Pelosi: It’s not a health-care reform bill, it’s a jobs bill!

posted at 12:15 pm on February 25, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I’m sure there will be many moments from today’s health-care summit that will be worthy of clipping and saving, but this one from our new colleague Greg Hengler may be the strangest one of all.  In arguing for the current version of ObamaCare, whatever that is at the moment, Nancy Pelosi claims that it will create four million jobs — or nearly half of all the jobs lost over the last two years:

Let’s put this in perspective. The health-care sector already employs 14.3 million people.  The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that this sector will add 3.2 million more people in the next eight years, thanks to an aging population.  It can do that now because it doesn’t operate under price controls that will come as part of the ObamaCare bill.  If Congress passes a bill that forces smaller payments to doctors and hospitals, that will actually impede hiring to meet the demand — and that is exactly what “bending the cost curve downward” means.

Pelosi also claims that passing the House version of ObamaCare would add 400,000 new jobs immediately.  Where?  Well, those would be the people that the government would have to hire to run their exchanges, manage the federal public option, and enforce individual mandates, among other ObamaCare initiatives. It’s a bureaucratic expansion, the kind of “jobs bill” that will further burden the private sector.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So anybody figure out yet what Biden’s doing at this meeting?

highhopes on February 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM

He heard there would be a free lunch.

NoDonkey on February 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Technically she’s right.

Every person who dies while waiting for his rationed care leaves a job waiting to be filled.

jeff_from_mpls on February 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Uhh, if the whole point is to cut spending on health care, why would more jobs be desirable? That would mean even more spending on health care. Democrats don’t seem to understand that labor and expense are connected. They seem to think that money and jobs are magically created.

JamesB on February 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM

It will create some jobs for future republican congress critters.

Elizabetty on February 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Nancy Pelosi claims that it will create four million jobs

That’s how many beaurocrats it will take to run these new programs.

MarkTheGreat on February 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I work in a hospital laboratory, and we just started an FDA inspection yesterday, so maybe I’m biased when I ask how many of those 4 million jobs will be dedicated to preventing work from being done?

malclave on February 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Based on the expressions on their faces, I wonder what the President and Vice President are thinking when Speaker Pelosi is making her statement about jobs…

Conservative in NOVA on February 25, 2010 at 3:48 PM

How many jobs have Pelosi’s face-lifts saved or created?

Her eyebrows are beginning to encroach on her hairline.

selias on February 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I guess I’m gonna be a doctor!

elderberry on February 25, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Private Pyle, you have got to be sh**ting me!!

JohnGalt23 on February 25, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Psychotics, one and all. Arrogant, dangerously megalomaniacal psychotics.

HAnthonyWayne on February 25, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I am sitting at the kitchen table as you speak Speaker. Your photo is on my wall the repeated victim of numerous darts.

I put Reid`s poster up too but it gave my kids nightmares.

Meanwhile Obummer is sitting over there pretending to listen to Pelousi, his enormous brainpan cradled in his hands.

Meanwhile I get a phone call from a Brontosaurus and he is asking Obama to return his brain.

Did I mention I despise the trio?

The Three Socialteers . . . .

ONE for none and all for Zero!

And will they really arrest me if I don`t my buy into my Zero-given healthcare (when, I am sorry to believe), the bill passes?

Hmmm . . . . But if they put me in jail I get three squares and a bunk and . . . . the infirmary, right? I get healthcare for not getting healthcare.

Give me Liberty or give me healthcare?

Sherman1864 on February 26, 2010 at 7:28 AM

And my apologies for not addressing you, Sloppy Joe Biden.

Not to worry, your hide is as *mangy as the rest of your fellow travellers, Biden.

Now, good afternoon, Biden!

I said, “Good afternoon!”

(Hear “mangy” pronounced in two ways, if you are of a mind to . . . .)

Sherman1864 on February 26, 2010 at 7:45 AM

malclave on February 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM

LOL. How fondly I remember the Naval Reactors inspectors coming onboard for my inspections and calmly telling me how they were there to ensure I ran our nuclear reactor safely, and how they would show me how other ships did their programs well also. I even became one of those who “helped” my ships operate their reactors more safely by drowning them in paperwork and micromanaging their every move in the name of the God of Reactor Safety.

But those inspectors and I sure never made life easier for those inspected, and we didn’t really improve the product, now did we? We just ruined people who couldn’t do things as well as the absolute best could. So if you were a good operator, but not the best, then you were seen as damaged goods and suffered accordingly.

I am sure I certainly ruined some Men’s lives with my comments over those 15 years. But then, I was from the government, and I was there to help. How many died from premature aging and the stress of keeping from choking me and their stupid bosses, we’ll never know.

Subsunk