Obama phones Cheney after heart attack to wish him well

posted at 4:45 pm on February 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

Remember when Limbaugh talked about lying in the hospital in Honolulu after his own heart attack and worrying that The One would swing by for the ultimate in awkward well-wishing chitchat? This is like that to the tenth power.

I was trying to figure out this morning how much I’d pay for a copy of the audio. $100 a minute? Maybe. Maybe.

President Obama called former Vice President Dick Cheney at home to wish him a speedy recovery from his latest heart attack, a rare truce in the fiery, arms-length debate the two have been having about national security over the last year.

A White House official said Thursday that the president called Mr. Cheney on Wednesday after the former vice president was released from George Washington University Hospital. Mr. Cheney was treated for what his office called a “mild heart attack,” his fifth over the last three decades.

Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. had previously called his predecessor while Mr. Cheney was still at the hospital. The White House did not announce Mr. Obama’s call on Wednesday but the official confirmed it in response to an inquiry. Mr. Cheney’s spokesman, Peter Long, said the former vice president “thanked him or the call and they enjoyed a pleasant, non-substantive conversation.”

Too bad it was “non-substantive.” When it comes to terror policy, they agree more often than they disagree.

Seriously, though, a gesture this classy deserves some recognition. Good for Obama for swallowing his pride and doing the presidential thing. Why, even Jim Treacher was moved to tip his cap to Barry O — and he just got run over by one of Obama’s guys. Talk about goodwill.

Exit question: Between the Cheney news and this morning’s rockin’ White House confab with the atheist all-stars, is this The One’s best day as president this year so far? Maybe. Maybe.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The man does one civil thing and suddenly we’re supposed to think he’s wonderful? It would have been classier not to announce that he did it.

katiejane on February 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Indeed, that was nice of him to do.

Midas on February 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

This was nothing. If Obama really wants to be impressive he should ask Cheney to go bird hunting.

carbon_footprint on February 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

“Get well soon so I can try you for war crimes!”

BadgerHawk on February 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

It would have been classier not to announce that he did it.

katiejane on February 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM

That’s way too Bush-like.

BadgerHawk on February 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

A post this classy about a gesture this classy deserves recognition. After all, virtue is it’s own reward.

Christien on February 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

It would have been classier not to announce that he did it.

katiejane on February 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I think it says they did *not* announce it, but confirmed it upon inquiry.

I went back and re-read, but maybe I missed it where Obama’s folks announced it (and look, I’m *way* not an Obama fan, I’m just trying to be fair).

Midas on February 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM

How did this get released again?

d1carter on February 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM

…a gesture this classy…

Classy you say – I think not – more like an opportunity to attempt to have Cheney’s blood pressure accelerate and hopefully obliterate a foe – there’s naught ‘classy’ about this jerk. . . .

karra on February 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Give the guy credit where credit is due. He may not be a great president but he’s not a monster. I can only shudder to think what wishes the Kos kids had for Mr. Cheney.

scalleywag on February 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Indeed, that was nice of him to do.

Midas on February 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Yes, I’m sure Cheney was thrilled to hear from him.

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Obama does nothing without it giving him an advantage. Call me cynical, but I think this is just a way to get Cheney to shut up and stay off the talk show circuit. The optics would be bad for Dick to berate Obama on MTP on policy issues after this.

TendStl on February 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Odie1941 on February 26, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Ya, I sure it was Cheney who let the press know Obama called.

Has everybody suddenly gone soft in the head?

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM

That was very classy of Obama.

chunderroad on February 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Midas on February 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM

You’re right – I missed the part that indicated it was revealed in response to an inquiry so I withdraw my bash that it was lacking in class.

That still doesn’t make the call something to gush about. The club of Presidents/VPs is relatively small and this type of exchange wouldn’t be a big deal. Even a President shouldn’t be congratulated for doing what a normal person would do.

katiejane on February 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

scalleywag on February 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Ah, dude, go find the picture of Obama strutting to the microphones and cameras while he let’s his elderly friend Professor Gates be helped down the stairs by the cop he denounced to the the national media as a stupid racist and tell me again about his kind heated concern for Cheney or anybody else for that matter.

This guy doesn’t think of anyone but himself. When he does something seemingly considerate it’s calculated to benefit him.

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM

As a gesture of human decency, bravo Obama, as a bit of presidential statesmanship it is good PR.

fourdeucer on February 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Yes, I’m sure Cheney was thrilled to hear from him.

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM

He may not have been thrilled – doesn’t matter, does it?

Unless Obama and Biden were sitting around, snickering, and “ooh, let’s call Cheney, that’ll piss him off – maybe he’ll have another attack!” – then it’s still ‘the right thing to do’ to call and wish him well, isn’t it?

Midas on February 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

katiejane on February 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

yes, I’m sure the press wasn’t tipped off to ask. I’m sure they guessed it because it’s so consistent with this kind-heated President. No, better yet, I’m sure it was Cheney who let the press know Obama called. Ya, that’s it! Cheney told them…

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM

“Now I know how Chris Matthews feels” –Di*k Cheney

Schadenfreude on February 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Midas on February 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

If you think Obama called him because he thought it was the right thing to do then you haven’t been paying very much attention.

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM

It was nice of Obummer, but when was this released? Before or after his failed summit yesterday?

ladyingray on February 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM

“Get well soon so I can try you for war crimes!”

BadgerHawk on February 26, 2010 at 5:25

Thank God not everyone at HA has gone brain-dead all of a sudden….

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM

First, I’m not a dude, I’m an old grandma. Second, he put aside their differences long enough to extend a hand and wish him well. Sure, he could have had ulterior motives, although I don’t know what those would be except to make himself look like a stand up guy. Wouldn’t you wish a co-worker well even though you didn’t agree with him most of the time? Relax, next week you’ll have plenty more to criticize him for.

scalleywag on February 26, 2010 at 5:49 PM

This is Plouffery 101. Get Obama to call, then get someone to “inquire” about it, then get someone to write a news story. Presto changeo, Barry looks like a human being.

Missy on February 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Many of you are saying that it was classless to announce it (and that Bush wouldn’t have).

First of all, he didn’t announce it, he just didn’t hide it when asked about it:

Second of all, how do you know Bush did this kind of thing but didn’t let it be known? By definition, you can’t know.

Third of all, you can’t have it both ways. Many of you are saying that you’re unmoved by a single act of decency. Well if he didn’t announce things like this, then you’d never find out, and you’d still be unmoved. So basically, you won’t be convinced that he’s a good guy in this regard no matter what.

The bottom line is that you just don’t like him, and aren’t willing to give him credit for even something small but obviously nice like this. An inability to give him props makes you lose credibility when you criticize him for other more substantive things, which is too bad.

tneloms on February 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM

“Now I know how Chris Matthews feels” –Di*k Cheney

Schadenfreude on February 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Awesome

SlimyBill on February 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM

How did this get released again?

d1carter on February 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Crist disclosed it.

upinak on February 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM

scalleywag on February 26, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Sorry Gandma, I don’t applaud people for shallow publicity stunts because that would make me as shallow, phony and inconsiderate as he is. I prefer honesty and bluntness whenever possible.

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Civility.

No way.

PURE POLITICS. I’d BANK on it.

RealMc on February 26, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Missy on February 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM

And a bunch of people trying to prove they are good people too can’t wait to fall all over themselves to praise him for it.

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I don’t blame people for being cynical, I’m cynical about Mr. President just as much as the next “dude”. In this case however, I think he was just wishing the guy well. As it stands now, he probably wishes he had picked Cheney for a VP hahahaha.

scalleywag on February 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Great, Obama called Cheney and wished him well. But Obama still thinks half the country is redneck racists who are greedy because they want to keep more of what they earn.

Be still my beating heart.

Hog Wild on February 26, 2010 at 5:58 PM

predictable outrage

The Race Card on February 26, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Will The One finally make Keef’s Worst Person in the World all-star list?

hillbillyjim on February 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Sorry, but so when does anyone deserve praise for doing the right thing?
The “right thing” is the “right thing,” period. I don’t go around patting myself on the back because I didn’t steal, lie, cheat, or dis someone just on principle.

I know I sound bitter and snarky, well, fine, I’ll accept that. This man has tried to eviscerate my country. I’ll try to be Christian and forgive him because he’s the 8th dwarf: Name: Clueless, but I won’t praise him because he did the right thing.
Furthermore…I’ll really anger y’all, I bet he did it because Rahm or Gibby told him it would make “Great press.” I seriously doubt he picked up that phone on his own. Sorry to disappoint.

Chewy the Lab on February 26, 2010 at 6:25 PM

There seems to be an assumption that people of different parties are somehow unfriendly to each other and would not get along or be civil.

I worked for a foreign government where the two parties were much farther apart that our two parties are in terms of policy and ideology. In public they fought tooth and nail but in private they would often wine and dine together socially and there were some remarkable friendships across the aisle.

That really isn’t any different in Washington and it does not surprise me at all that Obama or any Democrat would not wish Cheney good health. It may have been awkward for someone like Rush or Olberman or any of the other partisan hacks who have never held office or tried to legislate.

lexhamfox on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Ya, I sure it was Cheney who let the press know Obama called.

Has everybody suddenly gone soft in the head?

TheBigOldDog on February 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM

What part of

If reading comprehension is “soft headed” I am mushy…

Odie1941 on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Thank you card from Dick Cheney.
Thank you Mr. President for your call today. I also wanted to thank you for the 10 pounds of Kobe beef wrapped in bacon, cheddar cheese wheel, 5 pound can of cashews, 5 gallons of chocolate ice cream and the box of hand wrapped Cuban cigars.
Signed,
Dick Cheney

yoda on February 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM

tneloms on February 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM

What is Obama- a child who needs to be be praised to the skies when he actually does something nice?

katiejane on February 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Obama asked Cheney, “Why did you eat that little girl’s heart and liver?”

Elizabetty on February 26, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Nice gesture, but as low as this may sound, does anyone here not believe this wasn’t an attempt to score some political points?

capejasmine on February 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM

I have to disagree on one point Allah. IF Obama were capable of swallowing his pride, he’d back up on the health care crap, swallow his pride, and tell Congress to start over, and listen to the people.

capejasmine on February 26, 2010 at 6:33 PM

capejasmine on February 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM

I agree with you. Too bad this doesn’t happen more often.

yoda on February 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Obama probably did it hoping the sound of his voice on the phone would be such a shock to Cheney that it would end him.

That’s what an Alinsky acolyte would say.

profitsbeard on February 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Obama: Hang in there ol’ buddy you know I need you”

Cheney: Trying to get well..

Obama: Well I got my base to keep in tow, with health care going down, another row with you should rally them back to my cause

Cheney: Yeah, yeah, just give me a few weeks. This was a close one!

Obama: Ok old friend, I’ll hold the script about Syria for another week. It’s a dozy! I’ll play soft on them so that you can question my strength. Then I can strike Iran before the elections to change the campaign narrative

Cheney: I don’t know if the old ticker can take these circular plots of yours anymore! I might have to alternate my attacks with Liz. You know you need to raise her stature by taking her on directly.

Obama: Ohhh no! I already got Palin to deal with on one side and I am still holding Hillary down on the other. And of course Michelle at home. No more women pols Dick, now is not the time!

Cheney: Alright Barry, Iran is the ultimate objective. Just give me another week and I get it going again

Obama: Good Dick, get some rest. Be ready by next week.

milemarker2020 on February 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Pretty bad when everything you’ve done is so destructive & self-absorbed that you get “applauded” for making a polite phone call.

kg598301 on February 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM

…it was revealed in response to an inquiry so I withdraw my bash that it was lacking in class.

katiejane on February 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Sure, but who inquired? Might have been some effing retard

mwdiver on February 26, 2010 at 8:22 PM

If reading comprehension is “soft headed” I am mushy…

Odie1941 on February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Did that comprehension tell you who inquired?

mwdiver on February 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Why? Things like this are like the bare minimum of what is expected from Presidents. Why does Obama deserve special recognition for doing what ought to be a total no-brainer?

Dubya would have done this without thinking, and what’s more, he wouldn’t have had his people ensure that some journalist reported on it.

The only reason anyone thinks this is notable is because Barry isn’t noted for doing the right and classy thing, aT least without drawing attention to himself over it, EVER.

Missy on February 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I sniggered at the news that Dick Cheney’s spokesman is named Peter Long.

I’ve been lurking at AoSHQ too long…

sulla on February 26, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Obama doesn’t really disagree with Cheney about prosecuting the war. Now that the “evil Republicans” are gone, the anti-war Left is extinct.

Speedwagon82 on February 26, 2010 at 9:34 PM

tneloms on February 26, 2010

OK, so Ob+ama’s a socialist, Islamo-fascist loving, lying, sack of corn-infused excrement who did a “small but obviously nice thing”. You satisfied now, troll?

SKYFOX on February 27, 2010 at 12:22 PM