Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on February 26, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Sometimes, when a speaker tries telling a story to illuminate a point they want to make, they end up illuminating themselves more than any moral of their tale. Barack Obama fell into that trap yesterday during the health-care summit when he tried to argue that some insurance policies are not equal. As if that wasn’t obvious enough, President Obama then made it clear that he doesn’t get it at all. Greg Hengler captures the moment for Townhall:

When I was young, just got out of college, I had to buy auto insurance. I had a beat-up old car. And I won’t name the name of the insurance company, but there was a company — let’s call it Acme Insurance in Illinois. And I was paying my premiums every month. After about six months I got rear-ended and I called up Acme and said, I’d like to see if I can get my car repaired, and they laughed at me over the phone because really this was set up not to actually provide insurance; what it was set up was to meet the legal requirements. But it really wasn’t serious insurance.

Now, it’s one thing if you’ve got an old beat-up car that you can’t get fixed. It’s another thing if your kid is sick, or you’ve got breast cancer.

Why would they have laughed at a Harvard graduate who tried to file a claim? Because Obama hadn’t bought collision insurance.  The only insurance drivers in most states have to carry is liability insurance, to cover damage they do to the cars of other drivers.  Obama explained in this clip that he only bought the legal minimum, not collision or comprehensive, which would have covered his damage.  When people buy insurance, it’s made very clear exactly what it covers.  Most drivers can understand it … even the Harvard Law grads.  That may have been why “Acme” laughed when Obama attempted to file a collision claim when he hadn’t bothered to buy that policy.

One more point: a rear-end collision is almost universally presumed to be the fault of the driver who hits the rear end of the other.  Obama should have been calling that driver’s insurance company … if this actually ever happened at all.

If this anecdote proves anything, it’s that Obama never learned a thing about insurance — hardly the man we’d want to have remaking the entire health-insurance sector.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yep just as I expected – an Ed Post. A good Post

Not a allah “wonking, blowjob, fingering” Pundit Post.

(for those that don’t know, allah likes the word wonking, look it up on google, top hit, urbandictionary)

Good job Ed, keen

father on February 26, 2010 at 3:58 PM

What we have here is a failure to communicate…..

highninside on February 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Obama does ignorance with such eloquence!

Cybergeezer on February 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Obama:

“There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who are not good at math, and those who aren’t!”

Cybergeezer on February 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM

As this was airing live yesterday, I commented the same three points (comprehensive, liability, and who’s at fault) on that 5000+ comment thread.

I’m like, dude – I’m just over half your age, but know more about car insurance than you!

SnowSun on February 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM

What we have here is a failure to communicate…..

highninside on February 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM

That seems to be the story of his life since the moment he was concieved.

Franklyn on February 26, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Since everything Obama touches seems to go in reverse we shouldn’t assume the other driver ran into the rear of his car.

chickasaw42 on February 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Every time I think he can’t be any stupider, he goes and proves me wrong.

franksalterego on February 26, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Insurance company had to be ALL-STATIST

chickasaw42 on February 26, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Don’t forget –

‘Poor’ Obama, who bears the burden for being so bright, needs to say things in simpler terms for us folks.

He can’t complicate the story too much, otherwise, we’s gonna be too confused.

Sir Napsalot on February 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
When is any MSM going to admit he is a FOOL ?

IowaWoman on February 26, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Q. Why did Obama go to Hahvahd Lawr Skool?
A. Because he flunked out of Ringling Bros. Clown Academy.

Cybergeezer on February 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Well, so much for the ‘I’m the smartest man in the room’ argument.

But you already knew that.

Except for the trolls, of course.

|||||||

And, Iowahawk strikes again.

CPT. Charles on February 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM

So do we REALLY need health insurance if we have collision insurance?

Star20 on February 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM

this is so stupid I can’t even begin to explain the diff between liability and comprehensive and collision car insurance and health insurance, , , no matter how I try, BHO just won’t get it

Willie on February 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM

From the phrasing, this has an appearance of being fabricated.

“When I was young” implies; when I did not know better because of lack of experience.

Then he says “just out of college”. We have to ask which one. For this to work for him it would have to before he went to Harvard, but that implies he had a serious comprehension problem. Maybe he was high when he bought it, otherwise we have to assume he just was not capable of understanding what the agent told him.

I used to sell the policy that he says he bought. We tried not to sell them because at the time the scam was to buy the policy then if an accideent happened,claim they had not understand what they bought because a “Lawyer” did not explain it to them. If this was before Harvard, he would have been told he did not have that coverage. It is doubtful they would have told him laughing. After Harvard, he would have been talking to their lawyers and no one would have been laughing.

Most likey this was told to him by someone he met as a communitive organizer, perhaps a defense of a client if he actually practiced real law, or he just heard the same things I did, perhaps as an inside lawyer joke, and became creative.

One thing you have to say about him, he is consistent; if he says it happened, it probably didn’t.

Franklyn on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

As I noted yesterday on the HC thread there is a real Acme Insurance and they do business in Ill, from what I can tell.
0bowma called it a “cheap” insurance company.

He grabbed a name out of the air and ended up, possibly inadvertantly slandering them.
He owes the execs, workers and customers at Acme an apology no matter.

FireBlogger on February 26, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Franklyn on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I posted something like this just after He made the remark.

After some rude heading calling our POTUS an Affirmative Action Hero:

If I were a Republican I would have asked the following:

So, Mr. President, You attended Harvad Law School where they presumably taught you to read contracts then you bought a car insurance policy.

And, after being “rear ended”, you called them and they laughed at you. So you apparently never read the policy. And you possibly mentioned your Harvard Legal education, and then they laughed louder and said they would have another round at lunch.

I have two questions for you, Mr. President.

First, you never read the “Stimulus Bill” did you?

Second, have the Iranians, Russians or Chinese been in touch with the insurance company?

Your point is even better, though sadder.

IlikedAUH2O on February 26, 2010 at 6:55 PM

If this anecdote proves anything, it’s that Obama never learned a thing about insurance is a dumbass

NoFanofLibs on February 26, 2010 at 7:08 PM

From what I can remember the “Acme” company never covered the Coyote either……

Dick Turpin on February 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM

0bowma called it a “cheap” insurance company.

He owes the execs, workers and customers at Acme an apology no matter.

FireBlogger on February 26, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Oh, it was deliberate. Count on it. He’s probably hoping his supposedly off-the-cuff anecdote helps put Acme out of business and starts a domino effect in the insurance industry.

Then, of course, “Government Man to the rescue!”

SagebrushPuppet on February 26, 2010 at 7:23 PM

HondaV65 on February 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I’m stealing this is you don’t mind–it’s so good…

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I’m beginning to think that those that estimate his IQ to be at 116 are being extremely generous.
How did he survive in the real world? Oh…that’s right. He’s never dealt with the real world. Never.

Army Brat on February 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Maybe Harvard Law School doesn’t teach Contract Law, which is a basic 1st year law course at most law schools. Ya think?

txmomof6 on February 26, 2010 at 9:37 PM

No wonder Obowma never holds pressers. Sheeesh!

tbear44 on February 26, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Reminds me of MO’s comment (lie) about sitting on her daddy’s lap, watching the Olympics.

Back to TOTUS, BO!

MADgirl91 on February 26, 2010 at 10:56 PM

The story is a lie he used to score some points but he didn’t think it through. Or it could be he’s just not as smart as his toadies claim. I vote for #2.

Mason on February 27, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Over many years of working with children with learning disabilities and impairments across a wide range of IQ levels, I have gained an ability to fairly accurately guess a real IQ. The 116 does not surprise me. It place Obama about the middle of superior intellect with nothing to document the claim. I am going to label it as a political number to make someone who see themselves as average to believe him to be very intelligent. My own assessment, lacking as well any documentation or evaluations, places him closer to 110. That is a bit better than many, but from my point of view, which is far above his, he is still well within the average range of intelligence and limited in his ability to grasp multiple concepts and information to form a larger picture of how they all fit together.

He does have one exceptional ability that few process as a result of his narcissistic psychosis; the ability to manipulate people into doing his work, and then taking the credit or appearing to be doing something and yet is doing nothing.

I did do an interesting search corresponding IQ with occupation.

IQ 110: clerks, salesmen, politicians. He fits here.

IQ 120: teachers, accountants, managers. Not so well.

IQ 130 surgeons, doctors. He is clueless.

IQ 140 professors, top civil servants.

Given he was a professor, but he failed to demonstrate the ability research or publish as required. He also appears to have a very limited understanding of the course he taught; Constitutional Law. This is further demonstated by his inability to give a speech without the help of a teleprompter and worse, to even comprehend or extend what he was reading when it fails.

I don’t think anyone can offer an argument that he has the skills of a top civil servant.

Franklyn on February 27, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Franklyn on February 27, 2010 at 2:18 AM

This should have been on the IQ thread around here. I read somewhere that graduate level academics and lawyers require an IQ of 125. And He did that. But then there is politics and affirmative action.

The other part of this whole discussion is that anyone who thinks that they are going to see anything about this gentleman’s records that He doesn’t want them to see must have a low IQ.

IlikedAUH2O on February 27, 2010 at 2:45 AM

Franklyn on February 27, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Actually I think Obama is doing a lot of harm to Harvard, He’s stupid and very badly educated. Bush may not have been the smartest ace in the pack, but everyone knows his daddy BOUGHT his place at Yale.

Really makes you wonder how Obama got his. I have oodles of students who are way more intelligent than this. And even the rich ones have no chance at Harvard.

I really do not understand how people think this guy is intelligent. And it’s not a question of the really intelligent guy lost in the real world either, because he seems to have problems with complex ideas as well.

I. do. not. get. it.

I think he’s an emblem of the current indigence of liberal thinking.

Hope on February 27, 2010 at 5:28 AM

That’s harsh. Obama is more like the twenty something that saw a little of life, didn’t like it, and is now living in the parent’s basement.

highhopes on February 26, 2010 at 8:30 AM

He is, it’s called the White House. ‘Cept he has the West Wing ….

Hope on February 27, 2010 at 5:35 AM

And the funny thing is, when we bring up car insurance or home insurance to make an illustrative point about health insurance, the lefty’s all cry “it’s different, those types of insurance don’t compare”. But they’ll use it themselves, and don’t you pay no mind.

JeffWeimer on February 27, 2010 at 8:53 AM

From what I can remember the “Acme” company never covered the Coyote either……

Dick Turpin on February 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM

“Acme” was not an insurance company, in the Coyote universe. It was a purveyor of poorly conceived hardware.

Rocket powered unicycle anyone.

Slowburn on February 27, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Franklyn on February 27, 2010 at 2:18 AM

He was never a professor. He was a visiting lecturer, nothing more. Maybe he taught “community organizing law”, I don’t think he knows anything about the constitution.

Dasher on February 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Acme Insurance acted….stupidly

Huckabye-Romney on February 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM

When he got rear ended, Michelle was sitting on his lap watching the Olympics on her I-phone. She bumped her face on the steering wheel resulting in the loss of some teef. When Barry called Geico trying to get Michelle a new grill, they laughed at him. And that, my friends, is exactly why the government needs to take over the health care system.

justltl on February 27, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Until she could afford her own choppers, she and cousin Pookie had to time share the grill.

justltl on February 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Excessive usage of the word “or” in this thread.

“And” works a lot better.

karl9000 on February 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Our poor poor dear reader — If it’s not on the teleprompter he doesn’t know it. My guess is in Indonesia and Kenya you don’t learn much about life in America.

You Obama voters owe America an apology for the mess you caused.

tarpon on February 27, 2010 at 4:56 PM

It is for this reason that I am glad I bought total coverage insurance. Especially when I hit someone else’s car in a parking lot (my fault, obviously).

BTW, Mr President, this has zero to do with health insurance.

Rightwingguy on February 27, 2010 at 5:11 PM

When I hear him spew idiotic nonsense like this, my first reaction is to extend my longest finger in the Chicago Peace Sign to people like Michael Medved, who constantly defend Obama as some sort of brilliant but misguided liberal.

In this story, as in most political discussions, Obama outs himself as either a liar or an idiot.

Pick one.

Jaibones on February 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Comrade 0bama? Was it a Lada or a Volga that the capitolist pig rear-ended?

joe btfsplk on February 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Pick one.

Jaibones on February 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Don’t go holdin’ him back. He could be both.

Blacksmith8 on March 1, 2010 at 10:04 AM