Reid: No one’s talking about reconciliation

posted at 2:20 pm on February 25, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

If the Pelosi argument that ObamaCare was really a jobs bill qualified as the weirdest moment of the summit, then Harry Reid’s laughable backpedal on reconciliation was the most dishonest. Democrats have threatened to use reconciliation for weeks, ever since the Senate passed a bill that no one thought had a prayer of getting enough votes in the House. Even Robert Gibbs talked about reconciliation as a strategy to get a bill passed. And the NRSC reminds Harry Reid that he offered it just six days ago as a potential solution to the Democratic dilemma … on television, no less:

Where’s Joe Wilson when we need him?

Also, Kristin Kolehouse did a little digging on reconciliation — and discovered Robert Byrd’s opposition to it when Bill Clinton wanted to jam HillaryCare through the Senate:

In 1993, my own Democratic leadership–now, listen to this. In 1993, my own Democratic leadership pleaded with me. How many of my friends on the Republican side today would stand as firm as the Rock of Gibraltar as I did on that occasion? The Democratic leadership pleaded with me at length to agree to support the idea that the Clinton health care bill should be included in that year’s reconciliation package. They came to my office on the floor below. Not only did Majority Leader George Mitchell and others of my colleagues attempt to persuade me to go along and not raise a point of order under the Byrd rule, which would require 60 votes to waive, President Clinton got on the phone and called me also and pressed me to allow his massive health care bill to be insulated by reconciliation’s protection. He called me on the telephone. Here is the President of the United States calling this lowly former coal town boy and asking me to let his huge health bill come before the Senate on that fast track. I could not, in good conscience, however, look the other way and not make that point of order and allow what would clearly have been an abuse of congressional intent to occur.

How many others would do that today on that side of the aisle, stand against their President. Well, perhaps that is not too important.

I felt that changes as dramatic as the Clinton health care package, which would affect every man, woman, and child in the United States, should be subject to scrutiny. I said: Mr. President, I cannot in good conscience turn my face the other way. That is why we have a Senate–to amend and to debate freely–and that health bill, important as it is, is so complex, so far reaching that the people of this country need to know what is in it and, moreover, Mr. President, we Senators need to know what is in it.

Not too many appear to consider important now.  I wonder if Byrd himself still does.

Comments

Where’s Joe Wilson when we need him?

Gagged in a corner with Duct Tape.

But I am with ya Ed.

upinak on February 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Since Joe Wilson isn’t there to say it, maybe I can fill in for him:

Reid, YOU LIE!

Pelozilla, YOU LIE!

B.O., YOU LIE!

Democrats as a whole, YOU LIE!

pilamaye on February 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

And yet….I have no doubts….that somehow….someway….a liberal will spin this , and try to convince us, Reid did not lie.

capejasmine on February 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I am just appalled that Harry Reid is an elected official.

There’s not a bigger crapbag in politics, although Pelosi is close.

NoDonkey on February 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

That so called “leader”, McConnell should have Joe Wilson, front and center.

ultracon on February 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

That so called “leader”, McConnell should have Joe Wilson, front and center.

ultracon on February 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Not for lack of trying. I read Republicans wanted Doctors, and Governors invited, but that was nixed. *shrugs*

capejasmine on February 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM

That so called “leader”, McConnell should have Joe Wilson, front and center.

ultracon on February 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

with a bullhorn

tommer74 on February 25, 2010 at 2:28 PM

It depends on what the meaning of the word, lie is.

Lily on February 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Tard.

fogw on February 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Since the polls came out and reconciliation …

tarpon on February 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Bush 2 tried to use reconciliation to open up the artic for drilling and Congress under Clinton reformed welfare by use of reconciliation. What was said almost 20 years ago doesn’t matter any more.

Jimbo3 on February 25, 2010 at 2:30 PM

They ought to have that buzzer from the “Taboo” game. Every time a lie is uttered….bzzzzz, followed by YOU LIE!!

tommer74 on February 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM

This was the day before yesterday:

Reid to GOP: “Stop crying” about reconciliation already

I so wish someone would tell him, on camera, to stop lying.

Pablo on February 25, 2010 at 2:33 PM

What was said almost 20 years ago doesn’t matter any more.

Jimbo3 on February 25, 2010 at 2:30 PM

What about what was said six days ago?

notropis on February 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM

This is turning into an epic fail for the Dems

WisCon on February 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM

What was said almost 20 years ago doesn’t matter any more.

Jimbo3 on February 25, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Typical lib. History means nothing. Let’s just make sh!t up as we go along.

Dominion on February 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Jimbo3 on February 25, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I already responded on another thread, that the use of reconcilliation for drilling wasn’t right…but welfare is a budget issue, and reforming it was a good thing. We need to strive more, to get people working , and off of welfare, and entitlement programs.

Almost 3/4 of Americans have voiced themselves by saying….start over, we don’t want this massive, expensive government take over of our health care system. This bill is not a good thing, and shouldn’t these elected officials listen to those who pay their paychecks?

capejasmine on February 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM

YOU.

LIE.

Where are the lib trolls defending their boys up there?

NO pithy comebacks or meaningless thread hijackings from crr6, Grow Fins, ernesto or others?

Wonder why.

Good Lt on February 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I swear…Reid could be caught and witnessed stealing, and carrying a bag of stolen money, and liberals would defend him.

capejasmine on February 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

How is Marsha Blackburn doing? I can’t stomach watching the thing.

SouthernGent on February 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

WTF? This is stone-cold lying.

Oh man, I need a drink.

Bishop on February 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Trolls can’t type with all the tears of defeat in their eyes. Going to watch Olbermann tonight. It may be the night his head explodes on air. We’ll see who he “goddamns” tonight. And see if instead of six litres of infection drained from dear old dad, the number goes to nine. Have you no shame, Sir, using your father like that? Oh, I forgot it’s Olbergoebbels…..

adamsmith on February 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Do these people have absolutely no concept what-so-ever how simple it is demonstrably prove thi statement as a bald-faced LIE!

A quick Yahoo search (I refuse to use Google sinCe early in the election cycle), when you get as far as typing “recon” auto suggest offers up reconcilliation. Hit the search tab and it currently registers 79,200,000 hits! Clearly then someone is talking about reconcilliation.

Has Joeseph Goebbels risen from the grave to reiterate his counsel Dhim’s that one merely needs keep repeating a lie for it to beleived?

That Goebbels declared frankly that he adopted the practices of American Progressives as the template for his propaganda machine, perhaps his counsel was not needed by their modern acolytes today.

Archimedes on February 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Where are the lib trolls defending their boys up there?

Wonder why.

Good Lt on February 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Ernesto isn’t really a troll. crr6, Grow Fins and the Canuk just post non-sequiturs and insults. Ernesto usually has a point, even if you disagree with him.

Asher on February 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Is if they aren’t talking, what are they using, smoke signals & semaphores?

Since Joe Wilson isn’t there to say it, maybe I can fill in for him:

Reid, YOU LIE!

Pelozilla, YOU LIE!

B.O., YOU LIE!

Democrats as a whole, YOU LIE!

pilamaye on February 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I heard “boy”, as in boy do these Fascist-Democrats lie. A lot.

rbj on February 25, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Feckless, groping, stumbling, and wandering…..Here’s your Democrat Party America.

“judge a tree by its fruit….”

ted c on February 25, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Oh how I wish I could throw a big circus tent over all of DC and charge admission to this freak show. Hell, the popcorn sales in the first alone would be enough for me to retire on. Not here, but in Panama or Costa Rica. I don’t know anyone who will have enough money to retire in the U.S….not with these clowns in charge.

scalleywag on February 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I wonder if anyone from the GOP called Dingy on this? I couldn’t watch much of today’s goings on. I tried, but to keep from nodding off I had to step outside and watch the grass grow.

WarEagle01 on February 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM

The guy is one big LIAR.

rjoco1 on February 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

He’s a democrat, they don’t lie. They just redefine the meaning of words like “is” so everything they say is true.

Scrappy on February 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Wonder why.

Good Lt on February 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Not to mention a complete absence of qu33r sex thugs demanding something. Guess they are afraid that this faux conference of Obumbles might discuss how much their perverted form of recreation costs the insurance companies.

platypus on February 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

If most political arguments deteriorate down to the single question — are you an idiot or are you a liar? — then the answer from the Democrats must be “yes”.

Jaibones on February 25, 2010 at 3:13 PM

BY ALLAHPUNDIT

Oh, the party we’re going to have when he crashes and burns on election night.

I may even commission a new humpbot video for the occasion. Shhhh.

I am counting the days, AP.

Jaibones on February 25, 2010 at 3:17 PM

C’mon, that was last week when he talked about reconciliation. You don’t really expect a politician, especially a despicable little moron like Harry Reid, to remember what lies he told last week, do you? /s

scalleywag on February 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM

So will this go down with the Chicago Olympics, Copenhagan and China?

Barack Obama with a long face, grasping a big bag o’ nothing?

Ha!

NoDonkey on February 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Not too many appear to consider important now. I wonder if Byrd himself still does.

Probably the only thing Byrd considers important these days is that they use those really soft Depends.

Oldnuke on February 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Typical lib. History means nothing. Let’s just make sh!t up as we go along.

Dominion on February 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Which is why a certain 200 year old document is also no longer important.

MarkTheGreat on February 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Nobody talked about reconciliation at the summit.
Come on, Ed! Everyone knows what Harry meant. Don’t be so obtuse!

KeepOhioRed on February 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Liberals do not believe that there is any such things as objective reality or facts.

There is, for them, only a narrative which they can spin any way they want.

They think they do not lie; they spin reality, like spiders.

Dhuka on February 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM

jimmy Buffet wrote a song about this: “Come Monday”.

BHO Jonestown on February 25, 2010 at 4:51 PM

This was probably the low point for Dems today. Although they had many.

They actually got smart and started saying they were giving everyone what congress has… which if you polled that you would get a huge majority. So Dems wised up after the lunch break.

Republicans need to rebut this issue because it has the possibility of sticking.

Why would it take 2700 pages to add all Americans to the same insurance pool as congress?

Is that even possible? It actually sounds like a good plan.

But of course it is a lie when coming from Dems…

But Republicans should offer that as a plan and get a CBO report on it.

petunia on February 25, 2010 at 4:52 PM

LIAR!!!

nazo311 on February 25, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Time for some vitamin B-12 senator?

Mojave Mark on February 25, 2010 at 6:35 PM

There is, for them, only a narrative which they can spin any way they want.

They think they do not lie; they spin reality, like spiders.

Dhuka on February 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Well I spin Harry’s statement as a promise that they aren’t going to use reconciliation! He said no one was even talking about it! So it’s a deal then they won’t do it, right!

Spin spin spin can turn around on you.

petunia on February 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM

“Ever since I came out.”

Harry Reid is gay?

Enkidu on February 25, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Byrd is two neurons above persistent vegetative state. I doubt he could remember how to spell “important” now.

SKYFOX on February 26, 2010 at 10:47 AM