Video: NY governor sadly abandons race he never, ever would have won anyway

posted at 5:20 pm on February 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

I’m actually depressed at the realization that this is the “big news” of the day. It’s been a foregone conclusion since that Times story on Wednesday night about his top aide’s alleged penchant for punching out women; the only question since then was how many other aides would resign over the sheer scumminess of the cover-up allegations against him. (One so far!) But watch it anyway, for two reasons. First, the line uttered at around 4:00 — “I am looking forward to a full investigation of actions taken by myself” — is destined for political immortality. And second, you should have a reference point for the inevitable SNL parody involving Fred Armisen wandering around the podium and knocking things over.

To the extent this removes a guy from the race who could have blooded Andrew Cuomo’s nose a bit in the primary, it’s bad news, I guess. But let’s face it: With Giuliani not running, we’re not taking this seat.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Maybe not. But Paterson would have roughed up Andrew Cuomo a bit to help out Lazio. Now its smooth sailing for good old Andy.

taney71 on February 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM

^ Blah, I didn’t read all of your post.

taney71 on February 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Eh, if it were my state, I’d just be happy to see a quicker end to a bad Gov/LtGov era.

myrenovations on February 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

^ But I’m not going to give you any credit. You owe me a ton for the crap you write about Palin.

taney71 on February 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

I totally saw this coming, too bad Paterson didn’t.

Holger on February 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

But let’s face it: With Giuliani not running, we’re not taking this seat.

NY’s state financial situation is awesomely awesome. Why would you kick out the party that has done a SPLENDA® job?

WashJeff on February 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Why do we care about this person and what he does?

karenhasfreedom on February 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Obama et al hate other black politicians.

El_Terrible on February 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

NY governor sadly abandons race he never, ever would have won anyway
Feb 26, 2010 5:20 PM by Allahpundit

I’m sure he didn’t see it that way.

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Damm!t Allah, I watched the entire clip expecting him to literally knock something over.

BadgerHawk on February 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Great headline.

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Obama and crew asked him not to run. Paterson didn’t take the hint. Another victim of the “Chicago way”.

ROCnPhilly on February 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Obama et al hate other black politicians.

El_Terrible on February 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

There can be only one!

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

And where do the serious allegations against his top aide and the conversation between the Governor and the alleged victim fit into the “Chicago way?” Or was that also part of Rahm’s master plan?

YYZ on February 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Damn Rudy to hell.

On another note, my favorite Dermocrat scandal here in NY has been the City Council crook Larry Seabrook who billed the city $177 for a bagel. He put a 1 and a 7 on either side of the 7 bucks he actually paid, which was still overcharging.

chunderroad on February 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

yep, chisel that baby into stone…..pure gold there GOV, *high five* er, wait… missed…there…bud.

ted c on February 26, 2010 at 5:39 PM

O/T:

Is it just me, or is Hot Air loading a little slower than usual?

Rovin on February 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Sorry, the Brit Teaparty thread has more news value.
This is a suprise to, whom…I mean, beside Paterson…
My question: why did they assign a black guy to tell him his candidacy was a lost cause? (Yes, I do know the answer.)

Chewy the Lab on February 26, 2010 at 5:44 PM

YYZ

Never waste a good crisis! They may not have planned it, but they sure took advantage of it, eh, Canuck? :)

honsy on February 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Well, on the up side the Patersons can go back to frequenting the swingers clubs. Remember Dave, when you’re feeling around the women don’t have hairy butts.

Rocks on February 26, 2010 at 5:58 PM

YYZ

Every Dem has this stuff and worse. It’s just a matter of the MSM turning on ‘em whether they go under the bus.

Rocks on February 26, 2010 at 6:00 PM

From the long self-ingratiating speech I had heard on Hannity today, Paterson is too oblivious to his surroundings.

madmonkphotog on February 26, 2010 at 6:10 PM

MSNBC clearly identifies that Paterson “will not seek re-election.”

Did he ever get elected in the first place?

MarkT on February 26, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I could respond, but I have a hockey game to watch in over three hours. Must prepare!

YYZ on February 26, 2010 at 6:11 PM

The same paper that ultimately brought down Paterson also ended Spitzer’s career, when he was still kinda popular.

YYZ on February 26, 2010 at 6:13 PM

YYZ on February 26, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Spitzer was a pr1ck, everybody hated him. He got too reckless and arrogant. If it wasn’t for Daddy’s cash he would have been squashed long ago.

Rocks on February 26, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Enjoy that ‘funemployment’ line governor.

GarandFan on February 26, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Fred Armisen hardest hit.

rbj on February 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Fred Armisen hardest hit.

rbj on February 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Ha! This is the first time I’ve actually seen video of the real thing, and I was surprised at how great the SNL impressions have been. Beats the hell off their versions of Obama and Pelosi.

RachDubya on February 26, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Not in office by election, not out of office by election. A limbo governor.

curved space on February 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM

The Dems can have it – and all the blame too for leaving NY in the fiscal mess they created.

Done That on February 26, 2010 at 7:09 PM

how disgusting that andrew cuomo’s office was involved in this investigation. only the atty general can use his office to investigate his likely opponent in a political race. disgraceful!

anna on February 26, 2010 at 8:41 PM

it was fun for him that he got to be governor though I bet… and he has lots and lots of glowing articles from early on for having many scrapbooking adventures in retirement

happyfeet on February 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM

What Patterson supposedly did that was so corrupt is so much chump change to Cuomo’s corruption that he hasn’t been called on.

Go ahead, NY dems. Make my day by electing Cuomo. He’s going to make Spitzer look pure as the driven snow.

Mommynator on February 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM