life another notebook and it DID work, after a complete assembly and fully functional. Then the kids spilled strawberry milk on the keyboard and I had to disassemble and clean up in a snap. Now after attempting to put it back to work, it will charge but no power up. Don’t wanna give up since it’s XP. For the boys interested: Compaq Presario V2311 from the V2000 series.

Yeah I am a nerdy chick. I came out too! :)

ps: IMHO If I was The Won, I’d send 1/3 of what we sent to Haiti since all of South America is offering help. Unless, he wants to annoy Chavez and Evo Morales.

ProudPalinFan on February 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM

It’s serious now… Sam’s Club in Oahu is rationing SPAM!

Enigma on February 27, 2010 at 2:43 PM

What is going on there?

d1carter on February 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM

ProudPalinFan on February 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Well, that makes two of us! :-)

newton on February 27, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Enigma on February 27, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Stay safe Enigma and all Hawaiian posters!!!!

yoda on February 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I don’t know if anybody is watching but they expect the tsunami to hit Hawaii in the next 5-15 minutes.

Stay safe.

Brass on February 27, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I wonder how much money we are going to throw away in that hell hole.
Blarg the Destroyer on February 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Considering you don’t make enough money to actually “pay taxes” whats it to ya?

DSchoen on February 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Please whoever’s in HI and is a HotAir poster, please please let us know you guys are ok! What I have seen is not pretty, thank God not like Haiti.

What I saw and heard via Univisión, is that in the 60s they had a big one, thousands of lives lost, therefore they changed building codes.

Sucks to be away from TV when ‘puter is in another room. BTW when is Julie Banderas gonna pop the kid out? Is she having twins?

ProudPalinFan on February 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Here is live video feed from HI.

Discoloration in the water has appeared, and there are reports it is starting to receed.

EFG on February 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM

OUr household lost power for the past 4 hours.. now catching FNC, cool pics from way up high, although no reports of troubles, it’s all just beginning.
Anyone know if there will be any repercussions from Japan’s earlier quake ? I’m just start to catch back up.

Wow, water receeding in Long Beach CA, now, too !

pambi on February 27, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Yoop, USGS has also tagged location and magnitude on Google earth. From the Sat photos Chile infrastructure, buildings, towns, cities, suburbs looks kinda like S. Cal.

DSchoen on February 27, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Holy crap, I was watching this feed:

And they had some “expert” on the phone who started going off that so and so’s mother is a c*nt. I couldn’t believe it then he said it again! the announcer was cool as a cucumber and just let it slide. Weird.

WitchDoctor on February 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM

1144 (HST), water receded in Hilo, now starting to come back. Tsunami (height still TBD) should appear soon.

Enigma on February 27, 2010 at 4:44 PM

They are noticing the waters are starting to recede in parts of Hawaii which they claim is an indicator that it may be hitting soon.

They just showed waters in some places in California receding and they are suggesting up the North American coast that there are “low advisory” warnings.

As I type this the first wave is hitting Hawaii. Very small so far.

Brass on February 27, 2010 at 4:47 PM

DSchoen on February 27, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Had not caught up with them yet. Great view, Thanks.

I know of a geologist that works in Hawaii for the Pacific Tsunami Warning center, but haven’t seen him online. He’s probably just a bit busy right now.

So, back to the USGS.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 4:47 PM

6.0 new one in Argentina !?!

pambi on February 27, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Just heard that.

Brass on February 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Argentina- 6.0. Two deaths. Stress transfer. It’s a long way from over.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I am watching a live feed from KGMB of Hilo Bay. It is weird watching the water recede and then come back up…

d1carter on February 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM

That’s fer sure, Yoop.
Thanks for your expertise.

pambi on February 27, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Another feed.

I don’t know if anyone follows JP Penn (MMA), but he is also filming from his location.

Brass on February 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM

So far much less impact of tsunami in Hawaii than feared. No surprise that it was/is much less than Indonesia.

The quake that generated the Indonesian tsunami was under water. The uplift generated significant shock to the water column.

The Chilean quake looks to be mostly on land so would effect the water column much less.

That’s what it looks like to me at this time. That doesn’t mean that part of the subduction zone to the north or south of this initial rupture could’t let go under water and generate a significant tsunami yet. Obviously the zone is far from settling down.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Just heard that the second surge just happened in Hilo with no damage.

But on the same feed they reported there was some damage in California.

Brass on February 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Some damage in Ventura, CA.

pugwriter on February 27, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Ah. USGS seismologists have been refining their calculations. Chilean quake released approximately 500 times more energy than the Haitian quake. Sounds better.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Brass on February 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Thanks Brass!1

yoda on February 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Whoops. Look like I was wrong. That is no surprise. ;-(

The Chilean quake was under water, with the epicenter now shown offshore. May have been shallower water than the Indonesian quake, OR the upward surface displacement was mostly onshore. Time will tell in the later investigations.

It is usual that recalculations and coordination of arrival times at different centers mean moving things around.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM

There sure are a lot of intelligent conservatives at HA with low IQs. Thnx Yoop

thomasaur on February 27, 2010 at 5:24 PM

8.8? There will be a hell of a lot more dead than 76 people.

Jaibones on February 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM

A few more feeds. BJ Penn’s feed.

And three feeds here. Two on Hawaii and one on Chile.

Brass on February 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM

MSM Headlines that Obama prevented total destruction of Hawaii by three foot tsunami waves in 4…3….2…

cntrlfrk on February 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM

FNC says death toll 214 and rising, in Chile.

pambi on February 27, 2010 at 5:38 PM

cntrlfrk on February 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Naw, they won’t need to, he’ll come out and give himself credit first.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 5:45 PM

After a series of ebb and flows, seems that there was a one meter surge in Hilo. Haven’t seen much of anything in Kailua-Kona. Not calling all clear yet, though. Might be the 2010 Tsunami Fizzle (which is a good thing, but still…). The local news channel talkfests hopefully will end soon.

Enigma on February 27, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Naw, they won’t need to, he’ll come out and give himself credit first.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 5:45 PM

He already started:

He could have come out of the White House and said that “the American people send their…”

Instead he said:

“… for the American people Michelle and I want to extend…”

He just had to get that “I” in there.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Waiting to hear Pat Robertson explain what sins the Chileans committed…

crr6 on February 27, 2010 at 6:01 PM

There sure are a lot of intelligent conservatives at HA with low IQs. Thnx Yoop

thomasaur on February 27, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Nah. The low IQs are the trolls and the mission posters. The overall average at HA is scary high. I’m always finding myself getting educated. That old dogs, new tricks thingy is a fallacy.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Waiting to hear Pat Robertson explain what sins the Chileans committed…

crr6 on February 27, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM

He already started:

Instead he said:

“… for the American people Michelle and I want to extend…”

He just had to get that “I” in there.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Claude Raids could not be reached for comment.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Claude Raids Rains could not be reached for comment.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Sorry, Inspector.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Report from Honolulu: some people delayed evacuating their homes near Diamond Head-homeless O’bama voters had been scoping out homes for possible looting activity.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 6:20 PM

The gods of the AGW religion are speaking. I suppose Algore and his disciples are having a prayer circle this evening.

jack herman on February 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Reminds of of an SNL skit with Jimmy Smits, back when it used to be sort of funny.

He played a hispanic guy at a new office and all the white people rolled their r’s and used Spanish words for things, and he kind of looked at them, like they were idiots.

I think basically you pronounce words on the basis of whether it is hip or not. Like the new craze over Qatar…

Always bugs me, like when maps started showing up with country names in their native language. If I buy a map in an English speaking country, I’ll tkae the English spelling, thanks.

reaganaut on February 27, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Tsunami warning for the Hawaiian Islands has been lifted.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 6:57 PM

reaganaut on February 27, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Remember the old TV show SCTV? They had a classic takeoff on Ricardo Montalban discussing the correct pronunciation of “Cordoba”.

With plenty of references to “Rich Corinthian Leather” thrown in.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM

After shocks: 66 over 5.0 since the main shock.

That is some real rocking ground.

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM

With plenty of references to “Rich Corinthian Leather” thrown in.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Ouch! I remember….dated by us old codgers Del.

Rovin on February 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM

BTW when is Julie Banderas gonna pop the kid out? Is she having twins?

ProudPalinFan on February 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Banderas hates gun owners, and she hides her liberal side well.

Rovin on February 27, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Ed, I had an epiphany today. Seismologists–the guys that watch the earth shake–they have a good amount of respect from me today. I heard some female seismologist on TV discussing quake magnitudes, measuring, reliability, locations of sensors, epicenters and such, as well as tsunamis and predictive models. I thought, wow, she really sounds like a scientist—and then I thought about our friends in climatology and had a completely different reaction.

Is it funny we don’t have proposed taxes that would fund the earthquake proofing of just about everything in quake/tsunami zones?–now I know they already have building codes, insurance premiums etc., however, there isn’t this fever pitch of “Ohhhh NO!” as we have gotten from the Church of the AGW. Far more people die of earthquake and tsunamis than do of climate changed. Maybe one of the smart new bloggers could do up a column on Seismology vs. Climatology.

Juxtapositions.

ted c on February 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM

It’s serious now… Sam’s Club in Oahu is rationing SPAM!

Enigma on February 27, 2010 at 2:43 PM

It’s a no-masubi tsunami, eh?

unclesmrgol on February 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I’ve been following the earth quake swarms in Yellowstone Park over the past 2 months. She’s about 30,000 years overdue for an eruption. This could easily be the worst national disaster of our life time.

ronnyraygun on February 27, 2010 at 10:47 PM

ronnyraygun on February 27, 2010 at 10:47 PM

The swarms have been coming and going for quite some time.

One day they will come, and stay. :-(

Yoop on February 27, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Yoop, thanks for your informative posts. Good explanation on changing the old log scale.

ted c on February 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I was just off-shore San Francisco in 1989. The ship made a funny move when the quake energy hit us. We were some of the few that saw all of the local video feeds, since power was out over most of the city.

When we entered port the next morning, I was expecting more damage. But good building codes, non-corrupt building inspectors, and enlightened individual self-interest saved the day. Environmental protection requires profits to fund the needed precautions. Statism just can’t do it.

Everyone was a polite drivers for the next two day, and it took a month for “did the earth move for you” stories to die out.

NaCly dog on February 28, 2010 at 6:06 AM

So, with all this movement of the plates in a variety of locations, when is California going to get hit? If I lived in SF, I think I’d be relocating further east.

CC

CapedConservative on February 28, 2010 at 6:39 AM

CC

CapedConservative on February 28, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Personally, I would be also.

And, if I lived in or near Seattle, or the coast of Washington or Oregon, further east and higher ground. That’s the one that is really overdue and has the potential of being the USA’s biggie. Hung-up subduction zone with tremendous stored stress, just offshore. There have been a few shakers on it lately. Precursors?

Yoop on February 28, 2010 at 6:48 AM