Paul Ryan to Obama: You realize your bill is a fiscal disaster, right?

posted at 5:50 pm on February 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via the Standard, this was the most buzzed-about moment among righties on Twitter this afternoon, and with good reason. Now that you’ve laughed at the freak-show stuff, settle in for six minutes of Ryan wonking out about what’s destined to happen to the “cost curve” and our annual deficits if The One’s leviathan bill passes. This has always been a core problem of Obama’s health-care pitch: He knows that the moral argument for the bill — sure, it’ll cost us dearly but it’s worth it to insure the uninsured — is a political loser so he resorts to preposterous assertions about how our giant new federal entitlement will actually save us money in the long run. It’s win-win, you see. (Kaus dubbed this nonsense “Orszagism” after The One’s budget chief.) I think I’ve said before that it reminds me of the left’s arguments about enhanced interrogation. They won’t acknowledge that intel could be lost if detainees aren’t pressured because the public will blanch at that trade-off. So voila: Simply insist that enhanced interrogation never, ever, ever works and the circle is squared. Win-win again. There are no trade-offs in Candyland.

So unpersuasive is his argument that a clear majority of 53 percent says America can’t afford to take these vital “cost-saving” measures right now. (The same poll puts Obama’s health-care approval rating at 35/55.) Viva Orszagism.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I dunno maybe it is more of a promotional disaster than true war.

Something along the lines of WKRP’s “As God is my witness, I thought turkey’s could fly.”

Lily on February 25, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Lily:)
====================
WKRP Turkey Drop “As God as my witness I thought turkeys could fly”
——————–

canopfor on February 25, 2010 at 8:09 PM

You’re kidding, right? What type of executive experience do you gain in the senate?

Case against your point? Our current POTUS.

donh525 on February 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

The Senate is a more prominent position.

terryannonline on February 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I think his point was it would be preferable if Ryan got himself some executive experience so people could determine for themselves whether he’s leadership material or not. Obama is an excellent example of someone who totally lacks any leadership ability whatsoever.

Given the way Ryan took control of his portion of the debate today, I would say he probably is a leader, but it still helps to have some experience running things and managing people before you arrive at the White House. I would rather see him run for governor first, or serve as someone’s VP. He’s certainly shaping up to be a star for the party, but he’s still young and I’d rather see him get some executive experience first.

NoLeftTurn on February 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM

And he didn’t use a teleprompter, either (grin)

golfer1 on February 25, 2010 at 8:19 PM

canopfor on February 25, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Would you learn to post? When including another posters comments in your reply, please put their post in blockquotes.

Example: <blockquote>Their stuff here!</blockquote>

It will make your contribution a little more intelligible, if such a thing is possible.

mastercylinder on February 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Test.

mastercylinder on February 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Witness the Cuda’s Budget Director in 2013 in action.

Sarah’s courage will win the POTUS, and Paul Ryan’s number-crunching articlulateness will help to ensure the USA’s solvency.

Sapwolf on February 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Is this working? Test!

mrpeabody on February 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM

NoLeftTurn on February 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Ryan is a graduate of Joseph A. Craig High School in Janesville and earned a degree in economics and political science from Miami University in Ohio where he was a member of Delta Tau Delta Fraternity. He has worked in the private sector as an economic analyst and previously served as president of his own consulting firm.

Looks like he has executive experience to me.

mizflame98 on February 25, 2010 at 8:32 PM

canopfor on February 25, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Thanks, canopfor, youtube is blocked here at the hospital I am sitting in so I couldn’t put in a link like I wanted.

Lily on February 25, 2010 at 8:37 PM

“This is a Ponzi scheme.”

Hey, welcome to Socialism.

logis on February 25, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Paul Ryan delivers the knockouot! Kapow!

John E. on February 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I personally think the guy is overwhelmed by the job. He really wasn’t ready to be president, and he’s probably suffering more than any of us.

AnninCA on February 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I have no idea what Mr Obama’s present mental state is but you raise an interesting point. How are national leaders affected when they flop? How does a narcissist in chief react when he/she plummets in the ratings?

I have often wondered about Messrs Blair and Brown.

Both of them wanted to be loved. Both of them were arrogant. Both of them wanted to make a name for themselves, and to be admired as men who transformed the UK into a place that people marvel at.

They did transform the UK, and people do marvel … at how much destruction they wrought in their 12-13 years of control.

Both men are now despised, and the problems facing the country as a result of their policies and failings are so massive that it is almost inconceivable that anybody of note is going to say their leadership was good for the UK.

What happens inside the minds of people who fail so spectacularly and undeniably in their required performance and also in their desire to be loved and admired and respected?

YiZhangZhe on February 25, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Ryan smoked him! That one will never make the MSM coverage!

I think that was rep John Kline (R-MN) trying to conceal his woodie in the background.

Oh, and

mastercylinder on February 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM

lighten up, we’re not all geeks or English professors here.

2ipa on February 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Ryan did what we fishermen call “gutting the catch”. He tore BO and the rest of the lying POS libtards a new orifice.

David in ATL on February 25, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Did you really state that following the Constitution would lead to anarchy?

Nathan_OH on February 25, 2010 at 7:27 PM

No. Just that arguing for ‘freedom and liberty’ rather than constitutional government opens oneself to question of “how is the income tax not an undue imposition on our freedom”, etc etc. The question is not the philosophical nature of government, but rather, the question is “is this constitutional”. Wishy-washy terms like liberty and freedom aren’t the backbone of policy arguments…save that stuff for when we write the next constitution ;-)

ernesto on February 25, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Just finished watching this. I just about jumped up and shouted for joy! Amazingly well done and has been pointed out, he did it without a teleprompter.

Yakko77 on February 25, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Oh, when it comes to absolute beat downs the likes of which Rep. Ryan laid on Obama, I humbly submit the photo I’m linking below as a cover photo,

KA-BOOM!!!!

Yakko77 on February 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM

AnninCA on February 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I’m just all broken up inside about Obama’s suffering. Yeah, those multi-thousand dollar date nights in Chicago and New York, million dollar trips to Hawaii, free trips around the world, adoring news interviews from coast to coast, all night parties with all the hoity-toity… I’ll bet his wife is suffering, too, from those thousand dollar tennis shoes, multi-thousand dollar lunches at the best restaurants…

Yeah, I’m just weeping buckets.

JDPerren on February 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM

How many times does Obama blink during this beat down? I would love to see his thought bubbles…(“Who the f!@k is this guy? Doesn’t he know that I won? What a punk. He better hire someone to start his car from now on. My IQ is way higher than his. Can I just call on someone else? SHUT UP ALREADY!!!”)

LASue on February 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Interesting look on Obama’s face during Ryan’s brilliant explanation. It was clear he was thinking a number of things
1. I want this guy dead
2. I want the person who thought this summit was a good idea dead.

marnes on February 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM

“This is a Ponzi scheme.”

It’s all a Ponzi scheme. That’s why we’re $12 trillion in debt. Or is it $13 trillion now?

misterpeasea on February 25, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Allahpundit said the following:

for six minutes of Ryan wonking out about

So I went and googled it and this is what I found at Urbandictionary .Com (see below)

Allah using words associtated with Blowjobs, fingering and eating out.

No wondering I never really enjoyed his writing.

wonking wonk

1. wonking

Is anything but intercourse..fingering.oral.handjobs.

The wonking i got today was awesome
fingering handjob head blowjob eating out

by Chelsy Jun 15, 2006 share this

There are so many writers that are much better than Allahpundit.

It is what it is …

This is like a Shepard Smith Jennifer Lopez Blowjob moment.

father on February 25, 2010 at 11:41 PM

father on February 25, 2010 at 11:41 PM

As opposed to wanking?

No wondering.

2ipa on February 26, 2010 at 12:03 AM

I really, really, really like Ryan. It’s nice to someone who can crunch numbers like that communicate the math so clearly. The more I see him attack the real problem – the out of control spending and over control of government – the more I suspect he is POTUS material.

He knows his stuff and can be forceful, clear and commanding with a topic without sounding like he is taking potshots – when he called the bill a Ponzi scheme it didn’t sound like personal insult – it sounded like what it was, an astute analysis of the mechanics of the bill.

Nice style. Even nicer substance.

ace tomato on February 26, 2010 at 12:54 AM

MAN!

I sooooooo HEART Paul Ryan!!

:D

Handel on February 26, 2010 at 1:37 AM

i think the youtube video of Paul Ryan has been corrupted with band music…
same on althouse’s blog, probably same vid…

Shenanigans!

silverfox on February 26, 2010 at 2:44 AM

father on February 25, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Wonk= Geek or nerdy. At least it always has to me.

Dragoonchris on February 26, 2010 at 3:39 AM

If the GOP is fortunate enough to take over the House this November, I’d like to see Ryan as majority leader.

ncconservative on February 26, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Ryan “Table-Wiper” Ryan– you give me faith that a smart person can get elected in this country. Hott stuff indeed.

leftnomore on February 26, 2010 at 4:24 AM

YiZhangZhe on February 25, 2010 at 8:50 PM

It’s called denial, and it’s a very effective defense mechanism. It’s how Obama could (seriously) grade his first year in office as “a solid B+.” He simply doesn’t see or acknowledge what the rest of us see. No matter how spectacular a failure his one-term presidency turns out to be, he will never admit (to himself or anyone else) that he failed. In his mind, the narrative will always be that he was a fabulous president, but the rest of us were just too stupid to appreciate it.

AZCoyote on February 26, 2010 at 7:02 AM

I cannot image what it must be like being a Democrat where you must put out lie after lie in attempts to pass legislation. Where you must target the gullible and the ignorant day after day trying to legislate against history, logic, and the American people.

Today’s Democrats represent evil in it truest form where the goal is always to subjugate, control and impose an ideology on those they feel are beneath them. History is full of these people and until Americans accept the obvious, we remain vulnerable to what history has shown over and over again to be a bad idea.

artman1746 on February 26, 2010 at 8:24 AM

It was especially enjoyable to see a graduate of a state university in Ohio put the beat down on an Ivy Leaguer. Go Redskins (Redhawks).

AcidReflux on February 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Obama has spent his whole life hustling and conning the gullible and, on rare occasions, where that fails, trumping blindsided opponents with the race card.

Now this inflexible, dogmatic narcissist, caught in the very trap he sought to set for the Republicans, has bared his soul to the entire world-and that soul has revealed itself to be a Marxist martinet and an incompetent and stupid one to boot.

MaiDee on February 26, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Yeah, I feel sorry for poor Obama too.
Not! This **shole campaigned down and dirty for this job and he has performed it down and dirty. His socialism push is wrong and people do not want it. He doesn’t give a crap. Nothing about him is honest or good and his administration is racking up a body count (which really pisses me off).
Any and all smackdowns are appreciated.

ORconservative on February 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Let’s face it. Dems can’t do math……….

adamsmith on February 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I think the guy to Ryan’s left looked like he wanted to kiss his cheek! LOLOL.

Paul Ryan was superb yesterday. Couldn’t have been better.

Oink on February 26, 2010 at 8:59 AM

artman1746 on February 26, 2010 at 8:24 AM

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
—Joseph Goebbels

They have prevaricated so long on Obamacare – they may just have come to the point of believing themselves….

Oopsdaisy on February 26, 2010 at 9:22 AM

This is simple robbery to fund all the over bad ideas that put us in debt. They can steal the cash in the medical industry and use it to over the debts in SS, medicare etc.

We cannot continue this. In Denmark, the average person is taxed to 70% of their income. It prevents them from every rising in class, income, and kills mobility.

You become slaves to the elite.

archer52 on February 26, 2010 at 9:31 AM

AcidReflux on February 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I thought the same thing (although a lot of people across the Midwest think MU’s a private school — pure genius by their Admissions office). Between Ryan and P.J. O’Rourke, this Ohio Bobcat simply can’t muster up the same level of dislike for Miami I had in college.

T.D.D. on February 26, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Paul Ryan–you rock.

And thank you.

Niere on February 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM

No matter how you say it, print it, or define it, IT is spending and spending is not what the Government is in the business of doing. For that matter, Government is not a business.

MSGTAS on February 26, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Allah, HotAir has a lot of great posts, but this may be the best post of the year. It\’s a short, sweet “Emperor, you have no clothes” confrontation.

Mark30339 on February 26, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Did someone in that room have a ringtone of a college fight song? There was some band music playing through the first part of the show.

hawksruleva on February 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM

If the Dems are so sure that their bill will not incur additional expenses… I say they put their money where their mouth is!

Add an addition to the bill that states… “Liens will be immediately enforced on any assets owned by Congressmen who vote to pass this bill. After four years time, the CBO will evaluate the true cost of this bill. If at that time, the expenses outpace the revenue, the liens will be enforced and those assets seized and sold to pay the additional expense, and the law will be considered null and void.”

I know… but I can dream can’t I?

dominigan on February 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Kudos to Rep. Paul Ryan and big round of thanks to him as well.

He did an excellent job of laying out the facts clearly while avoiding the use of talking points and rhetoric to make his point.

eanax on February 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I have a curious, and even disturbing, attraction to Rep. Paul Ryan.

CarolynM on February 26, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Just noticed since Salem took over Ed posts in the morning and Allah in the afternoon, late afternoon!

I hope Salem didn’t cut you guys hours to half days in this time of economic peril!

dhunter on February 26, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Ryan did an excellent job at exposing the entire fiscal mess that the Democrat’s health bills would impose upon this country. But what I am fuming about right now is the sneaky middle finger that Obama gave Ryan near the end of Ryan’s comments. Obama is a real class act………….no.

SC.Charlie on February 26, 2010 at 11:02 AM

i think the youtube video of Paul Ryan has been corrupted with band music…
same on althouse’s blog, probably same vid…

Shenanigans!

silverfox on February 26, 2010

You might want to stay off Youtube, Facebook and Myspace for a while. My daughter went on those last week and imported a nasty virus into our computer from one of them. The computer geek who cleaned our system tells us that all three are infested with new viruses and they may not be safe for a while.

SKYFOX on February 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Paul Ryan and the very handsome Eric Cantor.

HornetSting on February 25, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Eric Cantor and the very handsome Paul Ryan. ;)

redridinghood on February 26, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Rep. Ryan was rushed to the hospital with unexplained 3rd degree burns:

The Zoo Keeper on February 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Yeah, I’m just weeping buckets.

JDPerren on February 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM

+100

I got into it in the comments section of a liberal blog about this last week. These dumb liberals still think this guy actually ran for President to do something. Wrong! He ran for President so he could be President. He loves the title, the trappings, the ceremonies, Air Force One, the Nobel Peace Prize. He punted everything substantive to Congress on purpose, because he never intended to actually do the job. He brought the biggest PR apparatus in history to the White House to make his image ubiquitous so that the people would equate his personal popularity with his job approval.

I don’t think he swaets any of this stuff. The Republicans may have pwned him on substance yesterday, but he got to sit there on TV for 6 hours with a sign in front of him that said “President Barack Obama.” That’s all that matters to him.

rockmom on February 26, 2010 at 11:56 AM

SKYFOX on February 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Woo! Thanks for the tip.
I was actually going to go on YouTube tonight & make a reply comment!
Won’t be doing that for a while!

Badger40 on February 26, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Obama also made outrageous claims that health care reform would balance the budget and was the key to fixing the economy , and would fix the jobs situation. What an absolute crock.

ElRonaldo on February 26, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Nice style. Even nicer substance.

ace tomato on February 26, 2010 at 12:54 AM

I think Ryan could have gone into much further detailed mathematical analyses on the bill, but picked his #s wisely bcs he knows that few in Congress can do math.

Badger40 on February 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM

AnninCA on February 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

The first part of your comment is a given, but the part about the suffering? You’re kidding, aren’t you?

theaddora on February 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Ever notice how the President has no command of etiquette?

The proper form of address to a congressman is either “Congressman or woman or Representative,” and the proper form of address to a senator is “Senator.” He continually addresses all of these gentlemen and ladies by their first name. Not to mention the fact that he keeps having to tell them that “I’m the president.”

I pray Vice President Cheney is correct that the President is a one-termer.

Tennman on February 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Though I’d been following the health summit comments yesterday, today was the first time I was able to sit down and listen to some of the meaty stuff.

Rep. Ryan was extremely effective, in total command of the facts, translated 2000+ pages of budget nightmare into clear terms that even the doofus Congress could understand. All without a teleprompter.

I think I’m in love. :)

Kirin on February 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Re: wonk

Here is a dictionary definition.

wonk
Date 1954

: a person preoccupied with arcane details or procedures in a specialized field; broadly : nerd <a policy wonk> <a computer wonk>

LarryD on February 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Rep. Ryan was rushed to the hospital with unexplained 3rd degree burns:

The Zoo Keeper on February 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM

LOL- if looks could kill.

redridinghood on February 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM

His mental state is questionable but he has not reached a state where he sees himself as failing to achieve a goal that was given to him while still a child and enforced as he grew into a man. As bizarre as this session seems to be as to its intent, it was clear to him; that he would take charge and vanquish those who are preventing him from succeeding and at the same time champion himself in doing what his party has failed to be able to do. The comment about not counting his time because he was president, as well as the way it was delivered shows a disconnection with those around him and a self imposed elevation of his own stature. This is consistent with a narcissistic psychosis. As a narcissist he is not likely able to see himself as failing or even able to personally fail. He will find blame in others as to the reason he has not been successful and admired for his self perceived, infallible greatness. Predictably that will fail to achieve what he needs to sustain his narcissist view of himself. It will also be the beginning of the next stage of his psychosis into what we familiarly term, psychotic. He will widen the blame from the individuals to those that exist as a group beginning with those collectively referred to as Tea Party supporters, Republicans, and eventually widens to all those that he does not perceive as sharing his goals of a society where everyone shares common goals of community and party and gives him a place in history among his perceived progressive heroes and great leaders. With his power he can force the nation that defied him to suffer the consequences by the total destruction both as a sovereign nation and as a world power.
That brings up an interesting question. How do we deal with a psychotic president and at what point will we recognize the fact that he has become imbalanced? The Constitution gives us the power to deal with the issue but using that power is not so forthright with opposing political and ideological parties.

Franklyn on February 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Awesome. Truly beautifully done by Ryan.

MT on February 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Now, where has this Ryan been all my (political) Life? Awesome job!!

lizzie-e on February 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Kohl’s Senate seat is up for re-election in 2012, and there was some talk about drafting Ryan for the governor’s race this fall. But that race has drawn a good candidate from Milwaukee (Scott Walker), plus Ryan’s economic talents are much better suited to the House than the Senate.

He’s in the perfect spot if the GOP can retake the House this fall, which is why I think he’ll stay there and get plucked as the VP by whomever wins the primary in 2012.

BadgerHawk on February 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I wistfully wish he would run against Obey, I so loathe that man. Not sure Duffy is going to be able to pull it off. I sure hope so. I agree that Ryan is needed where he is, he was smoking in the summit. Loved the Ponzi scheme comment.

wi farmgirl on February 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM

“Ever notice how the President has no command of etiquette?

I pray Vice President Cheney is correct that the President is a one-termer.

Tennman on February 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM”

Would have loved to see McCain respond; “Well, Barry..”

Star20 on February 26, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Hey NoLeftTurn….the Ryan family lives and breathes executive experience in their family business in Wisconsin.
The OHOLE has no experience whatsoever…..

psychocyber on February 26, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Kind of like your arguments, wingnut.

HornetSting on February 25, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I think the “nut” here is someone who is interested more in me than in a fascinating discussion about a major issue today.

THAT reflects upon you.

What strange priorities you endorse.

Unbelievable Ann. YOU truly are. You dismissed Ryan and his clear logical presentation saying clearly the problem with progressive socialism is that it cannot be financially sustained, and you just dismissed him with a stupid, off the cuff remark of “same old, same old.”
You were the little kid who is still mad at her parents for reminding you that money didn’t grow on trees and you couldn’t have every shiny little bauble you thought that you should have.
Ryan was just Daddy reminding you that everyone should grow up and learn how to pay for their own things, and for big brother to get lost. We don’t need him.

IN short dear be pulling that huge beam out of your eye before you go whining about someone else’s moat. Your argument was horribly insufficient for a response. Whiny and immature. Now get with the program.

Noelie on February 27, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Paul Ryan: well-spoken, informed, intelligent, firm but fair. And rather easy on the eyes. :-)

Viva conservatives!