Disaffected lefties launch … “Coffee Party” movement

posted at 5:52 pm on February 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

I’ve read the WaPo profile, looked at their website, watched the two videos below, and I still don’t quite get it. They’re claiming, essentially, to be nonpartisan and less interested in pushing particular policies than in “dialogue” and “cooperation” for their own sake. Which, given the realities in the Senate, is a very thinly veiled way of calling for fewer filibusters and more Democratic — sorry, I mean bipartisan — legislation. Here’s their statement of principles, for what it’s worth; assuming they stick around, it’ll be fun to watch how this changes once the GOP has a majority in both chambers again.

We want the political process broken down into three steps:
1) open and respectful dialogue
2) thoughtful and informed deliberation
3) competent and decisive execution.

The process is so broken, we can’t get past step 1 right now. We demand cooperation, productivity and accountability in government in the same way we would demand it of an employee we might hire for a job.

We want local chapters to have the autonomy to figure out their own legislative and electoral priorities. At the national level, we’ll make recommendations for direct action on legislation. But they will only be suggestions. We value and celebrate diverse opinions just as we value and celebrate diverse backgrounds. All that is required to be part of this movement is a sincere commitment to participating in, and protecting the democratic process.

A friendly reminder from George Will: The American democratic process, especially in the Senate, includes the right to obstruct. Right, Mr. President? Exit quotation from the WaPo piece: “I don’t really understand what they’re about other than ‘we don’t like the Tea Party’ and ‘we’re for a better process.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

The Coffee Party!?

I say bring it on.

Conservative Samizdat on February 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Granola – Hippie wannabees, can’t come up with an original thought, all they can do is mimic….unfortunately the coffee is keeping them awake so we have to read about their lameness.

Dr Evil on February 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I just went to the coffee party website and this poll was just off to the side:

Poll
In your opinion, what is the most urgent issue?
Immigration
Healthcare
68%
Climate Change
Job Creation
13%
Bank Regulations
Fair Elections
Total votes: 220

Yeeaaahhhh…I’m more than a little suspicious of a group who is so in tune with hard lib policies but out of tune with the rest of the country. Healthcare my butt.

RAB on February 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Hey little madam mao talks about not wanting a sliver of society running the country. So I guess this is a call to arms to anyone who is not caucasian.

sonnyspats1 on February 26, 2010 at 7:26 PM

This is what happens when Starbucks offers free Wi Fi.

Dr Evil on February 26, 2010 at 7:26 PM

upinak on February 26, 2010 at 7:20 PM

You know we’re in trouble if they read all these comments; We’ve given them too many good ideas.
Great hoot, though.

Cybergeezer on February 26, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Hey~I PRACTICE yoga and my husband LOVES ME for it.
But, I don’t hug trees.

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 6:14 PM

As I sit here browsing Hot Air my wife is doing yoga a few feet away. Yoga gets the seal of approval from this right winger!!!

Ampersand on February 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Careful, the grass is still wet with fertilizer…wouldn’t want this grassroots to suffer….

In February 2010, Byler videotaped the “How we Started” video for the Coffee Party movement, a coalition that began as a fan page on Facebook. The Coffee Party movement (CPM) apparently was started in opposition to the Tea Party movement. Mission statement, CPM: The Coffee Party Movement gives voice to Americans who want to see cooperation in government. We recognize that the federal government is not the enemy of the people, but the expression of our collective will, and that we must participate in the democratic process in order to address the challenges that we face as Americans. As voters and grassroots volunteers, we will support leaders who work toward positive solutions, and hold accountable those who obstruct them.

Wikipedia entry for Eric Byler

Oxrock on February 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM

We want the political process broken down into three steps:
1) open and respectful dialogue
2) thoughtful and informed deliberation
3) competent and decisive execution.

How would Maxine Waters fit into this?

DrStock on February 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM

RAB on February 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Hey RAB did you copy that because I see immigration on the top of the page which says to me these people have an agenda for sure.

sonnyspats1 on February 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM

What a babbler.

allrsn on February 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Pete Puma is a leftie? Who knew?

“Oh, no, no tea! Tea give me a headache!”

Rich Fader on February 26, 2010 at 7:32 PM

In support of the exit quote, here is what Annabel Park said on her facebook page which lead to the formation of the “coffee party”.

let’s start a coffee party . . . smoothie party. red bull party. anything but tea. geez. ooh how about cappuccino party? that would really piss ‘em off bec it sounds elitist . . . let’s get together and drink cappuccino and have real political dialogue with substance and compassion.

Really, that’s about it. It’s all about not liking the tea party.

EFG on February 26, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Just watched both videos. Typical Utopianists. People movement but want government freebies. This is the result of 100 years of Progressive indoctrination and history revisionism. They exist in a history free dreamworld…..

adamsmith on February 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM

sonnyspats1 on February 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Yeah sonny! I copied it straight from the website.

RAB on February 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Tea = party
Coffee = klatsch

Don’t they even know that much?

PoodleSkirt on February 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM

New Castrati and Limbaugh’s Undeniable Truth #24 FTW!

Rusty Shackleford on February 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Great movement…launched in the snow, by herself, babbling Progressive-Left talking points about the stupid obstructionist xenophobes who comprise the tea party movement.

EasyEight on February 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Yeh…really feels like a grassroots movement!! Funny how the second video is explicitly partisan and anti-Republican…yet lets all get together and end all the partisanship…

EasyEight on February 26, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Eric Byler works for the Jim Webb (Copperhead-VA) campaign. Nuff said.

Astroturf at it’s finest.

SDN on February 26, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Leave it to the Democrat Party to find some babbling bimbo’s to talk “Valspeak”. And they have Twitter skills! Geezus!

Cybergeezer on February 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Here is Annabel Park’s (the Asian woman in the first video) take on Obama’s virtues vs. Hillary Clinton’s during the 2008 campaign.

If nothing else its worth listening to for the “Obama is we, we, we!” line!

RAB on February 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM

With twits like these making headlines, is there any wonder why the NYT, CNN, ABC, Time, are angry with their distribution?

Cybergeezer on February 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Can I start the Mocha Majority movement??

EasyEight on February 26, 2010 at 7:54 PM

RAB on February 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I could only handle about 25 seconds of that; I’m suspicious she might be a Chinese intelligence agent playing a part for the Libs. They definitely want to stir up dissension.

Cybergeezer on February 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Cybergeezer on February 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Well…she is cute enough to stir me up but otherwise her personality seems kind of bland. A liberal do-gooder? sure. A double agent dragon lady? nah.

RAB on February 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM

If nothing else its worth listening to for the “Obama is we, we, we!” line!

RAB on February 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM

The guy in the video looks like the guy in the 2nd clip here. Doesn’t look like they’ve expanded their base.

Funny how she stresses Obama’s leadership, and how good he is, and now, just uh, like one year after winning, umm, like everything is like falling apart.

El_Terrible on February 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

We want the political process broken down into three steps:
1) open and respectful dialogue
2) thoughtful and informed deliberation
3) competent and decisive execution.

This is standard Progressive puffery. Dewey himself could have written that tripe.

JDPerren on February 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Huh. Searched for these folks after some here provided links. They are the opposite of the Tea Party indeed — they are committed leftist political activists supporting statist progressive agendas. They are not grassroots, they are nutroots.

EasyEight on February 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Someone should remind the “Coffee Party” folks that there already was a coffee campaign — in the ’60s against the expansion of Social Security to include health care (Medicare), called Operation Coffee Cup.

And who was its star?

Tom Chambers on February 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Well, we knew that the progressives are invested in process, and we knew that they spend their time at Starbucks, so the “movement” speaks for itself.

Day-um, I love coffee, but being associated in drink of choice with these morons sends me up a wall.

They have a fundamental disrespect for diversity of opinion. They fail to understand that we don’t have love affairs with our government. We see its power as being defined and limited by us, not the other way around.

I suggest that the se;f-described farm woman volunteer at a food bank and in schools trying to raise the literacy rate instead of worrying that everyone does not have the same health care.

onlineanalyst on February 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Can’t wait to see the astroturfing coffee party protests. Liberals are lazy, no one will show up. (except those who are paid)

shick on February 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM

shick on February 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Like a certain liberal website’s protest in front of the White House. Only four people showed up, but the lady had a megaphone, so….

(Maybe they should have counted the lice in the dude’s dreadlocks. Then the creature count would have been in the millions…)

Grace_is_sufficient on February 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Notice how they’re afraid to put forth any policies they favor.

I wonder why.

misterpeasea on February 26, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Kawfee pahty? I’m all verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.

OhioCoastie on February 26, 2010 at 8:51 PM

The new party for beta males

V-rod on February 26, 2010 at 8:57 PM

3) competent and decisive execution

They lost ObaMao on point #3.

onlineanalyst on February 26, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Boo!
They’re gone.

Vince on February 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I was sue this would be a link to an Onion story. I cannot believe this is real.

angryed on February 26, 2010 at 9:13 PM

If you do not vote with the Democrats you are an obstructionist. That is THE BIG LIE that Obama brought with him and that gets repeated thousands of times an hour by people as naive or dishonest as this nest of vipers.
How can you have dialog when laws are written behind locked doors that Pelosi will only allow Democrats to pass through?
These semi-informed and lying jokers are only encouraging more of the same foolishness from Congress.
How long before we find the Axelrod connection?

snaggletoothie on February 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM

It’s not tea party. It’s T.E.A. Party. Taxed Enough Already! What a bunch of liberal idiots.

Dandapani on February 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Sounds like an Obamao front group for his astro-turfing.

I say – ignore them.

Timothy S. Carlson on February 26, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Decaffeinated Astroturf.

atheling on February 26, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I never could stand coffee anyway and I don`t think I will start anytime soon.

bluemarlin on February 26, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Yeah, that statement from their founder really contributes to civility, doesn’t it?

malclave on February 26, 2010 at 9:57 PM

She used the ‘C’ word. Collective. That says everything we need to know. Another Soros front group. This will be as big as the WH seminar callers to Rush et al. Rush didn’t get any today, if you missed his show.

JimP on February 26, 2010 at 5:58 PM

And “more” + “legislation”…

Not one hint about the U.S. Constitution, though.

Lourdes on February 26, 2010 at 9:59 PM

… push leaders to enact the progressive change for which 52.9 percent of the country voted in 2008.

Yes, in 2008 when Obama ran on the “progressive” platform of real spending cuts, pay-go, a middle class tax cut, and true fiscal responsibility.

This of course is what they’re clamoring for, right?

/sarc

gekkobear on February 26, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Maybe they’d like to join my EGG NOG PARTY. They are giving coffee a bad name. These people are actually with the secret APPLESAUCE PARTY, which they have between their ears.

AmericanDad on February 26, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Or, how about:

THE NOSE PICKERS PARTY

Lourdes on February 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM

So meat eating, gun toting, 10th amendment loving, libertarians from west Texas are welcome? Sweet. I’ll be there!

bitsy on February 26, 2010 at 10:09 PM

“People in Congress? They work for us.”

NO KIDDING! Welcome to the real world kiddos. Man oh man, you are in for a rude awakening. Bless your hearts*

*this is how a Southern Gentlewoman says “F.U.”

Yellowdog12 on February 26, 2010 at 10:10 PM

TEQUILA PARTY!!!

bitsy on February 26, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Hey~I PRACTICE yoga and my husband LOVES ME for it.
But, I don’t hug trees.

HornetSting on February 26, 2010 at 6:14 PM

And I own a Volvo and I recycle…and I’m getting a woodburning stove so I can BURN trees…

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Dandapani on February 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM

C.O.F.F.E.E.

Hmmmmmm? Whatever could those stand for?

SouthernGent on February 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Or, how about:

THE NOSE PICKERS PARTY

Lourdes on February 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I’m thinking some along the lines of coffee enemas….

darii on February 26, 2010 at 10:13 PM

JimP on February 26, 2010 at 5:58 PM
It’s either the Borg, or the Pod People…or the children of the Steppford Wives…

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 10:14 PM

TEQUILA PARTY!!!

bitsy on February 26, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Where do you meet at, and how can I join???

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 10:15 PM

A bit latte to the party.

BrunoMitchell on February 26, 2010 at 10:16 PM

The South Florida chapter will be meeting Sunday afternoons for Lattes and little cakes at Starbucks on South Beach.

Reality Check on February 26, 2010 at 10:17 PM

TEQUILA PARTY!!!

bitsy on February 26, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I don`t think we should waste a good name or good Tequila on these idiots. That needs to be incorporated on our side, I will bring the Patron!

bluemarlin on February 26, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Just in case they’re legitimate, I registered and attempted to add the following comment to a blog post (We Are Democracy Advocates…):

I’ll be honest here… I’m a bit skeptical of the Coffee Party. I will try to keep an open mind, though… your goals are certainly laudable.

While I have never attended a Tea Party protest, I am sympathetic to many (most?) of their positions on things. And to be blunt, much of what is up on the site seems to be anti-Tea Party as much as anything else.

The first step of the outline above states that the Coffee Party desires “open and respectful dialogue”. I would like to ask, therefore, what the Coffee Party’s stance is on those pundits, journalists, and elected officials who use the “teabagger” slur to denigrate their political opponents. And, if you do oppose its use as an impediment to “open and respectful dialogue”, what steps can be taken to address this?

The comment is currently in moderation, which I can understand. However, when I hit “preview comment”, the text displayed was nothing like the above, and instead was just pro-healthcare-takeover-gibberish. I guess that will be my first real indication as to whether they’re honest or not.

malclave on February 26, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Look! It`s snowing! Gives meaning to the beverage “iced coffee”. That is coffee she is holding, right??As I am writing this the young lady is droning on and on and . . . . on . . . . and on . . . . And I scrolled up several times to identify what she is holding . . . .

I will give her a word of advice, please don`t wear a red cloak and go into the dark forest with some hungry wolf after you . . . uh . . . her.

Zzzzzzzzzzz . . . .

Sherman1864 on February 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM

OMG, chick in clip 2 wants to date her government???????????? These people are vapid.

Firefly_76 on February 26, 2010 at 10:28 PM

This is another riff on the Going Rouge theme, and will have about as much traction.

ddrintn on February 26, 2010 at 10:31 PM

That was painful. Good production values, but the content? I’d rather watch Maxine Waters pontificate on fiscal policy.

sulla on February 26, 2010 at 10:31 PM

I getting kind of sick of these idiot lefties calling us stupid because we don’t buy into their bogus utopian vision…

painfulTruthDisciple on February 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM

And who was its star?

Tom Chambers on February 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Love your site!

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM

How about Surprise Party. If the lefties have any good ideas it’ll be a surprise.

Pelayo on February 26, 2010 at 10:37 PM

malclave on February 26, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Can you came back and update us on what happens, did you sign on with your HA handle?

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM

We want the political process broken down into three steps:
1) open and respectful dialogue
2) thoughtful and informed deliberation
3) competent and decisive execution.

How would Maxine Waters fit into this?
DrStock on February 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM

How would half of the Democrat Congress fit in? Plus all of msnbc?

PoodleSkirt on February 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I think the name fits them.

According to a lot of health magazines many imported coffee beans are infected with PARASITES. I don’t know how true this is, but if the shoe fits.

concernedsenior on February 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I keep thinking their tagline should be:
When DKOS and HUFFPO just aren’t whiny enough

mad scientist on February 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM

malclave on February 26, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Maybe we should all join and see what good little trolls we can be. Could be fun; kind of like Rush rubbing his hands in glee waiting for the obots to show up.
With the level of vapidity already shown the words fish and barrel keep popping into my mind, I wonder why?

mad scientist on February 26, 2010 at 10:50 PM

1) open and respectful dialogue

Robert Gibbs has got to go?

2) thoughtful and informed deliberation

Attn: Obam, Pelosi, Reid, please do NOT use tricky math when submitting bills to the CBO. Oh, and, no fair meeting behind closed doors or offering bribes.

3) competent and decisive execution

Close/keep Gitmo? KSM trials in NYC, or no? A January Pivot to jobs in April? Hope & Change or status quo? Campaign or govern? Man-Caused Disasters, Lone Extremist, or Terrorist? No Lobbyist? Bow or deep hand-shake?

The best part of waking up, is folgers in your cup?

TN Mom on February 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I never could stand coffee anyway and I don`t think I will start anytime soon.

bluemarlin on February 26, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I always drink mine with a little whiskey in it–you’d be surprised how much better it tastes that way…

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM

How about getting people to stop walking in front of the camera, or is that part of the artsy vibe.
This looks like alot of Obama drones with nothing better to do after the election. Funny how they were not this reasonable five years ago.

RobCon on February 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I need some coffee to stay awake after those vids.

RobCon on February 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Funny how they were not this reasonable five years ago.

RobCon on February 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Or even one year ago.

ddrintn on February 26, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Top video: So hot but so not.
Bottom video: Umm, what?

Mojave Mark on February 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM

lovingmyUSA on February 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Coffee and Grand Marnier. Mmmmmmmm!

TN Mom on February 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Idiots!

rplat on February 26, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Bless their little wooden heads.

NumberTwo on February 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Bottom video: Umm, what?

Mojave Mark on February 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM

They snorted the coffee beans!!!

TN Mom on February 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM

TEQUILA PARTY!!!

bitsy on February 26, 2010 at 10:10 PM

bluemarlin on February 26, 2010 at 10:20 PM

I was thinking the tequila was for us… I am partial to Herradura silver myself… shake it in a martini shaker full of ice and pour into a rocks glass…. ooo yeah you’re in for a fuuuuun night

TEQUILA PARTY … when tea just doesn’t have enough kick

bitsy on February 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Coffin Party??? Say what???

BoomJunkie on February 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM

The tea party was unique and important because conservatives and right leaning independents don’t typically organize and protest. These we people finding a collective voice for the fist time.

Liberals organizing to protest is just another news day. It’s a dog bytes man story. I’d bet this organization is funded and led by other liberal groups already in existence. It’s marketing 101. Take something old and slap a new name/label on it and sell it as something new and improved.

Ampersand on February 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM

I saw a facebook acquaintance join their facebook page a couple of weeks ago and had to post some of it on my blog.

I just saw another of my facebook friends say this tonight:

The Coffee Party is about sound, reasoned political deliberation and demanding a smart government that works for the people. We are not anti-tea party, but we are against obstructionism and discourse of hatred.

So, they’re “not anti-tea party”, and they are for “reasoned political deliberation” and “the discourse of hatred”, but they refer specifically to “Tea Baggers” and “Knuckle-Headed Baggers” and use the following terms:

“Bagger” “buffoon” “ignoramus” “knuckle dragging” “dumb” “nuts” “simple minded” “knuckle headed” “bozo” “hate filled” “poser ‘patriots’” “clown acts” “ignorance”

“Dedicated to the fun of insulting politically simple minded knuckle headed baggers.”

Sounds like reasoned discourse and a hatred free zone to me, how about you?

philmon on February 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM

The lady on the second video screen cap looks somewhat like the actress from the old MCI Gramercy Press commercials in the mid \’90, but aged about, oh 15 years. Other than that, yeah, what do they stand for besides government doing stuff?

FAIL! But I welcome any and all future efforts.

MarkABinVA on February 26, 2010 at 11:23 PM

The democratic party is so 2008.

Time for the Starbucks party.

B Man on February 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM

The 2nd video was more painful than the 1st “Why would you not want quality health care for everyone -that you don’t even have to pay for.”

No doubt about it, liberalism is a cancer that destroys brain cells

redridinghood on February 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Ok she objects to extreme political tactics so that means she against the nuclear option, right RIGHT /sarc

Gracelynn on February 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM

“The Coffee Party: All Decaffienated, All the Time”

From what I’ve seen here though, their name should be “The Hot Cocoa Party: Now With Soft Squishy Marshmallows!”

ya2daup on February 26, 2010 at 11:34 PM

This is a testament to the effectiveness of the Tea Party Movement.When the GOP regains power in Nov these same people calling for cooperation will be calling for obstruction by the dems. Thus the hypocrisy of the left.

Hera on February 26, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Sorry if this is a repeat but “pot meet kettle”.

I like beer.

“Roll out the barrel.”

Caststeel on February 26, 2010 at 11:38 PM

We want the political process broken down into three steps:
1) open and respectful dialogue
2) thoughtful and informed deliberation
3) competent and decisive execution.

They’ve already had a year’s worth of empirical evidence on precisely the sort of leader Obama is.

How precisely do they imagine that the president we’ve had for the last thirteen months has displayed ANY ability to do any of the above?

Khorum on February 26, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Coffee Party. Hmmmm. Well, they are Chock Full O’ Nuts.

Pilgrimsarbour on February 26, 2010 at 11:46 PM