Video: U.S. hockey destroys Finland, will play for gold

posted at 6:20 pm on February 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

Apologies in advance for sending you over to NBC’s awful Olympics video site to watch. Why they don’t use YouTube or at least MSNBC’s embeddable player instead of the glitchy Silverlight window is beyond me. I blame a deal with the devil, a.k.a. Microsoft.

The final’s Sunday against either Slovakia or what’s suddenly become a very, very scary Canadian team. As for today’s game, as lopsided as the score is, if you didn’t watch you have no idea just how lopsided it really was. Click the image for the highlights, and pay particular attention to the clock in the upper left to see when all the goals were scored. This was like having a 15-run lead after the first inning in baseball.

us-fin

Comments

I missed it?

Damn.

Holger on February 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I did a double take when I saw the score in the first period at the gym. I actually felt a little bad for Finland, like in middle school when the other team would call ‘mercy rule’ and just end the game.

BadgerHawk on February 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Holy smokes!

John the Libertarian on February 26, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Please win. I really want to see the entire nation of Canada crying.

Mark1971 on February 26, 2010 at 6:23 PM

U.S. Free Fire Zone in the 1st.

juanito on February 26, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I DVR’d it since I had to go dig my FiL out from a couple feet of global warming. When I took a break it was already 4-0. I’ll spend 10 minutes watching the massacre a bit later.

JammieWearingFool on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I watched the 3rd period, the US yanked our bad-a@@ goalie
I think about midway through to save him for Sunday. Gonna be watchin that game!

bernzright777 on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

If the Canadians get to the gold medal game and lose again to the US, their wonderful socialized health care system will collapse under the deluge of attempted suicides.

Sugar Land on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Makes up for our Women’s Hockey team. That Canuck goalie on the ladies team was just awesome.

Holger on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Canada will win gold if the universe is functioning properly.

keep the change on February 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Holger on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I think out womens team did just fine. Both are very good!

upinak on February 26, 2010 at 6:29 PM

USA USA USA. Finland’s team has medaled in the past. Seems like they had first period jitters.

rbj on February 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Doesn’t matter, I saw the US of A beat Russia at the Lake Placid Winter Olympics waaaay back. I sat in the 2nd row of the second level right over the Russian goal. The movie, Miracle on Ice didn’t do it justice – awesome game.

Onager on February 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM

6-1 Usa. All the goals except for Finland’s were front-loaded. Half the game was watching paint dry. O well.

Apologetic California on February 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Amazingly, The Finish Goalie has been just as good as Miller before today’s game leading to some people to call this a pick-em game. The difference in team speed was just amazing. I can’t wait for Sunday…(assuming the Canadian win tonight – game starts at 9pm on CNBC)

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Why they don’t use YouTube or at least —->MS<—-NBC’s embeddable player instead of the glitchy Silverlight window is beyond me. I blame a deal with the devil, a.k.a. Microsoft.

DaveS on February 26, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Finland? Is that still a country?

Cicero43 on February 26, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Crap, now it looks like I won’t be visiting Hot Air again until after the Olympics are over now.

JeffinSac on February 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM

USA USA USA!!!! I didn’t find out NBC was airing this game live on the West Coast until 10 minutes too late… the score was already 4-0. Ouch. Beat Canada! Beat Canada!

El_Terrible on February 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I think out womens team did just fine. Both are very good!

upinak on February 26, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Oh, the USA Team did good but the Canuck goalie was simply incredible.

The Canadian men team destroyed the Russians. The Final Score was a low scoring football game, 7-3. They are not going to be easy. We allowed to many shot attempts and it was only thanks to Miller that the Canadian men didn’t win last time.

Holger on February 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM

If the USA’s Mens Hockey Team should win the Gold…

… I hope they show as much class as the Candadian’s Women Team, and bring some hookers out on the ice.

Seven Percent Solution on February 26, 2010 at 6:36 PM

In case there are any Finns reading HotAir: Satan Perkelle!

My guess is that we’ll meet Slovakia in the final. The Russian were way overrated, the Slovakians are way underrated. Their win over nr.2 seed Sweden was more impressive than the Candian win over Russia in my opinion.

Norwegian on February 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Norwegian on February 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Yep.
Slovakians are scary. they remind me of the Czech team that won it all. Very patient and disciplined. Canada could be in for a fight

AntonDomi on February 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Why would they schedule this match up when everyone was still at work?

Zorro on February 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Miikka Kiprusoff must have been out partying all night! He can head back to Calgary now…there is no way they are putting him out there for the bronze medal game. He’s actually a decent goalie, but he is going to be in hot water with his countrymen for a long time for this. Because of the performance obviously, but also because he said he wouldn’t play for the team at all unless he was the starter.

stldave on February 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I hope that Slovakia beats Canada. It would destroy them to not even make it to the medal round. Good, lazy bum hosers. USA! USA! Slovakia! Slovakia!

KillerKane on February 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I think its entirely possible that Slovakia can beat Canada tonight. The iffense of Gaberik, Demetri, and Hossa have been way underestimated.

jbh45 on February 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM

iffense = offense

jbh45 on February 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I love it!!! We are guaranteed to finish higher than anyone thought..I’d love to beat Canada twice! It’s obvious the refs are NHL since Crosby was whining (as always) to them when we beat them…funny how times change…I actually wanted Russia to beat Canada…just because of the NHL players on each team…but the US always comes first!

DCJeff on February 26, 2010 at 6:46 PM

jbh45 on February 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Chara on D and Halak has been good in goal too. I still think Canada will win though, they are loaded! Hope it’s a good physical game no matter who wins…wear em’ down a bit!

stldave on February 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM

We have a home town boy on that hockey team here in Central Wis, Joe Pavelski. USA, USA!

wi farmgirl on February 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Aren’t Canad and Russia playing tonight?

Holger on February 26, 2010 at 6:48 PM

I mean Canada and the Slovaks?

Holger on February 26, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Holger on February 26, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Its Canada v Slovakia.

jbh45 on February 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I mean Canada and the Slovaks?

Holger on February 26, 2010 at 6:48 PM

yep, its in 2 hours.

jbh45 on February 26, 2010 at 6:50 PM

All the “experts” before the games picked:

Gold: Canada
Silver/Bronze: Russia or Sweden

Team USA was told to be too young. Uh, I guess the “experts” should stop drinking moosehead beer before the games.

jbh45 on February 26, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Well you know what they say, nice Finnish guys last.

RDuke on February 26, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Why would they schedule this match up when everyone was still at work?

Zorro on February 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM

So they can show Canada play in primetime.

uknowmorethanme on February 26, 2010 at 6:53 PM

i really don’t like that silverlight thing. I have netflix and have to use it to stream movies and it’s worked 1 out of 3 times.

POS

ted c on February 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Sugar Land on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

No, those systems don’t collapse under the weight of demand, it’ll be the system breathing a sigh of relief. Suicide actually prevents them from having to treat people and is a cost saver. Do you now know why abortion and death panels are favored in Obamacare.

go USA

ted c on February 26, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Well you know what they say, nice Finnish guys last.

RDuke on February 26, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Comment prize of the day goes to….Rduke!

jbh45 on February 26, 2010 at 6:57 PM

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA!!!!!

portlandon on February 26, 2010 at 7:00 PM

USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA

mountainmanbob on February 26, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Allah,

Not MS is this case it is the IOC. Rights to broadcast the games is distributed on a per country basis, including internet distribution. As such any website hosting Olympic content must, by contract, restrict users by their National locale–something YouTube does not do. My company offered the first internet videos of the games back in 2000 and our offering was one of the first to be able to meet this requirement.

Hoch

Hochmeister on February 26, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Go Canada! Beat Slovakia!

Mary in LA on February 26, 2010 at 7:02 PM

wi farmgirl on February 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Us, too. Patrick Kane. Ryan Miller’s adopted, but we still love him. ;)

artlover on February 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Obama to apologize to the rest of the world for the USA’s dominance in hockey in 3…2…1…

fossten on February 26, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Finland might as well of not showed up :)

Whens the Canadian game? Or am I missing it now?

FontanaConservative on February 26, 2010 at 7:07 PM

It was embarrassing seeing the Finns flail as we took it from 0-0 to 6-0 in such a hurry: Score! 15 seconds later: Score! Must-see TV.

stldave on February 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Heh. Left him in the whole 1st period just to let the damage sink in, eh?

I was hoping for the score to be held to 6-0 the whole game, just to rub it in. Looks like they snuck one in on us however -

RD on February 26, 2010 at 7:10 PM

The Finnish are finished!

Steve Z on February 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Are you people having running silverlight running Macs or something? What are you running for browsers?

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM

In case there are any Finns reading HotAir: Satan Perkelle!

Norwegian on February 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Hahaha. I’m not Finnish, but I’m an American currently living in Suomi. If my Finnish husband was into sports, I reckon that I would’ve heard a “SAATANA PERKELE!”, but he isn’t and didn’t really care about this.

Hockey is serious business here and this shocked me. I wonder if I’ll hear about this from my Finnish friends next time I hang out with them or if they’ll just try to forget about it altogether.

Kissa on February 26, 2010 at 7:16 PM

What happened to Mitt on his way back from the Olympics? Romney Threatened by Fellow Airline Passenger

dnlchisholm on February 26, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Sugar Land on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Even worse… they threaten to give us Drywall.

katy the mean old lady on February 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Well you know what they say, nice Finnish guys last.

RDuke on February 26, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Undisputed thread winner!

katy the mean old lady on February 26, 2010 at 7:26 PM

OK, so I watched the first 15 minutes and it was 6-0. USA could have scored 15 goals if they wanted. Saved it for Sunday.

JammieWearingFool on February 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I watched this game. It was awesome and inspiring. Better yet is was a counterpunch statement to the Canucks lopsided victory against Russia. GOOOO USA!!!!

alohapundit on February 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM

…And their goalie(s) were sieves!

alohapundit on February 26, 2010 at 7:43 PM

/works for a Finnish company
// going to have lots of bitter coworkers on Monday, including my boss, who I have my performance review with
/// They all _LOVE_ hockey

strictnein on February 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM

You just know there has to be a repeat of USA v Canada for the final. They caught the Canadians sleeping last time and I imagine it will be a close final. Go USA!

But before that great re-match, however, tomorrow it is England v Ireland in the Six Nations Rugby and there is a rare opportunity to see this on TV without subscribing to Setanta. They will show it on the BBC America Channel live at 5am ET. It should be a good slug fest and a good spectacle until the hockey final.

lexhamfox on February 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM

In case there are any Finns reading HotAir: Satan Perkelle!

Norwegian on February 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM

as in Kissa’s case, I am an American living in Suomi, lots of PERKELE AND VOI HELEVETIN going on here. SM Liiga is huge and World Champions. Finland produces great goalies Kipp was having a very off night, very uncharacteristic of him. Hubby assures me he is cheering for USA during the Finals, just because of me and we think it would be great is Stastny and Drury gets a gold since we are both Avs fans.

Hubby a master statistician brings up the point USA won gold in ’60, ’80, and now here we sit in 2010, if patterns continue.

Off to watch “Miracle” in a few minutes.

pabo on February 26, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Indeed, the rest of the game was boring… Basically that final 8 minutes of the first period, and the second and third periods were uneventful… although Finland finally scored at some point.

But yeah, I watched this live… My jaw dropped each time they piled another goal on, leading to 6 in about 12 minutes. At one point they scored 2 in about 15 seconds.

RightWinged on February 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM

awesome! like lake placid when the US hockey team beat the russians then the fins.

anna on February 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Except for the Molson canned urine, here a good shot of our girls. Those cigars they are smoking, they are American tear dipped and whine flavoured. : )

BL@KBIRD on February 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I was in elementary school the last time the American team won the gold after beating the Soviets (yes! the USSR and USA were deep in the Cold War then). My home room teacher turned off the lights and turned on the game. I didn’t understand why then.

Now I know.

madmonkphotog on February 26, 2010 at 8:52 PM

No one should forget that before the US beat the Russians at Lake Placid, Team Canada beat them in the ’73 Summit On Ice, still perhaps the greatest sporting event in Canadian history. When we hear Americans crow about Lake Placid, we yawn, “Been there, done that.”

The Canuck vs. Czech game is now on. 2-0 Canada.

The difference between the last game between our teams and the one on Sunday is goal tending. Our goalie, one of the greats, wasn’t on his game and let in some soft goals. Yours was excellent. But now we have another of the greats in net, who is on his game these days.

I know that you guys want to see your team win against us because everyone wants to see his hometown team beat the best.

And, at least in hockey, we are the best.

I love America and Americans, but you don’t stand a chance Sunday.

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Only slightly OT: What a bone-headed move by Apolo Ohno in the 500m Short Track finals.

IMO Ohno just cost Tremblay the silver medal, and himself the bronze.

If he’d just stayed on the course the Korean would’ve spun out and the other three would’ve sailed across the finish line.

RD on February 26, 2010 at 10:29 PM

For our friends in Finland…

mankai on February 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM

It seems Olberman has been following the games:

But let me ask all of you who play hockey: How many black faces do you see on your team? How many Hispanics, Asians, gays? Where are these people? Surely, there must be blacks who can body check for this racist nation. Surely there must be Hispanics who can skate backwards. Surely there must be people of all colors and creeds who believe in playing the trap and goalie screening. Where are they? Where are they?

Do you suppose they agree with you that they’ve just chosen to play their own separate sports, that they’re not your hockey team because they have a game of their own to go to? Sirs, (and madames in the women’s teams), when are you going to admit that the real reason for the popularity of hockey is to watch white people knock around small black pucks around with sticks.

Have you no shame?

(My poor attempt at satire)

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

It is now 3-0, and the crowd is chanting:

We want USA!
We want USA!

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Slovakia made a valiant effort in the third period, scoring twice to bring them within a goal. Sadly, Canada wins and moves up to the gold medal game. USA! USA! Beat them!

KillerKane on February 26, 2010 at 11:44 PM

See you Sunday, KK!

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 26, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Sadly, Canada wins and moves up to the gold medal game. USA! USA! Beat them!

KillerKane on February 26, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Sadly? Your not afraid to meet some underdogs you already beat are you?

BL@KBIRD on February 27, 2010 at 12:00 AM

If he thinks he’s sad now, just wait until Sunday!

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 27, 2010 at 1:11 AM

It is now 3-0, and the crowd is chanting:
We want USA!
We want USA!
Johnny 100 Pesos on February 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Sure thing. Time to embarass the Terrance & Phillip loving Royal Mounties in their back yard once again. USA USA USA!

metric on February 27, 2010 at 1:43 AM

Silverlight Player works great for me! Try it with IE8

apollyonbob on February 27, 2010 at 4:36 AM

Wow! That was a major a$$whoopin. Get ready Canada, we are coming for you. Take off you hosers!

conservnut on February 27, 2010 at 8:12 AM

It just goes to show you that Lefsa is not the “breakfast of Champions”.

I am calling on the US team to smoke fine cigars and drink copious amounts of American beer when they win. We cannot be outdone by the Canadian women! (God bless their souls, they have more Testosterone than their French blood might indicate)

darkmetal on February 27, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Silverlight player worked fine here. Latest version of Firefox on Windows 7. Maybe your system sucks?

alteredbeat on February 27, 2010 at 11:10 PM