Are you ready for the British tea party?

posted at 4:10 pm on February 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

Here’s their Facebook page, in case you’re in the UK this Saturday and up for a rally. A guest appearance by Thatcher would be rapturous, but alas, her health wouldn’t permit it. Instead they’ll have to make do with red-state America’s very favorite Tory in the whole wide world.

No doubt, even as we speak, the BBC is working hard on some Brit-flavored, sexually suggestive putdown a la “teabagger” to toss at them.

May I suggest “chipdipper”?

Some of my US readers believe that anti-tax rebellions are an American speciality, but we’ve had plenty of them in this country, from the Poll Tax Riots of 1381 (the Peasants’ Revolt) to the Poll Tax Riots of 1990. The doctrines that inspired the Boston mutineers – above all, the idea that taxes should not be levied without parliamentary process – were borrowed from English political theory…

Of course, there was an extra dimension to the Boston Tea Party: “No Taxation without Representation!” Taxes in the UK may be excessive but they have, so far, been set by our own government. This, though, is changing. If there was one theme that came out of the hearings for the new European Commissioners, it was their determination to create a direct revenue stream for the EU. Herman Van Rompuy, a declared enthusiast for the global managament of our planet, maintains that “recent developments in the euro area highlight the urgent need to strengthen our economic governance,” (hat-tip, Stephen Castle). “Whether it is called coordination of policies or economic government, only the European Council is capable of delivering and sustaining a common European strategy for more growth and more jobs.”

Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see how much the two movements diverge given the EU wild card and the fact that British taxes are much higher than ours. As I said last week after that nut flew his plane into the Austin IRS office, taxes have actually been a minor issue at American tea parties for the simple reason that the Democrats have been terrified of hiking them thus far. That’ll change eventually — although if the GOP takes back Congress, “eventually” may be a long way away — but for now, if you want rallies focused on meat-and-potatoes anti-tax populism, the Brits might be the better bet.

Can’t have a post about Hannan without the clip that made him internationally famous, so here you go. He sure does talk funny for a racist chipdippin’ redneck. Oh, and he’s no longer much of a fan of our glorious president, either. Go see why.

Update: A belated exit question from the comments: Is it too late for Britain? For years they’ve been struggling under an even heavier load of statism than Americans have. They may simply be … too exhausted to get this going.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Steve Z on February 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Yeah, somtimes ye learn stuff from yer kids…

Romeo13 on February 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Is it too late for Britain?

A speech from a Great American Statesman…..

John Blutarski

ted c on February 26, 2010 at 5:30 PM

British Pound could collapse within weeks

MB4 on February 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Interesting, I listened to Hannan on Beck’s show today, and Glenn was asking him about the financial calamity in Greece and what it means to the EU (Hannan: member of EU Parliment), he commented that the one saving grace was that the UK wasn’t on the Euro, but kept the pound…)
Sounds like Jim Rogers thinks this is a case of rose colored glasses…I like JR a lot…but hope he’s wrong, for if the Brits go down, guess who’s next????

Chewy the Lab on February 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM

A better link for our British Cousins.

ted c on February 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Bald, conservative and ballsy… it’s the new sexy!

katy on February 26, 2010 at 4:31 PM

damn, theres a good reason for me to make my receding hairline go all the way back…

ted c on February 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM

In the interest of building camaraderie, are the American Tea Party and the UK Tea Party considering staging a series of home-and-home sports competitions?

ya2daup on February 26, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Ohhh! I like! Thinking up some of the competitions for the “Tea Party Olymics” (Logo, 5 teacups interlinked????s/) could be pretty cool, but probably requires alcohol.

Chewy the Lab on February 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM

UK taxes ARE insane. I got into an argument with a bunch of hardcore libs a couple of years ago (on a BRIDAL message board: that was my first mistake, but I was a bride and they got into the political conversation and I felt my side was underrepresented), and the ONLY person who would back me up was a British woman who told me “yeah, I owe an additional tax for every TV I have in my household.”

Not that that’s the worst they’ve got, but if they’re taxing the number of TVs in homes, you know there’s nothing they won’t tax.

Anywhoozle, I do think it might be a bit late for the Brits, who’re so deeply entrenched in their welfare state that I doubt they have the will to claw their way out. Furthermore, all the hallmarks of liberal culture are there: widespread anti-religious sentiment, appeasement of anti-western immigrants, etc. That’s a pretty deeply-ingrained set of mores to overcome.

And Allah, I’m not saying I have a problem with atheists. I’m saying that freedom of religion is an important basis to western society, and when a culture begins to resent religion as a whole, it’s rarely a good sign.

Animator Girl on February 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Chewy the Lab on February 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Okay, now it sounds like you’re recommending a drinking game with the Brits/Scots/Irish, and I’m certain that would end with new livers for the Americans. No way can we beat them. Although an Olympic drinking game sounds intriguing….

Animator Girl on February 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Why is it at 1:00 – 1:07, he looks like he is ready to bust out laughing?

It makes it look like it is all for good theatre.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM

It’s not per TV, Animator Girl, it’s per household (so when we had a second home, we paid twice). And technically it’s not a tax, it’s a license. It’s how the BBC gets the money to fund all that boring lefty crap nobody’s interested in watching.

S. Weasel on February 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

I don’t get it. Where was his teleprompter? Did they just crop it out of the shot or something??

KGB on February 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Time for the Brits to take back their country from the depredations of the left. Good luck!

jeanie on February 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM

ah yes, because it would be McCain “Starting war” as opposed to the Outlaws running the place now who started their regime on the basis of Declaring war against the USA?

and that means a conservative such as Hannan should support a Marxist like Obama or a loon like paul

jp on February 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM

The number one goal for actual conservatives is to defeat the neocons. The problem is that conservative Hannan didn’t realize Obama was a Neo as well.

The Dean on February 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Good for Daniel Hannan. It’s time for all good men to come to the aid of their country no matter which one it is.
I just got a note from the Tea Pary Patriots that said that England isn’t the only country interested. They have been working with other countries since the inception. The word is spreading that we don’t have to take this crap anymore!

BetseyRoss on February 26, 2010 at 5:52 PM

The Brits never had the American brand of liberty. Our Constitution is a one-of-a-kind. Given their form of government, and that culturally they’re accustomed to socialism, I can’t see a Tea Party type movement gaining much steam over there.

orlandocajun on February 26, 2010 at 4:20 PM

yubley on February 26, 2010 at 5:52 PM

“Since the original Boston Tea Party was British subjects (in the American colonies) protesting excessive taxation from an unelected faraway power, and the British are now protesting excessive taxation from an unelected European Commission, there could be some parallels that could make this movement catch on.”
Steve Z on February 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Exactly. The Brits are further along the global governance curve than we right now. Their choice would seem to be acquiesce in paternalized tyranny, or rebel.

Any Brits looking in, be assured that the power of political fear is the only thing standing between US terminal decline and a return to constitutional governance.

Timing is on our side over here. The One(termer) botched it so greivously that we’ve had a full year to shake our totems and pitchforks in their faces, with still another 8 months to drive up sales of ulcer medicine in DC.

redneck hippie on February 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Animator Girl on February 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

You need to remember that the welfare state only exists because some people are paying into it, and those who pay in (through those high taxes) are not at all pleased to see parasites feeding from it.

Furthermore, given the damage done to UK finances through the government’s economic incompetence, the welfare state might need to be trimmed so even those who love it because it gives generously to them might soon be rudely awakened to economic and political reality.

YiZhangZhe on February 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM

“The USA is Britain’s greatest success story. I’ve been to the family home of George Washington in England. Who do you think the colonists were, Polish?
yubley on February 26, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Exactly. Happening to be a 13th generation descendant of a few folks who took their chances in the colony of Massachusetts before settling the Old Northwest and places like Kansas and Missouri, the kinship couldn’t be more strong.

redneck hippie on February 26, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Check out this video of Hannan:

numbeddown on February 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Hannan would be even hotter if he’d shave his head. Think Winston Churchill meets Michael Chicklis.

Infidoll on February 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Like all things…if it’s worth having, it’s worth fighting for. Fight the good fight Brits, and I’ll be praying for you! It’s NEVER to late!!!

capejasmine on February 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Doesn’t anyone else think it’s a little strange that the British would use the Tea Party as a symbol?

Scrappy on February 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM

The British are not too proud to use a good idea, or a good word, that others invented.

Despite what lots of commentators here seem to think, Britain isn’t universally socialist-loving or America-hating. As others noted, the USA is England’s most successful export and a lot of British can look beyond the occasional accident (like the election of Mr Obama) or foreign policy disaster and admire much of what America accomplished without feeling envious or resentful.

The British understand that they are themselves a mongrel people and that every culture grew from a seed planted somewhere else.

For example, it wasn’t that long ago (1970) that British money was still written informally using symbols derived from the Latin words for the Roman coinage used when England was part of the Roman empire.

YiZhangZhe on February 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM

S. Weasel on February 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Thank you for the clarification. Pretty screwy, still. Why would you need a license to own a TV?

Animator Girl on February 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Palin – Hannan will be the Reagan-Thatcher of the coming years.

lonestar1 on February 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Animator Girl on February 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Once-upon-time, when TV and radio were new-fangled things, the TV sets had their own cabinets and enormous radios took a full 30 seconds to warm-up before you could hear anything, there was only one broadcaster, the BBC.

The BBC was the voice of the nation and of the entire Empire/Commonwealth. The British were keen to ensure that the BBC should be utterly impartial in its reporting and hence, to ensure that it was beholden to no-one, it was not allowed to be funded by the government through general taxation, nor to raise money by advertising.

Hence a new source of revenue was required and invented … the radio licence and the TV licence. The radio licence was abandoned long ago but the TV licence has remained. To this day, domestic BBC broadcasts contain no advertising whatsoever and the BBC still fiercely guards its editorial independence any hint of government meddling.

YiZhangZhe on February 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Infidoll on February 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM

LOL.

I wish the Shield was still on TV. Great show.

Conservative Samizdat on February 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM

The British people were nuts to let the pacifist Left disarm them. Our NRA came from there and from Conan Doyle… Queen Victoria opened shooting ranges, in pubs. Now terrorized by criminals, in fear of being able to protect themselves lest the innocent victim be prosecuted for endangering the criminal, with the Bobbies having to wear body armor and have automatic weapons due to the influx of the latter to the criminal element, and beset by high taxes… the British citizen has moved from subjects of government to objects of government.

Citizens can back themselves up to change government.

Subjects find that much more difficult.

Objects need a way to become subjects and then Citizens.

Taxes are the least of their worries at this point. Becoming government’s objects needs to be remedied. Perhaps looking at the Declaration of Independence might put them in mind of how our colonists felt as objects of government, deprived of their say in government as Citizens.

ajacksonian on February 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM

It just occurred to me that now is a good time to be investing in woad. Anybody know who the leading companies in that business are?

joe_doufu on February 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM

joe_doufu on February 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM

These guys should know.

Rosmerta on February 26, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I never get tired of that video. I’ve watched it any number of times. When I hear people say Obama’s such a great speaker, Daniel Hannan is who I point them to.

Rosmerta on February 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM

or maybe… they are even more p!$$d off than we are and have even more reason to fight.

Poor Allahpunditpundit, so pessimistic! You know, Austin celebrates your birthday every year in April in Pease park.

bitsy on February 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Well I share a gene pool with all Brits… so if it’s in my DNA to love freedom more than safety, it came from somewhere.

I was commenting on an article in one of the Brit papers a couple of weeks ago… I went all Thomas Paine… Some small lone UK voice said he/she wished they could have a tea party over there.

I told them to get a few like minded together and go dump some tea in the Thames and they would probably find, as we did over here, you are not alone.

I said having a grown man cry on national TV about it might help too (Glen Beck is taken).

My point is? This was all my idea! :)

petunia on February 27, 2010 at 5:54 AM

It’s too late for the Brits because of the demographic time bomb they’ve activated. They’re turning Islam-ese. Colonialism will collect its dues.

exdeadhead on February 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Unfortunately, Britain is so far gone now that revolution and a new constitution is the only hope they have. I don’t know if they can pull it off.

conservnut on February 27, 2010 at 8:41 AM

While Hannan is my very favorite limey, Tea Party? Really? Something just is not right about the Brits using that term to describe their protest. I mean I guess we should be flattered, but something about that is just wrong.

conservnut on February 27, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I’d suggest “shirtlifters” my favorite obscure, British, homosexual reference.

Hucklebuck on February 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Rosmerta on February 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM

+1 This clip of him speaking is spectacular. It’s so good that it just embarrasses those mobys trying to neg-hit it or sow confusion:

Why is it at 1:00 – 1:07, he looks like he is ready to bust out laughing? It makes it look like it is all for good theatre.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Not convincing — nice try.

RD on February 27, 2010 at 11:53 PM