Quotes of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on February 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

“Evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa at the the London School of Economics and Political Science correlated data on these behaviors with IQ from a large national U.S. sample and found that, on average, people who identified as liberal and atheist had higher IQs. This applied also to sexual exclusivity in men, but not in women. The findings will be published in the March 2010 issue of Social Psychology Quarterly…

“‘The adoption of some evolutionarily novel ideas makes some sense in terms of moving the species forward,’ said George Washington University leadership professor James Bailey, who was not involved in the study. ‘It also makes perfect sense that more intelligent people — people with, sort of, more intellectual firepower — are likely to be the ones to do that.’

“Bailey also said that these preferences may stem from a desire to show superiority or elitism, which also has to do with IQ. In fact, aligning oneself with ‘unconventional’ philosophies such as liberalism or atheism may be ‘ways to communicate to everyone that you’re pretty smart,’ he said…

“Religion, the current theory goes, did not help people survive or reproduce necessarily, but goes along the lines of helping people to be paranoid, Kanazawa said. Assuming that, for example, a noise in the distance is a signal of a threat helped early humans to prepare in case of danger.”

***
“The jury may be out on whether conservatives are less intelligent than liberals, but there’s evidence that they may be physically stronger. Last year, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences published a fascinating paper by Aaron Sell, John Tooby and Leda Cosmides of the Center for Evolutionary Psychology at the University of California, Santa Barbara. The authors measured the strength of 343 students using weight-lifting machines at a gym. The students also completed questionnaires designed to measure, among other things, their proneness to anger, their history of fighting and their fondness for aggression as a way to solve both individual and geopolitical problems.

“Sell, Tooby and Cosmides found that men (but not women) with the most physical strength were also the most likely to feel entitled to good treatment, anger easily, view themselves as successful in winning conflicts and believe in physical force as a tool for resolving interpersonal and international conflicts. Women who thought of themselves as pretty showed the same pattern of greater aggression. All of which means that if you are a liberal who believes you’re smarter than conservatives, you probably shouldn’t bring that up around them. You might not like them when they’re angry.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

oh! I R A ideot! Eye get it! Look! M R Ducks!

Chewy the Lab on February 26, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Too bad they don\’t make better use of what God gave them!

Ordinary1 on February 26, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Wait till Galileo, Newton, Lock, Descartes, Pascal, and C.S. Lewis hear about this study up in heaven.

Mojave Mark on February 26, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Ever notice how the smartest say the dumbest things.

GT on February 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Liberalism is “unconventional,” says a psychologist. Among anthropologists and sociologists, Democrats outnumber Republicans 21:1!

David Shane on February 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM

M R Ducks!

Chewy the Lab on February 26, 2010 at 10:33 PM

M arnt dux L I B M R dux

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Mojave Mark on February 26, 2010 at 10:33 PM

It’s “Locke”.

crr6 on February 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM

True strength conserves its powers for the right fight.

Only emotional boobs are liberal with picking petty pissing matches.

profitsbeard on February 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM

So … this guy is trying to say that a “smart” person would adopt a stupid political ideology in order to show how “smart” he is?

This guy isn’t too smart, I don’t think.

Liberalism is based on the concept of a static world, which is the world-view of dumb people. Anyone who adopts such a position would have to be either fairly stupid or emotionally handicapped. Take your pick.

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Strength lends itself to a belief in self-sufficiency. Self-sufficiency lends itself to a desire to increase strength.

Hard to argue that liberals and atheists are the smartest people on the planet. They is why they are so successful socially, they are able to analyze situations and develop strategies for successful communication. Except on internet forums. And real life. In truth, though, Hutch keeps using the same rhetoric tricks to corner his debate partners, and they continue fall for them, that I do have to think he certainly smarter in that category.

Spirit of 1776 on February 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM

“All of which means that if you are a liberal who believes you’re smarter than conservatives, you probably shouldn’t bring that up around them. You might not like them when they’re angry.”

I guess that’s a smart way of trying to say not to call people stupid to their face.
I figured that out by third grade.

NeoKong on February 26, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Strength through superior firepower, and since liberals don’t like guns it makes them the dumb ones.

SouthernGent on February 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM

If the study got a hold of any of our trolls~they would skew their findings.

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Ha. I just realized I posted on a red meat post. Bait meet fish.

Spirit of 1776 on February 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM

lol. ok now I know this egghead is full of sh1t. How unconventional is being a leftist these days? (especially in Universities?)

lol if anything taking principled stands against the leftists is “unconventional”.

fail.

elduende on February 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Just what the world needed, still more ridiculous pseudo-scientific statistical studies that don’t prove anything.

FloatingRock on February 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Essentially, conservatives are stooopid. Do you understand??? Now, lets pass my health care bill. I’m so smarts.

El_Terrible on February 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM

What would I know about this… I’m just one big MeatHead ~ a tool ;-)

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Let’s drop James Baily and Sarah Palin in the middle of the Amazon rain forest a thousand miles from a living human and see if intellectual fire power gets James back first alive!

Idiots!

katy on February 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Let’s see; YOUNG men, physically fit, tend to push people around more readily than others.

Could it be, dear learned ones, IT HAS MORE TO DO WITH AGE AND IMMATURITY, then political philosophy?

Or does that ‘rain’ on your biased parade?

GarandFan on February 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM

We liberal elitist intellectuals have conducted some studies and test and we have determined that we are better than you. Please, don’t get angry you dumb brute.

tommylotto on February 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM

If the study got a hold of any of our trolls~they would skew their findings.

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Don’t forget Obama…

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I know people who take things as gospel just cause the NPR report they just heard was preceded by the word “study”.

Usually when I hear that word interjected into any discussion it raises my skepticism shield.

Why does the left try to influence via appeals to authority?

Sharr on February 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Pay Attention Cons

Example 1
Obama = Smart
Reagan = Stooopid

Example 2
Biden = Brilliant
Palin = Hillbilly

Shall I go on????

/s

El_Terrible on February 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Wasn’t the Conservative Ann Coulter bashing liberals for not using some sort of IQ test? I guess American liberals don’t want to show off or something.

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I pick emotionally handicapped. These people are stuck at the toddler emotional stage. They truly think that the entire world reacts to their thoughts and actions. ex. If I drive a Mini-Cooper then I can make the earth cooler.

mrsmwp on February 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Just goes to show ya even intellectual farts can some times smell like rose pedals.

Rovin on February 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

So … this Bailey character seems to think that people who champion empathy over reason in law are … “smart”? Is he really trying to say that? With a straight face?

He must be looking at one of the lesser “seven intelligences” (LOL) of Gardner. Now, that was a tremendously stupid theory.

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

It’s “Locke”.

Liberals are anal, too.

jaime on February 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I don’t know. Technically, Frum, Brooks, MegMac, Parker, and Graham are “conservative” (in name only). I think that definitely has got to hurt our side.

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM

There are smart conservatives and smart liberals. There are smart believers and smart atheists.

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Will somebody do a study to find out why liberals have constantly try to PROVE they are better than everybody else?

Elizabetty on February 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

mrsmwp on February 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Heh. That covers most of them.

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 10:49 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM

With statements like that I may have to re-read the piece.

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 10:50 PM

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Well thanks for clearing that up perfesser.

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Mongo like candy.

CurpliTium on February 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM

There are smart conservatives and smart liberals.

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

That’s true, but the smart liberals are emotional wrecks, which is why they’re liberals. Noam Chomsky is brilliant, but his political ideas are totally subservient to his emotional problems, which are many.

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

It’s “Locke”.

crr6 on February 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM

It’s Merlot, sorry.

Mojave Mark on February 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Elizabetty on February 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

They’re trying to convince themselves of their superiority.

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Hey neuro, I posted this for you my friend.

Rovin on February 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

The welfare offices are packed with super-intelligent liberals. Same with county hospital emergency rooms and public housing projects – full of progressive thinkers.

jaime on February 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM

With statements like that I may have to re-read the piece.

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 10:50 PM

;-)

They are the perfesserial type of “conservatives” – emphasis on the CON

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Have you started that think tank yet, OlympiaAnn?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Whenever some left-wing politicians (atheist or not) come up with some intelligent economic policies, we’ll talk.

ddrintn on February 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Note that if you have a spine, you lose ten points. It’s in the fine print. Now it’s starting to make sense.

RBMN on February 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM

More like evolutionary dead ends.

ddrintn on February 26, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Conservatives:
James Wood 180
John Sununu 180
Marilyn Vos Savant 228
(Highest ever IQ)

Liberals:

Sharon Stone 154
Hillary Clinton 140
Bill Gates 160

source

carbon_footprint on February 26, 2010 at 11:00 PM

If the study got a hold of any of our trolls~they would skew their findings.

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Thread winner!!!

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Satoshi has a bit of a checkered reputation in academic circles. Probably because he says things like this:

Here’s a little thought experiment. Imagine that, on September 11, 2001, when the Twin Towers came down, the President of the United States was not George W. Bush, but Ann Coulter. What would have happened then? On September 12, President Coulter would have ordered the US military forces to drop 35 nuclear bombs throughout the Middle East, killing all of our actual and potential enemy combatants, and their wives and children. On September 13, the war would have been over and won, without a single American life lost.

Yes, we need a woman in the White House, but not the one who’s running.

RightOFLeft on February 26, 2010 at 11:01 PM

RBMN on February 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM

So if I was a liberal I would be even smarter than I am now? Dayum!

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Really…

“Global Warming has a Consensus! The debate is over!”

I am so glad that psychology is an exact science, like the rest of the political whores…

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on February 26, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Maxine Waters is a liberal.
Case closed.

carbon_footprint on February 26, 2010 at 11:03 PM

So if I was a liberal I would be even smarter than I am now? Dayum!

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 11:01 PM

No, you’d think you were even smarter than you are now… That’s how it works. Just ask John Kerry.

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 11:04 PM

They’re trying to convince themselves of their superiority.

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Or rise above their inferiority complex. Anyone who says “I am the best”, usually isn’t.

OldEnglish on February 26, 2010 at 11:04 PM

“Adoption of evolutionary novel ideas”? Like how so many liberals hold on to some variation of the outdated theories of Marxism? That one leads to nothing but a dead end of tyrannical government.

darii on February 26, 2010 at 11:04 PM

mrsmwp on February 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I agree, something makes them so incredibly gullible, it has to be psychological.

allrsn on February 26, 2010 at 11:05 PM

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM
Hey neuro, I posted this for you my friend.

Rovin on February 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I can’t believe I haven’t been to your site before…or maybe it was a night when drinking whiskey…

Have bookmarked it!

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 11:05 PM

In fact, aligning oneself with ‘unconventional’ philosophies such as liberalism [bestiality, cutting, killing your kids, genocide, peeing in public, homelessness...] or atheism may be ‘ways to communicate to everyone that you’re pretty smart,’ he said…

29Victor on February 26, 2010 at 11:05 PM

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I think liberals like to make emotional arguments as evidenced by yesterday’s health care summit. Conservatives were giving facts and figures and liberals were giving sad stories.

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Maxine Waters is a liberal.
Case closed.

carbon_footprint on February 26, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Joe Bidden…

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Have you started that think tank yet, OlympiaAnn?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Just leave alone.

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM

USED DENTURES! YOU CONSERVATIVE MONSTERS!

darii on February 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Liberal IQ:

“I am going to write laws that I exempt myself from, and if they fail, I will increase their budgets, grow the bureaucracies, and throw more money at them. After all, everyone knows women and minorities are hardest hit, and if you question me, you will be called names and I will tell a story of a letter I received of someone that died because you are a hater”

Conservative IQ:

“If you don’t work, you don’t eat. But if you work, you get to keep your pay and do with it as you wish. Any questions?”

Seven Percent Solution on February 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Hornet:

Leave Terry alone!!!

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Hey neuro, I posted this for you my friend.

Rovin on February 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Excellent post, Rovin. The GOP did do a very good job, which at least should have helped to boost their own confidence and that of conservatives who were looking for them to start hitting back with facts and the GOP ideas.

I still think that the meeting was a net loss, for the resuscitation reason we had debated, but we’ll see how that all plays out in the coming weeks. Other than my minor complaints about Constitutionality and the $500 billion in alleged Medicare cuts not being the centerpieces, I was certainly satisfied that the GOP won the debate, handily. You were certainly on the mark about that. It’s just a question of how much that will matter. I hope you are right about the larger sitaution. The Precedent is certainly unaffected by the summit, but we’ll see if the rest of the Dems have been changed, somehow.

I really liked your post, Rovin, and much thanks for the mention.

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM

USED DENTURES! YOU CONSERVATIVE MONSTERS!

darii on February 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Exactly!

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 11:09 PM

source

carbon_footprint on February 26, 2010 at 11:00 PM

lol would love to see Obama’s IQ, oh wait he won’t release any of his “educational” records let alone a quantifiable score on his supposed “supra genius” status.

Although the nation at this point thinks of him as more of a Wile E Coyote type “supra genius” it would be an interesting thing to see nonetheless.

elduende on February 26, 2010 at 11:09 PM

I heard this on my local radio station this morning, and couldn’t believe it.. Then I wondered if Allah would pick up on it…

Now why would I think that…?

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Damn now they have made my life really difficult. OK some help here do I quit my church, surrender my membership to the NRA, quit the Republican Party, leave Gold’s Gym, or cancel my membership to Mensa? Decisions…decisions….

Jdripper on February 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 11:05 PM

It’s more like a personal library, than a blogsite lov, good place to practice. Thanks for the bk-mark.

Rovin on February 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 11:10 PM

what’s up lovingmyUSA?

elduende on February 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I should note… since this is relevant… I have a relatively high IQ (if you trust the methodology)… and I used to be an evolutionist… and I used to be a Democrat…

IQ is not a measure of one’s ability to apply facts to forming opinions. Liberals generally do not make fact-based arguments, they generally rely on emotion-based anecdotes (see the Obamacare Summit).

I am who I am today because logic has driven me there, not because I started with a conclusion and want to force my conclusions on others. Economics, history, science, sociology… unadulterated by an agenda… argue for conservatism. IQ is inconsequential once one decides on a desired end.

I’m sure Margaret Sanger had a high IQ… but she saw blacks as inferior and her politics and “science” were polluted by her emotions and personal prejudices… her IQ only allowed her to successfully disguise her true agenda… it had nothing to do with her reaching her conclusions… she started with them.

This study’s conclusions are easily refuted… all we need to observe is 500 people with high IQs who are liberals and 500 people with high IQs who are conservatives… (and 500 and 500 with low IQs)… and the correlation is severely weakened.

mankai on February 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Hornet:

Leave Terry alone!!!

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM

One has only to read the drooling trolls on this site to realize that the hypothesis is not true.

Dhuka on February 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Have you started that think tank yet, OlympiaAnn?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM
Just leave alone.

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM

What?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Feisty, tonight ;-)

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Well…

At least this issue is settled!

Seven Percent Solution on February 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Yep. That is the situation, in a nutshell. Liberalism is about emotionalism. And those parts of liberal ideologies that are logical are based on the simple-minded concept of a static, unchanging world. That is why Bailey’s contention that smart people would want to adopt emotional ideologies, or ideologies based on static world-views, which are childish in the extreme (as mrsmwp corrrectly pointed out) in order to show how smart they are makes no sense. But I guess it makes Bailey feel good …

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM

lol. succinct.

elduende on February 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM

I don’t get it.

Ronnie on February 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM

What?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Well, at least didn’t say talk to hand.

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Care to enlighten us as to what this is all about?

darii on February 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Idiots!

katy on February 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Great point. Common sense, preparedness and guts always trump egghead intellectualism.

atheling on February 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Typical meme from the Left now wrapped in a new, improved, shiny, and “scientific” package: Conservatives are strong, caveman dolts with a Darwin-type “Survival of the Fittest” DNA, and Liberals are “stronger” in the mind and intellectual giants who survive with their intelligence.

Get it?

This is simply Olbermann wrapped in the “bona-fides” of scientific study.

I am getting so tired of this same old story line being re-wrapped and presented over and over and over.

For all you folks who want the synopsis: Conservatives (especially white males) are kinda’ stupid and you shouldn’t get them mad, because they are strong like the way a gorilla is and they might hurt you. In fact, if they are tea-baggers, they will probably beat you up and shoot you.

Now can we move on? We understand this completely.

Opposite Day on February 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM
Care to enlighten us as to what this is all about?

darii on February 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:20 PM

So now I’m stupid, racist, astroturf, sexists, clinger, gun grabbing, hick, uh… what next?

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Anyone who embraces the liberal mentality is nothing but a dumb ass, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand this.

beachgirlusa on February 26, 2010 at 11:20 PM

The Precedent is certainly unaffected by the summit, but we’ll see if the rest of the Dems have been changed, somehow. neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM

We don’t need all the rest, just a few more will suffice in creating perpetual turmoil and confusion. The more the Dems look at the reality that their final decision may will put an end to their careers—all the better.

Rovin on February 26, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I might not have as high an IQ as any liberal but I’m still right.

kahall on February 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM

What?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM

If you don’t like what I have to say just ignore my comments. That is all.

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Reading over Dr. Kanazawa’s blog at Psychology Today, turns out he’s actually pretty conservative. Besides his apparent endorsement of Ann Coulter for president, he’s a fan of Sarah Palin. He posted a persuasive argument that universal health care isn’t a right. He’s an outspoken critic of political correctness, “modern feminism,” and Islam. Maybe there are two Satoshi Kanazawas at the London School of Economics.

RightOFLeft on February 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 11:20 PM

You’re old, you want the right to marry your sister, and you have no teeth…because you’re not smart enough to steal them from your dead sister.

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 11:20 PM

You don’t like to share. Or is that covered under clinger?

kahall on February 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM

What?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM
If you don’t like what I have to say just ignore my comments. That is all.

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Fine

darii on February 26, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Wonder who Rocks more. Cons or Libs? I am getting the study together right now.

kahall on February 26, 2010 at 11:23 PM

If you don’t like what I have to say just ignore my comments. That is all.

terryannonline on February 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM

You could practice what you preach and stop following Beck on twitter (I would have said to stop listening/watching his show, but I don’t think that’s a problem)

MeatHeadinCA on February 26, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Wonder who Rocks more. Cons or Libs? I am getting the study together right now.

kahall on February 26, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Around here, you’d do better to find the answer to: Who DRINKS more? Cons or Libs?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM