Good news: Obama to announce “way forward” on ObamaCare next week

posted at 7:23 pm on February 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

Gee, I wonder what he’ll do.

President Obama will make an announcement sometime next week on what he “believes is the best way forward” on health care reform, the White House said Friday.

“We’ve had many weeks to contemplate where we are,” White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said…

If the Senate is unable to find any Republican votes for health care, they may use a process called “reconciliation,” which only requires a simple majority, to pass the bill. While the proposal to use reconciliation has been characterized by some as too partisan, Gibbs said that “the notion that somehow health care hasn’t been done this way has been offered up by people but is not accurate.”

I don’t know if I can stand the suspense until next week, so let’s see if we can solve the puzzle now by piecing together some clues. Last night Axelrod told CNN that the American people want majority rule on this. (Which is a lie, natch.) Around the same time, Bernie Sanders was claiming there may be 50 votes in the Senate to pass the public option via reconciliation. This morning, a a senior House leadership source stressed to ABC that, no matter what Ben Nelson may think, a scaled-down bill will not pass the House, which means Reid had better find a way to get Obama’s plan through. And then this afternoon Madam Speaker explicitly called for using a “simple majority” to pass Obama’s bill in the Senate. Given all that, anyone want to inch out on the limb and make a prediction as to what the “way forward” will be?

Don’t despair, though. Per CNN, a lot of House Dems are nervous about passing the Senate bill before Reid proves that he has 51 votes to make reconciliation happen. (“One senior House Democratic leadership aide tells CNN that is ‘the biggest’ obstacle right now in this whole process.”) And there’s always the wild card of Democratic “confusion”! Exit question: In light of how unpopular reconciliation is, why would Obama want to take the heat of being the one to formally declare it the “way forward”? Until now, he’s been content to let Congress take the lead on everything. I assume he thinks either (a) lending presidential authority to it could sway a few wavering Dems or (b) Reid and the Blue Dogs are in such dire straits with the midterms bearing down that he now has to start taking punches on their behalf to protect them. But even so, an uncharacteristic move from a guy who likes to vote present.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Democrats are showing all of the brilliance and wisdom of the ancient Mayans at Chichen-Itza, who cut out the hearts of humans being sacrificed and tossed them into their Sacred Cenote (a natural well which served as their source for drinking water).

Star20 on February 26, 2010 at 8:22 PM

joejm65 on February 26, 2010 at 8:14 PM

So can she get the votes she needs? The liberals are mad because there is no public option and the Blue Dogs are mad at the abortion funding and her lone Republican vote has said he won’t vote for it again. This can not stay in limbo much longer. I believe it is hurting employment, I just don’t know if it is by design,

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

O/T~can we release Geraldo and BOR in the wild and just ‘let them go’?
Please?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

joejm65 on February 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Thanks!

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM

This administration has already shown they have declared jihad for their cause.
What do you really expect?

Cybergeezer on February 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM

I hope the GOP is making plans now as to how to undo this should it happen and that GOP candidates make repeal a part of their campaigns.

DerKrieger on February 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Any bill passed by reconciliation MUST have an expiration date attached to the bill. i.e. Bush’s tax cuts. It’s not a perfect law, and it may take time, but it can be undone at some point—even if it will be difficult.

Rovin on February 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM

If they force this takeover, I can guarantee that we will not allow this Marxist coup de main to stand.

elduende on February 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM

TV’s on but muted. Mark Levin is on the radio!

IrishEi on February 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM

OMG~

Blood on the snout of this killer whale~

Allah, can we have a BOR and Geraldo are morons thread?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

^^^^^^^ that was for you Hornet

O/T~can we release Geraldo and BOR in the wild and just ‘let them go’?
Please?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

IrishEi on February 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Thought the same thing as I was watching that–how could they not see how arrogant Obambi was–interrupting, monopolizing the meeting, being condenscending?

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Hey my FB friend, I thought the same thing…then, I wondered (and I don’t know the answer, cuz I don’t watch CBS,ABC,NBC,CNN or MSNBC)…how did the dinosaur media cover this? Probably not ekzactly like it happened in real time. Ya’ think?

Chewy the Lab on February 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM

See, this is the same mentality that gets men lost while driving. No matter how many times they are told they are going the wrong way, not only will they not listen, they won’t ask for directions either.

milwife88 on February 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM

My cats just jumped when I LOL…

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

She has to try and get the votes, she has no choice. The Senate and House bills cannot be amdended in conference (thanks to Senator McConnell), it’s either adopt the Senate bill as-is, or nothing. In order to pursue reconciliation, there needs to be a bill to reconcile. Right now, there isn’t one.

joejm65 on February 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM

O/T~can we release Geraldo and BOR in the wild and just ‘let them go’?
Please?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

I saw that — what putzes. BOR is circling the drain. Earlier it was the right of Govt to seize/destroy private arms in an emergency, then it was some inherent right to health care, now it’s just drop Shamu in the deep blue see. Hairaldo is just being himself, bloviating on all that he does not know. Sheesh

AH_C on February 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Thanks!
lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM

YW, T…

joejm65 on February 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM

^^^^^^^ that was for you Hornet

O/T~can we release Geraldo and BOR in the wild and just ‘let them go’?
Please?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM
IrishEi on February 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I should follow your lead, Irish. My migraine just went up a notch~folks….

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM

AH_C on February 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I need to stop watching…..he’s ALMOST as bad as Greta.

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Are there two more ridiculous men on TV? (Shep Smith?) I saw that O’Reilly has lumped the evil insurance companies in with the evil oil companies for making evil profits. There is nothing better then watching some poor schlub try to explain profit margins to BO, it wrist slashing time.

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM

REMEMBER!!!!!

Obama is not an ideologue. He said so.

jukin on February 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM

AH_C on February 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM

It’s lent. Fish on Fridays!

Vince on February 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM

joejm65 on February 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Former Senator Santorum said this morning that the reconciliation process allowed for unlimited amendments. There is political pitfalls to that obviously. Like actually being the obstructionist that they have been called for the last year but they could keep this going until January 2011.

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I should follow your lead, Irish.
HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Well then, you better crack open a Guinness. That and listening to Levin is the only thing that cures me after listening to this type of tripe. Just finished a conversation with a liberal friend who insists that the Tillie the Killer Whale was hungry and mistook the trainer’s ponytail for one of the little fish that they feed him.

IrishEi on February 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM

You notice BOR doesn’t have Cavuto on anymore….Cavuto made him look like the boob that he is.

BTW, your posts always make me crave brownies….you’re killing me, Cindy!

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM

O/T~can we release Geraldo and BOR in the wild and just ‘let them go’?
Please?

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Or drop them in the tank at Sea World?

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM

IrishEi on February 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Listening to Mark Levin makes me want to kill something. I can’t take the ranting…plus, on AM, after 4:30 pm, there is a Spanish station from El Peso/Mexico that competes with Mark’s signal..it’s like ranting over a pachanga.

You should offer to fly your liberal friend to Orlando and tell him to go and counsel that whale….j/k…aren’t liberal friends a hoot…it just makes it sweeter when you gloat…”See, I told you so!”….to someone you know and love.

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:46 PM

These people are pushing majority rule, when that’s not the way this country is set up. The differing representation of senate/house and the electoral college prevent that. But they keeping asserting majority rule as in 2004 Bush re-up was a “stolen” election fairy tale.
Meanwhile they want rights and votes for illegals, and entitlements for a majority of non taxpayers over taxpayers, while spinning the majority BS. There’s really not a majority that wants HC.
We live in unprecedented times, and if they try the cramdown, we may get unpresidented one way or another. This can’t go on til 2012, bad karma and all, dontcha know.

ontherocks on February 26, 2010 at 8:46 PM

They can talk reconciliation all they want, but the problem now isn’t in the Senate it’s in the House. Even if they have a few “no” votes in their pocket in the House, nobody is talking about fixing the abortion funding issues via reconciliation and that leaves them short of 217 in the House. I think what he’s going to do is to try to look “biapartisan” by telling his caucas to get together with Republicans and figure out how to incorporate some of the Republican ideas from the Summit. They are taking way too much crap on this and he desparately needs some of that crap to start falling on the Republicans. Calling them the party of “no” won’t work anymore, so the next best thing (it seems to me) is to force them to the table to negotiate and take a piece of the hit from the American public for: 1. continuing the health care discussion when we really want them to focus on the economy, and 2. the bill if/when they can coerce a couple Republicans to vote for a bill with “their ideas” in it.

jdp629 on February 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Craving them won’t kill you, you actually have to eat them. And in mass quantities.

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM

They would also be distracted by a pony tail and do all sorts of unimaginable damage.

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Chewy the Lab on February 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I was forced to watch NBC, because the patient I was sitting with was watching it…they only had good clips of Obama, and made it look like the repubs were contentious…it was killing me…

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I agree. If it comes to that, I hope they stonewall for the rest of the year. Still, they need something to stonewall, since there isn’t a final bill to haggle about yet. The House CAN amdend the Senate bill to their liking, but it would then have to go back to the Senate and get 60 votes, which ain’t gonna happen.

joejm65 on February 26, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Amdend = amend. Sigh…

joejm65 on February 26, 2010 at 8:54 PM

That was 2000 stolen election fairytale, not 04 re-up, my bad.

ontherocks on February 26, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I think Obama should call it “The Shining Path Forward on Healthcare.”

Exurban Jon on February 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM

How ’bout The Unprecedented Shining Ted Kennedy Responsibility Path Forward on Health Insurance Reform and Health Care Investment Act

kringeesmom on February 26, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Has anybody else received a robo call tonight asking you to call your congress member? An unidentified organization left a message on my answering machine asking me to call Dave Reichert, 8th district of Washington State. The gist of the message was to urge my representative to vote for the passage of Obamacare. I know that conservative radio station shows were expecting pro Obamacare spam/seminar phone calls but who is paying and/or coordinating these type of calls to American citizens. Is it OFA, SEIU, ACORN, or MoveOn?

Americannodash on February 26, 2010 at 9:07 PM

i’m tired.

This is so wrong. In so many ways. I just can’t fight anymore.

I am supposed to fight but I can’t. I was told to stop the fight. I won’t stop,

They’re going to get me or kill me and I don’t care anymore. We’re closing in to say tat there are alternatives, bue there is no …… cut off

Key West Reader on February 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Why would you want to poison the Orca’s?

chemman on February 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM

They are just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks, they have no way forward. If they had the way forward they would have passed this thing months ago It is a comedy to watch.

chasnleo on February 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM

OMFG

Sorry fot the above post.

Key West Reader on February 26, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Barry doesn’t have the guts. And if he does try to force reconciliation, it proves he doesn’t have the brains.

GarandFan on February 26, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Key West Reader on February 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Loved your comment from the Steny thread a couple of days back…

I left you this anwer:

Key West Reader on February 23, 2010 at 6:08 PM
Dig if you will: A picture.

This is what it sounds like, when libs fly!

Thanks for the laugh!

massrighty on February 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Key West Reader on February 26, 2010 at 9:13

back away from the high fructose corn syrup and everything will be OK.

ontherocks on February 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Major Garrett earlier said, he was certain they didn’t have the votes for this. Obama says March 29th, now suddenly he has news, that waits til next week? I’ve never in my life seen sucn ineptitude, and inconsistency from a President. This is rediculous.

capejasmine on February 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM

i’m tired.

This is so wrong. In so many ways. I just can’t fight anymore.

I am supposed to fight but I can’t. I was told to stop the fight. I won’t stop,

Key West Reader on February 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM

DO Not Succumb! That’s what they want!

Chewy the Lab on February 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM

capejasmine on February 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Presidential PsyOps. Batter us until we stop caring. Like that will work…

joejm65 on February 26, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Time once again to burn up the phone lines of congress. Its going to have to be a daily occurrence between now and voting time.

tommer74 on February 26, 2010 at 9:39 PM

And the solution is so simple…start over. I guess it’s so very simple that the Dems and O cannot see it. Wonder why O will not come right out and say why he and his are so unwilling to include GOP suggestions in a newly born bill. Now that I think about it, I’ve never heard a reason except that ‘doing nothing is worse’. Know I’ll hear the usual ‘it’s a road toward bigger government’ answer but there has to be more to it than that for the Dems and O to be so busily rushing towards the abyss. Guess they do think it’s the only way to go to cover the missing 30 million. But, why are they so ready to irreparably offend the other many million more? They’ve lost sight of us it seems. Makes no sense, none at all.

jeanie on February 26, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I just can’t fight anymore.

Just what Obama wants. Please do not give up. Apparently wearing folks down is one of his ploys.

jeanie on February 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM

For Key West Reader and others that are feeling discouraged:
This is SO posturing. They want you to be discouraged. They want you to roll over. They want you to think they have won.

The strategy is to make you disheartened and to make you believe that they can pass this through reconciliation. I’m being redundant, but it truly is the “Don’t pay attention to the man behind the curtain,” thingy.
THEY. CAN’T. DO. IT.
They can try, and they will, but you talk about a flippin nightmare in the courts?????!!!!
Again, they will try, but you have to remain strong and fight them with every breath in your body. They are counting on us being SHEEPLE and saying, ffffffiiiiiinnnnneee.
But, I’m not falling for it, and I don’t expect you to either.
If you get weary and feel like you need to drop your musket, there are a bucket load of us behind you willing to pick it–and you–up and help you carry the load, but in turn, you can’t give up!
Be strong friend!

Chewy the Lab on February 26, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Okay, can someone explain to me how “kabuki” got into the current political lexicon?

Kabuki is traditional Japanese “theatre” . . . .

I am just curious as to who first applied this term to the political arena . . . .

Kabuki is pretty cool, while political kabuki is not.

Are we just using this word to refer to the political dance??

Check http://www.moonbattery.com and scroll down to find you some Kabuki and kabuki.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention I despise Obama.

Every breath he takes every move he makes . . . .

Sherman1864 on February 26, 2010 at 9:52 PM

All it’s gonna take is defeat of the reconciliation attempt, and this 2 bit narcissist is gonna be calling the dinosaurs on his knees in the toilet all day while Manchelle handles his photo ops.
When it becomes obvious he wants no mas, someone in the media will leak his real background to the uninformed, and it will be rout on.
At that point the temptation to publish the greatest scandal
in US History will be too strong even for the corrupted MSM.

ontherocks on February 26, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Let me try to explain…maybe because this president is actually very stupid, a good campaigner and a horrible leader with no common sense?
Just a guess tho…after spending a couple of trillion for no jobs, and claiming (after the trillions spent) victory.

right2bright on February 26, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Oh geez! Give it a rest! You were wrong!

Vince on February 26, 2010 at 8:19 PM

How so? If you go back and look at what I wrote about what would happen after the summit, I was correct.

neurosculptor on February 26, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Obama is acting out of pure anger now. He was made to look bad yesterday and now he’s doing his tantrum.

He doesn’t care anymore. Like he said, he’d rather be a “great” one termer then mediocre 2 termer.
He’s a kamikaze president now.

B Man on February 26, 2010 at 10:31 PM

More like “Great Leap Forward.”

29Victor on February 26, 2010 at 10:33 PM

O/T: If the bill dies who will the leftists blame?
1. Republicans
2. Obama and the Republicans
3. Dem leadership on the Hill and the Republicans
4. The evil insurance companies and their wholly owned subsidiaries, the Republicans
5. The Tea Partiers and the Republicans
6. Sarah Palin and the Republicans
7. Themselves (as if)
8. Blue Dogs and the Republicans
9. Scott Brown and the Republicans
10. Teddy Kennedy and the healthcare system (most of whom are probably Republicans) that couldn’t save him and his precious Senate seat.

txmomof6 on February 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM

We are dealing with morons here.

Metro on February 26, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Sorry if this has already been addressed in the comments, but don’t reconciliation bills sunset after 5 years? I thought that was why the Bush tax cuts will expire – they were passed with reconciliation, right? It seems insane to pass something like this, if extension will have to be debated just around the time that it’s provisions are kicking in, and after billions in taxes have already been collected…..or am I mistaken on this?

Priscilla on February 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I guess we will have to wait until Obams returns from his communion with the other gods on Mount Olympus to hear his decision.

PattyJ on February 26, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Again, it is not about health care reform with this Muslim Racist! It’s Reparations Straight Up! Obama is Acorn, Reverend Wright,Farrakan, Black Panthers, Al Sharpton, and Jessie Jackson packaged as a lying, smiling, cunning, Communist, Affirmative Action, fraud. Seen through that prism, everything he does makes perfect sense. He is on a Jihad type of mission! It’s pay back time!

BTW let’s add Shep, DR Lamont Hill, Bob Beckel, and Kisten Powers to the list to feed to the sharks? Whales? Whatever! Fox needs to muck the stall.(In the Bluegrass it means Clean House, Actually The Barn)

Marco on February 26, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Video Parody — Obama Channels Joe Pesci on reconciliation: http://www.youtube.com/user/Optoons#p/u/0/nJUQN2juXck

Mervis Winter on February 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Saw my doctor friend today. He said his office was FULL (Senior citizens) and they were ALL very worried about Obamacare passing. Doctors are also very worried; many will retire early.

2010: Early Retirement for Democrat Majority

TN Mom on February 27, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

…and I heard they have to vote up or down on every single one.

Talk about kamikazi.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 27, 2010 at 4:37 AM

I’ve let my congress-critter know that regardless of his vote, he will hang from the yardarm of reconciliation with the democrat party, if reconciliation is of their choosing.

Hopefully he’s getting the same message from many of his constituents to forward back to party leadership.

You can die on this hill, but it doesn’t mean your party can hold that ground against the will of the people…. your choice congressman.

bloviator on February 27, 2010 at 8:25 AM

He has 3 more years anyway.

And even if the lifetime marxist dream can’t be passed, 3 years is more than enough to destroy the country.

He doesn’t need Congress to do that either. If another law is never passed, he can easily bring down the country with executive orders. Plus he has no qualms with violating the law. It take the Supreme court about a decade to get around to overturning illegatlies. Look at what he has been able to do all by his little self so far.

So passing the most destructive legislation in the country’s history is only icing on the cake. He won, remember.

notagool on February 27, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Obama thinks he is in Kenya …

tarpon on February 27, 2010 at 1:46 PM

In the worst of all possible worlds for the Democrats the House could pass the bill and the Senate not pass the “fix.” That would result in a bill that no one wants becoming law. It would also start tax increases this year and benefits, such as they are, only in 2014. Boy, what a platform that is to run on. I can just imagine their campaign slogan, “We’re both incompetent and destructive! So vote for us!!”

Fred 2 on February 28, 2010 at 3:36 AM

The Dems will also have to get around the Senate parliamentarian rulings that should go against them and the potentially infinite number of amendments the Republicans can pursue as part of reconciliation. So while Pelosi can hand out all the bribes and threats she wants I find it difficult to see how the “Fix” will work in the Senate. And if it can’t work how could Pelosi’s end work either, as no one wants to walk the plank for a bill that can’t possibly be “fixed.”

Fred 2 on February 28, 2010 at 3:49 AM

Again, let U.S. remember what reconciliation means. Balancing the amount of money you think (your checking account has) and what another organization (your bank) says it has. Remember, the only time that what you knew what amount of money your account had in it and what the bank says you have was when you first opened the account.

From that point forward you have always have to subtract various amounts from your banks statement to arrive at what you think you have in your account.

Even after all that subtracting, (that’s taking away, for liberals who never took economics in college or high school), the amounts usually never are reconciled or in blance with each other.

Therefore, it is obvious that Demoncrates will do whatever they need to do to take more (subtracting) of what we think we have, to do whatever they want to do for themselves, not U.S..

MSGTAS on March 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM