Luntz focus group says “start over” on health care

posted at 2:55 pm on February 26, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Johnny Dollar clipped this segment from last night’s Sean Hannity show, where pollster and analyst Frank Luntz hosted a focus group that may have endured treatment that would violate the Geneva Convention: watching the entire Obama health-care summit. With the group almost evenly split between Obama and McCain voters, the overwhelming reaction among them was to be underwhelmed. While Republicans got tepid praise for the most part, no one was terribly impressed with the effort made by Democrats yesterday. And if you’re tempted to click away from this seven-minute clip, you’ll miss the reaction that the entire group has to the idea of reconciliation:

People may differ on the approach needed to reform the cost structure in American health care, but they don’t differ much on the notion of cramming down an unpopular, unwieldy bill through a series of parliamentary tricks. If the Democrats can’t gain a consensus for a comprehensive overhaul of the US health-care sector, perhaps they should stop trying to push one. This is hardly the first polling that has delivered that message, but as Luntz says near the end of the clip, Democrats have thus far refused to listen.

Once again, this particular focus group shows that Republicans gained the most from the summit meeting yesterday. One woman says that Republicans “finally” got away from partisanship and started offering ideas, but the truth is that Republicans have been offering ideas since last summer on reforming health care costs. The media simply hasn’t reported on it. Barack Obama’s insistence on having a nationally-televised summit gave Republicans the platform they needed to get their common-sense points across to Americans — and if this focus group is any indication, those points resonated much more than the government-takeover approach demanded by Democrats. This summit was a huge miscalculation by Obama, and it leaves Democrats in a corner.

Comments

I bet the woman who had to use her dead sister’s false teeth, wasn’t invited.

Chew on that.

NoDonkey on February 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

reaping what was sown…..

ted c on February 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

agreed.

he was looking for cover, but got exposed instead.

DrW on February 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

He wanted to mess with bull, but he got the horns instead.

ouch.

ted c on February 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Frank needs a new rug…jus sayin’.

d1carter on February 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM

looks like the good, solid B+ game just ain’t cuttin’ it anymore.

Skills.

ted c on February 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Chew on that.

NoDonkey on February 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

LOL!!

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM

he was looking for cover, but got exposed instead.

DrW on February 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

+10000

You nailed it.

portlandon on February 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM

And this was in Philly. Obama is not polling well at all in Pennsylvania. If he loses that state in 2012, he’ll get destroyed in the electoral vote.

Doughboy on February 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Tone deaf? Deaf deaf.

John the Libertarian on February 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM

All I saw was a room full of white racists and fake minorities who had been tricked by The Man.

Bishop on February 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

The dims DO NOT CARE what we think. Period.

txag92 on February 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Just like “Cash for Clunkers” left the impression of Sanford & Sons, the summit will be remembered by the woman “wearing her dead sister’s dentures”.

The Obama world are masters in creating strange images, in conrast to what they intend to do. Let them!

Schadenfreude on February 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Not if you look at it from the perspective of actually doing his job as the head of state for the people of the US.
Of course, if you look at it from that perspective, he’s been doing everything else wrong from the get-go.

Count to 10 on February 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Case in point…. Nancy Pelosi this morning… “We will pass HC. We are the majority and the majority rules.”

txag92 on February 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Saw that last night.
Hannity is just getting harder to watch/listen to on a daily basis.

OmahaConservative on February 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Indeed. Democrats gather in the corner, with chattering teeth, cleaving to their shattered dreams of progressive utopia; all the while they writhe in their self imposed pain of defeat. As they lick the windows of the future, spit upon their legs and feet whilst rubbing in the spittle on their elitist supple thin skins of knowledge. And, they chant in unison, “Yes We Can”.

How’s that for some Saturday morning Paul Krugman? Heh.

Key West Reader on February 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Chew Gum on that.

NoDonkey on February 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM
LOL!!

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM

~FIFY

Brian on February 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM

txag92 on February 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM

She didn’t really say that, did she?

Doughboy on February 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM

That Focus Group were all paid Republican Neocon Halliburton plants.

GrowsHapfeetFinProudLib343Rino February 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM

portlandon on February 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Anyone notice the guy in the black shirt on the far right in the front row. Did you see how high he raised his hand when reconciliation was brought up.

I bet he resented being seen on Fox. He just came off like a kool-aid drinking Obamatard.

Pcoop on February 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Oddly informed for a Frank Luntz group. Good for them for being informed.

SouthernGent on February 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Hannity is just getting harder to watch/listen to on a daily basis.

OmahaConservative on February 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

The more informed one becomes this is the result.

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Luntz made this presentation on Imus this morning too. It was very impressive, even to Imus.

OT: I notice we have some new pop-ups (e.g., the Ford ad) in the right side bar. I hate it when the pop-ups block the content you came for.

petefrt on February 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM

She didn’t really say that, did she?

Doughboy on February 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Was just reported on Fox. I don’t have a link.

txag92 on February 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM

OmahaConservative on February 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

+1 Me too…

d1carter on February 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM

It seems to me the biggest reason so many people don’t trust the democrats is that during the campaign the democrats said they were going to “provide health care to the uninsured by eliminating waste and fraud in the system”, but it has turned out to be just another liberal tax-and-spend socialist program.

jaime on February 26, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I guess we just don’t have the comprehension to understand Barack The Magnificent’s plan to relieve us of the burden of deciding our own Health Care. He just hasn’t explained it to us well enough yet. He needs to use more condecension and arrogance. Then I’m sure we’ll be able to be in awe of his genius. /

kingsjester on February 26, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Chew Gum on that.

NoDonkey on February 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

katy on February 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Hannity is just getting harder to watch/listen to on a daily basis.

OmahaConservative on February 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

True.

I bet my wife that Bill O’Reilly would be doing his “Body Language” segments regarding the HealthCare Debate. I missed it, did I win my bet?

portlandon on February 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I bet the woman who had to use her dead sister’s false teeth, wasn’t invited. Chew on that. NoDonkey on February 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Hell, I’m using em now. Thinka how I feel.

Akzed on February 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Saw it on the Hannity west coast repeat. What was remarkable was even the obvious Obama supporters couldn’t bring themselves to disagree with the nearly unanimous consensus, and it pained them to admit it.

Skandia Recluse on February 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Bishop on February 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

:-|

Akzed on February 26, 2010 at 3:14 PM

3 of the 24 participants want reconciliation – they actually want a jam down of unconstitutional reform???

Ris4victory on February 26, 2010 at 3:14 PM

I hate focus groups

V-rod on February 26, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Was just reported on Fox. I don’t have a link.

txag92 on February 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM

If she actually said that, the Democrat Party could take at least a decade to recover from her and Reid. It’s almost like a personal vendetta against the American people at this point for the Democrat leadership.

Doughboy on February 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Jan 19thFeb 25th

the day healthcare died. Prayers are answered. There is a God

unseen on February 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I bet my wife that Bill O’Reilly would be doing his “Body Language” segments regarding the HealthCare Debate. portlandon on February 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM

What’d the other guy bet?

Akzed on February 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

The last question about \”reconciliation\” said it all–3 in favor, something like 20 against. If this group is at all representative of the American people, if Democrats try to jam ObamaCare through with reconciliation, they will get 80% of the voters PO\’d. I wonder how many House Dems watched Luntz & Co. last night and decided to vote NO to Obama and SanFranNan…to save their political hides!

Steve Z on February 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM

People wanted this bill scrapped even before that pathetic “summit”. I don’t think the numbers moved much. The Dems would have been more isolated had they been alone at that summit, babbling on about sharing dentures all by themselves.

The difference is that people thought the bill was dead, before, and now they are a little scared that it’s not dead, but attitudes about the bill haven’t really changed. And this will have no effect on the Dems, anyway. The Precedent pushes legislation in inverse proportion to its popularity and Constitutionality, because he just wants to sow chaos.

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM

portlandon on February 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM

He could bring on Tanya “Teeth” Reiman tonight.

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM

But they will attempt to push the bill through in order to salvage Barry’s ego. And then they’ll pay for it in November.

GarandFan on February 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Doughboy on February 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Like a third worlder trying to exact revenge on us, and the first world, for humiliating “his people” with our great productivity, advancements and freedom …

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM

What’d the other guy bet?

Akzed on February 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Nice!

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM

All I saw was a bunch of stupid RAAAAACISTS!!!! They clearly don’t have the necessary intelligence to understand what His Highness is saying. /sarc

search4truth on February 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Only thing i worry about is that the GOP thinks it is politically better to let the dems pass it and run against it in Nov. the GOP can and must tell the Senate that any attempt to ram this thru will be met with all out W*r on the Senate floor and the gov will grind to a halt thru object of individual senators to every bill, post office naming, nomination.

this is where Brown can redeem himself. threaten to no allow another vote to come to the floor and filibuster for the next 8 months

unseen on February 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM

The Kool-aid’s starting to have a bitter taste to it.

kingsjester on February 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM

ROFLMAO!!! There’s my laugh for the day.

portlandon on February 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Not last night. He did have her on a few nights ago. She studied Suzanne Sommers, Tiger Woods, and I can’t remember the third. It was rather boring. I’m tired of Tiger, and the other 2 just weren’t really that relevant.

capejasmine on February 26, 2010 at 3:20 PM

The Kool-aid’s starting to have a bitter taste to it.

kingsjester on February 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I’m guessing it’s like drinking the powder out of the package without benefit of sugar, or water.

capejasmine on February 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Even if this is Cloward-Piven and is all deliberate by Obama(which I still can’t bring myself to believe), that doesn’t explain why the rest of the Dems would be willing to destroy their own party(not to mention the country).

Doughboy on February 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

/democrats

LibTired on February 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM

When I was a kid I was working a warehouse and a vendor came in a “mis-counted”, I didn’t catch it, an owner of the company did, and he sent the vendor packing and called his supervisor.
I thought that was harsh, the owner stated: “When you make money counting money, you don’t make ‘mistakes.”
Obama never worked in a warehouse…you don’t invite professional lawmakers, and expect to trick them, or expect to out “political” them. They didn’t fall for his “mistakes” of double counting, and budget manipulation.

right2bright on February 26, 2010 at 3:22 PM

the Lib sites in Virginia think Bambi was marvelous. and they hate, hate, hate Eric Cantor. they like socialized medicine for the children

kelley in virginia on February 26, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Hell, I’m using em now. Thinka how I feel.

Akzed on February 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Sounds like a promising “best practices” pilot project.

I mean really, how many minutes a day do you really need teeth?

Redistribute the wealth.

It takes a village to raise a molar.

NoDonkey on February 26, 2010 at 3:23 PM

capejasmine on February 26, 2010 at 3:20 PM

American men have been studying Suzanne Sommer’s body language for years. Jon Ritter (God rest his soul) had a rough tv role.

kingsjester on February 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM

doughboy: i asked a vietnam vet who now drives a UPS truck the exact same question. why would the Dems in Congress want to destroy our economy? he said because then they would get to be the overlords & that is why they are doing it.

kelley in virginia on February 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Speaker Pelosi, did you know that in the Canadian elections of 1993, the Progressive Conservative party of Canada went from 151 seats (a majority in the 295-seat parliament) to 2 seats? Just saying.

Emperor Norton on February 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Brian on February 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Sorry dude, didn’t read the posts. Great minds.

katy on February 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM

wow, emperor norton. i like that factoid.

kelley in virginia on February 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Doughboy on February 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM

The Precedent isn’t really looking to pull Cloward-Piven; he just wants to bring destruction to us, without any care of what follows – at least by my view.

The Dems went along because they thought that they were abetting The Precedent’s attempted rape and robbery of America. It was only after they were knee deep in insane votes, having excorted The Precedent into the mall (as it were) that they have begun to realize that The Precedent is not looking to rob anything, but intends to blow himself up and take as many people with him – which includes his dem allies.

But, the Dems are long past the point of no return. The only thing that would stop them would be an appeal to their humanity and empathy, but the Dems have none.

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Pcoop on February 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Yes, noticed him and have a feeling he is busy today making phone calls to all of the talk radio shows. Poor thing is probably proud that he was noticed as he is likely looking to be a hero to the Progressives. Bless his little heart. (That’s Southern for “fool”)

redwhiteblue on February 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM

6-0 USA over Finland 7:00 left in 1st Per.

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM

That’s terribly unfair.

The USA should give some of those goals to Finland.

NoDonkey on February 26, 2010 at 3:31 PM

What is with the Muslim lady at 3:35?

nottakingsides on February 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Huge miscalculation, indeed. But then, what major initiative that this WH has undertaken in the past 12 months has NOT been a huge miscalculation?

Someone help me out here, because the list scrolling through my head have all been tactical and strategic disasters.

DrStock on February 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Oh, Ann Coulter, how I love you and your inimitable wit and flaxen hair:

So Obama’s sole objective at the “summit” is to hoodwink Republicans into agreeing with some of his wildly unpopular ideas on national TV. If this were a reality show on NBC, it would be called, “Dateline: To Catch a R.I.N.O.”

LibTired on February 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Pcoop on February 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

–Guys in black shirts with small moutaches who raise their hands straight ahead scare me.

Jimbo3 on February 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM

The Democrats clearly didn’t listen and didn’t WANT to listen to a single fact they were told by Republicans yesterday.

Today they grimly insist that they are going to push ahead with this financial bomb-raid against their own country anyway, against the wishes of a majority of Americans who would have to deal with this monstrosity long after many of its perpetrators have died.

I have never felt so under threat by my own country’s politicians in my entire life. Seriously.

There will be hell to pay — HELL TO PAY — if the Democrats continue to plug their ears, go “la la la” and continue marching this country straight toward national fiscal meltdown.

Edouard on February 26, 2010 at 3:34 PM

What can you say but that Fox is not a real news channel? If they were real news they would protect the Democrats from themselves.

snaggletoothie on February 26, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Frank needs a new rug…jus sayin’.

d1carter on February 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM

He goes to the same hair club as Janet Napolitano.

mizflame98 on February 26, 2010 at 3:36 PM

He goes to the same hair club as Janet Napolitano.

mizflame98 on February 26, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I think he grew the beard to hide the resemblance.

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM

What’d the other guy bet?

Akzed on February 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

That’s classic Akzed.

There’s one issue the dems keep mentioning and Nancy Pelosi tried to drive it home late in the summit. No cuts in Medicare benefits but a savings of $500 million over ten years by eleminating fraud and increasing efficiency. Why do the dems think they need legislation for this? That is the biggest example of what a sham this is without even resorting to economics to make a point.

DanMan on February 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM

txag92 on February 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM

WRONG, PELOZILLA!

It is WE THE PEOPLE who are in the majority!

And it is OUR majority that will be whittling down YOUR majority come November…especially if you are dumb enough to pursue passing your idiotic healthcare bill here.

pilamaye on February 26, 2010 at 3:39 PM

The GOP could have agreed to the entire demorat scheme and the ‘rats would’ve see that as a green light to pile-on with even more. It’s become us against the government now.

Bishop on February 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM

kelley in virginia on February 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I’m certain part of their motivation is the seduction of power. But watching that summit yesterday, I began to think that it’s not just about corruption. I believe these Dems(and a few of the RINO’s) really do live in a fantasy world and have no clue how their overreaching affects the real world(aka the private sector).

Now that we’re finally being forced to pay the tab for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the Community Reinvestment Act, and potentially Obamacare and we’ve discovered our credit card is maxed out, the entire belief system of these leftists is coming crashing down around them. They’re waking up to the sober reality that there isn’t an endless supply of tax revenue to be had from “big business” or “the rich”. And what’s going on in Greece is only cementing this.

Watch that Paul Ryan clip again and watch the Dems’ reactions. A lot of people saw rage and disdain on Obama’s mug. And that was certainly detectable. But I also saw a deer in headlights. He had absolutely no clue what Ryan was talking about. And he’s the leader of the free world! To say we’re screwed is an understatement.

Doughboy on February 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM

oh man! i am at work and can’t get a video stream. my son is keeping me posted. kane has two goals so far. I can’t believe i’m missing this blood letting…..

jbh45 on February 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM

“We will pass HC. We are the majority and the majority rules.”

You couldn’t pass your biggest dream item even when you had a supermajority and half the nation breathlessly awaiting the announcement of success. Some ‘ruling’ you’ve done!

Dark-Star on February 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM

jbh45 on February 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Is the FoxNews site blocked at your job? Go to Hannity’s site and the video is posted there.

Doughboy on February 26, 2010 at 3:48 PM

jbh45 on February 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Kipper skated off the ice after 4 goals in less than 10 minutes.

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Holy Freekin’ Crap!
Could it be any more clear?
They just can’t do this.

If the Donks proceed
With Reconciliation…
Pitchforks and Torches…

Haiku Guy on February 26, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I haven’t watched this clip yet, but if it’s anything like most of the Luntz focus groups, the people are usually so uninformed, they sound like they were educated in the public school system. I like the mechanics of what Luntz does, but if the people are stupid, it doesn’t quite work.

NoNails on February 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM

NoNails on February 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Actually, this was a very informed group. One of the best he’s ever had.

Doughboy on February 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM

What’d the other guy bet?

Akzed on February 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Well deserved. Here’s the finish…..

portlandon on February 26, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Actually, this was a very informed group. One of the best he’s ever had.

Doughboy on February 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Doughboy, you’re right. This panel is much better than his last few. Perhaps, this means his future panels will be populated by brighter people.

NoNails on February 26, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Chew on that.

NoDonkey on February 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

With who’s teeth?

MarkTheGreat on February 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM

This quote by Rangel yesterday was classic:

“And then, Mr. President, after we start learning to agree with each other and it’s not a question of no but it’s the Congress working its will for the good of people, then we can work out…”

dont taze me bro on February 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Did the focus group have nicely creased pants?

MarkTheGreat on February 26, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Nobody believes the Dem bill behind closed doors will be good for the country on either side. It will be interesting to see if it gets through the House.

Conan on February 26, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I bet the woman who had to use her dead sister’s false teeth, wasn’t invited.

Chew on that.

NoDonkey on February 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Blitzkrieg!

Thread won in the first comment.

RINO in Name Only on February 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM

He could bring on Tanya “Teeth” Reiman tonight.

thomasaur on February 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Is that really her name? I would like to find that woman and buy her some teeth. To show her what a conservative’s charity looks like.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Indeed. Democrats gather in the corner, with other people’s chattering teeth, cleaving to their shattered dreams of progressive utopia; all the while they writhe in their self imposed pain of defeat. As they lick the windows of the future, spit upon their legs and feet whilst rubbing in the spittle on their elitist supple thin skins of knowledge. And, they chant in unison, “Yes We Can”.

How’s that for some Saturday morning Paul Krugman? Heh.

Key West Reader on February 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Hey, Key West. FIFY.

GrannyDee on February 26, 2010 at 7:13 PM

This summit was a entire administration continues to be one huge miscalculation by Obama, and it leaves Democrats in a corner.

(obvious correction)

landlines on February 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

As usual, Luntz points out the obvious. I don’t trust the guy. He sells his findings to anyone who will pay. He has openly admitted to providing his research to the obama team on Hannity the other night.
Not that he doesn’t have the right to do this. Its just that he is kinda a whore.

JeffVader on February 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Lutz has the greatest focus groups around. He is able to get the proper mix of people into a group to discuss an issue in a truly representative manner.

The views expressed by the members of this group were on target, and they are expressing the very sentiments I’ve been espousing whenever I can.

Now for the hard part, making the politicians to see the light that they are sent to D.C. to do one thing that is to do what we want them to do for U.S. not what they want to do to U.S..

MSGTAS on February 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM