Audio: Pawlenty endorses McCain in AZ primary

posted at 1:36 pm on February 25, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Jamie Allman talked with Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty this morning on his St. Louis talk radio show and got him to endorse McCain publicly. That doesn’t exactly come as a shock; Pawlenty was one of the first major political figures in the country to endorse McCain for President in 2007, and stuck with McCain through the near-collapse of his campaign. Nor is Pawlenty alone in making a pitch for McCain. Sarah Palin, a Tea Party favorite, drew some ire for her endorsement of McCain over J. D. Hayworth, who has assiduously courted the Tea Party movement:

As I remarked to Jazz Shaw this morning on his Internet show, McCain remains fairly popular in his home state, and Hayworth has made it more difficult for national figures to back him with his Birther flirtations. However, it’s interesting to see national figures flocking to McCain; it shows that he may be more worried now about his primary chances than he has been for a long time.

For Pawlenty, this is a safe choice. As a man attempting to build a national following, he’s expected to weigh in on these kinds of races, as is Palin, and Palin’s endorsement clears the ground for Pawlenty. Even without those considerations, though, Pawlenty would have likely endorsed McCain anyway, just on the basis of loyalty. That also probably played heavily in Palin’s decision, although for less good cause, considering the treatment she’s received post-election from McCain’s campaign team.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

2Brave2BScared on February 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

The last time I checked the 1st Amendment, 2nd Amendment and the 10th Amendment were parts of the Constitution and show my anytime, anywhere Palin has not defended free speech, the right to bear arms and state’s rights and I will give you a big fat kiss, because there is not one time that Palin has not stood for these amendments or for the federal government to follow the Constitution.

As for your other allegations about climate change (cap and trade), illegal immigration, and fiscal responsibility and reducing the debt all you need to do is read her Facebook posts, review her speeches or listen to her several interviews to prove to yourself that you are patently wrong about what Palin stands for.

technopeasant on February 25, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Unfortunately JD Hayworth is no Marco Rubio…

phreshone on February 25, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I agree that Hayworth is no Rubio, but Pawlenty needed a Hail Mary pass after his performance at CPAC invoking Elin Nordegren’s 9-iron and claiming on MTP that “if God was good enough for the Founding Fathers that it was good enough for him”. Endorsing Hayworth would have been a bold move, but if Hayworth ends up beating McCain, he would have looked like a genius. Now if McCain beats Hayworth no one will remember that Pawlenty endorsed him.

technopeasant on February 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Since this is more a public like (with registration0 he can talk to whom ever he likes.

But Mad has a point and you swayed to the left.

Poptech, is that you?

upinak on February 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM

LOL are you really this stupid?
awwww do you feel poor widdle MadisonCoward needs you to defend him?

Point 1) I wasn’t interested in MadisonCoward’s opinion on the matter; I was interested in the person I asked

Point 2) I guess you didn’t notice, but I didn’t say nor imply that MadisonCoward couldn’t butt in, I merely asked him why he did. Does that make any difference to you? If not, why not?

Point 3) tell me what’s wrong with this picture, if you dare: MadisonCoward tries to redirect a conversation I tried to start with someone else, and you criticize me, not him, for being diversionary? LOL nice work, sweetie! :)

PS do you know what “red herring” means? Do you care?

Bizarro No. 1 on February 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on February 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I really think you are poptech now. *wink*

Keep that herring alive…. I can smell you from up here.

upinak on February 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I just gave you an example of Palin advocating the federal government not follow the Constitution. In fact, I gave you more than one. But I’ll re-post her quote for you:

“I say, too, with education, America needs to be putting a lot more focus on that and our schools have got to be really ramped up in terms of the funding that they are deserving. Teachers needed to be paid more.”

This was in context of the federal education system, which is completely unconstitutional. I could go on, but you appear to be so in love with your particular projection of Palin that I doubt you can be convinced.

Save your kisses. Read the Constitution, specifically Article 1, Section 8. When you don’t find anything there that grants Congress authority to fund public education system, ask yourself how much Palin truly believes in the 10th amendment.

technopeasant on February 25, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I have listened enough to Palin to know what she’s about. And she’s not about constitutionality.

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I really think you are poptech now. *wink*

Keep that herring alive…. I can smell you from up here.

upinak on February 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM

You’re a unserious, anxiety-ridden, immature, intellectual lightweight, just like your little boy MadisonCoward is. [headpat]

You’re dismissed; enjoy my ignoring of you, honey pie! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on February 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM

MadisonCoward

That’s good. MadisonLiberal also works.

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I know we’d agree that MC is and/or can be a whiny punk, but I don’t agree with you that he is a liberal. Why do you think he is one?

Bizarro No. 1 on February 25, 2010 at 4:22 PM

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM
Bizarro No. 1 on February 25, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Interesting. Two Ron Pauliots complaining about someone who writes for Hot Air, and another who helped start a movement.

LOL what have you both done? Oh that is right… nothing memorable. Have at it!

upinak on February 25, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Pawlenty and McCain. Two people who will never be president.

rrpjr on February 25, 2010 at 4:56 PM

What is going on???

Something is happening and I am not sure what it is, all these people supporting McCain(Palin,Romney,Pawlenty,Brown) and McCain supporting Crist it’s like they are closing rank around RINOS, maybe these people are not who we thought they were.
I live in AZ. and don’t want McCain anymore, my candidate Simcox dropped out and is supporting Hayworth.
Seems like these people are really not really conservatives at all just more progressives. SIGH!!!
I think we are being snowed AGAIN.

concernedsenior on February 25, 2010 at 5:00 PM

LOL what have you both done? Oh that is right… nothing memorable. Have at it!

upinak on February 25, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Another idiot who thinks he knows something about me and my politics but in actual fact knows nothing.

Try again, fool.

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Ron Paul, When politics become “yours” then we can talk.

upinak on February 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Ron Paul, When politics become “yours” then we can talk.

upinak on February 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM

But then, really, what more can I expect from someone who supports the phony conservative airhead Sarah Palin? I certainly can’t expect intelligence.

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 5:17 PM

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 5:17 PM

*smiles*

Spoken like a true paulian. Keep it up… you are ammusing me.

upinak on February 25, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Spoken like a true paulian. Keep it up… you are ammusing me.

upinak on February 25, 2010 at 5:18 PM

The only one laughing is me, buddy. Me, a “paulian.” LOL. If you knew me you’d know how inaccurate that is.

But you keep at it. I don’t care. I take solace in the fact that I’m right about you while you remain wholly ignorant about me.

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 5:24 PM

This looks the line-up of the GOP regulars. *haha

AnninCA on February 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Palin is not a RINO or the Tea Partiers would not be embracing her and giving her the highest favorability among Republican or conservative politicians at above 60% (Econ/youguv poll), has attacked global warming, believes in securing the borders and not amnesty for illegals, believes in the government adhering to and following the Constitution including the 2nd Amendment and the 10th Amendment, low taxes and reducing the deficit and debt.

Ok, let’s go through these one by one.

(Palin…)

has attacked global warming

Of course, she was for measures like cap and trade before she was against them.

believes in securing the borders and not amnesty for illegals

But she is for amnesty:

Q: Do you then favor an amnesty for the 12 million undocumented immigrants?

A: No, I do not. Not total amnesty. You know, people have got to follow the rules. We have got to make sure that there is equal opportunity and those who are here legally should be first in line for services being provided and those opportunities that this great country provides.

Q: So you support a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants?

A: I do because I understand why people would want to be in America. To seek the safety and prosperity, the opportunities, the health that is here. It is so important that yes, people follow the rules so that people can be treated equally and fairly in this country.

Her hemming an hawing aside, she is in favor of amnesty for illegals.

This is a flat-out lie. Palin believes in: school vouchers and “ramping” up funding for the public school system, various reforms to social security/medicare/medicaid, nation building overseas (Bush doctrine), etc., all of which are unconstitutional.

low taxes and reducing the deficit and debt.

That was Sarah Palin in the vice presidential debate in 2008. Yeah, that sounds like someone who believes in the Constitution and reducing the deficit. Not.

Sarah Palin is not a believer in the Constitution. She’s just another one of these “conservatives” who merely believes in a smaller big government than the Democrats.

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

As the saying goes, you might be entitled to your own opinions, but you are NOT entitled to your own facts.

Global warming…

Sarah is not a believer in man made global warming. She has said there may or may not be changes in climate, but she has also said she absolutely does not think man can cause climate change.

This is an incredibly astute position. In fact, just to make sure she was correct, as Governor, Sarah actually put together a sub-cabinet to look into things.

I find you incredibly uninformed, BTW, because if Sarah was some sort of flat earther who believed in global warming, she wouldn’t be slamming the left at ever turn on developing all of our natural energy resources.

Dill Baby, Drill!

Remember, Sarah has written many op-eds, since she has become Governor (2006) on energy independence. In fact, her op-ed slamming the global warming cabal that appeared in the Washington Post last July was the third most read op-ed of the year!

Illegals……

What part of illegal don’t people understand?” -Sarah Palin

Many reasonable people differ on what to do about the illegals here, but Sarah unequivocally believes the borders must be secured first and for good, before anything else happens.

You know, Ronald Reagan also granted amnesty to millions. Of course, Reagan was wrong to trust the democrats, who promised to close the boarders. This is where Sarah will have learned from Ronnie’s mistake, and demand the boarders be closed before anything else is done.

Education….

EVERYONE knows our education system is screwed.

OF COURSE Sarah is for school vouchers, so is everyone else with a brain. Why? BECAUSE THEY WORK! They force schools to compete or die. Everywhere they have been tried the quality of education has risen considerably.

I think teachers, GOOD teachers, should be paid more as well. Blow out the teachers unions and all of the layers of bureaucracy and use the savings to hire competent teachers, and make it performance based.

The rest of your rant is gobbledygook. Meaningless.

OF COURSE
she is for reforming Medicare. Who isn’t?

She’s for a strong national defense. Is that a bad thing?

Sarah’s stance on the War on Terror is pretty straightforward: “We win, they lose!

Protecting the nation against all enemies, foreign and domestic is one of the few duties that IS spelled out in the Constitution.

Sarah Palin is the only real leader this nation has, period. Sarah Palin is the only one with the courage to put it all out there, no matter the consequences.

Politically, if I die, I die, but I won’t sit down and I won’t shut up!” -Sarah Palin

gary4205 on February 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

mmmm, Salted Paulnuts. Go great with beer.

james23 on February 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM

How about Mitch Daniels?
DaydreamBeliever on February 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM

How about Jack Daniels?

About five hundred gallons (each) of it should see us through to the end of another three years of continued RINO idiocy and another four years of Democrat control beyond that…
Well, better make it 750 gallons, just to be sure.

LegendHasIt on February 25, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Wow, 2012 is going to be an interesting year for McCain. Who is he going to endorse? Mitt Romney or Pawlenty? I left out Palin intentionally.

DanStark on February 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM

So-called small government “Maverick” and Arizona Senator John McCain wants to give the federal government more power over the regulation of vitamins and supplements by repealing the classification of these products, currently, as “food”.

The Dietary Supplement and Safety Act would increase regulation over the availability of many vitamins and supplements available to consumers in the “free market”.
………………

LegendHasIt on February 26, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Try again, fool.

2Brave2Bscared on February 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM

That idiot upinak rivals apacalyps for excruciating stupidity.

I bet she sounds as retarded as Sarah P. does when she speaks.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 26, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on February 26, 2010 at 2:23 AM

And I’d wager that you sound as snivelingly juvenile when you speak as you appear to be when you type your comments here

LegendHasIt on February 26, 2010 at 2:27 AM

LegendHasIt on February 26, 2010 at 2:27 AM

On my worst day I don’t come off as snivelingly juvenile as you do here!

Projection, dude, projection. Learn what it means in your life.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 26, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I really don’t think all these endorsements will be of great value to McCain. He still has to run on his record and that is nothing to crow about. He’s a proven loser in the presidential run and his slapdown by the SCOTUS and his amnesty stand are stronger negatives than the endorsements are positives.

SKYFOX on February 26, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on February 26, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Oh, great comeback, PeeWee.
“I know you are, but what am I?” is essentially your reply.
Thanks for proving my point for all to see.

I see here and there on HA today that you have learned a new word, and have been trying it out. You don’t quite have its proper application down yet. Study how the big boys apply “projection” before you try it again. You are close, but are missing some of the important psychological and grammatical nuances.

LegendHasIt on February 26, 2010 at 8:54 PM